• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Press Preview | New Footage

Lol he complained about disappearing bodies " Come on, we got 8gb of memory to work with" haha. The game actually looks fun.

Some really dumb commentary on this video.

"I mean come on with have 8gb of reaaaamm, leave the corpses on the floor" I think it's more of a design choice than system memory limitations.

IGN's player is such junk. We should start a kickstarter here to start getting more funds to Gamersyde...they are the only decent video streaming and footage site out there...

meppi

Based on reactions in this thread, reviews might be polarizing. I'm excited for it and think the whole game looks fun and loads different than most other games coming out at launch for either system.

I think it might have more to do with next gen hype than anything, which is understandable.
But I think a lot of people are going to end up disappointed with it not so long afterwards.
I would love a good platformer on PS4 myself, but sadly this doesn't seem to be it. Not anywhere close.

Loudninja

I think it might have more to do with next gen hype than anything, which is understandable.
But I think a lot of people are going to end up disappointed with it not so long afterwards.
I would love a good platformer on PS4 myself, but sadly this doesn't seem to be it. Not anywhere close.
Ah speak for yourself.

daripad

Doesn't look as fun as I imagined it would be. I hope Knack has more combos because there doesn't seem to be enough variety of moves considering this game is combat focused.

Is there going to be a demo for this at launch?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Old school gamers will love this.
I'm an "old school gamer" and this looks like exactly the type of modern action platformer I hate. It's unfortunate, this was probably the most interesting thing to me they showed in the initial PS4 reveal. But the gameplay looks pretty boring from these videos, everything seems slow and floaty. And oh my god the art design for this game is wretched. It looks like the bottom of the DreamWorks barrel.

Well, that is liekly to be the case with quite a few of the launch games on both systems. Frankly of the big games, I think only KZ and Forza are probably going to be ace.

Goku

Banned
I don't know how to describe it, but this game looks like it's trying to copy the succes of a succesful platformer and in the process it's become soulless. Just like the countless of movie ripoffs of originals that had no soul. I'm not saying this game is ripping another platformers off, it just has that soulless vibe and the bland character designs.

In my opinion oufcorse.

Cdammen

That... felt disappointing. It's a brawler? I thought it was a platform game? It looks pretty bland, both in gameplay and the visual department (not technically, artistically). But it has co-op so I might just buy it for that alone once it drops slightly in price.

I'll reserve my final judgement until I've played some of it, but that video didn't do a thing for me.

HooYaH

I'm an "old school gamer" and this looks like exactly the type of modern action platformer I hate. It's unfortunate, this was probably the most interesting thing to me they showed in the initial PS4 reveal. But the gameplay looks pretty boring from these videos, everything seems slow and floaty. And oh my god the art design for this game is wretched. It looks like the bottom of the DreamWorks barrel.

Yep, this is not even old school. This is a kiddie God of War plus the ability to do a Sonic Jump Spin attack.

I'm very excited about this game. It doesn't hurt that I am getting it for free, but I've been excited about it for quite some time. So far, it looks to live up to my expectations.

*Finally a game that isn't a grim M-rated shooter, what a palate cleanser*
*We have the gigabytes, why can't we tread on corpses?*

Admittedly the game looks a bit unambitious. It's like the result of a game making tutorial, focused entirely on the mechanics of creating a game and not on the pleasure derived from playing it. Rather like that game autodesk made to show off maya LT or whatever it's called. Nevertheless it's only fair to reserve one's judgement until one has played the game.

sn00zer

Absolutely hilarious that he thinks the corpse thing is a technical issue and not the fact that its a kids game and corpses remaining is an ESRB issue that is specifically stated

daveo42

Banned

Is that based on what you've seen of the gameplay or have you actually had a chance to play it? Honest question. I have yet to play it, but I've liked everything I've seen so far and there is probably a good deal of stuff we haven't been shown.

I want to like it, but I don't think anything is going to convince me this game is worth playing until the reviews roll in. All I know is, I expect something from a man of Cerny's calibre to look better than... this.

