• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

mosdl

So you can only have three abilities equipped at a time? Can you switch loadouts on the fly for another set of three abilities, essentially giving you 12 abilities at once (4 loadout slots)? Or do you have to go into the menu to switch loadouts?
The video said you can switch on the fly but so far we only have seen it via the radial menu. Could easily be the dpad. I hope on PC that is something that is bindable

Schlorgan

From the Bioware-provided character kits:

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Scott
PTvCpBy.jpg

It'll probably just be a lot like Sheploo, where sometimes it looks fine and sometimes it doesn't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Scott
PTvCpBy.jpg

It'll probably just be a lot like Sheploo, where sometimes it looks fine and sometimes it doesn't.

They both look absolutely fine here to me.

Jblanks

So did they get rid of classes, and you can just pick and level up any skills at will; and most likely be able to just swap them out whenever you're in the ship ?

So no more Adept, Engineer, Sentinel, etc? You're just everything put together?

If so, not sure if I like that, I always liked having an identity, and selecting my squadmates to help achieve a good mix of everything.

Also is MP going to be the same or is it going to be like ME3 where you unlock different classes (ex: Salarian Engineer -GOAT).

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Sara looks creepy. I hope not all female models look like that
I'm planing to play as one.

Do we know if first names are voiced this time?

So did they get rid of classes, and you can just pick and level up any skills at will; and most likely be able to just swap them out whenever you're in the ship ?

If so, not sure if I like that, I always liked having an identity, and selecting my squadmates to help achieve a good mix of everything.

Also is MP going to be the same or is it going to be like ME3 where you unlock different classes (ex: Salarian Engineer -GOAT).

Classes still exist, you just aren't necessarily locked to them. You can put skill points into any skill you want but depending on the skills you choose, you'll unlock a class profile which will provide further bonuses to boost those skills. For instance invest mostly in soldier skills, you'll get the Soldier class profile and get extra bonuses provided by that. Or if you invest roughly half/half soldier and adept, you unlock the Vanguard profile which will boost some aspect of both your biotics and combat skills.

iirc classes in MP are still limited to specific power sets.

And Sara looks wonderful. You all are crazy.

Jblanks

Classes still exist, you just aren't necessarily locked to them. You can put skill points into any skill you want but depending on the skills you choose, you'll unlock a class profile which will provide further bonuses to boost those skills. For instance invest mostly in soldier skills, you'll get the Soldier class profile and get extra bonuses provided by that. Or if you invest roughly half/half soldier and adept, you unlock the Vanguard profile which will boost some aspect of both your biotics and combat skills.

iirc classes in MP are still limited to specific power sets.

And Sara looks wonderful. You all are crazy.

Nice sounds better than I thought.

Nice sounds better than I thought.

To add to that you can pick any single class profile you've unlocked to use at a time, so if you've unlocked enough soldier skills for the soldier profile, then go and decide to unlock some engineering skills, you can keep using your soldier profile while using engineering skills as well. If you then go and unlock the engineer profile, you can switch to that and use either soldier or engineer skills. The profiles also seem to level up with the more skills you have in the appropriate branch(es). There's 7 profiles, so presumably six based off the original classes (3 pure and 3 hybrids) and then one all-rounder which balances all three categories of skills.

xealo

Sara looks creepy. I hope not all female models look like that
I'm planing to play as one.

Do we know if first names are voiced this time?

If you pick the name Sara or Scott respectively, it's supposed to be voiced. Otherwise they'll probably go with some roundabout way like with Shepard going with his family name.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They both look absolutely fine here to me.

I agree. Looks good to me. Kinda wish they would get some 3rd party hair tech in there like tressFX or hairworks. But other than that they look good.

I think depending on the lighting we will get some results that look stellar, some that don't.

Just hoping that we can get results that sometimes look as good as this. Which is still one of my favorite official screenshots of all time.

mass-effect-20070510035258661.jpg

gow3isben

Oh my God this is too great. My all time favorite series and that was just partially because of the story. I loved the incredible combat gameplay and how many options you had in your arsenal. And this just ups the ante. Can't wait to be a vanguard and charge + shotgunning everything to death with all these other mobility options on display.

Have to say though. Female Ryder is a total ugo.

Staf

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Scott
PTvCpBy.jpg

Oh boy. Most of this game looks pretty damn good but the models... especially the hair and eyes, ouch.

Liamario

Banned
Sara looks fine, but it's not the look of a badass-gun toting- space explorer. Thankfully the character creator exists for this reason.

Wow! This game looks so good. Can't wait to start playing on day 1 this time around. :)

So I had ME3 since day 1 but never opened it. Was in backlog until now. ME:A isn't continuation but I wanted to finish Shepard's story before ME:A. I knew about ending controversy at the time of release. Since I hadn't played the game, never read anything about it. Thought why not play original ending and check out what was it that made lots of fans angry.

Finished the game!. Ummm...what the motherfucking fuck was that? asdkd;#@#@# Felt like I should be legally allowed to knock off at least 8-10 magazine racks in GameStop. Felt so disappointed after such a long journey with awesome characters. Immediately downloaded extended ending which wasn't that satisfactory either.

Bring on new era of space adventures in ME:A.

Wow! This game looks so good. Can't wait to start playing on day 1 this time around. :)

So I had ME3 since day 1 but never opened it. Was in backlog until now. ME:A isn't continuation but I wanted to finish Shepard's story before ME:A. I knew about ending controversy at the time of release. Since I hadn't played the game, never read anything about it. Thought why not play original ending and check out what was it that made lots of fans angry.

