• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinSoX

Banned
It's 1:00am in the morning here and this thread just made me microwave some lasagna. Damn you.
Keep posting

Zensetsu

Souldriver said:
Seconded.
You're making a nice homemade dish with fresh ingredients into a standard "pasta with ketchup" from the deep freeze section in your supermarket.

OnkelC said:
Trust me, this one tastes anything like noodles with ketchup. Try it out. :lol

I'd have to second OnkelC in this matter: do it with fresh tomatoes, that are actually ripe (best way to ensure this is to grow them yourself....or go to somewhere like an organic farmers market) - not tomatoes that have been picked green and left sitting in a ripening shed for a few weeks.

There's a dramatic difference in taste thats hard to explain unless you've had REAL tomatoes.
The stuff you buy frozen with the "ketchup" is much saltier, and lacks the acidic tang of the tomato - and is usually loaded with sugar too.

bovo

Rei_Toei said:
I served it with ‘kroepoek’ (shrimp chips? I don’t know what it is called in English, and it isn’t in my dictionary)

In the UK they are called "Prawn Crackers" - that probably doesn't help any other english speakers though....

Enjoying the thread by the way - if I ever make anything that isn't pre packaged I may contribute (in fact made my version of austrian dumpling soup yesterday, but didn't have camera nearby...)

(by 'my version' i mean it's probably so different as to be unrecognisable)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Special update:
The dish for tonight is cancelled due to an invitation for dinner.
As a little compesation I am putting together a little post about acquisition of foods and other necessities of life in Germany, my little field trip to the backland of todays morning and some elaboration about the total costs of food and living over here in general.

Pics are uploading, stay tuned.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yesterday I got to know some new (for me) midnight snack: doritos covered with cheese heated shortly in the oven. Not only simple to make but a welcome addition to the repertoire of night snacks, lately mostly enormous quantities of Döner Kebab. And the girl introducing me to this fabulous stuff was nice too. /happy

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Dammit, my mum is cooking dinner for guests today and she was cooking some really good stuff, but its too late to post the recipe with pitures because she has done most of it. I promise I will post a recipe eventually.

My mum was cooking couscous and a creme caramel. couscous is a weird name for some arabs because in some arab dialects, cous means vagina:lol

kojacker

Mama Smurf said:
Well as an alternative to humus I have a guacamole recipe I like.
I'm eating your guacamole recipie right now and it's very nice, thanks again Mama Smurf

And Hooker, never mind - we'll turn you veggie yet!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
psycho_snake said:
Dammit, my mum is cooking dinner for guests today and she was cooking some really good stuff, but its too late to post the recipe with pitures because she has done most of it. I promise I will post a recipe eventually.

My mum was cooking couscous and a creme caramel. couscous is a weird name for some arabs because in some arab dialects, cous means vagina:lol
I like eating cous cous from time to time!
*zing*
:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I was asked in another thread about the total costs of living here.
Since this is the cooking thread, I will start with the costs of eating and cooking.
To keep it simple, I will post the costs in Euro only. You can use the following exchange rates as of today:

1 Euro equals roughly:
USD 1.28
CAD 1.44
GBP 0,68
JPY 148,33
SFr. 1,58

The cost of the dishes posted so far were 60 to 70 EUR in total.
All dishes were cooked to easily feed three to four adults with hunger in them, so the average cost of seven meals per week can be estimated to be about 20-25 EUR/week per person. This requires the self-preparation of dishes and the wise planning of the purchase of ingredients, though.

One can get along with less, too. When I went to university, I had to cope with 7,50 DM per day total spendings, which equals to roughly 3,83 EUR. From this sum I had to also finance books/literature and the daily nicotine fix, and it worked out somehow. Needless to explain that I studied against the bank:lol.

This had me working abroad as a cook on several tourist ships, or less bragging sounding, boats, a job that I have done since being a teenager. Working on ships leads you to beautiful places, but as you get paid for pleasing the passengers culinarily(sp?) and are reponsible for feeding 25 persons with 3 breakfast, lunch, afternoon pastry and dinner, the lack of ones knowledge in foreign shopping culture suddenly punches you in the face.
For me, it was always a tough task to do the shopping for the crew and guests when we sailed to a new country or even a new harbor. To figure out where to get food at all, what is minced meat/ground beef called in France, at which stores can I buy a decent Schnitzel in Italy and what is it called, what supermarkets to prefer in Denmark, Whats the difference between baguette and pan bagnat, and so on. Go figure all the stuff you won't learn at school or university. Language education does not suck, but is very theoretical.

