• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because of silly stuff like how James Rolfe got death threats for not wanting to see the movie.

Or how was insinuated as being sexist for not wanting to see the movie. Some of those sites just straight up attacked him because he didn't want to see a movie.

I mean, I rarely actually read reviews or look at them to be honest. Only caught some of these to see why certain people were slinging hate or getting hate slung. I'm finding a lot of time I don't stack up when compared to general sentiments on movies.

For example, really REALLY disliked this movie but I honestly believe all 3 Purge movies were fun and worth a watch. So you know...take my opinion with a pound of salt.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What's that have to do with their point?
I dunno... Death threats are usually taken a bit more seriously than not at all.

The Rolfe situation doesn't negate the existence of the 2 year long bullshit against or justify anything the post you were replying to was complaining about.

Wasn't trying to justify anything. This isn't a tit for tat situation. All of this shit has happened. Not just some of it. Nobody is condescendingly dismissing a shit storm that they are now required to wade into simply by reviewing the movie.

There is a climate that promotes crazies on both sides which makes ny discussion on the movie problematic since the extremes on both sides act completely out of control. Any reviewer going positive or negative likely has to consider the extreme reactions they're going to get from their review.

So either critics are deluged by creeps shouting (at best) "Sony shills!" or else they're (at best) disgusting nerd manchildren who are innately unattractive to all women.

Can't imagine why reviewers would address such level rhetoric in the manner they have. Especially if they haven't been closely following the discussion on the film.

Most likely, they opt to address the group they know is most likely to attack over their review verdict rather than reflecting on the history of the discussion leading up to the point where they watched the movie since that really has no bearing on the movie's actual quality.

I guess it comes down to are they reviewing the movie, or the discourse surrounding it? Is that discourse supposed to inform the reviewer's final impression of the movie? Is doing that actually fair to the content of the movie? To the readers?

I don't think that kind of approach would be expected for any other movie or considered reasonable. A review shouldn't have to have an apology for liking or not liking it baked into the opening paragraph.

Averon

Anyone else feel this movie was badly edited? The first half of the movie felt like it was just a bunch of scenes stitched together with no regard for natural transition. It felt really jarring.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like that GB Toy thread was all for nothing

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/mattel-strong-ghostbusters-toy-sales-1201820557/

Mattel is reporting strong early sales for its line of toys based on the female-led “Ghostbusters” — from both boys and girls.

In keeping with the tagline “Everybody wants to be a Ghostbuster,” Mattel’s retail strategy was to sell the female-led Ghostbusters action figures in the boys’ toy aisle. The sales figures at the top retailers in the country have exceeded expectations, the toymaker reported Friday.

KalBalboa

Banned
Anyone else feel this movie was badly edited? The first half of the movie felt like it was just a bunch of scenes stitched together with no regard for natural transition. I felt really jarring.

The editing was very poor, absolutely. Moment-to-moment dialog suffered along with major transitions.

KingV

One of the worst for me was when they obtained the new Ecto 1.

There's a lot of weird editing. The removal of the dance scene creates a weird transition, but I actually understand why they removed that.

The end of the movie seems like it is straight up missing pieces though. Like the whole time shift of time square just seems gratuitous and pointless. It was probably an expensive special effect, but then they do nothing with it, or even make a big deal about it. It just sort of happens.

I feel like there was supposed to be more to that as a plot beat that got cut.

TI82

Banned
What the fuck? So by commenting solely on the quality of the comedy I must be hating on them for being women? Maybe you should take a fucking peek at my post history. What on earth is wrong with you?

Yep, this review I just watched talked about exactly this. A lot of reviewers are scared of the witchhunt for supposed misogyny leading to middle reviews or even inflated reviews. Sad really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

-shadow-

Well seeing some mixed reactions here so... My take about the film as I just saw it:

So I saw the movie myself a few hours ago and I actually enjoyed the film quite a bit. The opening of the film honestly starts as a mostly straight forward (and rather cheap, but it's still Ghostbusters) horror flick ending with the original theme and transitioning into the plot. I don't really care about the fact that there's some arguments between two of the characters and some of the humor is absolutely terrible. The very first real joke in the film, which isn't a character being a bit awkward, is a fart joke, the frontal kind one which South Park made fun of many, many, many, many years ago already. And really it really sets the bar ridiculously low. The movie does, thankfully, recover from this, but there's just some really weird and really, really, really terrible moments like this throughout the film especially in the earlier parts of the film (like the middle fingers bit). Honestly the worst parts of the film are in the trailers. Oh and character of Kevin is fucking terrible. Just putting that out there. I don't see how people find such a dumb character hilarious.

I liked Holtz for the most part but feel a lot of her reactions could've been cut out to make the film move along at a better pace along with a lot of the reactions of Patty. I was honestly fine with her for most of the film. The trailers really did a piss poor job at her character, especially with the Power of Patty part. Abby and Erin were mostly straight forward but had a couple of terrible moments also. Especially the soup gag is running already thin at the beginning of the film, but at the end it's just over and done. As for Erin, I liked her by far the most, but her going crazy over seeing the first ghost and when she realizes the city is about to go to hell felt really out of character. The original cast had the type of actors that could perfectly portray these emotions, especially Rick Moranis and Bill Murray, but the main cast here simply don't. I don't blame them, the script just should've been more aimed at what they can do rather than can't. Speaking of which, the cameo's were absolutely worthless, didn't add anything to the film and to me felt like a distraction more than anything. But I have to admit I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh really hard at how Murray exits the film. I wouldn't be surprised if he had requested it like that, because DAMN!

The visuals were mostly fine, I'm not really a fan of the overly colourful style of the ghosts, the equipment and all that good stuff. Would've preferred a bit slower editing also, it was a bit much and to fast for my tastes. This is mostly on Fieg though, it's not terrible, but everything goes by a bit quick and everything just happens. There doesn't seem to be a lot of weight to most scenes. It doesn't break the film, just something I personally think a better editor could've fixed for the most part. Wasn't a fan of how they tested the equipment either. Really felt like the stuff more aimed at little kids with it being mostly slapstick humor. But they did expand the possibilities of the equipment which I really liked. The smaller guns, the shotgun, the fist and the shredder were great additions that expanded what they could do a lot. And while the rolling of Erin is a bit ridiculous when they're fighting a bunch of ghosts, the rest is just fine (and the lack of Abby's crotch move from the trailers helps also). And the ending was a bit meh also because at the end it doesn't really seem like anything really mattered because everything is restored for some unexplained reason. Yes Total Protonic Reversal is uttered, but I don't feel like that should include restoring buildings to the original undamaged state it was in before everything happened.

It's no Ghostbusters and honestly it's no Ghostbusters II either. But I still had a blast with it. Some great character moments and some fun action thrown in the mix. I honestly feel if someone goes into the film and edits about ten minutes of terrible jokes and character reactions out you have a really good film on your hands rather than just a fine film. I'm honestly looking forward to the possible sequel.

Oh and one last thing. Thank heavens that the dancing sequence was removed from the film and ended up as a credits piece, because man would've that made the climax terrible.

KingV

I honestly feel if someone goes into the film and edits about ten minutes of terrible jokes and character reactions out you have a really good film on your hands rather than just a fine film.

I absolutely agree with this.

Trokil

Banned
Oh goody more people buying into this fear and conspiracy bullshit.

We've been over this video before.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone who says they did is a liar.

Well, there is a easy way to find this out in a few days or weeks.

In Europe much of this controversy was not such a huge thing.

Let's check out the French, German or Scandinavian movie reviews. If they are in the same range as rt (70-75%), there is nothing to it. If the movie gets slammed, maybe we also have an answer.

Timu

Well...this movie wasn't as bad as the trailers, in fact some scenes worked better in the movie than the trailers suggested...but it's still not that good of a movie, in fact, it both surprised and disappointed me at the same time.

