• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Press Preview | New Footage

I think I may pick this up alongside Battlefield and Killzone. It will add a bit of variety and mean I'm not just playing FPS games at launch.

I'm also just a bit partial to owning the first game ever shown running on PS4 - seems so long ago now that Feb 20th reveal.

Oh and I have a weird habit of collecting Sony First Party titles, outside of Sports and Move titles.

cartoon.jpg

Nothing will ever quite top this steaming pile for that title. Ever.

Bubsy was a great game. Love getting all that yarn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game looks fun in the IGN video. Not something I'd pay $60 for but it seems like it'll be worth a play through down the line.

I hope reviewers would point out the difficulty differences since it's the only one that utilizes that feature to split the "core" and "beginner" gamers. I would hate it if they overlook this particular feature and give us the impression of "easy" and then proceeds to falsely accuse the game for not living up to the original crash difficulty levels. If any reviewer is reading this now, please take note.

Do people seriously think that leaving dead enemies' bodies is a good idea in a game like this? It's a game which will largely appeal to kids, not having dead bodies is a design decision which makes sense for kids games. Its not like the technology isn't capable of it.

urge26

knack kinda looks great..... already preordered BF4 and Killzone, so Cerny is right, day 2 purchase maybe. Brought me back to my first 360 purchases of COD2, PGR3, and Kameo.... thinking I may pull Kameo out again to finish this gen out.

chadboban

Do people seriously think that leaving dead enemies' bodies is a good idea in a game like this? It's a game which will largely appeal to kids, not having dead bodies is a design decision which makes sense for kids games. Its not like the technology isn't capable of it.

I think they could've at least added an effect when they disappear. I don't mind that the bodies don't stay but the way they just vanish is kind jarring. Would've been a nice opportunity to show off some neat particle effects or something.

jett

D-Member
The game itself looks neat in an old school kind of way. It reminds me of something like Maximo on the PS2.

What a huge potential wasted...I thought with the power of the PS4 they would have made a adventure game where you can run around in a big world like Mario 64. but thats just a game where you go from a to b and you have to defeat the enemies in between. :/

Hyunashi

Part of me wants to wait till this is obviously going to be free for PS+ users down the line, and another part just wants to support SCE Japan Studios in their endeavors with games like this and Puppeteer.

This is exactly me too. I really wanna support them, but this is obviously coming to instant game collection at some point. Ill wait for the reviews and make a decision then I guess :/

Skeff

This is exactly me too. I really wanna support them, but this is obviously coming to instant game collection at some point. Ill wait for the reviews and make a decision then I guess :/

I think I'm spoiled with puppeteer, tearaway and R+C all being cheaper RRP that I Don't think I can pay £50 for this, when that's enough to buy Puppeteer and tearaway.

jgmo870

Banned
What a huge potential wasted...I thought with the power of the PS4 they would have made a adventure game where you can run around in a big world like Mario 64. but thats just a game where you go from a to b and you have to defeat the enemies in between. :/

Crash was a linear series and action games are linear. It's not a huge potential wasted (at least not the way you say it is), it's you misunderstanding what they were making.

LeBoef

Crash was a linear series and action games are linear. It's not a huge potential wasted (at least not the way you say it is), it's you misunderstanding what they were making.

tumblr_muuhgb5q4X1sipysdo1_500.gif

knack is the biggest boring shit i have seen in a long time. and yes i have seen it in real life. but yeah, maybe its just me and i am to blind to see...

Loudninja

Its a launch title,why is that so hard to understand?

Power has nothing to do with this.

Hermii

Why does everyone insist on calling this a platformer? I havent seen any platforming gameplay yet. It look more like a beat em up to me.

Apparently the game is ridiculously long. If they can keep it nice and varied I'll forgive the somewhat lacking level design for such a comprehensive game

Apparently the game is ridiculously long. If they can keep it nice and varied I'll forgive the somewhat lacking level design for such a comprehensive game

Now when you say ridiculously long...do you mean ridiculously long for the genre it's in or just ridiculously long in general?

Good news either way.

Log4Girlz

Game looks ok graphically. The gameplay looks clunky, awkward and not much fun. Fixed cameras, and narrow corridors galore.

Now when you say ridiculously long...do you mean ridiculously long for the genre it's in or just ridiculously long in general?

Good news either way.

the impression I got is there are quite a bit of post game content for it, not only the main story campaign is apparently pretty long, there will also be over 200 secret room where you can get Knack parts, if you get a set of specific Knack parts, it unlocks new version of Knacks with it's own skill and trait, for example, Vampire Knack that give you hp when you beat enemy, but constantly drain your hp in general, so it'll change up your playstyle somewhat.

LeBoef

Were you a big Crash fan back in the day? I can understand you not liking it if you weren't...

i wanted to answer that i never played a crash game. but just checked that and realized i played one on the original xbox. as far as i can remember i liked it back then but was not a big fan. (hard to remember, but i was pc player back then and played only occasionally on the xbox)

are you sure about comparing these two games? i know the press and cerny are referring to it. but knack somehow has no elevation in its levels and that static camera is all i have seen so far. i am missing some dynamic stuff which crash had afaik back in the day

you - or maybe its just me - would expect a genre to evolve. but even if you keep it traditional on purpose, you re able to make design choices which doesnt make the game boring. got no tension at all.

Im hoping its less platforming and more action, but keeps its simplicity and focuses on dodging/learning patterns on harder difficulties. Heh I see people are hoping for some 3d platformer type thing and here I am wishing for a character action-lite with glorious fixed camera angles.

Loudninja

the impression I got is there are quite a bit of post game content for it, not only the main story campaign is apparently pretty long, there will also be over 200 secret room where you can get Knack parts, if you get a set of specific Knack parts, it unlocks new version of Knacks with it's own skill and trait, for example, Vampire Knack that give you hp when you beat enemy, but constantly drain your hp in general, so it'll change up your playstyle somewhat.
I think Vampire Knack is for new plus,

Also the game has 100 enemy types.

gruenel

Not thread worthy IMO, but there's a new article on Forbes:

'Knack' Edges PlayStation 4 Ahead Of Xbox One For Family Gamers

Spending time with Knack on the PS4 I have been more than a little impressed by the top notch quality of game-play mechanics, story telling and Pixar-like presentation. To have a game like this as a launch title is more than a little surprising.

Like the little robot himself, it’s a game easily overlooked but seen in context punches well above its weight as the two new platforms fight it out this holiday season.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrob...ly/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Ricky_R

Watched the preview and noticed that Knack gets somewhat slow when he's bigger. Might be an annoyance at times considering you can move faster in other instances.

Just a small nitpick.

suedester

Banned
Watched the preview and noticed that Knack gets somewhat slow when he's bigger. Might be an annoyance at times considering you can move faster in other instances.

Just a small nitpick.

Isn't that just another game play mechanic. Makes sense that the bigger he is the slower he moves.

These previews are really positive. I think GAF will be surprised at some of the review scores this is going to receive. I may well pick it up closer to Christmas.

Ricky_R

Isn't that just another game play mechanic. Makes sense that the bigger he is the slower he moves.

These previews are really positive. I think GAF will be surprised at some of the review scores this is going to receive. I may well pick it up closer to Christmas.

It's definitely a mechanic added as a trade-off for when you're stronger, but I think it will be a bit annoying when trying to attack. Nothing game breaking for me at all though.

Will know how it pans out eventually.

Based on the fixed camera and action brawler combat, it seems to play mostly like God of War minus the QTEs. I noticed Knack's dodge is pretty fast and side-steppy, and it definitely has iframes if you like dodging through boss attacks and staying close. It reminds me a bit of how Lann plays in Vindictus.

I think it looks promising and we'll find out more of the combat depth (different attacks, special abilities, combos, etc.) once the game is released. There's supposed to be a difficulty above hard mode.

Obviously it's no Bayo or NG, but it looks fun and well designed imo.

Despite all the skepticism I've had of this game I actually feel like I watch this and it looks like an extremely entertaining action game. Maybe without the traditional depth in combos, but the way responsive dodging is needed, a low health system and a wide variety of enemy types reminds me of some of the better action games out there.

Top Bottom