To ease this learning process for the ships cooks in the making on NeoGAF or somebody planning a longer trip to this humble country or going expatriate, I collected up the following stuff so the first days over here will end less hungry and more satisfied.:lol

Food and its ingredients can be acquired at a multitude of places. Most frequented for the basic and advanced needs are the "Supermärkte" (Supermarkets) and discount stores.

A "Supermarkt" (Supermarket) has its lineup mostly focused on the Brand foods and products. The sales floor is usually between 800 and 1400 square meters. the average assortment includes around 2000-2500 articles.

A "discount store" has its lineup mostly focused on company-owned brands and products (so-called "Hausmarken"), but always has some Brand foods on sale. Haribo Products for example are present in both of the biggest discount store chains.
The overall assortment in a discount store includes less articles, usually around 800-1200.

Fresh vegetables and fruits, as well as refridgerated, pre-packed fresh meat and frozen goods can be bought in both kinds of stores in a vast variety.

Quality of the goods is generally on a high level, one can do no wrong if he or she buys his stuff only in supermarkets or at discount stores.

The biggest supermarket chains in Germany are the "Rewe" and the "Edeka". They bear the following logos/store signs:
rewe.gif
edeka.jpg

Edeka is not a company in traditional sense, but a cooperative society of independent Merchants, bearing the "Edeka" CI and doing nationwide centralized advertisements. It is the biggest food retailer in Germany.
Wiki on Edeka:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edeka

The biggest discount stores in Germany are "Aldi Nord" (northern half of Germany, the middle line being Mülheim an der Ruhr in NRW), "Aldi Süd" (southern half of Germany) and "Lidl" stores across the whole nation.
They bear the following logos:
aldi-nord-gross.jpg
aldi-sued-gross.jpg
lidl-gross.jpg

Both/all three companies are family-owned and operated. Due to tax reasons, Aldi and Lidl Holdings were transferred to respective foundations.

Wiki on Aldi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALDI
and Lidl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl

So, nobody will starve over here if you buy your stuff in those joints.
To get some seriously good German stuff cooking, you have to visit the specialized stores, mainly vegetable stores, butchers, and the bakeries.
I accompanied the wife on her way to work and have taken some pictures for you to find your way around some not-so touristically-exploited cities over here.
smallCIMG0560.jpg

smallCIMG0556.jpg

smallCIMG0568.jpg

Working days for Jeannie and me start early, but I resisted sleep to bring you some fresh pictures.

Which I will post later this evening, because we're off to dinner invitation right now. Tonight, I will give you an intimate insight in the art of bakeries, the butcher stores and German speed traps, the nemesis of every automibilist:lol .

As a bonus, you will see what 9.38 Euros will buy you at the Mickey D's over here.

Stay tuned, discuss and post questions, criticism and feedback aplenty!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
kojacker said:
I'm eating your guacamole recipie right now and it's very nice, thanks again Mama Smurf

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

Sticking with the mexican theme, and a thing to eat with the guacamole, are quesadillas.

This doesn't even seem like cooking to me really as it's so simple, but I suppose it is.

You'll need:

Flour tortillas (2 for each quesadillas, depends how many you want to make)
Red onion
Red bell pepper
Green chili pepper
Coriander
Cheddar cheese
Mixing bowl

I've told somebody this recipe before and they didn't get the right sort of tortillas, so just in case they should look like this:

Tortillas%20for%20all.jpg

I haven't been very specific with any of the ingredients. I don't think it really matters if it's a green chili pepper or red, I just like the colour. And I don't use much at all or it blows my head off, not even close to a whole one if I'm just making one for myself, but that's down to your taste. I don't really know how much red onion, just about the same amount as the red bell pepper. I just use dried coriander (NOT powdered, which is a spice rather than a herb), but if you have it fresh then go for it. I'm sure you could use other cheese than cheddar, and different strengths, but I'm not very good with cheeses, don't like many, so most of the time cheddar will be in my recipes.

Anyway, with that out of the way...

1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C

2. Look at your flour tortillas. You're going to want to cover one of those with the mixture almost to the edge (but not quite, you'll be pressing down on it and the mixture will spread out a bit) at about the thickness of 1 - 2cm, so depending on how many you're going to make, estimate how much of each ingredient you're going to need.

3. Chop the red onion up into small pieces, but it doesn't have to be fine. Put in the bowl.

4. Chop up about the same amount of the red bell pepper, again small pieces but not tiny. Put in the bowl.

5. If you've got fresh coriander, chop a bunch of that up and throw it in. If it's dried like me, shake in enough so it's well represented through the other ingredients.

6. Chop the green chili pepper up extremely finely (removing the seeds unless you're insane) and add. Do it to taste, you can always add more but you'll struggle to get it out if you add too much. For god sake don't rub your eyes or readjust yourself, wash your hands right after.

7. Grate your cheese in. It kind of needs about as much as the rest of the ingredients combined, it has to bind everything together. Mix everything together in the bowl.

8. Place one of your tortillas (or multiple ones if you have them) on a flat baking tray. Scoop out your mixture and place it in the middle, spreading it so it's flat and 1 - 2cm thick, with maybe an inch of room left up to the edge of the tortilla.

9. Take another tortilla and place it on top of the mixture, lined up with the other one. Press down firmly and evenly.

10. Put the quesadillas and the baking tray in the oven. You want to remove them when they're going golden and the cheese is melting. The tortillas should have gone crispy. I don't have a time, but it does it pretty quickly so keep an eye on it, doubt it'd take more than 10 minutes.

11. Remove the quesadillas when ready and cut into quarters. Eat with guacamole or even on their own. Oh and a warning, the fat that coems off this from the cheese tend to drip out onto your hands, it can be pretty hard to eat without burning yourself.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm to knackered to cook tonight, I have however been creating the OnkelC guide to cooking in downloadable format, hope that's OK OnkelC! I was going to use it for my reference at home, but if it's OK with Onkel it could be given to the gaf for the greater good, I've noted each recipe documented here (up to page 5 so far) and the poster that created the dish. Table of contents looks like this

Wiener Schnitzel, German style. -OnkelC 3
Käsespätzle –OnkelC 8
Pesto –OnkelC 16
Ei-uienprut Deluxe – Rei_Toei 24
NEEDS DISH NAME – OnkelC 29
"Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti" –OnkelC 36
"Apfelpfannkuchen" or "Eierkuchen" –OnkelC 47

with better formatting. What do you reckon Onkel? I'm documenting every dish that has pictures and noting every poster that created said dish and it bears the title "Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1 just like the thread. I estimate probably being caught up to the thread by the end of wednesday. This way the horrors of imageshack etc won't compromise this awesome thread.

P.S Rei_Toei, you and yer lady friends pictures are in it, as I copied everything unedited I think (unless there was an individual pic of every ingredient) so let me know if you want those removed before it hits the PDF maker, otherwise you will be immortalised in uneditable PDF Form :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
catfish said:
Well I'm to knackered to cook tonight, I have however been creating the OnkelC guide to cooking in downloadable format, hope that's OK OnkelC! I was going to use it for my reference at home, but if it's OK with Onkel it could be given to the gaf for the greater good, I've noted each recipe documented here (up to page 5 so far) and the poster that created the dish. Table of contents looks like this

Käsespätzle –OnkelC 8
Pesto –OnkelC 16
NEEDS DISH NAME – OnkelC 29

with better formatting. What do you reckon Onkel? I'm documenting every dish that has pictures and noting every poster that created said dish and it bears the title "Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1 just like the thread. I estimate probably being caught up to the thread by the end of wednesday. This way the horrors of imageshack etc won't compromise this awesome thread.

P.S Rei_Toei, you and yer lady friends pictures are in it, as I copied everything unedited I think (unless there was an individual pic of every ingredient) so let me know if you want those removed before it hits the PDF maker, otherwise you will be immortalised in uneditable PDF Form :lol
I would be totally cool with that !

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Cool idea Catfish. I have no problems with me showing up in the GAF cookbook, but maybe you can edit out my friend, dunno if she would like to end up in it. I'll ask her. And don't forget my Pasta Putanesca and Chicken with tomato sauce ;).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
-continued-
This is what you will get for 9,38 Euros at the local McD:
Junior cheeseburger menu with small fries and coke, Royale with tomato and salad, a big mac and barbecue sauce extra.

smallCIMG0613.jpg

The gadget was a "Hello Kitty" diary and matching stickers. The wife liked it, I got a heavy case of diabetes just looking at it:
smallCIMG0614.jpg

smallCIMG0615.jpg

smallCIMG0616.jpg

I posted this because I would never condemn fast food and I enjoy it from time to time. Nobody needs to be ashamed to get this kick one time or another:lol
I atoned for this nuitritional sin tonight and had only this salad for dinner, which can be prepared at home easily:
smallCIMG0617.jpg

ingredients are:
lambs lettuce/field salad
mushrooms
parmesan
bresaola (italian sundried and salted meat)
tomatoes for decoration
olive oil, balsamico vinegar, salt and pepper

Tomorrow I will be back to the old form and give you a real German classic:

"Frikadellen mit Kartoffelbrei und Rotkohl"
(rissoles with mashed potatoes and red cabbage)

Keep posting!

Crystalkoen

Awesome idea, Catfish. I was going to do similar, but hadn't actually gotten around to formatting and the like, just letting it sit in Textedit with pics and text. I would be most interested in it when you finish the project.

To the food posters: I look forward to trying a few of these recipes, the Curry and Rösti being high on my list of potential candidates, saying I ever get unlazy and feel like actually cooking something, instead of the stuff that's already cooked by the time I get it (Read: Box/can dinners).

In closing, I say this: thank you for your effort!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@Mama Smurf:
Very nice quesadilla recipe!:lol It is good to see some more mexican influenced dishes in here, as they are some nice companions for summer nights. Keep them coming!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rei_Toei said:
Cool idea Catfish. I have no problems with me showing up in the GAF cookbook, but maybe you can edit out my friend, dunno if she would like to end up in it. I'll ask her. And don't forget my Pasta Putanesca and Chicken with tomato sauce ;).

No probs, done, but tell your friend it's a great photo and makes us gaffers look cooler if theres a woman in there :lol and yeah anything with pictures and descriptions is going in there!

Awesome idea, Catfish. I was going to do similar, but hadn't actually gotten around to formatting and the like, just letting it sit in Textedit with pics and text. I would be most interested in it when you finish the project.

Cheers I've just got it in a word document with a cover TOC and almost straight copy and pasting of the instructions and pictures(shrunk) Once it's up to date I might stick the word doc up somewhere so people can make suggestions/changes.

Jacobi

Banned
Great catfish, I also wanted to do something like this, but no I won't have to. Someday I also contribute to this thread.

Haven't commented in this great thread in awhile, so I'm here to say good work guys, and keep it up. I hope to post a dish later this week, either Katsu Chicken or Sheperd’s Pie.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@ All:

I have added an index to the first post.

@ Sportzhead: Both would be great. I am still interested in the Macaroni and cheese dish, so if there is a chance...

Is there any interest in a second part of "food acquisition"? I ask because it is a little off-topic.

bovo

OnkelC said:
I am still interested in the Macaroni and cheese dish, so if there is a chance...

Although I'm not the one who mentioned it before, i'm almost certainly going to make macaroni cheese in the next couple of days - can take photos /make instructions if wanted...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo said:
Although I'm not the one who mentioned it before, i'm almost certainly going to make macaroni cheese in the next couple of days - can take photos /make instructions if wanted...
Yes, Yes and Yes!:lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Wow, thanks so much for adding the index. This kicks ass.

My boyfriend and I will be making beaver tails when he comes to visit soon, so I'll be sure to take pics :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cloudwalking said:
Wow, thanks so much for adding the index. This kicks ass.