Shinta

Banned
Hard to be hyped about this kind of platformer when Sonic Lost World and Mario 3D World are just around the corner.

I'm not seeing any actual platforming ... in any of the footage so far. It's not even that the camera is fixed, it's that you look like you basically just walk around linear paths and don't even really jump much.

So that leaves the combat as the primary draw for the game. The combat just doesn't look that great. Simple single button combos, a dodge, and a couple jump attacks at best.

I want to like this game, but it's just not showing me anything to be super excited about yet. I'll probably enjoy a playthrough when it's on PS+, eventually.

I-hate-u

I don't normally like complaining like this, but I found the commentary for both this video and the other Killzone ign to be annoying As hell.

Graphically this looks very nice, but I still have no interest in buying this despite being 100% on board with the PS4, at least not until it hits $30.

KHlover

Banned
2:30 The city looks...bland. Jungle environment and the cave look better. The characters look awesome, but I don't really feel the artstyle of the environment :(

Hydrargyrus

It looks very well in this video. I don't know if it is a improved version or the showed parts are funnier than the showed ones before, but the game looks a lot more interesting now

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Less commentary from people who aren't really interested in the game in the first place and more gifs for those of us who can't access the video while at work :p

Milennia

I really hope the rest of the game is harder than the ps4 kiosk demo on hard, that was a joke for me, the enemy patterns were obvious and everything was just easy to avoid.

It was a 3 section demo, some of the gameplay from it is in this video even. Same as the e3 demo i believe.

ScOULaris

It also looks pretty terrible gameplay wise.

Yeah. Every video I've seen looks boring and tired as hell in the gameplay department, and playing the demo recently at a Sony store did nothing to change that perception.

Knack is ugly and the gameplay feels archaic and overly simple. I'll pass.

Lol he complained about disappearing bodies " Come on, we got 8gb of memory to work with" haha. The game actually looks fun.

so. fucking. stupid.

ps1 to ps2, bodies still disappeared. ps2 to ps3, bodies still disappeared. despite jumps in memory size and bandwidth.

Snaku

Banned
If this was released two or three years into the PS4s life cycle this wouldn't even be on gafs radar, that's how barren the PS4 launch window is.

I really hope the rest of the game is harder than the ps4 kiosk demo on hard, that was a joke for me, the enemy patterns were obvious and everything was just easy to avoid.

It was a 3 section demo, some of the gameplay from it is in this video even. Same as the e3 demo i believe.

there is a difficulty above hard. one-hit death for knack, EmptySpace thinks.

prwxv3

Wow this game is going to be polarizing based on this thread. The game definantly looks harder then it seems. regular enmities can wreck you.

Really like the looks of this. . . only thing that worries me is some of the impressions noting how hard it is. I'd rather it be a fun breezy experience, but so long as it's challenging as opposed to frustrating I'm still game.

How on earth can this "reviewer" play Knack for more than 5 minutes and say that this is a PLATFORMER game when it's ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS IS A BEAT EM UP.

A fairly simple (in terms of gameplay depth) beat em up, but still a beat em up.

That being said, I can't see anything about this game besides being graphically superior to anything on past consoles that could impress anyone.
An ultra-simplistic level design with minor "puzzles" like pressing a switch to open a door or detach all the non-transparent pieces in order to pass through the lasers (I see that a way of preventing the player of powering up too much more than a puzzle introduced to add variety to de gameplay).

It seems that this will be a generic game in every single aspect I can think of.

Shinta

Banned
How on earth can this "reviewer" play Knack for more than 5 minutes and say that this is a PLATFORMER game when it's ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS IS A BEAT EM UP.
I am still waiting to see any platforming. I haven't even seen platforms yet. I've just seen him running down paths, and fighting in open areas.

Anyone that played it, is the game even a platformer? Sure doesn't look like one.

I couldn't disagree more. It will take on Kameo status. Mostly ignored at launch but will find a strong fanbase when it drops in price...

Top Bottom