• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Press Preview | New Footage

Doran902

I think if Knack had a better character design I would be more into this game. Everything looks good to me but the main character.

Will probly get this, killzone and black flag.

Matchew

I think it looks decent but for some reason I can see this game being free on playstation plus 6 months down the road. The evil of PS+ I guess.

dreamfall

His complaints are so ridiculous- "We can afford to leave the corpses of the badguys on the ground until we leave the scene, RIGHT?"

What kind of bullshit is this? Some personal preference of how it's supposed to play? It seems as though the enemies dissolve to add pieces so Knack can get bigger/stronger. If that was a design choice, it doesn't seem like much of a valid criticism. The fixed camera issue I can definitely agree with (and this could get troublesome if done incorrectly) BUT LET THE BODIES STAY just seems so nitpicky and strange.

How on earth can this "reviewer" play Knack for more than 5 minutes and say that this is a PLATFORMER game when it's ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS IS A BEAT EM UP.

A fairly simple (in terms of gameplay depth) beat em up, but still a beat em up.

That being said, I can't see anything about this game besides being graphically superior to anything on past consoles that could impress anyone.
An ultra-simplistic level design with minor "puzzles" like pressing a switch to open a door or detach all the non-transparent pieces in order to pass through the lasers (I see that a way of preventing the player of powering up too much more than a puzzle introduced to add variety to de gameplay).

It seems that this will be a generic game in every single aspect I can think of.

kinda like how freezamite watched a 5-min video and deduced it as beat-em-up?

ign person says it's an action-platformer.

Wait...

Did the previewer really complain that there weren't enough dead corpses left lying around in Knack--a game clearly meant for a wide-ranging audience, including small children?

SMH.

Sometimes one should think just a tiny bit before sounding really stupid.

Does this guy also complain that we don't see the thousands of corpses Mario leaves in his wake? What's his next complaint going to be when he has to preview one of those titles next? "For a next-gen Mario, I would expect to see the turtles entrails and blood shoot out all over the screen when Mario squishes them..."

meppi

Is that based on what you've seen of the gameplay or have you actually had a chance to play it? Honest question. I have yet to play it, but I've liked everything I've seen so far and there is probably a good deal of stuff we haven't been shown.

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've watched just about every video I could get my hands on in the hope that my opinion of it would change.
The more I've seen, the more sceptical I've become.
This isn't my first rodeo, and I have fallen into the launch hype that a couple of times myself. (Hello Street Fighter the Movie, for instance. Lol) ;)
I could get past the character design even though I find it rather dull, but there's very little else in any of the footage that appeals to me.
Combat seems boring and unimaginative. The levels seem very sparse and without any kind of interesting design whatsoever. As for actual platforming, well...
And seeing as how it's a fixed camera game on top of all this, I just don't know.

jwk94

Wait...

Did the previewer really complain that there weren't enough dead corpses left lying around in Knack--a game clearly meant for a wide-ranging audience, including small children?

SMH.

Does this guy also complain that we don't see the thousands of corpses Mario leaves in his wake? What's his next complaint going to be when he has to preview one of those titles next? "For a next-gen Mario, I would expect to see the turtles entrails and blood shoot out all over the screen when Mario squishes them..."

That's not what he said at all.

alterno69

Banned
Wait...

SMH.

Exactly, the game is meant for kids

KoopaTheCasual

Got to try it out on hard mode the other day. Game is definitely not forgiving, and yea you can't stress how it's "not as easy as it looks". Not a day one purchase, but it's one of those titles that you can play over without really getting tired of the colors and lighthearted nature of it. Also good for the kids, i guess. It'll do fine, saleswise. However, I have no idea how it'll do review wise. It'll be ripped apart at worst, and averagely received at best.

If this was released two or three years into the PS4s life cycle this wouldn't even be on gafs radar, that's how barren the PS4 launch window is.
image.php

Burt

Funny how a lot of people don't seem to like the human models but are fine with Knack. I'm the other way around. Really like the Pixary humans, but Knack himself is kinda... bleh. Reminds me of the days before shooters took over the market from 3D platformers and we had a million different mascots trying to match up with Mario, Sonic, and Banjo.

The game does look good though, in terms of both graphics and gameplay. It seems to have some minor clipping issues (especially when Knack gets big and starts punching), but that's not something I sweat too much over. It would be pretty cool if they could fix it by having the pieces that make up his hands actually disperse and deform on contact with an enemy.

I'm glad to hear that it's much harder than people assume, too. Just hope it has some incentive for replayability, whether it comes from unlocking new difficulties, different modes, some type of scoring system, or a degree of branching pathways in its levels.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This could be Sony's Kirby version of God of War. Maybe it will find an audience, but gameplay wise it looks too much like a PS One game to me, despite the PS4 realization.

Wait...

SMH.

That's not what he said at all.

Uh...that's pretty much EXACTLY what he said.

The only other thing that annoyed me was seeing dead bodies immediately vaporize away clearing them from system memory. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed for the final version, because, come on, we've got EIGHT GIGABYTES of RAM to work with on the PS4...we can afford to leave the corpses of the bad guys on the ground until we leave the scene, right?

(3:02 Mark)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's actually not looking half bad now. Much smoother performance for sure.

The commentary is a bit odd, though, with the gameplay comparisons to Mario, Sonic and Crash kind of not making any sense as this game really shares little with those titles.

I wish this was more of a platformer than a beat 'em up but I'm hoping the word of mouth is good after release so I can pick it up.

Also, the enemies disappearing is definitely jarring. If they don't want a bunch of dead bodies lying around you can make them mechanical like Ratchet and Clank and they explode into nuts and bolts (could drop extra pieces to make Knack bigger) or you knock them out instead of killing them and leave the enemies with MGS style stars (or cartoon birds or whatever) over their head. Enemies evaporating into nothing just looks bad.

exostar

Neo Member
I've always been excited for Knack. I think it will be the "sleeper" hit for the PS4 and will definitely have a sequel later down the line.

Right, but the way you put made it seem like there are going to be loads of dead bodies when in reality, there won't. Why have them disappear almost immediately?

Huh? I never said there would be "loads of dead bodies." I don't know where you got that from. Probably from the same place that thought "that's not what he said at all," when he said exactly that.

But to answer your question: Because dead bodies aren't FUN for kids.

Fuck...dude. I don't know why you are being such an apologist for this guy and his stupid statement.

Look at the long LONG-ASS history of popular Kid-friendly rated platformers...look at all the best ones from the history of the genre. Do any of them feature corpses lying around?

Fuck no.

And it's not for some technical reason, it's because it DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE when you are trying to make a game that kids will play and that you want parents to be comfortable purchasing for their kids (because kids don't generally have $60 lying around.) Nobody likes "corpses" lying around. That's why in the fucking A-Team TV show back in the day, they could shoot down an aircraft full of baddies, it could go behind a hill and EXPLODE, and in the next scene, you'd see the bad guys crawl out from the wreckage. It's why in the Dudes of Hazzard, the Sheriff never died in one of those horrific car crashes.

SuperPac

Already preordered digitally.

Yeah I don't see much "platforming" to this other than jumping over cars/obstacles that are also on solid ground/structures. Definitely more of a beat-em-up a la Kameo's stages.

kinda like how freezamite watched a 5-min video and deduced it as beat-em-up?

ign person says it's an action-platformer.

I think we've yet to see any platforming at all.

Also what happened to EmptySpace speaking in the third person? It was annoying as hell, I hope EmptySpace has finally decided to stop for good.

B.O.O.M

Right, but the way you put made it seem like there are going to be loads of dead bodies when in reality, there won't. Why have them disappear almost immediately?

It's aimed at all audiences including kids. I don't want dead bodies around for my nieces to see for example.

sunnz

How quickly stuff disappears ( enemies, enemies attacks, the bits that fall off knack etc...) is just kinda ridiculous. Way too quick and something they should have focused on, instantly noticed it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think we've yet to see any platforming at all.

Also what happened to EmptySpace speaking in the third person? It was annoying as hell, I hope EmptySpace has finally decided to stop for good.
Oh, there's definitely some platforming. The Gamescom demo had a whole section that was loaded with it (conveyor belts, spikes, and lots of jumping). It definitely isn't the primary focus, however.

How quickly stuff disappears ( enemies, enemies attacks, the bits that fall off knack etc...) is just kinda ridiculous. Way too quick and something they should have focused on, instantly noticed it.

It's the lack of any effect for it that makes it stick out for me. They just blink out of existence almost as soon as they hit the floor. If they did dissolve, or break into smaller rubble that faded away, or whatever, it wouldn't bother me that they didn't 'pile up' as it were.

Still, it's not a big issue. I have my preorder fully paid off, and overall this video makes me feel more optimistic, rather than less.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Anyone else getting a decidedly "dreamworks" vibe from this game? Just looks super generic, devoid of any character. Obviously I haven't played it, but that's the impression I get from watching gameplay videos.

This was my first game for the PS4 ... But have AC and Killzone. So it will be my change of pace game. But I think the game is going to be grand...

Alx

With the parts where he dodges attacks from different bosses, it's the first time I've felt that I may want to play the game. I'm still not really convinced by the game, especially not Knack's design (not cute at all, and ugly voice... they should have made him speak gibberish, or with an artificial voice), but it's getting better.

Loudninja

It's the lack of any effect for it that makes it stick out for me. They just blink out of existence almost as soon as they hit the floor. If they did dissolve, or break into smaller rubble that faded away, or whatever, it wouldn't bother me that they didn't 'pile up' as it were.

Still, it's not a big issue. I have my preorder fully paid off, and overall this video makes me feel more optimistic, rather than less.
Humans dissapear in like a blue mist and robots explode into pieces
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_knack_tgs_showfloor_gameplay-30847_en.html

alterno69

Banned
I have to say graphically it looks good, like a next gen version of what you might see in games like Skylanders, the urban areas look to sterile tho.

Might get it if it reviews decently to play with my son.

RulkezX

I like it more and more every time I have seen it.

I haven't got it ordered for launch but will certainly pick it up before/for Christmas.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's OK for them to see you kill enemies but not see your handiwork laying around? Mehhhh.
I'm assuming this is at least half-joking, but that's a fair debate we could have if we weren't suddenly focusing on Knack as if it were the only culprit. I personally just don't get why this criticism comes to the fore with this game vs any other of hundreds of family-friendly games that have done exactly the same thing over the years and will continue to do so.

KORNdoggy

There are moments where it looks almost CGi. Especially when knack is made if glass. But i'm just not feeling it. I have a feeling this will be freebie on PS+ pretty soon after launch too, which isn't helping things.

UNCMark

Banned
I'm assuming this is at least half-joking, but that's a fair debate we could have if we weren't suddenly focusing on Knack as if it were the only culprit. I personally just don't get why this criticism comes to the fore with this game vs any other of hundreds of family-friendly games that have done exactly the same thing over the years and will continue to do so.

Lots more ram brings with it higher expectations I guess. I look forward to Bethesda's next Fallout or ES game. There's gonna be shit lying around everywhere.

StuBurns

Banned
Looks horrible, very pleased there will be a demo, if it's really great, I'll buy it.

The voice over dude was irritating as hell.

Top Bottom