My boyfriend and I will be making beaver tails when he comes to visit soon, so I'll be sure to take pics :)

That sounded great from the first description, I am looking forward to see it!:lol

Edit: since you are very capable with anything graphic, I would really like to see a contribution of your work in the "will cook for new Avatar!" contest!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
someone posted a sweet havarti mac and cheese recipe a year or so ago. i want to say it was bish. i ended up tryin it and it was fantastic.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
catfish said:
No probs, done, but tell your friend it's a great photo and makes us gaffers look cooler if theres a woman in there :lol and yeah anything with pictures and descriptions is going in there!

I'll try and convince her, she's coming over this weekend, I'll just take pictures till she agrees on one being good enough :).

Onkel: I think I'm gonna try the pesto pasta tomorrow, gonna cook at/with a friend that has a blender \o/

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@ Rei_Toei:

I am happy to hear that! Have fun and give us an unbiased opinion on how it worked out for you:lol

@ All:
The Macaroni and cheese contest thing sounds great! Let the forum be the judge!

I took a day off work for today, so I have time to answer all questions concerning food, preparation and so on. Keep them coming!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Onkel the dish you made after Rei_Toei made his first dish it didn't have a name that I found in the thread, what was it called?

Running off to work now but I think it's either on page 3 or 4. right after

Ei-uienprut Deluxe – Rei_Toei

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
catfish said:
Onkel the dish you made after Rei_Toei made his first dish it didn't have a name that I found in the thread, what was it called?

Running off to work now but I think it's either on page 3 or 4. right after

Ei-uienprut Deluxe – Rei_Toei
The full name is "Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi", it can go by "Paglia e Fieno", too:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The ingredients for tonights dish "Frikadellen mit Kartoffelbrei und Rotkohl" (rissoles with mashed potatoes and red cabbage) are the following (2-3 persons):
smallCIMG0628.jpg

roughly 350 to 400 grams of ground/minced meat, half pork/half beef,
red cabbage (precooked, since it's not the season)
one to two small onions (not pictured)
500-600 grams of potatoes (preferably mealy(?) cooking)
one dry old bun or piece of bread of the same size
one whole egg (not pictured)
little piece of butter
one to two cups of milk
little bit of pulverized nutmeg
marjoram/marjorie
one bouillon cube or dried bouillon/broth extract
salt and pepper

Cooking will start around 17.30 Berlin time. Stay tuned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Guns N' Poops said:
OnkelC, hast du vielleicht ein gutes Rezept für einen Paprikaeintopf?
Ja! Ich werde mir den Vorschlag aufschreiben und vielleicht demnächst mal ein Rezept dazu posten. Kann es mit Fleisch sein oder lieber vegetarisch?

GnP just asked about a recipe for a bell pepper stew.
I told him that I will put it on the list and maybe post a recipe someday later.
Let's keep this in english, as it is the language understood by the majority of the GAFfers, ok?:)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Haha, Onkel drives a Focus

/stalker

Now, I'll try to make some of my focking awesome tacos if I met my friends this week. It's the only thing I know how to make that doesn't look terrible (mostly because is wrapped, lawlz) and is easy enough for the n00bs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
Haha, Onkel drives a Focus

/stalker

Now, I'll try to make some of my focking awesome tacos if I met my friends this week. It's the only thing I know how to make that doesn't look terrible (mostly because is wrapped, lawlz) and is easy enough for the n00bs.
:lol
It's not mine. I drive this little charmer:
12100002.jpg

License plate sez: PUR3 S3XX0R

On topic: hit us with your best taco shot! If I will mess up some dish, be sure it will be posted here, too. It's home-style cooking dammit!:lol

