• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Mania X review is dope. I like it a lot. Dem gifs doe! :O

People talk about Yoko, and I believe you are one of them, as being a great monster heel, but Yoko was boring as fuck outside of squash matches. He was fun in squash matches because he would absolutely crush jobbers, but once he had to do a real match, it was all the fucking nerve hold or a rear chin lock.

DMczaf

He wrestles in a shirt now DM.

CN8B3rx.png

Toki767

It's saddened me to realize that of all the top tier names Randy Savage faced at WrestleMania, his last match at WrestleMania was against Crush.

Cagey

Banned
WMX was my first WM too. Not reading the review yet because I want to watch it in all its glory

EDIT: I still remember buying a commemorative WM magazine from 7-11 before WMX, and I learned about the history prior.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People talk about Yoko, and I believe you are one of them, as being a great monster heel, but Yoko was boring as fuck outside of squash matches. He was fun in squash matches because he would absolutely crush jobbers, but once he had to do a real match, it was all the fucking nerve hold or a rear chin lock.

Not me, but...I dunno. It wasn't me though!

The best part of the New Generation was all the old guys Vince brought back for "star power". Like the Anvil, Nikolai Volkoff, and King Kong Bundy.

hey now, Bundy was on Married... With Children. doesn't get bigger than that.

speaking off, Zack Ryder should have an Al Bundy gimmick.

Man, i thought i was late with my wm9 review but then i realized killing joke jumped the gun

Sorry won't have a computer for the next couple of days so i jumped ahead. And sorry about the gifs guys i'll try to resize theme later if i can!

But X is a really cool show. Watching Owen in his prime hurts bad. I don't remember 94 all that well but i wouldn't be surprised if he was the best talent on the roster.

strobogo

Banned
Hey guys, remember when Big Show got a hair cut and got to main event WM? If Daniel would just get a hair cut, he could be in the main event.

shit, it's 04:00, there are children sleeping and i was laughing my ass off at one spot in a match i'm reviewing. goddamn, that was some fat indie guy trying to look smooth shit.

UWF - MINORU SUZUKI vs JOHNNY BARRETT - 1989

suzuki_barrett1pnlu9.gif

first match of a week long series on Minoru Suzuki, someone who, by doing shoot-style, MMA and traditional style, truly embodies the spirit of Straight Shooters. this is a young Suzuki, on his second year as a wrestler (he debuted in 1988). he had left NJPW for the newborn UWF alongside with his trainer Yoshiaki Fujiwara. look at how young he looks here, 21 years old.

suzuki_barrett2k6agc.gif

Barrett looks like the long lost FAT Hart brother in that pink singlet. bell rings. Barrett gets Suzuki to the corner and throws a kick. surprising. both men start clinching up, testing each other. Suzuki gets hold of a leg and secures the takedown. nicely done by the small guy.

suzuki_barrett33hzlz.gif

Suzuki works on a sleeper hold but Barrett quickly gets back to his feet. another single leg takedown by Suzuki, transition into a kneebar. Barrett slaps a kneebar of his own as a counter. switch to toe hold by Suzuki but Barrett reaches the ropes and breaks the hold. short, low straight kicks to the kneecap, a technique used rather often in modern MMA.

suzuki_barrett4mdbwc.gif

now Barrett answers back with kicks of his own. Suzuki grabs the leg but the deceptively agile Barrett manages to locks in a kneebar. good stuff.

suzuki_barrett58nyr2.gif

Suzuki tries to counter with a heel hook but instead goes for an inverted fujiwara armbar of which Barrett eascapes with the most hilariously slow roll i've ever seen. holy shit, did i laugh at this hard. had tears in my eyes. it even makes a loud "thump" when he lands.

suzuki_barrett6a7aw5.gif

well, i laughed but now Barrett got Suzuki's back. he switches to top position and slaps the shit out of Suzuki. now he's trying to go for a single leg boston crab. he gets it but Suzuki rolls out. the japanese is clearly hurt from having Barrett on top of him and has trouble standing up. the ref decides to give him a 10 count. he recovers by 6. now it's Barrett back on the attack, kicking Suzuki's legs. but the small guy comes back with a headbutt and a nice double underhook takedown.

suzuki_barrett7viz21.gif

Suzuki working on a kumura now but Barrett powers out of it. Suzuki back on top, now working on a neck crank but both guys get tangled on the ropes and the ref stands them up. Barrett is pissed and jumps on top of Suzuki. Suzuki foes for the double leg but Barrett sprawls and headbutts Suzuki's spine. Barrett with a guillotine, Suzuki escapes. now it's Suzuki on his back but Barrett reverses position with another roll. locks the neck crank, Suzuki counters with a leg scissors choke. Barrett escapes and got a guillotine going. Suzuki counters with a double leg takedown quickly converted into a kneebar.

suzuki_barrett8vjzbz.gif

Barrett reaches the ropes and breaks the submission. both men are standing now. Suzuki tries to use his speed advantage but Barrett nullifies it. Barrett gets Suzuki's back, works on a choke. switch to a neck crank of which Suzuki escapes. Barrett on top again, another choke attempt but Suzuki reaches the ropes and breaks the submission. they clinch up again. Suzuki throws Barrett with a side headlock takedown, quickly gets on top. goes for a kimura but SWERVES Barrett and locks an armbar. extends the arm and Barrett taps. winner via submission, Minoru Suzuki. fun match from Suzuki's early years, 2 years as a wrestler and already looked very solid.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium

Alucard

Banned
Lockdown wasn't all bad tonight. Lots of "good" stuff tonight:

-Opening match
-Gunner/Storm
-Manik/Tigre Uno
-Madison/Gail

Unfortunately, the "big" matches were booking clusterfucks. Here is how I would have done the Joe/Magnus/Abyss thing:

After a hard-fought 15-20 minutes, Joe and Magnus knock each other down and are lying on the mat and gasping for air. (either this or Magnus is about to tap) Then, the lights go out. After they come back on, Abyss is inside the ring with Janice. There are two or three officials down on the outside of the cage who were "knocked out" by Abyss so he could make his way into the cage. As Joe and Magnus get up slowly and look at Abyss in confusion, he hits Joe with Janice, nails a Blackhole Slam, and walks out, closing the cage door. Magnus looks on in confusion before smiling and getting the win the way he did tonight.

Less stupid than tonight's ending? Or still too weird?

strobogo

Banned
The ending of WM2000 is truly fucking stupid. I don't think I've watched WM2000 in full since it happened. The ending makes no sense at all.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.examiner.com/article/wwe...ers-they-can-be-stars-without-being-called-up

Before the huge WWE “NXT: Arrival” show, Triple H met with the young talent on the NXT roster about the company’s plans for NXT and the future of these young stars. According to PWS on March 9, Triple made it clear that call ups to the main WWE roster may be less frequent in the future.

Since the last year and a half saw the call ups of The Shield, The Wyatt Family, and Big E Langston, and before that Fandango and Cesaro, it seems that call ups being less frequent will mean the WWE will just stick with their basic roster with little to no changes for awhile.

While NXT is called the future of the WWE, that future might not arrive on the grand stage for a long time.

However, Triple H also ensured that NXT would get pushed hard with the WWE Network and that all the wrestlers there would be much bigger stars than ever before thanks to the promotion on the WWE Network. While this might be disappointing to some wrestlers who wanted to make it to “WWE Monday Night Raw,” this might also open the door for more wrestlers to get the exposure they need to become stars in their own rights.

uh oh.. He has gone to burying from the get go now :p

that basically means Corey Graves is never gonna be called up
Welcome to Wrestlemania X Live at Madison Square Garden!! **WARNING I'm not a writer and my english sucks, I did this for fun! I also didn't have enough time to resize all gifs sorry!**
WE GOT STARS FOR SURE
WE GOT STARS GALORE
YA GONNA SEE A SHOW LIKE NEVER BEFORE
THE MISSION IS THE TITLES AND WE WILL WIN
BUT WE ALL GONNA ROCK WRESTLEMANIA TEN!

I read that as H's way of trying to push NXT as a brand in itself and that they try not to Emma or Rusev it up with anymore call ups and make them lost in the shuffle.

Credo

Is he even allowed to show up at other shows when he still employed by the WWE? Or does he just not give a shit?

When Chris Hardwick announced who the hosts were going to be next week, he announced him as, "Phil Brooks, AKA C.M. Punk," so maybe he'll just be appearing on the show as Phil Brooks to try to get around anything legal. I've no idea.

strobogo

Banned
I read that as H's way of trying to push NXT as a brand in itself and that they try not to Emma or Rusev it up with anymore call ups and make them lost in the shuffle.

I read it as "NXT is better than Raw. You're better off in NXT until Vince dies, I promise."

Soul, do you know why Kane was so pissed after the finish of his match at WM17? He was kicking shit and throwing a fit for some reason. Also, do you agree with me that his best look was the inverted color set he was using in 2000?

gurudyne

How's the pay being handled, I wonder. Whenever someone "big" went to NXT, it was said they'd be taking a pay decrease with the caveat "but they'll get to RAW and a decent longterm pay check that way." With RAW call ups off the table, is this just an incentive to keep everyone happy?

Sblargh

Banned
Maybe NXT worked. Maybe they looked at the data and said "ok, this made us money".

If people are indeed buying merch, subscribing to the network, not watching TNA (even more), then why transfer the talent that is making it work to a main roster that is already in a crisis of old vs young?

They could put NXT on the road, something like once a month, in a small(ish) venue, also give it a spot on future PPVs (one mid-card match or so). It could be like Ultimate WWE before Jeph Loeb fucked it up.

Maybe NXT worked. Maybe they looked at the data and said "ok, this made us money".

If people are indeed buying merch, subscribing to the network, not watching TNA (even more), then why transfer the talent that is making it work to a main roster that is already in a crisis of old vs young?

They could put NXT on the road, something like once a month, in a small(ish) venue, also give it a spot on future PPVs (one mid-card match or so). It could be like Ultimate WWE before Jeph Loeb fucked it up.
what would the NXT/wrestling version of Ultimatum be. Everyone gets fired, or everyone gets called up to Raw at once, or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom