• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Officially Shutting Down On November 30th

G4 is ending on November 30th, according to a statement sent out to cable operators by NBC.

NBC Universal has finally pulled the plug on the G4 channel. This is not a huge shock to the network, as they stopped putting further investment into the channel back in 2013 when there was talk of it being replaced by Esquire. The replacement fell upon a different channel. Though, it was decided that G4 would not air any new shows, but rather continue to show reruns of LOST, X-Play, Ninja Warrior, and Heroes, accompanied by an occasional movie.
Great Plains Communications will be removing G4 from the channel lineup, effective November 30, 2014. We apologize for the inconvenience, but would like to remind you that this was a decision made by NBC Universal and we must abide by their contractual requirements.
If you have questions over this change, please call our Customer Response Center at 1-855-853-1483.

Considering they stopped making original programming for it years ago and even lost the Cops rerun rights, can't say it's surprising. But hey, remember when G4/TechTV was really exciting and cool?

Rivitur

Banned
I've heard this all before.

Am I a bad person for wanting another season of Bomb Squad Afghanistan?

PepperedHam

Used to be a great mainstay for my cousin and I when he stayed with me for college. Pop on Attack of the Show, watch some X-Play, some Cheat, and then we'd cheer for that one fire fighter who was always on Ninja Warrior.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm not terribly sure why it took so long. A lot of cable and satellite companies dropped carriage in 2013 and the network was supposed to fully shutter in March or so. What took an extra 7 months?

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm pretty sure G4 is haunted and they can't actually shut it down is why it is still going. The ghost of Ses and Morgan Webb shall live on.

Newboi

I will forever remember ZDTV over TechTV, and especially G4!

GameSpot TV, Screen Savers, Call for help, Eye Drops, Fresh Gear (even Money Machine).

Hopefully a new tech channel all arise one day that will be the spiritual successor to tech TV. Maybe Revision3 is all we'll ever get.

Edit: I forgot about silicon spin.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Wayyy back when, around 2003 I'd say, I used to watch a lot of G4. Judgement Day, Icons and Cinematech were great, I also liked this silly show called Portal which used MMOs to tell stories and stuff. I was pretty young then and I'm not sure how well these shows hold up, particularly Portal, but I have very fond memories of that time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Games only.

That's just Rev3 Games. Not to say that Revision3 is what it once was, either.

good lord

bGIKuZX.jpg

forlorn bloop

OuterLimits

I used to enjoy the channel. Went downhill quickly though.

I actually really miss the channel Fearnet. I heard they kind of merged it with Chiller network. Chiller sucks though.

Drayco21

Tech TV was GOAT, early G4 was gold too. I'll miss awesome stuff like X-Play, AotS, Cheat, Arena, Judgement Day, Cinematech, Portal, Code Monkeys, Icons, and actual televised coverage of E3. I vividly remember hanging out with my friends to watch Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb break down the launch titles for the PS3 around launch and being really disappointed.

Not that G4 has been alive for the past few years. Real shame it all fell apart so ugly.

Edit: Is there even a place to watch any of there shows any more? I think Code Monkeys was on Netflix for a while, but what about the rest of it?

G4 was the first place I saw WC3 played competitively and started following Grubby.

G4 was the first E3 I ever watched. I remember drooling at Killzone 2's now infamous trailer as well as those magical rubber duckies.

Haven't watched it in a long time ( 3-4 years at least). But I remember attack of the show and watching x-play which I used to everyday. I also remember when they used to show anime on late at night ( banner of the stars, etc.). RIP G4!!

Savitar

So does this mean that G4TechTV is going to be finally gone up here in Canada or will it be full of Reviews on the Run as is.

LaserHawk

I think I must have missed any point in G4's history where it was good, thanks to not having cable until I was in college. I won't miss it.

But I've sometimes wondered why a network based around games didn't work, and if there was a way they could have fixed it. And I'm fairly sure they couldn't. It seems like LOTS of channels are going to pot, slowly migrating from the programming they were designed for into cheap reality shows (even Discovery and History!)

If a real G4 exists, it's only in our hearts as we view our favorite video content at the various sites we visit, and watch people play games on Twitch. Maybe the only possible successful G4 is the G4 of our choosing.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I miss Cinematech and Icons.

Man, these were great. Especially Icons.

I have fond memories of G4 from the TechTV days, but it's been like 4 years since I ever actually turned it on. I liked early AotS, but it got worse and worse as it went on. Aside from that, all I ever saw on was Cops and Cheaters.

Top Bottom