• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Press Preview | New Footage

Wurdfurd

I will definitely be picking this up. I love a good, casual adventure/puzzle game as a break from the dudebro shooters that make up most of my collection.

Loudninja

Im starting to think there are Ps4s sitting in stores right now. I mean they have just a few weeks to get them all across the world. They got to start now. I predict by next Friday some sap is going to lose his job doing a Ps4 unboxing video.
Heh could be.

Man we are so close.

Goldrusher

I wonder why Sony isn't putting a publisher or studio logo on the front cover anymore.

An attempt to get people to read the back?
To avoid a bad game influencing the sales of better ones?

Ubisoft, Activision, 2K, Warner Bros and many others will put their logo(s) in the bottom right corner.
Only Sony isn't.

Weird.

That dodge looks cool.
ibvdo78UWPaQ2o.gif

I saw that Adam Sessler video and it looks quite charming. I haven't followed the coverage at all but all I know is people here seem very negative.

If you get cut to bits, do you become smaller? It would be cool if you had to employ different strategies against enemies when smaller until you get all your bits to become regular size.

Loudninja

Some very nice impressions from another topic
Found a PS4 in a German Saturn store today.

There were lots of kids around the booth and they loved Knack. I asked them to start Drive Club, but they said that they had already tested all the games and Knack is the best. ^_^

Controller is awesome, but I expected it to be bigger. On pictures it really looks big compared to DS3, but in real life it is pretty small. It felt very valuable, touch pad is very easy to reach, d-pad is great (much better than expected), face buttons, sticks and triggers are perfect imo. The only thing I didn't like is the shape of L1/R1. All in all very nice controller.

I played Knack for about 10 minutes and I really liked it. This game has its moments graphically, for example some effects are awesome like glassy Knack and all the little metally parts, but it definitely won't blow people away with its visuals. Game runs fluid, no tearing, no frame drops. Aliasing is apparent but undisturbing. The kids loved the graphics, though.

What I really liked was the gameplay: It's like God of War but instead of the focus on combat (combos and stuff) you have much more focus on movement. I played on normal mode. I needed some time to realize that almost everything in the world does damage to Knack and from that point on it was lots of fun. You need to dodge and jump or double jump all the time. If you don't then the enemies will get you with their giant swords and jelly guns. It's much more about reaction than action and I really liked that. Rogue-style hit and run. I'm glad I pre-orderd this game and I played much better than the Kids, by the way. ^_^

AzerPhire

Hope someone opens it so we can see the (lack of) manual and if they punched holes in the case! Let's get this disappointment over right right now!

Picked up my copy today for $40 from EB Games Canada. There is a $20 off coupon I posted in the Canadian deals thread.

This game is hard as balls considering its simplicity. Played the demo today on Normal and there was an enemy that was 3-shotting me. Defeating him actually took some pattern recognition and a bit of strategy. Difficulty on normal wouldn't suggest this was a family game at all lol. Framerate was kinda ass for next-gen but I still had fun. Probably buying at launch.

This game is hard as balls considering its simplicity. Played the demo today on Normal and there was an enemy that was 3-shotting me. Defeating him actually took some pattern recognition and a bit of strategy. Difficulty on normal wouldn't suggest this was a family game at all lol. Framerate was kinda ass for next-gen but I still had fun. Probably buying at launch.

good to hear

Loudninja

Sounds good,I do thing that was the E3 build you were playing though not sure.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope Knack becomes a surprise hit to silence all the naysayers...

I'm not exactly excited about this game but I'll picking it up if I can get that B2G1 deal to work out. Already getting two games and this will be a nice counterpoint to the two FPS I'm getting. Will make a point of giving my impressions since I'm not hyped for this one.

Joeki11a

Banned
tried it at Gamestop

very basic and character is horrible

the liil kid should had been the lead and Knack his sidekick

I'm really excited for this actually, and almost surprised that i am. Its just so nice to have something original at launch and i'm glad to hear the game is challenging.

will be picking it up w/ the target buy 2 get 1 free (so long as we're on for canada for that, which looks like we are!).

good to hear

Yeah it was a little intense.

You're basically fighting a literal tank. He likes to surround himself with an electric shield and move toward you. Then he drops his shield and with little warning, fires a very fast shot at you. After a few seconds he repeats the pattern.

So what I had to do was run away to avoid the electricity, then quickly dodge with the right stick to avoid the shot. After that I had just enough time for a three hit combo before having to r-stick dodge away as he put his shield back up. Not the most challenging thing out there but I was expecting a button masher and again, he kills you in three hits. Very pleasantly surprising to me.

/warstory

Knack has come along way from it's original showing back in Feb. I'm actually excited about it now. They should show more of the platforming elements that they teased in that recent ps4 video.

KoopaTheCasual

Random Anecdote: While I was messing around with the hard mode demo, the little kids around me were all in awe saying things like "woah! It looks like GTA, but cartoony!" Really made me realize how simple platformers (outside of Nintendo) have really fallen out of favor. I feel like Knack will do well, sales wise, if only because parents buying a new console for their little boy/girl will grab the only colorful and child-oriented new IP/game available for the new systems this holiday.

So glad I didn't buy this when Gamestop put it out. I would have regretted spending the $60 dollars on it....
As I won it earlier today!!

Get Hype!

Loudninja

Knack has come along way from it's original showing back in Feb. I'm actually excited about it now. They should show more of the platforming elements that they teased in that recent ps4 video.
The video I posted above has some platforming alone with this has small snippets of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OByNPvxOgAQ

Yeah it was a little intense.

You're basically fighting a literal tank. He likes to surround himself with an electric shield and move toward you. Then he drops his shield and with little warning, fires a very fast shot at you. After a few seconds he repeats the pattern.

So what I had to do was run away to avoid the electricity, then quickly dodge with the right stick to avoid the shot. After that I had just enough time for a three hit combo before having to r-stick dodge away as he put his shield back up. Not the most challenging thing out there but I was expecting a button masher and again, he kills you in three hits. Very pleasantly surprising to me.

/warstory
Now that sounds good!

Loudninja

That aerial attack is really fun to use for whatever reason. Especially when initiating it after jumping over an archer's arrow :)

edit - also good to see that framerate may not be an issue in the final game. I'm not sure if the demo framerate was really that low, but it was juddery as hell.
Is it me or does he jump higher when he is smaller?

Played this at BestBuy yesterday, not to impressed. Seems like it's gonna get real repetitive. I'm sure it will be free for + members at some point so i'll play it then.

Top Bottom