• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's AKA Jessica Jones | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
ugh they released the DD S2 teaser but still no actual trailer for this even though it's only five and a half weeks away

To be fair, that DDs2 teaser was more a hype trailer for season 1, with like 15 seconds of new s2 footage at the end. We've seen about that much of Jessica Jones at this point with all the short teasers they've released now.

The Punisher is there. That's really all it would take. He's a walking judge jury and executioner. A reminder of what real-world vigilantism more often looks like.

Yeah, given Bernthal's creepy-ass comments at the panel and the current Chris Kyle lionization, I'm not optimistic that the showrunners will have the guts to depict the character in a truly negative light.

Blader

Yeah, given Bernthal's creepy-ass comments at the panel and the current Chris Kyle lionization, I'm not optimistic that the showrunners will have the guts to depict the character in a truly negative light.

I laughed a sad laugh when he said he knew how big an inspiration the Punisher is to police and military.

SoilBreak

Banned

The showrunners said that they're writing Punisher based on the Ennis,Aaron, & Rucka comics @ NYCC.

duckroll

No cursing? But it's ok to smash people's heads wide open? Come on Marvel...

It's also apparently okay to show rough sex (as long as there's no nudity) and deal with the consequences of rape in the story, but smoking is a big no no! Yay Disney!

Marvel seems to have a lot of autonomy from Disney proper, and they banned smoking in their comics years before they were acquired, so I think there's at least a chance you're misplacing the blame here.

-griffy-

Banned
No cursing? But it's ok to smash people's heads wide open? Come on Marvel...

They can curse, they just can't say fuck. Pretty sure "shit" and similar was said in Daredevil. It's pushing just past what they can get away with on cable networks like AMC/FX as far as language, sex and violence (which is frankly quite a lot looking at Walking Dead, The Americans, Breaking Bad, Justified, Mr. Robot, etc, and Daredevil of course), but not quite into HBO territory.

jph139

If you watch the commentary for Hulk vs. Wolverine (released way back in 2009), they mention that they wanted to show Logan smoking a cigar but it's Marvel policy not to show their characters (possibly just their heroes - it's been a while) smoking, in any media. So that aspect predates Disney 100%.

I think this is the second review of the first seven episodes from a European fansite I've never heard of. So weird how they're handling the screeners and embargoes; maybe it has to do with Netflix's impending launch in several further countries in Europe?

http://www.espaciomarvelita.com/201...onzalo-opina-marvels-jessica-jones-1x01-1x07/

Also, the @JessicaJones Twitter seems to be counting down by quoting Tennant's lines from the last teaser. When it gets to "I know everything," which should be within the next couple days, they'll probably drop the trailer... maybe during SHIELD tomorrow night?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You can use drugs/tobacco products as part of the story, but actually showing someone using is a no no.

You should watch Constantine; he's a heavy smoker, always carrying a lit cigarette, but you'll never see him smoke or light it. IIRC there's even a scene where he exhales the smoke, but you never see him inhale.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You should watch Constantine; he's a heavy smoker, always carrying a lit cigarette, but you'll never see him smoke or light it. IIRC there's even a scene where he exhales the smoke, but you never see him inhale.

Why would he inhale, he's just a petty dabbler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom