• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Officially Shutting Down On November 30th

Cyriades

I never understood how a billion dollar business(videogaming) couldn't sustain a network... they should've had advertisers coming out the wood works fighting for our money.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"REVIEWS ON THE RUN"
"THE LAB WITH LEO LAPORTE"

rofl

The funniest/saddest thing about that is to meet their broadcast requirements, they're still showing episodes of Call For Help, too.

To put that in perspective, this technolgy show predates the release of the original iPhone.

Good.

The funniest/saddest thing about that is to meet their broadcast requirements, they're still showing episodes of Call For Help, too.

To put that in perspective, this technolgy show predates the release of the original iPhone.
Isn't Call For Help still doing new episodes, or did Leo stop?

I mean, it's not like "help me with my computer" has ceased to be a relevant concept...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I never understood how a billion dollar business(videogaming) couldn't sustain a network... they should've had advertisers coming out the wood works fighting for our money.

For an entire channel, gaming is too limited a topic and has an audience that is among the least likely to be watching television. TechTV could have possibly survived, but all this stuff is online now.

nooooo i watch electric playground all the time...unless that's on city tv?

This is about G4 in the U.S. G4 Canada is separate and should be unaffected.

Good.

Isn't Call For Help still doing new episodes, or did Leo stop?

I mean, it's not like "help me with my computer" has ceased to be a relevant concept...

No, it's not. Last new episode was is 2007. They renamed the show and ran it for another year after that.

The age of the content becomes an issue when you're fixing someone's Vista problem.

scitek

Doesn't Reviews on the Run have a pretty decent online following? I wonder if it could sustain itself just streaming.

For an entire channel, gaming is too limited a topic and has an audience that is among the least likely to be watching television. TechTV could have poasibly survived, but all this stuff is online now.

This is about G4 in the U.S. G4 Canada is separate and should be unaffected.

sweet thank you

they started being terrible when they tried to be spike TV part 2 with a dose of MTV personalities like Kevin Pierra and olivia munn.

I have to say I was a huge fan of Olivia Munn then she left TV and became UNBEARABLE. Seeing her Proactive commercial angers me from how unfunny she truly is.

I know people hated it, but I loved watching Cops all fucking day.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I found it right before Tech TV became G4. Miss The Screensavers, Icons the most. Liked X Play too.

And...I miss Street Fury.

Tech TV was GOAT, early G4 was gold too. I'll miss awesome stuff like X-Play, AotS, Cheat, Arena, Judgement Day, Cinematech, Portal, Code Monkeys, Icons, and actual televised coverage of E3. I vividly remember hanging out with my friends to watch Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb break down the launch titles for the PS3 around launch and being really disappointed.

Not that G4 has been alive for the past few years. Real shame it all fell apart so ugly.

Edit: Is there even a place to watch any of there shows any more? I think Code Monkeys was on Netflix for a while, but what about the rest of it?

Damn....I am missing it more n more now after reading more posts... :-(

TheAznOne

G4TV the show was memorable for me. Tina Wood, Laura Foy, and Scot Rubin. No Geoff Keighley. I remember listening to the live taping of those weeks. During one of the breaks, Tina Wood and Laura Foy went to use the bathroom. Unknown to them, the mics were still live. Ah man, the chatroom went crazy when it happened. Kinda reminded me of that scene in the Naked Gun movie when Drebin relieves himself in the restroom when he forgot to take off the mic.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I miss Cinematech and Icons.

Cinematech was my favorite show.

I never forget when I use to think they were showing Cheat!, I would change to the G4 channel and instead they were showing that stupid show Cheats. That pissed me off!

Skelter

Banned
Cinematech was my favorite show.

I never forget when I use to think they were showing Cheat!, I would change to the G4 channel and instead they were showing that stupid show Cheats. That pissed me off!

Cheats! introduced me to World of Warcraft. I remember the host talking about the /dance a 100 times in Westfall and I was amazed just watching their character walk from zone to zone. It's been 8 years of WoW since.

Cinematech was awesome. I loved watching the Crysis hour long gameplay. No commentary just gameplay. I could never run it at max settings at a comfortable framerate so I'd just put it on sometimes as background noise. Good stuff. Cinematech at night was crazy too.

Anyone remember Unscrewed with Martin Sargent? It survived the G4 buyout but was cancelled about a year in. Man, I love that show. Martin Sargent was the man.

mreddie

giphy.gif

Tripon

I'm not terribly sure why it took so long. A lot of cable and satellite companies dropped carriage in 2013 and the network was supposed to fully shutter in March or so. What took an extra 7 months?

It was cheaper to run Cops reruns and other stuff than to shut down.

Apparently, they lost the rights to cops reruns, so its time to shut down.

Back in the day when streaming E3 conference would often crash or get over loaded, it was nice to watch G4 live. I would skip school to do that.

I never experienced Tech TV but started watching right when they merged. Kevin Rose, Kevin Pierra, Morgan Webb, Adam Sessler, those were fun times.

newsguy

Well at least Olivia Munn came from there. I remember emailing a producer from Xplay to see where I could send a resume to get a production job there many years ago. Guy didn't even bother replying. Fast forward to today where I work for a successful NBC network and G4 is done.

Tripon

You'd think a channel devoted to technology would be able to survive today.

Incompetence just won out in the end.

mreddie

Well at least Olivia Munn came from there. I remember emailing a producer from Xplay to see where I could send a resume to get a production job there many years ago. Guy didn't even bother replying. Fast forward to today where I work for a successful NBC network and G4 is done.

Dodged a bullet.

I thought they were gone along time ago. The channel was enjoyable at one point in time though. I did enjoy me some Olivia Munn, Layla Kayleigh, and Tina Wood.

Hip Hop

The internet had a part in killing this network. Good run but there are so many alternatives in the internet now.

rip

I miss Portal so much. I wonder if The Drifter ever got closure.

I also used to love Call for Help, Screensavers, and Fresh Gear. Makes me sad to see what the channel had become over the years

CamHostage

G4 of course died a long time ago, but it's still sad to see it finally put out of its misery, and it's good to celebrate what it once was, even if that was a little thing that never got right. There were a lot of good people there in its better days, and not just on camera (that TV money puts more people in jobs than internet DIY programming, not everybody with talent wants to be a star.) It seems like it never could have worked, but it's good that it tried.

...that being said, Matt Mira from Nerdist said that the ratings were exactly the same when they canceled original programming as when it just showed ancient stuff from the vault. TV's funny that way, "trying" isn't always the best answer to a challenge.

I will forever remember ZDTV over TechTV, and especially G4!

GameSpot TV, Screen Savers, Call for help, Eye Drops, Fresh Gear (even Money Machine).

Hopefully a new tech channel all arise one day that will be the spiritual successor to tech TV. Maybe Revision3 is all we'll ever get.

Edit: I forgot about silicon spin.

TWIT TV is the spiritual successor. Leo Laporte started his own podcast network. It's got 2 daily tech news shows on in the morning and one in the afternoon. It's got separate shows devoted to Windows, Google, Android, and Apple. It's got tech discussion panel shows, a show about tech law, a show about...

Well you get the point.

The Argus

Can't say I'll miss it. After TechTV and G4 merged it all went to shit. Attack of the Show just never was amazing as Screen Savers. Its forced nerd pride just made me cringe.

Top Bottom