• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting outside the stores for MH4 in Japan today

Ridley327

In what possible way could Sony have stopped Nintendo and Capcom (a 3rd party developer) from communicating to each other? This is a serious question because I have no idea.

With hindsight being 20/20, the obvious answer was to get Capcom to agree to an exclusivity deal when MH2P/F was turning out to be a genuine system seller. How do you not even try to cover for something like that? Nintendo wasn't going to be on DS-level hardware forever.

PhantomR

Banned
Good god. And in another month will be Pokemon.

No wonder Sony is waiting until February for PS4.

3DS is about to start beast mode.

Well.....

Nintendo is amazing. But the REAL beast mode goes down on Monday night ;)

2013931341.jpg

Okay, please continue with MH4 discussion :)

People in Japan are not aware of home delivery? Who in their right mind would wait in a line for anything after 2008 is beyond me.

squall23

Sony could have stopped them by making a deal with them earlier. They wouldn't be opened to discussions with Nintendo if Sony simply locked it up when Monster Hunter was on the rise on PSP.
I can't help but think that would've been impossible anyway. This is going to be pure conjecture but at that time, MH3 for Wii would've been out or almost out and Capcom was probably already planning MH3G for Wii as well. Capcom most likely were working on both MHP3rd and MH3G at the same time so Sony outright moneyhatting the franchise would have been impossible since Nintendo was offering various benefits for the translation of MH3. Capcom eventually decided to make MH3G for 3DS instead of Wii.

Again, pure conjecture but I don't see that being too far off.

Caronte

they should have moneyhatted this though, without it vita was dead on arrival, I do suspect if it had come down to money that the price Nintendo would have had to pay would have been lower than the price sony would've had to (not saying Nintendo did pay, its just a thought)

That's what I think too. Capcom wanted to move the series to Nintendo handhelds (because they sell more) and they asked too much to Sony to keep it on their hardware, and Sony couldn't afford it.

Tripon

Hahaha, reminds me of the lines at Comiket. Only thing missing is the cosplay area where horny guys try to take pictures of smutty cosplay girls.

GetemMa

Well.....

2013931341.jpg

Ha.

I wish actually. I have Lynch on one of my fantasy teams and he didn't do much in week 1.

But yes...back to the MH4 discussion.

Caronte

Why didn't they then? lol. Sony has way more money than Nintendo if it came down to moneyhats. They just didn't care as much.

No they don't. Sony Corp and SCE is not the same thing. Nintendo makes A LOT more money than SCE.

Edit: And also, the main hardware for Nintendo is 3DS, the main hardware for Sony is PS4. If they had the money to moneyhat someone it would make more sense to spend it in a PS4 game.

Road

So will a home console game [as of today] ever reach the same status of that line or is Japan all handheld now?

Japan three biggest franchises (DQ, MH and Pokémon) are all on Nintendo handhelds right now, therefore, unless the next big thing happens on them, consoles will never have lines this big anymore.

There will still be lines, though, like for FFXV.

Holy shit. How much does Sony need to pay Capcom to get in on that action?

In a different universe Sony moneyhatted Capcom and Vita is not dead in Japan (it's still dead everywhere else).

Tripon

Well.....

2013931341.jpg

I got Colin Kaepernick at QB starting in week two. Hope Seattle goes down hard this Sunday. (Sunday night game is 49ers vs Seahawk, Monday night game is Steelers vs. Bengals).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
One of these days I need to go to Japan during a big launch like this. Gotta experience the atmosphere and anticipation of the new MonHun! :D

Yado

I can't help but think that would've been impossible anyway. This is going to be pure conjecture but at that time, MH3 for Wii would've been out or almost out and Capcom was probably already planning MH3G for Wii as well. Capcom most likely were working on both MHP3rd and MH3G at the same time so Sony outright moneyhatting the franchise would have been impossible since Nintendo was offering various benefits for the translation of MH3. Capcom eventually decided to make MH3G for 3DS instead of Wii.

Again, pure conjecture but I don't see that being too far off.

Is it possible that they just went with what was sure to be the more popular platform?

zroid

Banned
Really? Are you sure? I would think Nintendo is doing way better
financially to be able to afford it.

In recent memory sure, but in terms of what they can afford to spend, obviously Sony has more money. Sony can invest more into their video game business, since they have lots of other revenue streams. It's how they keep selling their hardware at heavy losses, while Nintendo needs to make a profit or else be taking a massive risk.

No they don't. Sony Corp and SCE is not the same thing. Nintendo makes A LOT more money than SCE.

Edit: And also, the main hardware for Nintendo is 3DS, the main hardware for Sony is PS4. If they had the money to moneyhat someone it would make more sense to spend it in a PS4 game.

That's what I just said. They don't care as much! (about their handheld)

FINALBOSS

Banned
God damn. Seeing these massive lines gets me so excited for the hype build up and payoff of GTA5 midnight launch and the console launches.

I have no interest in getting an Xbone this fall, but I'll be DAMNED if I don't watch some streams and check out live-blogs from lines and shit.

iMerc

Why didn't they then? lol. Sony has way more money than Nintendo if it came down to moneyhats. They just didn't care as much.

lol, no they don't.
Nintendo makes far more money out of videogames then SCE ever has.

Sony does care about Monster Hunter, but I'm guessing it's just too late for them at this point.
Look at all the monster hunter clones that have released/releasing on vita. I'm confident Sony had a hand in contracting them.
I seriously doubt the various developers behind them decided to release these games on vita despite the fact the that franchise that carries that genre is on another, more healthy system.

I'll never get these games. like, I get why COD is popular (constant positive reinforcement, very very low skill requirement) but I'll never understand the appeal of slowly swinging a sword 200 times to slowly whittle down a health bar of an enemy that barely reacts to you. I guess if the crafting mechanics are the appeal I sort of get that, but the core mechanics were such a turn off I couldnt even finish the demo.

Caronte

That's what I just said. They don't care as much! (about their handheld)

I agree with that. But still, I don't think Sony made a mistake. They needed to focus on their home console. Same thing as Nintendo did with the 3DS (leaving Wii U with almost nothing). It sucks for both the Vita and Wii U, but I believe it was the right decision to make for both companies.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. Hopefully the success of both MH and Pokemon makes more JP devs stop focusing so much on mobile games.

also, the main hardware for Nintendo is 3DS, the main hardware for Sony is PS4. If they had the money to moneyhat someone it would make more sense to spend it in a PS4 game.

They didn't moneyhat Titanfall for PS4 either, though, and Vita likely would have been a 1/3rd of their prospects right now if they'd retained Monster Hunter 4 for it. Install base would probably be triple what it is, 3rd parties would have flocked to it in turn, maintaining a chicken/egg cycle.

I'm as diehard a Vita owner as it gets, but Sony dropped the ball with this. Even if they couldn't outbid for exclusivity, they could have paid to make sure they also got it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The people questioning why people line up for video games probably haven't been to a midnight launch. It's a fun and energetic atmosphere. Knowing you're lined up with dozens, if not hundreds of other people all for the same game. I've only been to 3 midnight launches but I would definitely go again for something I'm really anticipating (even if I can order online or go in store the morning of)

I'll never get these games. like, I get why COD is popular (constant positive reinforcement, very very low skill requirement) but I'll never understand the appeal of slowly swinging a sword 200 times to slowly whittle down a health bar of an enemy that barely reacts to you. I guess if the crafting mechanics are the appeal I sort of get that, but the core mechanics were such a turn off I couldnt even finish the demo.

The appeal is successfully killing a 10 ton dinosaur that is actively trying to step on you while also trying to get the best reward in time.

In Sony's defense, it does seem like they responded to losing MH by incentivizing/funding as many hunting action games as possible, whereas Nintendo sat back and expected other titles in the genre to follow the genre king.

At least, that's my takeaway from what has and hasn't been announced in the genre for each platform.

Darryl

Banned

I suppose the teamwork aspect stands out. LoL is hard to understand too if you don't take that into account

Ramune

Are you sure you played a Monster Hunter? The same one where a Monster limps from your beatings, and retreats to lick it's wounds? Or flails on the ground because it's getting the crap kicked out of it? Or have it's tail cut off? o_O

It clicked for me even though I was soloing it up all the way back on MonHun Freedom 1, and I originally almost felt the same way you did. But the real hook is indeed multiplayer, especially in commuting capital, Japan. Westward, unless you played the original PS2 game, until Ad-Hoc Party on PS3's PSN or PC's X-link Kai, it was hard to arrange any multiplayer. Now you have the Wii and Wii U versions that had online multiplayer....I know it's not for everyone, but there had to be something that piqued your interest initially. Which one did you demo? :(

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, pretty obvious answer if I would have thought about it. Biggest game + biggest platform = biggest business.

As for lining up ... It's fun. I never buy anything at GameStop but I preordered my ps4 there so I could have the line-up-and-take-it-home-day-one experience, which I've never had before.

Top Bottom