• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: When Jim Sterling Was Sued For $10 Million By Digital Homicide

foltzie1

The entire thing was insane, but this bit right here just left me speechless:

On September 25th 2015 the defendant tweeted: "According to the email, this ECC Games is pursuing legal action against Digital Homicide for using its name. Not enough popcorn on Earth."

I did tweet that, I'm not sure how that's libel. They seem to think it's because I'm getting enjoyment from the situation, which I was, because it was a fucking farce.

My lawyer countered this actually, by claiming that we can't prove whether or not there's enough popcorn on Earth.

Which we can't, I mean that's basically the allegation here, they're saying Jim said there's not enough popcorn on Earth, so we've fired back by saying: "Prove it."
Holy shit.

Sometimes when attorneys have fun, it is really snarky fun.

Cess007

The entire thing was insane, but this bit right here just left me speechless:

On September 25th 2015 the defendant tweeted: "According to the email, this ECC Games is pursuing legal action against Digital Homicide for using its name. Not enough popcorn on Earth."

I did tweet that, I'm not sure how that's libel. They seem to think it's because I'm getting enjoyment from the situation, which I was, because it was a fucking farce.

My lawyer countered this actually, by claiming that we can't prove whether or not there's enough popcorn on Earth.

Which we can't, I mean that's basically the allegation here, they're saying Jim said there's not enough popcorn on Earth, so we've fired back by saying: "Prove it."

Holy shit.

Fucking Fantastic lmao

Jim, was ownership of "Jim Fucking Sterling Son" ever discussed?
Early on they attempted to make some sort of argument concerning this. James felt entitled to money from the sale of shirts bearing the phrase as part of the settlement.

Naturally, I snapped back that if he wanted to have an IP battle, that would be an entirely different lawsuit.

My favorite comment:

Suck it Romaine you cunt. All you had to do is keep quiet and you'd still be making a nice income from your shitty games and Jim's review would have been forgotten in a couple of weeks.
But no...your ego wouldn't let you would it? You dumb fuck. Enjoy being the gaming worlds poster boy for The Streisand Effect you fucking rat.
So yeah, remember the thing you have to say next time you get a job - repeat after me "do you want fries with that?"

Lamptramp

Early on they attempted to make some sort of argument concerning this. James felt entitled to money from the sale of shirts bearing the phrase as part of the settlement.

Naturally, I snapped back that if he wanted to have an IP battle, that would be an entirely different lawsuit.

I knew there was something, curse this aged brain!

Sometimes when attorneys have fun, it is really snarky fun.
Can confirm. It's very much worth reading Brad Hartman's motions as they're laced with amazing quotes that school the arguments while maintaining perfect respect. He's worth his dollars.

You got problems in Arizona? There's your man.

Devil

I need to catch up on a few Jimquisitions and this seems like the perfect time to do so and also finally donate to his patreon.

I'm stopped at the description of the money claims because I still require oxygen to live.

'Including the nearly 1000 hours spent researching law'

His belief that a judge might unilaterally rule that everyone has to stop talking bad about him on Youtube....

No freaking way LOL!!

hughesta

Banned
Sorry you had to deal with all the bullshit Jim, thanks for providing great content for everyone
except Romaine

Bruh are you stupid?

No, he is the ultimate chessmaster and has being feigning stupidity all these years to catch us unaware when he takes over the world.

Problem is he'd have to also pay for that counter-suit.

According to Jim in the comments:

That's kind of a bummer. It's pretty depressing to think someone can sue so frivolously and make an economic, emotional and energetic dent on someone else with no repercusions.

Perona

Laughed so hard at the part about him sending back and signed edited document without saying that it was edited.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On a more serious note - instead of cheering and celebrating this case we should point out the sheer inhuman and absolutely disgusting shit other Greenlight "developers" are willing to do to continue their shitty practices:
img_0927c3kji.png

Digital Homicide isn't the only bad apple out there. Not only Jim but folks like TotalBiscuit are doing a phenomenal job, calling out these little turds.
This has gotta be one of those dipshits that post on Voat all day.

Harlock

The last H3H3 video show how this fuckin thing is hard. Youtube was not going to help in this kind of lawsuit?

Necron

Just saw it. Good lord, there's some really troubling people out there.

I somehow forgot that you never actually spoke with James Romine. I remember listening to the conversation and I always associated his voice with this tragedy, but that was Robert Romine (if I'm not mistaken). What a story...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wonderful episode

Glad Jim made it through all this. I knew Romine was an unhinged idiot but some of the stuff laid out in the video is astonishing, even given his previous bullshit.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear this has been sorted out properly. Should never have happened, but at least it ends well.

I'm speechless at the recording from that discussion though. "What if everybody stopped making games, eh Mr. Critic?! What would you do then?!"

Goodness. Some of Jim's reviews have been terrible over the years, but I don't know what he did to deserve this.

