• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 The Brodeo) - 06/06/08, Dawn of War II

GFW-2.jpg

Size: 14.2MB
Length: 30:35

Cast: Shawn Elliot, Sean Malloy, Robert Ashley, Ryan Scott

An extra special bonus episode! Listen to Shawn' impressions of Relic's new real-time sequel, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/CGW/060608.mp3

This is worth downloading for Shawn trying to explain Warhammer to Max Chill.

EDIT: Not because it was wrong, just because it was clearly so awkward.

It's a shame Jeff wasn't available, it seemed the rest of the crew found it hard to be as enthused as Shawn. Hopefully Dawn of War II will be brought up in a future show.

Still, a very enjoyable listen. Thanks to all involved.

hiryu

As I've posted in the other multiple threads. This game looks and sounds amazing and Shawn did a great job with the Interview and Podcast. I think I'm looking forward to this more than Starcraft 2. The addition of rare loot is a great idea and I'm glad to see the mixing of rpg material into the rts genre. The focus on small squads and characters and not huge amounts of troops and building management is awesome and what the genre needs to move forward.

Sounds incredible. I'm all for no basebuilding. All for it. The teaser they put up looked *too* gorgeous, the unit animation was superb (and mega gory).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I am that guy yelling out all of the good questions!:lol I'm sure these are things that won't or can't be revealed yet though.

One thing a lot of us want to know is where DoW2's campaign falls in the DoW storyline. Is it a direct sequel to the vanilla DoW? Is the true Man-God Gabriel Angelos back?

Are they saying anything about projected system requirements yet? It looks so far beyond CoH, I don't see how running one translates to the other.

Lack of multiplayer infos is killing me.

Mindlog

And another thing about persistence.

Did no one play Relic's Space Banana game -_-

Giving ship captains the customized voices would be pretty nice. Most of my questions would be about the multiplayer.

Akia

downloading now.

I have a feeling 1UP might have to make an RTS podcast because new COH expansion/Dawn of War 2/Starcraft 2/Red Alert 3 are going consume people for years to come. There's so much to talk about with these games as time goes on and strategies evolve. A major RTS revival is set to hit PC gaming 2008/2009 and it would be a forwarding thinking move to prepare something to cater the incoming niche.

Milky + Jeff + Shawn + Anthony + Ryan O = instant subscribe

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mr.City said:
Is it me or does this podcast seem to end kind of abruptly?

Well you can tell that they end in the middle of the words "We Out", so if thats an issue then I can direct you to a page where you can get a refund for either just this episode, or all of 2008's episodes so far - if you so prefer.

Akia

McBacon said:
I can direct you to a page where you can get a refund for either just this episode, or all of 2008's episodes so far - if you so prefer.

holy crap really?

Mr.City

McBacon said:
Well you can tell that they end in the middle of the words "We Out", so if thats an issue then I can direct you to a page where you can get a refund for either just this episode, or all of 2008's episodes so far - if you so prefer.

Actually, the iTunes one is fucked up. It ends with Shawn saying "Imagine we're fighting with tanks" and that's it.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mr.City said:
Actually, the iTunes one is fucked up. It ends with Shawn saying "Imagine we're fighting with tanks" and that's it.

Hah, whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick. Yeah- grab the direct link up top, I guess. Zune feed is fine, BTW.

Johnkers

Hey GFW, any chance you could get some talk about Political Machine in? Mentioned briefly in a previous podcast but I'd love to hear your thoughts when it comes out

Teknopathetic said:
Sounds incredible. I'm all for no basebuilding. All for it. The teaser they put up looked *too* gorgeous, the unit animation was superb (and mega gory).
Everything said applies to me. Since Shawn's preview all I've been doing is watching that trailer over and over and playing CoH. I also like the idea of gaining shit for your troops that'll carry over between matches...multiplayer could be so great, as long as its balanced for newer players w/o any good stuff yet.

Broseybrose

i cant help but have an interest in the new DOW considering my feelings for COH. its simply the best game ever made. i really mean that.

Opus Angelorum said:
Until he is a regular it will remain unchanged.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though both Robert and Anthony were equally "semi-regular" nowadays? That's why I though it would be appropiate to include em' both.

