• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: When Jim Sterling Was Sued For $10 Million By Digital Homicide

Akai__

He must be insanely relieved now that it's over. Can't imagine the level of frustration he must have gone through for all these bullshit claims. The Libel points were absolutely insane.

Also, I guess it's okay to show the documents after such a lawsuit has happened? I'm quite surprised that it is.

Anyways, 38 minutes of roasting and the casual #FuckKonami at the end. Good job Jim Sterling.

Holy ****. I wasn't expecting it this early today. I am going to sit back and enjoy this video shortly. Edit: And 38 minutes long. This is going to be epic.

Steroyd

so will jim ever see the money for legal fees
seems like a broken system if you can drain someone financially just by filing bullshit lawsuits regardless of the outcome

Nope, he showed mercy by not pursuing legal fees, that said it was probably like drawing blood from a stone if he did try to pursue.

He must be insanely relieved now that it's over. Can't imagine the level of frustration he must have gone through for all these bullshit claims. The Libel points were absolutely insane.

Also, I guess it's okay to show the documents after such a lawsuit has happened? I'm quite surprised that it is.

Anyways, 38 minutes of roasting and the casual #FuckKonami at the end. Good job Jim Sterling.

The documents have been publically available some youtubers were talking about it in more detail, during the amendments and such Leonard French comes to mind when talking about this.

Also I noticed that Konami have now usurped Digital Homicide as the worst now.

It's really sad that a flimsy, completely unsubstantiated lawsuit like this can actually make it to a stage where it cost Jim money. Hopefully it'll at least serve as a cautionary tale.

Akai__

The documents have been publically available some youtubers were talking about it in more detail, during the amendments and such Leonard French comes to mind when talking about this.

Also I noticed that Konami have now usurped Digital Homicide as the worst now.

Makes sense. I wasn't aware of that.

That must be why he also said something like "everyone is allowed to talk about it except me".

-shadow-

You know that when even Jim is speechless. Freaking JIM being speechless, you know how insane it is! 😂

Maximo

Believe the documents are public and hes unable to sue him again on the same charges.

Nightbird

lol at the Ace Attorney music later in the video, thats great haha

But holy shit. This whole thing reeks of desperation of a level i didn't considered before.

Welp, that was amazing. Amazingly stupid, amazingly insane and amazingly entertaining. What a complete shame that idiots like the Romines can do shit like this, but at least they drained their own money and energy as well, I guess? What a complete lose-lose shitshow. Hopefully the buzz around this will recoup Jim in the long run while, as the video clearly demonstrates, the Romines are doing a great job doing themselves in at this point.

Accoun

Excuse me, ROMINE SEND BACK A SIGNED AGREEMENT THAT WAS EDITED WITHOUT INFORMING THE AUTHOR? Holy shit, can Jim talk about what has changed?

Meia

Yeah, I'm going to have to wait to watch this and enjoy this. Less than a minute in and I've already lost it at the lasers and "sound effects" for such. :D

Makes sense. I wasn't aware of that.

That must be why he also said something like "everyone is allowed to talk about it except me".
And, in fact, I was never instructed by my lawyer to be as quiet as I was. It was more common sense and safety on my part.

I may make this its own article or something, but I am genuinely disturbed by this aspect of the case. Even if you're not specifically gagged, you don't want to talk for fear of saying anything that could be twisted against you. Just look at what Romine wrote in those documents and how he turned some truly banal statements into what might, to an inexperienced observer, look condemning.

A viewer told me I was one of three of their favorite online productions dealing with lawsuits like this. It's getting really worrying for online content makers out there as frivolous claims get filed, stifle their ability to talk (or their "creativity" as Robert Romine would put it), and turn a legally protected job into a potentially deadly minefield.

Nabbis

The thing that horrifies me about this is the legal system. Costs a shitload of money and mental health to defend yourself over crap like this.

Theosmeo

Glad this is over, I prefer to get news from Jim. I'll watch this ep till i get bored tho, as I want to support him

Why does Jim get his own 'I was sued' threads?

Member of NeoGAF and a semi-prominent critical outlet within the video game medium. Seriously, when a game like Nioh comes out with an accolades trailer and Jim's site is one of the ones included, he's of at least some note. This lawsuit is also somewhat peculiar - being a relatively unknown bar infamy game dev trying to sue said critical outlet - and aside of being an entertaining farce, had it actually gone anywhere it could have had some odd implications for the industry.

L~A

And, in fact, I was never instructed by my lawyer to be as quiet as I was. It was more common sense and safety on my part.

I may make this its own article or something, but I am genuinely disturbed by this aspect of the case. Even if you're not specifically gagged, you don't want to talk for fear of saying anything that could be twisted against you. Just look at what Romine wrote in those documents and how he turned some truly banal statements into what might, to an inexperienced observer, look condemning.

A viewer told me I was one of three of their favorite online productions dealing with lawsuits like this. It's getting really worrying for online content makers out there as frivolous claims get filed, stifle their ability to talk (or their "creativity" as Robert Romine would put it), and turn a legally protected job into a potentially deadly minefield.

He may not have given instructions, but he really should have.

With any sort of legal case, it's better to leave most (if not all) communication to the lawyer, just to be on the safe side. Judicial system, like many others, can be an utter shit broken mess (and it's not just the US).

Obviously, I'm not giving lessons or anything, just commenting on that specific bit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Jim said that the document arrived in "March 2017". This is clearly a lie. Why is Jim lying? What is he hiding?

#DigitalHomicideDidNothingWrong

I'm kidding.

Taker34

Banned
On a more serious note - instead of cheering and celebrating this case we should point out the sheer inhuman and absolutely disgusting shit other Greenlight "developers" are willing to do to continue their shitty practices:
img_0927c3kji.png

Digital Homicide isn't the only bad apple out there. Not only Jim but folks like TotalBiscuit are doing a phenomenal job, calling out these little turds.

Given the current push to villify journalists in the US, I'd honestly expect shit like that to become common practice for all the shit peddlers to infringe on the free press, syndicated or independent.

It would be worth it to look into some legal expenses insurance (don't know if that's an option for you)

It must hurt Romine so much to go through all of his mad bullshit and really think he has a case against Sterling, only for it all to fall apart and be openly mocked for all his nonsense. I mean, I wonder at what point he realised the case wasn't going anywhere, he wouldn't get any money from Jim and he wouldn't even be able to gag Jim so he couldn't talk about it.

I hope his family doesn't suffer for his stupidity. The man needs psychological help to understand that if you are publishing or selling something publicly then any criticism is fair game.

You know he's watching this episode and he's probably in tears by the end.

Phu

Banned
On a more serious note - instead of cheering and celebrating this case we should point out the sheer inhuman and absolutely disgusting shit other Greenlight "developers" are willing to do to continue their shitty practices:
img_0927c3kji.png

Digital Homicide isn't the only bad apple out there. Not only Jim but folks like TotalBiscuit are doing a phenomenal job, calling out these little turds.

Ah yes, Jim Sterling, the posterboy for SJWness. I bet he's already drawing crude social justice penises for his next video.

Akai__

Fucking crazy. Thanks for the reply.

Chinner

Banned
God bless you Jim Sterling. I hope now that this is dead you can produce more boglin content, as i understand you are the number 1 boglin boy.

gossi

Just watched about half the video. This is amazing. I mean, to watch on YouTube, not to actually experience.

Any idiot with a lawyer is still an idiot.

RedZaraki

Banned
img_0927c3kji.png

Who the hell is this "tom pom" and where does he live?

Top Bottom