Surprised me because it was better than the trailers and had some funny and good moments, plus that awesome soundtrack. Disappointed me because it wasn't as good as the reviews made it out to be, could had been better and should had be funnier. There are a lot of bad jokes in this movie, some disgusting even. I did like the girls except Abby, Kevin was funny and it had some stand out moments(1 involving Holtzman). But with more work it could had been amazing, it's just barely average instead.

I prefer the 1st 2 over this TBH. I mixed on this movie, it had some fun moments but to me nothing tops the airport scene in Captain America Civil War for most fun I had watching a 2016 movie all year. I'll say it's not the worst movie I seen this year(Fifty Shades of Black being one of them), but I would put movies like Captain America Civil War, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Barbershop The Next Cut and such over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ0_Ke1-mYA

This review is pushing the misandrist angle.

And that reviewer is wrong.

Are we at the point where people just post 15 minute videos without summaries to push some sort of hokum.

Also she has since released a video saying Leslie had just as much fault as Milo for what happened to her and that the attacks on her were just trolling not sexism or racism and that it's her fault for responding and that she's not a victim of racism and condescendingly and dismissively noted that Leslie actually thought the attacks on her were actually racist, as if she's an idiot for thinking so... sooooo yeah, I don't trust her view on what is or isn't an ist or ism...

Well, there is a easy way to find this out in a few days or weeks.

In Europe much of this controversy was not such a huge thing.

Let's check out the French, German or Scandinavian movie reviews. If they are in the same range as rt (70-75%), there is nothing to it. If the movie gets slammed, maybe we also have an answer.

UK started us off and if anything the US brought down the score.

You mean like the Guardian review talking endlessly about the controversy instead of the movie. Let's wait and see, should be no problem and we will have an answer.

It also got a decent B+ Cinescore which fits the decent middle of the road and polarizing love/hate reviews.

But sure keep hoping for that conspiracy

Vice

Yep, this review I just watched talked about exactly this. A lot of reviewers are scared of the witchhunt for supposed misogyny leading to middle reviews or even inflated reviews. Sad really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

The movie is an OK comedy which means it's better than most comedy movies that come out. It has a metascore of 60 and an RT of 75. It's about as good as Central Intelligienceor Neighbors 2, so the reviews it gets seem right to me. Ghostbusters has the advantage of having more likable/popular starts than N2 though.

Camjo-Z

Whoops, didn't realize there was an OT. I'll repost what I wrote in the review thread:

Just saw it. I'm disappointed that so many people made such a stink about the women aspect, because none of this movie's problems have to do with that. Most of the film is just really boring. There's this constant rapid-fire "awkward humor" running throughout the whole thing that just isn't funny 90% of the time, and there are long stretches where the movie just dumps loads of exposition on you without even attempting to entertain. The best part of the movie is when it stops trying to be a comedy and just does action-y stuff in the final act.

Honestly, I think comparisons to Pixels are entirely apt as that movie feels really similar to this one. Lots of jokes that don't land with maybe a few that make you chuckle, heavy emphasis on really colorful and fake-looking effects, and entirely based around pandering to nostalgia for beloved properties without really understanding what people liked about those things in the first place.

That all being said, nothing about this reboot is irredeemable and they could easily fix most of the problems with a sequel, so I'll be interested to see if they make an attempt.

Timu

The movie is an OK comedy which means it's better than most comedy movies that come out. It has a metascore of 60 and an RT of 75. It's about as good as Central Intelligienceor Neighbors 2, so the reviews it gets seem right to me. Ghostbusters has the advantage of having more likable/popular starts than N2 though.
73 actually.

ryan299

Well that was terrible. McKinnon was the only funny thing in the movie, outside of some small parts, and a few of the cameos.

Really disappointed in Wiig, thought she'd be better. Mainly the script sucks and just wasn't funny.

Sanjuro

Whoops, didn't realize there was an OT. I'll repost what I wrote in the review thread:

Just saw it. I'm disappointed that so many people made such a stink about the women aspect, because none of this movie's problems have to do with that. Most of the film is just really boring. There's this constant rapid-fire "awkward humor" running throughout the whole thing that just isn't funny 90% of the time, and there are long stretches where the movie just dumps loads of exposition on you without even attempting to entertain. The best part of the movie is when it stops trying to be a comedy and just does action-y stuff in the final act.

Honestly, I think comparisons to Pixels are entirely apt as that movie feels really similar to this one. Lots of jokes that don't land with maybe a few that make you chuckle, heavy emphasis on really colorful and fake-looking effects, and entirely based around pandering to nostalgia for beloved properties without really understanding what people liked about those things in the first place.

That all being said, nothing about this reboot is irredeemable and they could easily fix most of the problems with a sequel, so I'll be interested to see if they make an attempt.

Regarding Pixels, it's really a toss up. It certainly felt like a more coherent film than Ghostbusters. I think that may have more to do with Chris Columbus at the helm though.

AniHawk

so i just saw it and it was just pretty boring.

ghostbusters 2 felt like a stitched-together collection of skits for harold ramis, dan aykroyd, and bill murray to do things they thought were funny and kind of added in characters from the first movie to complete it (the biggest offender being ray suddenly being able to do an improv new york construction worker accent and play flawlessly off of venkman).

answer the call felt like the same thing. it felt like it was just a stitched-together collection of improv sessions with a bit of action in the middle. like the scene where they're in the mayor's office and arguing about putting cats back into the bag and it goes on forever.

i liked patty, and i would go as far as to say she was the only character i actually liked. i wanted to love holtzman since it looked like kate mckinnon was having fun, and i like kate mckinnon a whole lot, but she wound up being pretty one-note. what i think this movie lacked was weight. patty gives it that, in that she is probably the most realistic person in the whole movie. the problem i have is that no one seems to care about anything going on in the movie except for patty. holtzman freaks out when rowan starts wrecking her gear, but that's essentially it. patty refers to the mannequin room as the room of nightmares. that's great! in ghostbusters, the guys run from the first ghost they see, peter screams into the walkie-talkie as the second ghost he sees charges him, egon and peter back away from ray's proton pack, peter lets winston and ray go up the stairs before him in dana barret's apartment, crossing the streams is bad, egon becomes terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought, they all struggle with money problems at the start of the film... i felt like there were threats being taken seriously.

in ghostbusters: answer the call, bill murray's character is killed, and not only do the characters not seem to care, but there is no consequence for it (they get interviewed by the cops and i guess 'a ghost did it' works for them? the ghostbusters in ghostbusters were jailed for an explosion but these women don't get put into a holding cell for the death of a man?). the women get kicked out of their respective colleges - a shlubby guy awkwardly chases them with a baseball bat. they can't afford the firehouse - they can afford the place above the chinese food restaurant, and erin can still live in her own place, without any sort of income, apparently. the mayor won't let them be ghostbusters - they can still be ghostbusters in private (with no funding). rowan kills himself in front of them - whoa, a dead guy!

it's really my main complaint about the movie. and it's weird because i think spy is actually pretty funny and has weight and consequences and fun jokes. ghostbusters: answer the call feels like people trying to say funny things while doing a ghostbusters origins story. ghostbusters didn't need an origins story. we don't need to know where the proton packs come from, where the car comes from, or where they get the logo. and the firehouse being an achievement for winning the video game that was this movie was a weird way to put the ghostbusters in this film at roughly the place the ghostbusters from the first movie were about 20 minutes into that film.

there's some funny stuff. the mayor from jaws line is great because of his overreaction - the implication being this has happened before and enough where he just snaps. i liked some, but not most of kevin's dumbness.

i guess that's it. it's harmless and i hope some people enjoy it. i would probably be down for a sequel if the characters reacted to things more like actual people would.

Inoffensive but really poor, acting of most of the leads was tragic and the pacing, especially the ending felt like everything was rushed.