...or we could just have him within paranthesis on the side, like this ( :D )

This was a very very nice bonus. Too bad there was no talk about the SP structure. Thought I read something about 'freely' exploring different planets and crap? Maybe I remember wrong.

I've never even heard of any of those Russian games before. Cyrostasis actually looks really interesting. Relying on heat sources to survive the cold brings back Lost Planet, only less arcadey. Hopefully a story-centric game like that is well translated (the subtitle sure isn't instilling much hope). One of the biggest problems with The Witcher for me was how poorly localized it's English version was.

It's not mentioned much in Shawn's article, but the new King's Bounty game has been getting rave reviews in the Russian press and is one of the games that any serious PC strategy fan should be looking at later this year when it is released.

Broseybrose

Crescendo170 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though both Robert and Anthony were equally "semi-regular" nowadays? That's why I though it would be appropiate to include em' both.

...or we could just have him within paranthesis on the side, like this ( :D )
yeah since when is anthony more regular than judgito? they should both be on.

SupahBlah

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
I've never even heard of any of those Russian games before. Cyrostasis actually looks really interesting. Relying on heat sources to survive the cold brings back Lost Planet, only less arcadey. Hopefully a story-centric game like that is well translated (the subtitle sure isn't instilling much hope). One of the biggest problems with The Witcher for me was how poorly localized it's English version was.

I like the head turning before he moves the gun, subtle but it looks good.

I also like the ammo counter on the ppsh and the fact there's bolt action rifles.

Mindlog

CoH expansion seems likely, but the whole 'shakey backing' thing really sounds like something Homeworld related.

eznark

Banned
FartOfWar said:
I figure some of you might enjoy this http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168157
coverage of Russian pub/dev's latest press party.

I went for the bigger picture, rather than individual previews.

This is this first real "only online" piece I've seen you write since GFW shuttered. I think the videos really helped deliver the story you were trying to tell.

Do you like the direction of DoW2? I couldn't really get a feel from the podcast.

Flavius

Akia said:
downloading now.

I have a feeling 1UP might have to make an RTS podcast because new COH expansion/Dawn of War 2/Starcraft 2/Red Alert 3 are going consume people for years to come. There's so much to talk about with these games as time goes on and strategies evolve. A major RTS revival is set to hit PC gaming 2008/2009 and it would be a forwarding thinking move to prepare something to cater the incoming niche.

Milky + Jeff + Shawn + Anthony + Ryan O = instant subscribe

I would guess that was because they recorded the special before last week's regularly scheduled GFW episode and if you listened to that one, there were peeps waiting to get into the recording room towards the end of the podcast (i.e., likely, a tight schedule was to blame).

FartOfWar

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
It's not mentioned much in Shawn's article, but the new King's Bounty game has been getting rave reviews in the Russian press and is one of the games that any serious PC strategy fan should be looking at later this year when it is released.

I only mentioned it as I understand that Anthony is writing a hands-on preview. : )

FartOfWar said:
I only mentioned it as I understand that Anthony is writing a hands-on preview. : )

Very nice! The original was the progenitor to the Heroes of Might and Magic games and I'm really glad 1C put one of their best studios ( Kakuro, the Space Rangers folk) on the game, most of the translated reviews and English impressions of the game have been very positive.

It's actually interesting to go back and look at where some of the bigger Russian developers started with and where they are now. Take Nival Interactive-started with icky stuff like Rage of Mages and then Evil Islands, which I and some friends of mine thought (at the time) was one of the most hideously localized games we've ever seen. Then they had a commerical hit with Blitzkrieg (that WW2 RTS series-did you know there's still a HUGE following for the game and it has like three or four expansions? Crazy.), and then Silent Storm hit and they had completed their rise to real respectability with the hardcore PC strategy folk.

It used to be just a few years ago that people sorta cringed and sighed at the thought of another "eastern european strategy game", but now they've got quite a following even here in the US.

I really enjoyed the reference to death metal in the article-I think it's an apt comparison, as we see less and less PC exclusive (or even designed for PC) first person shooters, some of the Eastern European/Russian games-developed for a PC audience might start getting some attention for being unique against their more mass market multiplatform peers.

Take Bohemia Interactive's Armed Assault (that's Czech Republic, not Russia to be fair)-that game went down a route that no multiplatform game would dare to tread, and it's got a decent footing with people wanting for something more than just the realistic BF2 mod scene.

One last thing-if it wasn't for the European developers, non-RTS strategy gaming on the PC would have gone the way of the flight simulator years ago. We'd all be playing one or two titles, maybe a hardcore wargame or two, but the wide variety of hardcore strategy games we enjoy today would simply not exist without those developers and their audiences that are still really interested in those kind of games.

FartOfWar said:
Fuck yeah I do. I was trying to remain professional, but I'm not sure that I anticipate any other game more.

That reminds me of something I wanted to point out in this podcast-my oh my do most single player RTS campaigns suck ass to play. Unless you are going to go for a very high production value sort of storytelling (C&C, Blizzard RTS games), I'd rather play skirmish mode against a capable AI opponent to learn the game. I actually think that Sins of A Solar Empire, which shipped without a camapaign, was a stronger game for the omission of a bland mission-based single player game than it would have been had they diverted the kind of large resources needed to code a 15-mission campaign together.

Even better-go the Age of Empires 3 route and offer persistence through AI skirmishes. I still consider the "Home City" idea of that game to be one of the best genre innovations in recent memory, and am actually shocked that there hasn't been a scramble to copy and improve on its ideas in the years since its release.

Safe Bet said:
Sounds great but I had to stop reading.

I'd like to go into Fallout 3 without any preconcived notions or expectations.

what? is fallout 3 even mentioned in the article?

seriously, great work on that show preview Shawn. I love how you've managed to take GFW online with articles like this on 1up. Keep writing them, and I'll keep reading them. I'm super excited for most of the games shown, so keep covering them!

Dawn of War 2 looks dope, too.

eznark

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
That reminds me of something I wanted to point out in this podcast-my oh my do most single player RTS campaigns suck ass to play. Unless you are going to go for a very high production value sort of storytelling (C&C, Blizzard RTS games), I'd rather play skirmish mode against a capable AI opponent to learn the game. I actually think that Sins of A Solar Empire, which shipped without a camapaign, was a stronger game for the omission of a bland mission-based single player game than it would have been had they diverted the kind of large resources needed to code a 15-mission campaign together.

Even better-go the Age of Empires 3 route and offer persistence through AI skirmishes. I still consider the "Home City" idea of that game to be one of the best genre innovations in recent memory, and am actually shocked that there hasn't been a scramble to copy and improve on its ideas in the years since its release.

That's what pisses me off about a lot of the RTS games. I play the shit out of the campaign hoping to get some skill to play multiplayer, yet inevitably none of the tactics work. It's an almost unsolvable problem, however, as the AI will never be as imaginative as real players so the campaign tactics will be cut to pieces day 1 in multiplayer and the strategies will evolve.

I stopped playing the CoH campaing and only play skirmished, but I still have only played one multiplayer match and got my ass handed to me because I was completely outclassed.

I emailed this to my iphone and will read it my next trip to the bathroom...god damn work filters.

Pretty stoked you're liking it though in light of Company of Heroes.

zam

Hey, a little OT and I know Shawn is banned but does anyone remember the name of the Roosevelt book he recommended a while back?

eznark

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Check this? http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167330&p=1

Fuck yeah I do. I was trying to remain professional, but I'm not sure that I anticipate any other game more.

uh yeah, I read the Fallout piece, that was excellent (personally I'm hoping for Dogmeat armor dlc). I meant more in the way that you were able to really supplement your writing with videos to better inform the reader, something obviously not possible in the magazine form.

Amazon seems to be down once again, but anyway - 'Theodore Rex' follows 'The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt'. 'Rex' is confined to his presidency while 'Rise' covers his rough and tumble days. They compliment each other pretty damn well.

More of this sort of text should be used as "color" in games:

"These boys began their careers at eight or nine, picking splinters of slate out of the coal breakers until their hands were scarred for life. These men worked coal ten hours a day, six days a week. They ate coal dust in their bread and drank it in their milk; they breathed it and coughed it. At forty or forty-five, most were so ravaged by black-lung disease that they had to return to the breakers to pick slate with their grandchildren, contracting fresh black scars until they died."

Top Bottom