Finished the game!. Ummm...what the motherfucking fuck was that? asdkd;#@#@# Felt like I should be legally allowed to knock off at least 8-10 magazine racks in GameStop. Felt so disappointed after such a long journey with awesome characters. Immediately downloaded extended ending which wasn't that satisfactory either.

Bring on new era of space adventures in ME:A.
Take a few minutes to think about everything that happened in the game BEFORE the ending and think about how much you enjoyed that.

Also play the Citadel DLC. Doesn't make the ending less shit but it's still a damn good way to get closure.

2San

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Scott
PTvCpBy.jpg

I'm kinda missing Sheploo now. He really had a distinct look, at least as far as the bald space marine archetype goes.

Sara looks kinda weird, but still looks like a step up from whatever you could produce in the previous ME games. FemHawke from DA II looked great though.

Take a few minutes to think about everything that happened in the game BEFORE the ending and think about how much you enjoyed that.

Also play the Citadel DLC. Doesn't make the ending less shit but it's still a damn good way to get closure.
I think the only reason I look back at the ME series as fondly as I do, is because I got all the DLC (for ME2 and ME3) some of which are critical for the overall narrative and ending the game with Citadel. Playing the games and DLC back to back.

JCH!

Am I really gonna have to go through all the 'create a Ryder' thing to get a decent character?

I hate character creation, always roll default.

Squire

Banned
Am I really gonna have to go through all the 'create a Ryder' thing to get a decent character?

I hate character creation, always roll default.

This might have face codes in it, but I'm guessing they never did get that working in Frostbite since it hasn't come up.

Jayde Rossi is technically not a supermodel, but Bioware were pretty clearly going for "hot" here

MV5BNDQ1OTIxODU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY5MDQ2NjE@._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

edit: She's who Sara was modeled on, to be clear
If I were to see this person without makeup, with a normal pony tail haircut, and not standing in a pose, I wouldn't call her a "super model" either; in the same way that I wouldn't say that Sara Ryder was designed to look like a super model. Besides, the proportions of her face were tweaked according to Shinobi, presumably to look more "everyday", so to speak.

The overreacting here is kinda sad to see to be honest. I mean, "creepy"? Get a grip.

Aretak

I guess some people here aren't used to the idea of a female character that isn't designed like a supermodel
That sure is a real convenient excuse to wave away any criticism of poor character models. I'm sure that Miranda, a product of genetic engineering designed to be the perfect woman in lore, looking more like Michael Jackson than Yvonne Strahovski was also a design choice.

Tovarisc

I guess some people here aren't used to the idea of a female character that isn't designed like a supermodel

Oh snap!

No, but really. That is what you come back with when someone criticizes character model? If they didn't go for "supermodel" look with FemRyder I wonder why they took that route with literally every other human in the game. Whole argument of her not being supermodel makes no sense because of it.

-------

She looked just fine in skill menus in this trailer. In this pic?
TvkeRP8.jpg

If I were to say her eyes are dead, skin seems oddly matte / rubbery and hair just has something weird going on. There is basically zero lightning going on which makes model look not-so-good.

That sure is a real convenient excuse to wave away any criticism of poor character models. I'm sure that Miranda, a product of genetic engineering designed to be the perfect woman in lore, looking more like Michael Jackson than Yvonne Strahovski was also a design choice.

Oh snap!

No, but really. That is what you come back with when someone criticizes character model? If they didn't go for "supermodel" look with FemRyder I wonder why they took that route with literally every other human in the game. Whole argument of her not being supermodel makes no sense because of it.

-------

She looked just fine in skill menus in this trailer. In this pic?
TvkeRP8.jpg

If I were to say her eyes are dead, skin seems oddly matte / rubbery and hair just has something weird going on. There is basically zero lightning going on which makes model look not-so-good.

Regardless of your "reasons", its tiring and annoying to see every ME:A thread talk how Sara's model is the "fucking worst". Yes, it could use some improvement, but its not irredeemably bad as some would think.

Its getting creepy to be honest

Tovarisc

Regardless of your "reasons", its tiring and annoying to see every ME:A thread talk how Sara's model is the "fucking worst". Yes, it could use some improvement, but its not irredeemably bad as some would think.

Its getting creepy to be honest

Just throw proper lightning environment in when taking screenshots of her. That seems to fix most of flaws that people are pointing out, like you can see in combat trailer as menu seems to have decent lightning for PC model. To me it convinced that her model isn't as much off as I had thought from those poor shots that they released earlier.

Lanrutcon

Sara
TvkeRP8.jpg

Sara still looks creepy and freakish to me. Those eyes are just wrong. She looks like some kind of stepford wifebot gone wrong.

Side note: Bioware are still having issues with hair apparently. It's 2017, guys.

JBwB

Both character models admittedly look weird.

But to be fair the default Shepard's in the ME trilogy also looked weird as well.

A lot of complaints about the female main character - and she does look incredibly off for a sci-fi hero - but man the male one looks like such a douche too. Like Mass Effect 90210. And his name's even Scott. Hey I'm Scott the badass futuristic space hero. How's my hair.

Zakalwe

Banned
She looks great, imo. Some of you ware weird as hell.

Your identity will be found from the options you select. It will still be there, don't worry.

More options doesn't remove that, you can lock in to what you prefer if you want that. This is literally a non-problem.

prag16

Banned
Except she IS ... she is designed after an actual model. But the beauty got lost in translation.
Yvonne Strahovski got lost in translation with Miranda too. It happens. The fixation on the face is bizarre. On the bright side, this thread lasted much longer before it became a river of shit than most other ME:A threads.

Top Bottom