But I am sure that it will turn out to be nice and tasty looking, as it is homemade.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Haven't started yet, but the ingredients are in the house. I don't know if I can take pictures since it's not at my place and pictures up till now were taken with the camera of a roommate, but we'll see. I'll let you know how everything worked out. Since I have a major exam friday (international economics ftl) cooking hasn't been spectacular the last few days, but I'll add some interesting stuff in the weekend and after (perhaps some more traditional dutch cooking or indonesian stuff) :).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:
Haven't started yet, but the ingredients are in the house. I don't know if I can take pictures since it's not at my place and pictures up till now were taken with the camera of a roommate, but we'll see. I'll let you know how everything worked out. Since I have a major exam friday (international economics ftl) cooking hasn't been spectacular the last few days, but I'll add some interesting stuff in the weekend and after (perhaps some more traditional dutch cooking or indonesian stuff) :).
Best of luck for the exam. Stuff like that should always be top priority. You are hereby set free from the kitchen duty until after the exam and the liquor-infused night after that!:lol
But report back when everything is over (including the hangover)!
Wir drücken dir die Daumen!
Again, best of luck to you from this humble kitchen.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks mate. I'm not gonna be ****faced friday evening since I'm gonna go biking in the Veluwe with my brother and nephews saturday, but saturday evening... Saturday I will make sure to be thoroughly wasted. Already looking forward to it :D.

OnkelC said:
Ja! Ich werde mir den Vorschlag aufschreiben und vielleicht demnächst mal ein Rezept dazu posten. Kann es mit Fleisch sein oder lieber vegetarisch?

GnP just asked about a recipe for a bell pepper stew.
I told him that I will put it on the list and maybe post a recipe someday later.
Let's keep this in english, as it is the language understood by the majority of the GAFfers, ok?:)

I thought about one with ground meat. But without beans ^^

Zensetsu said:
I'd have to second OnkelC in this matter: do it with fresh tomatoes, that are actually ripe (best way to ensure this is to grow them yourself....or go to somewhere like an organic farmers market) - not tomatoes that have been picked green and left sitting in a ripening shed for a few weeks.

There's a dramatic difference in taste thats hard to explain unless you've had REAL tomatoes.
The stuff you buy frozen with the "ketchup" is much saltier, and lacks the acidic tang of the tomato - and is usually loaded with sugar too.
That very well may be all true, but I still don't understand why people would take out al the "solid" parts to create some kind of soup. :s I'd much rather eat something than drink it. And when you drink something all flavors are mushed together so some of them may get lost.

That's just my opinion. And I wasn't necessarily stating it did taste like ketchup, it just looked like it. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
YIKES

TOC for the book so far
You can't tell from the formatting but Saturday sausagefest as the germans do it, everything after is nested under subheadings as that was a mother****er of a meal to document :lol

Hooker your dish comes after the sausagefest as it landed in the middle of the making of Onkels sausagefest and I had my handsful documenting that. It's going nicely, can't wait till it's done so I can put it up for formatting critique. Got to find a stop point if this thread keeps rolling as well :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114208 1
Käsespätzle –OnkelC 8
Pesto –OnkelC 16
Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi – OnkelC 29
Schwein mit Estragon 57
Pasta Putanesca – Rei_Toei 64
An Assortment of German Chocolates and Sweets! –OnkelC 67
Saturday Sausagefest as Ze Germans do it! –OnkelC 68
NudelSalat 68
Homemade Bread Prep 74
Grill Time! 81
Back to the Dough 84
Sausage science 101! 90

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Todays dish, "Frikadellen mit Kartoffelbrei und Rotkohl" is a true German lunch classic. It is often served as dish of the day and a must in every staff canteen/casino/cafeteria. I found no matching english translation for "Frikadellen", the closest thing would be the french rissoles. Frikadellen are made from minced beef and pork, bouillon-soaked bread, eggs, onions and some spices. You can use every spice you like to give your "Frikadellen" your personal flavor. Common spices are caraway, parsley, paprika, garlic, oregano, you get the point.

They go by regionally different names, in southern parts of Germany they are called "Fleischpflanzerl" (Meaty flower), the Berlin region calls them "Buletten" (from the french Boule=little ball), my region, the Rhineland calls them "Bremsklötze" (brake pads). If they are burnt, you can call them "Brandenburger" (translates roughly into "burntburger"):D

The "Rotkohl" (red cabbage) is by nature a side dish for autumn or winter; since we had constant rain and temperatures around 18 degrees celsius for the week, it was quite matching. I had to use precoked red cabbage, because season for the fresh one starts in October. Fresh red cabbage is cooked for two to three hours together with goose fat, bay leaves, cloves, grated apples, blackcurrant jam and some red wine. If the thread is still alive in autumn, I will post some recipes. It is a great side dish for all red meat variations, with hog roast and the famous "Sauerbraten" being the most popular ones.

"Kartoffelbrei" (mashed potatoes) is a traditional side dish that goes well with "Bratwurst", fish and roast poultry. usually mealy(?) cooking potato sorts are used, but I went with solid cooking sort for a more silky result.

Special utensils needed:
smallCIMG0665.jpg

electric wire whisk
smallCIMG0650.jpg

todays newspaper (starring Angie)

About half an hour before the actual preparation starts, prepare some bouillon with boiling water and a bouillon cube and put some old bread or bun in it, so it can soak:
smallCIMG0631.jpg

smallCIMG0633.jpg

The soaked bread adds a bit of tenderness to the Frikadellen and keeps them fluffy. I used a piece of the leftover homemade bread from saturdays' sausage fest.

When the actual preparation starts, squeeze the bread with your hands until it stops dripping. put it in a bowl:
smallCIMG0635.jpg

Hygiene advice:
everytime when working on raw meat, poultry, fish or eggs, you shold remove any rings from your fingers to avoid cavities for salmonella. I put mine on the coffee maker for most of the time:
smallCIMG0634.jpg

Next, add the minced meat. Traditionally, a blend of ground pork and beef is used, but you can use pure beef or pork as you wish. Add one or two size M eggs and spices of choice (I went with a pure variant of majoram/marjorie, salt and pepper):
smallCIMG0636.jpg

smallCIMG0638.jpg

smallCIMG0639.jpg

smallCIMG0640.jpg

Mix it with your hands. this is done best when you squeeze the dough with your hands like the "Sea-Wolf" by Jack London:D :
smallCIMG0641.jpg

If you, like me, have forgotten to dice the small onion which is essential to this dish, this would be a good point to catch up on this:
smallCIMG0642.jpg

smallCIMG0643.jpg

smallCIMG0644.jpg

The result should be of this consistency:
moist, but not sticky, well-mixed but not too homogenous:
smallCIMG0645.jpg

add more spices if wanted; the dough should be of an intensive taste.

Next, put the red cabbage in a small pot, add a little bit of butter or goose fat, put a lid on it and let it cook on low heat:
smallCIMG0654.jpg

smallCIMG0655.jpg

smallCIMG0658.jpg

Now peel the potatoes, This amount is sufficient for three adult persons:
smallCIMG0651.jpg

Cut them roughly into small to medium dices, put them in a pot, add water and salt and leth them cook for 15-20 minutes:
smallCIMG0660.jpg

smallCIMG0661.jpg

smallCIMG0663.jpg

Form some patties from the meatdough. Size them as you wish and put them in a pre-heated pan with some oil with stove set medium to high heat:
smallCIMG0664.jpg

smallCIMG0669.jpg

The heat should NOT be turned to max, because the patties will fry for about 10 minutes and require to be turned over frequently:

Next, prepare a second bowl with sole salt and powdered nutmeg for the mashed potatoes:
smallCIMG0671.jpg

Turn over the patties frequently, I did it four times in total. They lose some size, so I added the excess pattie later::
smallCIMG0672.jpg

smallCIMG0674.jpg

smallCIMG0675.jpg

smallCIMG0684.jpg

Finish line:
The potatoes should be done by now. Pour the excess water and put them back on the turned out flame to let them "cook dry":
smallCIMG0676.jpg

When they are dried, put them into the bowl and stir them for a few seconds. Add some milk, stir again for a few seconds, add some butter and mix it until it has a silky smooth texture and there are only a few chunks left:
smallCIMG0679.jpg

smallCIMG0681.jpg

smallCIMG0682.jpg

Red cabbage and Frikadellen should be done now. Aren't they tasty?
smallCIMG0684.jpg

Put the pan with the Frikadellen on the table and serve directly form the pan.

smallCIMG0686.jpg

Not Done!
For the extra decadent taste sensation, add a spoon of the now aromated oil from the frying pan on top of the Kartoffelbrei:
smallCIMG0687.jpg

DONE!

Guten Appetit from Bonn.

Comments, critics and general feedback are heartily encouraged.
Edit:
I am calling it a day for today.

Keep'em coming!:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom