• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting outside the stores for MH4 in Japan today

Tripon

No, I think it was due to production costs getting too high. Sales wouldn't be able to justify the cost of the project.

Its understated on how people love their HD devices, but the 3DS only being 240p and running on a low power ARM processor means lower production costs for devs. Which means cheaper games to make, and a 3DS game sells at the same price as a Vita game, and then the 3DS sells much more than the Vita has and its makes way too much sense for Capcom and the Monster Hunter team whose MT engine doesn't need high graphical fidelity to succeed to develop for the 3DS.

Portugeezer

3ds-it-prints-money.gif

I know most people aren't going to care and just like to be negative, but here are some points on the appeal of Monster Hunter:

-local co-op multiplayer on a portable system, in a dense country, yep yep
-lots of things to do, aspects to play with, kind of like Animal Crossing in its customization and routine, but with more concrete rewards
-long term goals you set yourself
-short term goals that are relatively easy to grasp, and usually plenty to choose from
-a lot of mysterious gameplay mechanics, which ignites imagination, superstition, and "gamer wisdom" (reminds me of the OG Pokemon games)
-plenty of playstyles that mesh pretty well
-good animation and subtle feedback that rewards experience over spectacle, believable monster AI that feels like you're playing against a reactive animal as opposed to just some hardcoded system
-feels almost endless
-fun artstyle and humorous writing (I don't know how much of this is in the Japanese versions, but most of the English versions have it)
-shit goes wrong all the time and it's funny as hell, even if the consequences are occasionally dire
-good difficulty curve that never makes you feel like you're wasting your time. Even fighting early-on monsters has its rewards later on.

Kusano123

Neo Member
Hahahahaha, Sony ha.......

Seriously, they can scavenge as many Hunting Games as they want. but seems like none of them will ever reach Monster Hunter's status.

Sony you misplayed. ;_;

Good god...why are you all in line?! And at so early in the day/overnight?!

The damn game is digital too! Just get it there! Hell, that might be quicker!

Monster Hunter POWA though, gaddamn

Though to be fair, being in line for this would be the ultimate Streetpass heaven like people have mentioned

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Good god...why are you all in line?! And at so early in the day/overnight?!

The damn game is digital too! Just get it there! Hell, that might be quicker!

Monster Hunter POWA though, gaddamn

Though to be fair, being in line for this would be the ultimate Streetpass heaven like people have mentioned

Well no account system + street pass + monster hunting with other people in line via MH3G while waiting

JavyOO7

I hope its a hit for Capcom... but I still can't help but feel and I sound like a broken record but this title should have been translated or been released same day along with the West. Man.

I just hope the translation is done with the quickness...

antonz

I hope its a hit for Capcom... but I still can't help but feel and I sound like a broken record but this title should have been translated or been released same day along with the West. Man.

I just hope the translation is done with the quickness...

While a quicker turn around to the west would be fantastic they aren't in any danger. First shipment was said to be 2 million units.

Riki

How are the lines compared to previous MH launches? DCharlie said it looks like there'll be biiiiig numbers. But that's not terribly specific.

If it sells out its initial shipment, it'll be one of the biggest launches for the franchise and for games in general in Japan.
Pictures for lines themselves are incredibly hard to judge, but the fact that there's still some activity hours later is good.

kaioshade

Game is certainly making moves, thats for sure. If no word of a western release hits relatively soon, i might have to import this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It seems no everyone is happy today in Japan. I just read some really angry comments from the vita fans there.

I still couldn't believe Sony allowed Nintendo to snatch this franchise from their consoles. What a huge loss.

It seems no everyone is happy today in Japan. I just read some really angry comments from the vita fans there.

I have a friend over there and there're still many displeased MH fans waiting for MH to come back to Sony handheld (they're still buying new MH on 3ds, though).

Sandfox

I still couldn't believe Sony allowed Nintendo to snatch this franchise from their consoles. What a huge loss.

I have a friend over there and there're still many displeased MH fans waiting for MH to come back to Sony handheld (they're still buying new MH on 3ds, though).
Made me laugh.

Different people.
Monster Hunter is 15+.

You say that like the 15+ group isn't going to buy Pokemon.

Top Bottom