• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 Premiere Trailer: "Ashes to Ashes"

Feorax

Despite the fact that I've never stuck with a Gears game after the initial playthrough, im looking forward to this. I really hope they have a strong online presence out of the gate this time though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Letters said:
11bhkwn.jpg
Thanks. :D

derFeef

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I know the Gears series gets a lot of shit for the craptacular story and ridiculous one-liners, but Gears games are so goddamn fun, looking forward to this.
Not to mention that Gears re-breathed new life into 3rd person shooters and perfected the cover system. Still not matched.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
derFeef said:
Not to mention that Gears re-breathed new life into 3rd person shooters and perfected the cover system. Still not matched.

I don't think the core shooting mechanic has been matched. Better than any 3rd person shooter. Feels so solid.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Cliff confirmed in the MeriStation TV interview that Gears of War 3 will include some old Gears of War 1 favorites that we didn't see in Gears of War 2 (Maps)

There will be a new feature that allows players to stay together as a party.

In the MeriStation TV interview, Cliff confirms you can kick someone as your vault over cover.

Seriously though, fuck matchmaking, the way finding matches worked in gears 1 was great, especially with the party dashboard function.

And apparently someone talked to Rod and he confirmed that there will be "3 way battles" and "multiple female soldiers".

I don't want to hype this but I can't help it.

The above three posts are 100% truth.

I really cant wait for this game. Once again, Gears series will show, everyone else will copy.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Stat Flow said:
Seriously though, fuck matchmaking, the way finding matches worked in gears 1 was great, especially with the party dashboard function.

And apparently someone talked to Rod and he confirmed that there will be "3 way battles" and "multiple female soldiers".

I don't want to hype this but I can't help it.

That same interview confirmed the Pendulum Lancer and sawed-off Double-Barrel Shotgun and Cliff says they're going to "embrace the shotgun" for Gears 3 and allow more arcadey play.

I'm loving everything I'm hearing about Gears 3 right now. April 2011 yet? :(

derFeef said:

I actually like Uncharted and Gears about the same as far as the cover system goes. I feel they both offer really well implemented but different experiences. Uncharted is a little more robust and I feel like I have more control but I love the feeling of slamming this big ass dude that looks like a damn gorilla into the side of a car or broken wall and just popping heads all over.

derFeef

RSTEIN said:
I don't think the core shooting mechanic has been matched. Better than any 3rd person shooter. Feels so solid.
This too. Weight, aiming, reloading, switching, firing. Everything feels solid and how you expect it.

Sanic

Domino Theory said:

You still have AN ENTIRE YEAR!

does that make the waiting any easier for you?

Veelk

Banned
derFeef said:

I dunno. It was definitely king for a while, but I think Uncharted 2 beat it out. It doesn't have the powerful feel that Gears does(The way you slam into cover, the guns, etc), but it's so much more versatile. Besides moving much faster and arguably having a better melee system, that you can climb structures to give yourself a vertical advantage really advances the game. Maybe Uncharted and Gears are simply different and shouldn't be compared, but I feel that Uncharted 2 actually evolved Third person shooter MP with climbable structures and Gears similarly has to innovate a new mechanic or else it will be seen as dated.

h3ro

There aren't many moments more satisfying this gen than clearing a hard ass room in Gears on Insane and hearing that Gears Gong go off. :D

Talon

BruceLeeRoy said:
I actually like Uncharted and Gears about the same as far as the cover system goes. I feel they both offer really well implemented but different experiences. Uncharted is a little more robust and I feel like I have more control but I love the feeling of slamming this big ass dude that looks like a damn gorilla into the side of a car or broken wall and just popping heads all over.
The only difference for me is that Gears is a slower game in terms of movement, so I don't find myself accidentally popping out of cover as often. Even still, third-person shooters still suffer from a certain degree of jankiness because of the whole sticking to cover thing.

I play Gears exclusively for the co-op campaign, so I'm looking forward to this one. Gears 2 was a big improvement over the first, especially in regards to showing the scale of conflict (the one thing Halo could learn from Gears).

I still can't help but dread my groaning at the patented Epic dialogue.
Generic said:
Maybe Uncharted and Gears are simply different and shouldn't be compared, but I feel that Uncharted 2 actually evolved Third person shooter MP with climbable structures and Gears similarly has to innovate a new mechanic or else it will be seen as dated.
You should listen to your gut. Uncharted is a TPS with platforming. Gears is a TPS with chainsaws.

Domino Theory said:
That same interview confirmed the Pendulum Lancer and sawed-off Double-Barrel Shotgun and Cliff says they're going to "embrace the shotgun" for Gears 3 and allow more arcadey play.

Embrace the shotgun and "arcadey"- what does that mean exactly?

That gears multiplayer is gonna forego the tactical nature that was somewhat present in previous versions for a shotgun frag fest?

if so- do not want.

JimtotheHum said:
Embrace the shotgun and "arcadey"- what does that mean exactly?

That gears multiplayer is gonna forego the tactical nature that was somewhat present in previous versions for a shotgun frag fest?

if so- do not want.

Gears multiplayer already felt like a shotgun fest because of the terrible netcode.

Scarecrow

I hope for some epic tragedy stuff at the end. Like, the whole squad being all thats left of humanity being finally overwhelmed somewhat like in the trailer. That's what I wanted out of ODST.

derFeef

Scarecrow said:
I hope for some epic tragedy stuff at the end. Like, the whole squad being all thats left of humanity being finally overwhelmed somewhat like in the trailer. That's what I wanted out of ODST.

Would be difficult, Halo 3 and ODST were somewhat collateral.

BlueScrote said:
Gears multiplayer already felt like a shotgun fest because of the terrible netcode.

agreed. And that's why I was dissapointed in previous gears multiplayer, you could tell the type of multiplayer game they were going for, but could never quite hit it because of terrible netcode and a multitude of glitches.

This quote could almost be taken as they have waived the white flag and given up on that style of gameplay altogether. If that's the case gears pretty much becomes just like every other multiplayer game there. Everyone running around two-piecing and endless shotgun battles. Might as well remove the cover system from the multiplayer.

I may be looking into this quote too much, but its a definite red flag.

J2d

Generic said:
Maybe Uncharted and Gears are simply different and shouldn't be compared, but I feel that Uncharted 2 actually evolved Third person shooter MP with climbable structures and Gears similarly has to innovate a new mechanic or else it will be seen as dated.
No god please no, no new mechanics. I just want a solid network this time and the intense 1on1 battles that Gears 1 offered, all without the grenade bullshit etc.

I'm not sure on these two things but I was under the impression that Uncharted 2 online wasn't so much of a hit, and you can still shoot trough walls pretty much right?

I haven't read through the thread yet but does anyone else enjoy the games just for the SP / co-op? That's all my friends and I really do now. We used to play some Gears 1 multiplayer but since we couldn't have guests in Gears 2 we just sort of gave up on MP after that. I've had G2 almost since launch and have not touched an online mode yet. :lol

Really looking forward to the campaign though. Gears doesn't have the best story but it's a fun story to go through that's interesting enough for me not to get bored. And 4 player co-op is the icing on the cake. Sadly probably only have 3 people on hand regularly though.

Kibbles

Llyranor said:
Nice, 4p co-op campaign. This better mean online splitscreen (2p + 2p) since the series has accommodated that in multiplayer all this time.
2 player splitscreen is taxing enough. Halo 3 can't even do 4 player split screen co-op. I'd assume it's 2 player splitscreen, 4 player over system link/xbox live.

J2d said:
No god please no, no new mechanics. I just want a solid network this time and the intense 1on1 battles that Gears 1 offered, all without the grenade bullshit etc.

I'm not sure on these two things but I was under the impression that Uncharted 2 online wasn't so much of a hit, and you can still shoot trough walls pretty much right?

Yeah I completely agree. I just want Gears 3 with Gears 1 netcode and Ill be in heaven. Though I love Uncharted mechanics for the SP campaign I never really got into the feel of the multiplayer.

derFeef

VGChampion said:
I haven't read through the thread yet but does anyone else enjoy the games just for the SP / co-op? That's all my friends and I really do now. We used to play some Gears 1 multiplayer but since we couldn't have guests in Gears 2 we just sort of gave up on MP after that. I've had G2 almost since launch and have not touched an online mode yet. :lol

Really looking forward to the campaign though. Gears doesn't have the best story but it's a fun story to go through that's interesting enough for me not to get bored. And 4 player co-op is the icing on the cake. Sadly probably only have 3 people on hand regularly though.
I played campaigns only. Mastered Gears 1 on Hardcore but gave up on it at G2 (that graveyard was just.. ugh), switched back to normal and enjoyed the way through the remaining game. Got no one to co-op with.