Honestly would not recommend and its not a touch on the original nor is it even better than the second movie.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yep. Overall this is a bad movie, it's not even average, just bad. I don't see how anyone can defend this

I mean, subjectively someone could absolutely be entertained by the cast and jokes if you were into them.

I don't think you could make much of an argument that the movie has great storytelling technique though.

...and this right here is the problem permeating the internet.

"I don't like thing, so how could anyone else possibly like thing?"

Exactly.

I loved it but I totally understand that others might not.

And this is a clear throughline in a lot of the garbage youtube reviews, I hated this so anyone who didn't is wrong. Some even go as far as to say I hated this so anyone who didn't is a liar too afraid to speak up unlike brave awesome me.

KingV

so i just saw it and it was just pretty boring.

ghostbusters 2 felt like a stitched-together collection of skits for harold ramis, dan aykroyd, and bill murray to do things they thought were funny and kind of added in characters from the first movie to complete it (the biggest offender being ray suddenly being able to do an improv new york construction worker accent and play flawlessly off of venkman).

answer the call felt like the same thing. it felt like it was just a stitched-together collection of improv sessions with a bit of action in the middle. like the scene where they're in the mayor's office and arguing about putting cats back into the bag and it goes on forever.

i liked patty, and i would go as far as to say she was the only character i actually liked. i wanted to love holtzman since it looked like kate mckinnon was having fun, and i like kate mckinnon a whole lot, but she wound up being pretty one-note. what i think this movie lacked was weight. patty gives it that, in that she is probably the most realistic person in the whole movie. the problem i have is that no one seems to care about anything going on in the movie except for patty. holtzman freaks out when rowan starts wrecking her gear, but that's essentially it. patty refers to the mannequin room as the room of nightmares. that's great! in ghostbusters, the guys run from the first ghost they see, peter screams into the walkie-talkie as the second ghost he sees charges him, egon and peter back away from ray's proton pack, peter lets winston and ray go up the stairs before him in dana barret's apartment, crossing the streams is bad, egon becomes terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought, they all struggle with money problems at the start of the film... i felt like there were threats being taken seriously.

in ghostbusters: answer the call, bill murray's character is killed, and not only do the characters not seem to care, but there is no consequence for it (they get interviewed by the cops and i guess 'a ghost did it' works for them? the ghostbusters in ghostbusters were jailed for an explosion but these women don't get put into a holding cell for the death of a man?). the women get kicked out of their respective colleges - a shlubby guy awkwardly chases them with a baseball bat. they can't afford the firehouse - they can afford the place above the chinese food restaurant, and erin can still live in her own place, without any sort of income, apparently. the mayor won't let them be ghostbusters - they can still be ghostbusters in private (with no funding). rowan kills himself in front of them - whoa, a dead guy!

it's really my main complaint about the movie. and it's weird because i think spy is actually pretty funny and has weight and consequences and fun jokes. ghostbusters: answer the call feels like people trying to say funny things while doing a ghostbusters origins story. ghostbusters didn't need an origins story. we don't need to know where the proton packs come from, where the car comes from, or where they get the logo. and the firehouse being an achievement for winning the video game that was this movie was a weird way to put the ghostbusters in this film at roughly the place the ghostbusters from the first movie were about 20 minutes into that film.

there's some funny stuff. the mayor from jaws line is great because of his overreaction - the implication being this has happened before and enough where he just snaps. i liked some, but not most of kevin's dumbness.

i guess that's it. it's harmless and i hope some people enjoy it. i would probably be down for a sequel if the characters reacted to things more like actual people would.

Paul Feig is an enigma to me (as a director).

I tend to enjoy his movies but I really hate the IDEA of his movies. And I think that you really illustrated why. After the movie is done, the parts that stick with me are the dumb extended skits that are out of place. So the next time I go to see one of his movies I think "oh, it's just going to be dumb fart jokes and skits".

But he's actually pretty good at more subdued comedy, and just can't control himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom