• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Reserves All of Its Initial Nintendo Switch Allocation

brad-t

truth of the matter, the hardware part of the industry has been in pretty sharp decline. i think we will only be able to measure success against expectations of the hardware maker moving forward. expecting 80 million hardware units in a generation is out of reach aside from ps4. i think there have to be some longterm backup plans to dedicated hardware for all thr big three at this point.

Exactly. That's why people shouldn't be surprised if Nintendo isn't prioritizing hitting the lowest possible price above all else. There's a certain point where the revenue gained from expanded reach won't make up for lost margins.

Matt

Which makes even more puzzling the fact that they don't have the games ready for the period that they should hold the fort.
Their first party software lineup for the first 9 months is fine. Real good even (there are, I believe, more titles to come this year that haven't been announced). The fact that there is so little third party Duff is what makes it look bad, but they can only develop so fast and so many titles at a time.

saskuatch

I haven't owned a nintendo console since gamecube. I really want a switch, I think there are a lot like me out there, no doubt switch will do better than the Wii U at least. I will wait after launch to buy it though, I would like to see some reviews, hardware analysis see if there are any glaring design issues (overheat etc) before I buy. Would rather wait for the second batch out of manufacturing.

Mik317

Most consoles have garbage launch lineup (this included). Also most people like Zelda haha

Its bad but it is a bit overstated; I can't remember the last good launch lineup. I remember hated every single game I bought for my PS4 and spent most of its first year playing the PS3.

The launch lineup's real issue is how spread out it is. If you are the crazy person who expected this to be you only console, then you have a whole month in between Zelda and Mario Kart...and then who knows how much longer for Arms then to Splatoon...that is assuming you care about those in the first place.

I like how when PS4 was taking pre-orders we got post after post about how "the thirst is real". When it's Nintendo it's nothing but "this means nothing". Yea it'll be a better barometer after launch, but even a good news thread is flooded with negative, wet blanket posts. It seems like a lot of people here want Nintendo to fail and jump at the chance to bash them.

This is how I feel. I currently have 2 complaints about the up coming Switch launch but other then that I'm really excited for the Switch.

Not

Banned
As we all know, shortages at launch guarantee a successful console.

CEWKlMNl.jpg

Haaaaaa

I hope the Switch isn't popular so I can get one a month later and play Zelda faster

Would have used my gamestop credit this morning had I known that the NEON one was available..apparently it was around 7am this morning pacific time..so will try again tomorrow..also called the local gamestop and was put on the waiting list for the neon she said if one becomes available she will call me and I can come in and pre order

3DS is a big success for them. Sure theyd like phones to be terrible at games and multi touch not to exist but that's where tech went.

On 3DS they've had great software sales. In the history of Nintendo it's a really great seller and frankly the fact they've remainded competitive in the portable world is a testament to their software.

If you think people play more than three or four games a year then we disagree. Secondly am not talking casuals if you read my post (their not going to be drivers at launch).

299 is expensive but if people want the portable side of things then that's the cost. I'd say that's a strong line up of big Nintendo franchises - which whatever your own opinion clearly have selling ability. Now the Wii U shows that being able to shift software does not mean you'll be a big success - but I cover that in my post as well.

What is your feeling has driven the quick preorders and early interest?
Hardcore nintendo enthusiast, early pre-orders selling out means nothing unless you think PSVR is a massive seller or wii-u? Most casuals play 3-4 games a year called COD, GTA....none of which are on Switch.

Kathian

Banned
I think more likely a game pack in becomes standard at $300, maybe Mario Kart.

I think Zelda and some sort of design is likely. Did well for Windwaker - makes sense not doing it at launch (splitting SKUs you have to decide which gets the most units) but by November the supply chain should be quite smooth. Especially if it proves popular.

Kathian

Banned
Hardcore nintendo enthusiast, early pre-orders selling out means nothing unless you think PSVR is a massive seller or wii-u? Most casuals play 3-4 games a year called COD, GTA....none of which are on Switch.

Re-read my post - I don't think launch numbers matter or mean anything. He'll you could argue launch sales as well considering what happened in the January after Wii U launched (huge returns).

I think Zelda and some sort of design is likely. Did well for Windwaker - makes sense not doing it at launch (splitting SKUs you have to decide which gets the most units) but by November the supply chain should be quite smooth. Especially if it proves popular.

i think that there were also MK8 bundles that did well, though. there just was less opportunity for conflict during the wiiu releases of each. mk8 seems like a better pack-in long term as a multiplayer game.

now that I think about it, if I'd never owned a wiiu, mk8 and botw a month apart would really make me lose my shit. i guess the system might be ok through spring if there are enough lapsed nintendo fans who passed on wiiu.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Their first party software lineup for the first 9 months is fine. Real good even (there are, I believe, more titles to come this year that haven't been announced). The fact that there is so little third party Duff is what makes it look bad, but they can only develop so fast and so many titles at a time.

