• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Press Preview | New Footage

daveo42

Banned
i wanted to answer that i never played a crash game. but just checked that and realized i played one on the original xbox. as far as i can remember i liked it back then but was not a big fan. (hard to remember, but i was pc player back then and played only occasionally on the xbox)

are you sure about comparing these two games? i know the press and cerny are referring to it. but knack somehow has no elevation in its levels and that static camera is all i have seen so far. i am missing some dynamic stuff which crash had afaik back in the day

you - or maybe its just me - would expect a genre to evolve. but even if you keep it traditional on purpose, you re able to make design choices which doesnt make the game boring. got no tension at all.

I'm sorry, that's not really a crash game. Just a shell of it's former glory. The original 3 games that released on the Playstation were all fantastic in a lot of ways. They were fairly linear, but the level design, variety, style, and challenge were really up there. It's a shame that Activision owns the rights to the franchise now and not Sony or ND.

Based on what I've seen and what's been shown to the press, I think we have only seen a small piece of the game. At most, we have seen portions of four different levels with Knack at varying sizes and made of different elements. Estimates on play length suggest that we've seen a sliver of what is really there.

Who knows, it might be a terrible game or won't live up to whatever hype might be built around it, but I'm interested enough by the prospect that this will have the same feel as older platformers of days far gone (based on what Cerny has said about the game) that I'm willing to give it a shot at launch.

gunstarhero

I really hope a lot of people can get past the "kiddie" visuals - the game is actually really fun and challenging (based on the E3 demo I played).

There was one instance in the demo where the fixed camera angle bothered me, but the game was so fun I easily forgot about it.

PaulloDEC

ijl7OqOmYV7vF.gif

ib07rTOH4Qjkg1.gif

iiiChAJZ8VpTH.gif

I've yet to see any footage of Knack that I didn't love. Can't wait.

As I have a 3 year old daughter around all the time, I think this will be one of my 2 actual purchases at first for the PS4. I have to get Killzone, just have to, as I want to support sony first party teams with my $$$, and Knack looks enjoyable and safe for my child when she is around.

Res0gun will get a ton of playtime as well.

I really hope a lot of people can get past the "kiddie" visuals - the game is actually really fun and challenging (based on the E3 demo I played).

There was one instance in the demo where the fixed camera angle bothered me, but the game was so fun I easily forgot about it.

I do get the feeling this is going to be a game that wins a lot of people over once you start playing it. Cautiously optimistic

I really need to play a demo for this. Maybe they'll have one of those 1-hour trials on PSN.

If not, I'm waiting on it to be a PS+ freebie.

the impression I got is there are quite a bit of post game content for it, not only the main story campaign is apparently pretty long, there will also be over 200 secret room where you can get Knack parts, if you get a set of specific Knack parts, it unlocks new version of Knacks with it's own skill and trait, for example, Vampire Knack that give you hp when you beat enemy, but constantly drain your hp in general, so it'll change up your playstyle somewhat.

Damn, that sounds fantastic. I loved searching through each level of Puppeteer for the hidden heads and bonus rooms, this sounds even better...

i wanted to answer that i never played a crash game. but just checked that and realized i played one on the original xbox. as far as i can remember i liked it back then but was not a big fan. (hard to remember, but i was pc player back then and played only occasionally on the xbox)

are you sure about comparing these two games? i know the press and cerny are referring to it. but knack somehow has no elevation in its levels and that static camera is all i have seen so far. i am missing some dynamic stuff which crash had afaik back in the day

you - or maybe its just me - would expect a genre to evolve. but even if you keep it traditional on purpose, you re able to make design choices which doesnt make the game boring. got no tension at all.

That wasn't a good Crash game and it's certainly not one you should base your opinion of what this game will be like on.

If possible, I really do recommend buying the PS1 Crash games on PS3. They are some of the best platformers you'll play. You'll want to check out Crash 1, 2 and 3. Incredible games for their time and still hold up relatively well even today. That's not to say you won't notice some issues (there are many), but the gameplay is just so good.

ijl7OqOmYV7vF.gif

ib07rTOH4Qjkg1.gif

iiiChAJZ8VpTH.gif

I've yet to see any footage of Knack that I didn't love. Can't wait.

u2hbSf6.gif

second gif is just....wow.

Mifune

Mehmber
Game looks fun. Not sure I'll pick it up at launch though. Seems like it could be a PS+ freebie next year sometime.

Surprisingly enough, it's doing quite well on Amazon's sales charts. I'm pulling for it to be a small hit.

The falling apart when hit is a good idea.

Otherwise not seeing the next geness. Suppose if I looked close at the component parts of Knack it might be apparent.

LeBoef

I'm sorry, that's not really a crash game. Just a shell of it's former glory. The original 3 games that released on the Playstation were all fantastic in a lot of ways. They were fairly linear, but the level design, variety, style, and challenge were really up there. It's a shame that Activision owns the rights to the franchise now and not Sony or ND.

Based on what I've seen and what's been shown to the press, I think we have only seen a small piece of the game. At most, we have seen portions of four different levels with Knack at varying sizes and made of different elements. Estimates on play length suggest that we've seen a sliver of what is really there.

Who knows, it might be a terrible game or won't live up to whatever hype might be built around it, but I'm interested enough by the prospect that this will have the same feel as older platformers of days far gone (based on what Cerny has said about the game) that I'm willing to give it a shot at launch.

yeah, i cant judge about crash since the xbox one is the only one i played.
regarding the bolded part: of course that is possible. i am just talking about the parts of knack i played and have seen. sure, there can (and will) be more when it is released.

but the stuff for now isnt touching me in a good way.

note: i really like how the cutscenes look but sadly they dont pass with that style into the game. somehow its a great opportunity missed. maybe knack2 will go that way. more time, more knowledge.

BPoole

I'm not seeing much platforming in this action "platformer". It looks more like a kid's COW game, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not what I was hoping for. I havve this pre ordered, but I'll probably just switch it over to Killzone

hawk2025

This game has been slowly but surely looking better, and better, and better for me.

After playing the E3 demo at the Sony store, I'm completely sold. It's a nice, fun, solid challenge, and I can't wait to see all the environments.

Based on the fixed camera and action brawler combat, it seems to play mostly like God of War minus the QTEs. I noticed Knack's dodge is pretty fast and side-steppy, and it definitely has iframes if you like dodging through boss attacks and staying close. It reminds me a bit of how Lann plays in Vindictus.

I think it looks promising and we'll find out more of the combat depth (different attacks, special abilities, combos, etc.) once the game is released. There's supposed to be a difficulty above hard mode.

Obviously it's no Bayo or NG, but it looks fun and well designed imo.

Exactly how I feel. Im really looking forward to it in that regard. (even though im not partial to God Of War, have yet to play ascension but from what I have heard it feels like a more competent action game)

i finally decided to pre-order yesterday and i'm getting more and more excited about it. i might even play it first before killzone.

Top Bottom