Really sad that our justice system charges people for defending against baseless lawsuits, in a perfect world the accuser would've had to pay up for wasting everyone's time.

Glad that mess is behind you now.

I had to stop after 12 minutes because the cringe was too damn strong. Its unbelievable what you had to go through Jim I'll try and watch the rest this evening might need to buy some booze first, and I don't drink alcohol.

"I've never actually spoken to James Romine..."

Wait... how do we know that this doesn't go a layer deeper, and James is actually Robert's alter ego?

"Tom Pom" is back in the comments with more delightful gems. I don't want to copy and paste that sort of stuff on NeoGAF but it's still up if anyone wants to check it out.

Veelk

Banned
This isn't talked about as much since it was only mentioned in passing, but at the final stage of their case, they penned an agreement to end/dismiss the case and apparently Romaine took it, edited something about it, then sent it back in hopes that Jim would sign it without looking at it.

Um...isn't that in itself also illegal? I honestly don't know, but it feels like it should be.

MadMod

I'm surprised this went on as long as it did, I would have expected it to be thrown out within a month. Well glad its over for Jim anyhow. Hope its a lesson for all, I just wish there was a negative at the end for DH (monetary).

It's too late, but honestly I think he should take the video down.

Not because Sterling hasn't gone through hell and back with this lawsuit. I recognize that and can't imagine how stressful it must have been. And don't get me wrong, Romine abused the law and deserved to lose. But I think humiliating someone like Romine is in no one's best interest.

He's a disturbed guy. A disturbed guy who's lost everything and is now being publicly humiliated again. As sweet as it is, sometimes you've just gotta be the bigger person and move on. Sterling says he's doing that in his video. He's not. Basically he's created a 38 minute public tea bagging that will live on in Youtube in perpetuity.

And honestly it's not even the real story here. What Sterling helped expose goes way beyond Romine. This case brought attention to major flaws in the Steam Greenlight system that eventually led to the shuttering of the service. And Sterling started some of his own initiatives that have done a whole lot of good for content creators and game consumers. All of that is awesome and what we need to be talking about.

WormBoi

Banned
Really glad Jim came out on top and hope this sends a message to awful people that try to justify putting out garbage games.

Gxgear

This is so delicious, I wish Sterling would edit the whole digital suicide saga into one video.

Can't imagine the billable hours though.

Buckle

Christ, this is all just so nuts.

This is a guy thats clearly not used to being called out on his actions. The fact that he wanted to confront you using his brother as a proxy was weird enough.

Kirye

Not because Sterling hasn't gone through hell and back with this lawsuit. I recognize that and can't imagine how stressful it must have been. And don't get me wrong, Romine abused the law and deserved to lose. But I think humiliating someone like Romine is in no one's best interest.

He's a disturbed guy. A disturbed guy who's lost everything and is now being publicly humiliated again. As sweet as it is, sometimes you've just gotta be the bigger person and move on. Sterling says he's doing that in his video. He's not. Basically he's created a 38 minute public tea bagging that will live on in Youtube in perpetuity.

And honestly it's not even the real story here. What Sterling helped expose goes way beyond Romine. This case brought attention to major flaws in the Steam Greenlight system that eventually led to the shuttering of the service. And Sterling started some of his own initiatives that have done a whole lot of good for content creators and game consumers. All of that is awesome and what we need to be talking about.

I dunno, I feel like Jim kind of deserves this victory. For a man who has prided himself on speaking of all the bullshit the gaming industry has brought forward, being gagged by a lawsuit is probably the worst possible thing that could have happened to him.

I don't feel like this video was made to humiliate James Romine, but rather so Jim can finally speak freely of one of the worst things that I assume has happened to him in recent years. If he wanted to humiliate him he would have counter sued and destroyed his life.

Thank God for Jim Fucking Sterling Son.

I kinda see where you're coming from, because I do, to some extent, feel bad for the guy (or at least his family who got dragged into this), but he started it by making it personal and insulting Jim. I feel bad that he lost his business (because, again, it doesn't just affect him, but his innocent family too), but it's entirely his fault. He had many, many chances to stop this idiocy and he kept doubling down every step of the way.

I guess you're right that humiliating him helps no one, but he kind of deserves it.

I kinda see where you're coming from, because I do, to some extent, feel bad for the guy (or at least his family who got dragged into this), but he started it by making it personal and insulting Jim. I feel bad that he lost his business (because, again, it doesn't just affect him, but his innocent family too), but it's entirely his fault. He had many, many chances to stop this idiocy and he kept doubling down every step of the way.

I guess you're right that humiliating him helps no one, but he kind of deserves it.

I don't feel bad for the guy. Let me make that clear. He made his own bed and now he's lying in it. But that happened without this latest video.

I guess I'm just saying you need to be really careful about how you deal with desperate people.

Top Bottom