It's not like the lack of third party games comes as a surprise for Nintendo. I hope. It was pretty obvious that they need to support it themselves more to compensate for the lack of third parties.

FIFA, NBA 2k, Skyrim (being the biggest 3rd party games announced so far) should hit in September or after. By then Switch should have a decent install base to even have a shot at a somehow decent relationship with the western third parties.

For after the launch and until September there are exactly 3 Nintendo games announced and only 1 (MK Deluxe) has a fixed date.

I'm really curious how that will work and if we will get to see at least a FIFA and a NBA 2k game coming out on Switch.

What comes as a surprise though is the distinctive lack of Japanese 3rd party support at launch and immediately after. And the lack of "handheld games". Did they took also a "wait and see" approach with 3ds being the backup plan?

guek

Banned
A Zelda bundle will probably happen for the holidays but I can't see them giving that away for free. Such a bundle would be $350

Which makes even more puzzling the fact that they don't have the games ready for the period that they should hold the fort.
Nintendo showed their big launch game, their big end-of-the-year game, and a few of the titles that will be released during the middle of the year. They obviously have a few more titles lingering (there are too many Nintendo teams that are not accounted for at the moment) but they are probably not going to announce a release date for them until they see how the Switch is doing so far. They seem to be putting a lot of thought on how this year will play out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo showed their big launch game, their big end-of-the-year game, and a few of the titles that will be released during the middle of the year. They obviously have a few more titles lingering (there are too many Nintendo teams that are not accounted for at the moment) but they are probably not going to announce a release date for them until they see how the Switch is doing so far. They seem to be putting a lot of thought on how this year will play out.

If everybody takes a "wait and see" approach, including the customers, I wonder where this will end.

For after the launch and until September there are exactly 3 Nintendo games announced and only 1 (MK Deluxe) has a fixed date.

From a first party perspective, this is already a massive improvement over Wii U.

First party post-launch support for Switch's first six months:

Snipperclips (I almost didn't include this, but what the heck, it looks awesome)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2

First party post-launch support for Wii U's first six months:

LEGO City Undercover

The Wii U was a disaster. Now, third party is a different story, but, as bad as it is, outside of launch (which is abysmal on Switch), it's not any worse than Wii U's third party support after launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From a first party perspective, this is already a massive improvement over Wii U.

First party post-launch support for Switch's first six months:

Snipperclips (I almost didn't include this, but what the heck, it looks awesome)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2

First party post-launch support for Wii U's first six months:

LEGO City Undercover

Third party is a different story, but, as bad as it is, outside of launch (which is abysmal on Switch), it's not any worse than Wii U's third party support after launch.

Let's not forget that Pikmin 3 and W101 were also 'launch window' games for Wii U before the launch.

Hattori

Banned
I still think they haven't divulge everything in terms of software lineup, I won't be surprised by a Mid-Feb Direct followed by an April Direct to keep the momentum going into the summer.

Let's not forget that Pikmin 3 and W101 were also post launch games for Wii U before the launch.

Yeah, at E3 2012. By the time Wii U launched, that was clearly not the case. We're not six months out from Switch's release and I think Nintendo knows far better than you or I that a game like Splatoon 2 has to be out by the end of summer.

It's not like the lack of third party games comes as a surprise for Nintendo. I hope. It was pretty obvious that they need to support it themselves more to compensate for the lack of third parties.

FIFA, NBA 2k, Skyrim (being the biggest 3rd party games announced so far) should hit in September or after. By then Switch should have a decent install base to even have a shot at a somehow decent relationship with the western third parties.

I'm really curious how that will work and if we will get to see at least a FIFA and a NBA 2k game coming out on Switch.

What comes as a surprise though is the distinctive lack of Japanese 3rd party support at launch and immediately after. And the lack of "handheld games". Did they took also a "wait and see" approach with 3ds being the backup plan?

With the exception of companies like Square Enix, most companies only recently got their kits. Nintendo had to be aware that the first couple of months will be primarily on them and the chosen few. I would expect "handheld games" to randomly pop up throughout the year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, at E3 2012. By the time Wii U launched, that was clearly not the case. We're not six months out from Switch's release and I think Nintendo knows far better than you or I that a game like Splatoon 2 has to be out by the end of summer.

Actually Nintendo announced in September 2012 the launch window games, less than 2 months before the launch and Pikmin 3 delay was announced then in a Direct in December 2012.

Matt

Again, it's actually a lot of first party games. That is Nintendo stepping up, at least as much as they feel they can.

Actually Nintendo announced in September 2012 the launch window games, less than 2 months before the launch and Pikmin 3 delay was announced then in a Direct in December 2012.

There's no way that list is accurate, because The Wonderful 101, for example, was never announced as a launch game by Nintendo, ever.

Edit - Wait, nevermind, that's launch window. I said it was clear that Pikmin 3 wasn't going to hit at launch. and your link doesn't disprove that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's no way that list is accurate, because The Wonderful 101, for example, was never announced as a launch game by Nintendo, ever.