Karram

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I completely agree. I just want Gears 3 with Gears 1 netcode and Ill be in heaven. Though I love Uncharted mechanics for the SP campaign I never really got into the feel of the multiplayer.
What ?? Gears 1 netcode is terrible. It's even worse than Gears 2 netcode.

Kibbles

BloodySinner said:
So basically Cliff Bleszinski admitted that Gears of War 2 multiplayer was broken and unplayable. Excellent. Yet the media gave the game a free pass in every review possible. How awesome is that?

By the way, where the hell is Clay Carmine in the trailer? After all, Ben did reference him in the last game. Not to mention, he did say there was 3 of them in total.
The MP was good for a while, how were reviewers supposed to know it would turn into shit?

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:

I love the sound of them saying that they're going to embrace the shotgun. If they bring back the ability to gut charge with the shotgun again, I'll be very happy. Not that I do that all the time, but once it was patched/removed in Gears 2, it never felt like the shotgun would fire half of the time after you got out of moving at all.

BruceLeeRoy said:

Ah, I'm sure you meant to say brand new fixed netcode.

Gears 1 was a piece of shit online as well.

Rocket786

Scarecrow said:

GoW3 "In the End, There Will Only Be Chaos!"

Oh wait...

RSTEIN said:

What's amazing is really how simple it all is too. The entire cover system controlled with a single button and an analog stick and the active reload mechanic based off of simple timing has been around forever in all sorts of different games from golf to platformers.

mr stroke

Trailers looks great(though I wish it was less grey)

I hope this means this is the last big 360 game and next Xbox in Holiday 2011

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Ah, I'm sure you meant to say brand new fixed netcode.

Gears 1 was a piece of shit online as well.

Damn I need to clarify. By Gears 1 netcode I meant how quick it was able to get you into a game and how smooth the party functions were.

mr stroke said:
Trailers looks great(though I wish it was less grey)

I hope this means this is the last big 360 game and next Xbox in Holiday 2011

With Natal releasing this holiday I seriously doubt it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Nirolak said:
Congratulations Cliffy, Gears is now considered to be a Top 3 World News story by Google. :lol

20ijrt0.png

This is why Joe Graf is still in charge of netcode. This is why there's no incentive to fix anything. As it is, even with the shit netcode, it's the biggest new franchise this gen and will go on to sell millions. To do a major overhaul probably isn't worth it for them.

twinturbo2 said:
Speaking of, there's an actual discussion over whether the ladies should be chainsawed or not.

http://kotaku.com/5516263/should-she-be-chainsawable

Don't read the comments if you value your sanity. I did, and I need therapy.

Interesting, although I would put it as should she be in the multiplayer at all. If she's in, she's gotta be chainsawable (ugh).

Also interesting about embracing the arcadey. If it's what the majority of the fans want, I guess why fight it? Although it'll be the death of a bit of a dream for Cliff Bleszinski.

CliffyB said:
<snip>Perhaps it was then that I thought about how most shooters play. They're not like real firefights. Circle strafing, jumping around -- these elements have felt alien to me for the last few years. For example, take the use of cover. Before we started Gears of War, we saw other games with cover in them. Our question was, "How are we going to make hiding behind a wall interesting?" Answer: "Make it real."<snip>

Reckoner

The thing with Gears 1 is that people were always playing player matches with friends from the same country. That's why people think that it had less lag than Gears 2.

It only needs server browser or dedicated servers with better netcode, but coming from Epic, the guys who after TU and TU where broking more and more Gears, I can't expect anything good.

VGChampion said:

The single player is what gets my $$$ but I have to admit I have spent God knows how many hours in Horde mode. I actually play the other multiplayer occassionally with just the bots and its pretty fun for me because I can actually win. Gears 1 or 2 in multiplayer I just flatout stunk.

Kibbles said:
The MP was good for a while, how were reviewers supposed to know it would turn into shit?
It only took a few matches to tell that host advantage was as strong as ever, tagging frags is OP and smokes were too powerful (before the many patch adjustments)

pr0cs

Is gears2 still broken for network code? Last I heard after all the patches and stuff it works reasonably well and with a region browser or similar (as Epic had mentioned) it would work even better.

Swifty

One hope I have for the inclusion of Lambent as enemy is I hope they're playable in multiplayer and if gibbed, set off a nasty explosion. That'll teach people to think twice before doing a 2-piece or chainsawing upclose. :lol

Top Bottom