Edit - Wait, nevermind, that's launch window. I said it was clear that Pikmin 3 wasn't going to hit at launch. and your link doesn't disprove that.

But the whole discussion was about launch window. That's why you used Splatoon 2 as an example. Unless you think Splatoon 2 comes at launch.

2 big exclusive games (Splatoon and 3D Mario) in 2017 isnt fine tho.

But the whole discussion was about launch window. That's why you used Splatoon 2 as an example. Unless you think Splatoon 2 comes at launch.

No, my initial response to you was referencing the first six months between Wii U and Switch, post-launch. I used this time period, as you were talking about Switch's lineup between launch and September.

Let's go with a really bad scenario here. Let's say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is delayed until June. ARMS gets pushed from "Spring" into August. Splatoon 2 misses "Summer" and doesn't hit until October. So, that's the first seven months of Switch's first party right there, assuming nothing else is announced and released, which is unlikely but whatever, we'll go with it.

It still trounces Wii U's first seven months. Hell, it trounces its first nine months. Switch's problems are many, but its first party support early on really isn't one of them.

Do you think keys games for the upcoming holiday season are being saved for E3/post E3 direct?

They had to know the initial batch would sell out so it would make sense to hold some cards to spur on phase II sales.

guek

Banned
2 big exclusive games (Splatoon and 3D Mario) in 2017 isnt fine tho.
Well depends on if Nintendo hits all their estimated dates. Arms might be surprisingly great, much like the first splatoon. There's also Xenoblade 2 and FE Musou.

A 2017 first party lineup of

Breath of the Wild
Arms
Mario Kart 8UE
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Musou
Xenoblade 2

I'm sure there's going to be more 2nd tier for holiday shown at E3. Maybe Smash among them.

I think that's not too bad at all. I'm happy if I buy 4-5 games A year.

Gino

My game stop only allowed one per customer. They Had an allocation of 65. I got my preorder day one and they where sold out by the evening.

Sean

Banned

Mario Kart seems like a smarter bundle imo. It will have more of a "viral" / word of mouth factor being a multiplayer game. Plus, that way they could up-sell customers on the steering wheel attachment, extra controllers, and paid online subscriptions.

Zesh

Do you think keys games for the upcoming holiday season are being saved for E3/post E3 direct?

They had to know the initial batch would sell out so it would make sense to hold some cards to spur on phase II sales.

I think Pokemon is almost guaranteed to be a holiday release that they'll announce later this year. I also wouldn't be surprised by some form of Smash announcement this year, though it might not be a holiday release if it's a new game.

Kathian

Banned

Pokémon is all I can think except a couple of smaller games. Mario is good for the holiday plus they've got a decent library by the end of year one. I expect next year to be where we see the next batch of big games.

I doubt it'll be even until late year two or even year three when the handheld stuff moves over fully.

Mario Kart seems like a smarter bundle imo. It will have more of a "viral" / word of mouth factor being a multiplayer game. Plus, that way they could up-sell customers on the steering wheel attachment, extra controllers, and paid online subscriptions.

I suppose they've already sold it once as well.

Using boxes as props to make it look like you have tons more than you do is the oldest trick in the book. See: every video retailer ever
That's a really bad quality photo, but those boxes look like legit factory delivered. I unpacked Wii Us myself at launch from them.

I think she really did buy a van's worth. Lol.

Yes.

Mario (a holiday title) was shown because it's Mario and I can't remember the last time Nintendo didn't reveal a new Mario game before the launch of a new platform. They're saving the rest of their "Fall" announcements for later.

Yes.

Mario (a holiday title) was shown because it's Mario and I can't remember the last time Nintendo didn't reveal a new Mario game before the launch of a new platform. They're saving the rest of their "Fall" announcements for later.

Knowing Nintendos track record I don't think we should be surprised if they have little else, at least any bigger name title ready for 2017.

Sulik2

Nintendo needs to sell units badly. They should have risked some more of their war chest and properly produced the Switch so that consumers don't have to wait months to get it. Its going to hurt the long term sales especially if they can't get enough on shelves before the PS4 and Xbone price drop and are cheaper.

Exactly. That's why people shouldn't be surprised if Nintendo isn't prioritizing hitting the lowest possible price above all else. There's a certain point where the revenue gained from expanded reach won't make up for lost margins.

Because of the red ring issue and the cell/bluray consoles last gen was never properly price reduced. And all three consoles managed to hit 80+ million units. When the PS4 gets down to an actual mass market price you are way, way underestimating if you think its only going to sell 80 million. The console market is still huge, I would not be surprised at all if the PS4 ends up outselling the PS2. Just because microsoft and nintendo screwed up royally this gen doesn't mean the dedicated home console market shrunk, it just means the PS4 is going to take all those sales.

Ninferno

Well, that's not saying much; every legitimate gaming console basically sells out at launch noways. But of course, the official GAF response to this particular news will be "Artificial Shortage Confirmed!"

Top Bottom