• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maya confirmed for Ace Attorney 6

aaagh I like Maya but no more dumb channeling bullshit cases please.

Comments like this (along with "A GHOST DID IT!!!11") seem to be appearing with startling frequency. Why on earth do you guys even play these games if you're that put off by the supernatural elements? Channeling has been a huge part part of the series from the very first game!

I suppose it took some people out of the realistic consequencesin the trilogy.

And yet I wonder how many of those same people are fans of a certain whip-wielding prosecutor who has yet to be held in contempt of court for assaulting the defense, the witnesses, and threatening the judge?

Supernatural elements in an otherwise fairly grounded series..

http://i.imgur.com/DG8ma7g.webm

"Fairly" grounded.

Jintor

the fact that ghosts appear isn't really important, as long as ghosts are treated consistently by the various legal systems

Blues1990

As far as her overall appearance goes, she looks as much as expected to be, and it's great that she has returned. Though, I thought she was going to inherit her sister's ridiculous proportions.

It was either her or Apollo, and unfortunately (or fortunately?) they choose him to back as the secondary protagonist.

I want Athena to fall off a bridge and then have the bridge collapse and fall on her, and then have a satellite fall out of orbit and onto the collapsed bridge. If she tried to use her shitty mood computer to accurately measure how much I hate her, it would spew acid into her face.

I'm okay with Apollo taking the lead here, is what I'm saying.

Fandangox

Supernatural elements in an otherwise fairly grounded series. Personally, I found the channeling more tolerable than
the Phantom
from Dual Destinies.

you mean the same grounded series whose turnabout in the most pivotal case in the series came from cross examining a parrot

Blues1990

I want Athena to fall off a bridge and then have the bridge collapse and fall on her, and then have a satellite fall out of orbit and onto the collapsed bridge. If she tried to use her shitty mood computer to accurately measure how much I hate her, it would spew acid into her face.

Wow.

I didn't mind Athena, and Apollo was alright in AA5. I actually found it funny that he was the butt of the majority of jokes directed at him.

The only character that I wished was coming back, was Franziska von Karma. She was one of the standout prosecutor in the AA series, me thinks.

Sadist

Don't be mean against her :(

cHinzo

I'm actually playing Trials and Tribulations right now, after having just finished Justice for All last week and the first game last summer. It's kind of a shame you guys seem to be "eh" on the rest of the series, I was looking forward to Apollo Justice.

(Thanks for the spoiler tags, though! Don't think I got anything spoiled)
Meh Apollo Justice had only 2 good cases. AA5 was imo just as good as the first one and they streamlined the game a lot, so not much backtracking. Liked the story and characters too.

PK Gaming

I liked her, but I don't mind Apollo being pushed over her. We're never going to get a sequel to Apollo Justice, so this is the next best thing.

He's due.

A better look at the game's box art.

Cc6So-_UMAAfNig.jpg:orig

In real life, Athena would be REALLY jealous of Maya.

Bitch overshadowed her really good.

MrBadger

you mean the same grounded series whose turnabout in the most pivotal case in the series came from cross examining a parrot

The parrot cross examination feels ridiculous because the first game is fairly grounded outside of spirit channeling. This was before Wright had cross examined ghosts, robots, orcas and yokai. People seem eager to point out that part when saying the first game is just as out there as the newer ones, but I think it really shows the opposite.

And yet I wonder how many of those same people are fans of a certain whip-wielding prosecutor who has yet to be held in contempt of court for assaulting the defense, the witnesses, and threatening the judge?

For what it's worth, Franziska is my least favourite prosecutor.

Also I should clarify I'm fine with spirit channeling because it only takes centre stage in one case, which is when the rules have long since been established

Wow.

I didn't mind Athena, and Apollo was alright in AA5. I actually found it funny that he was the butt of the majority of jokes directed at him.

The only character that I wished was coming back, was Franziska von Karma. She was one of the standout prosecutor in the AA series, me thinks.

It's too bad the AAI series didn't take off, Franziska had some good parts in those two games.

Anyone saying AA games are even remotely grounded needs to stop and consider the premise and legal system for the entirety of the series and how crazy every aspect of it is if that were real life. It's all silly, and the parrots, clowns, surprise twists, and anime breakdowns only push things even further. I have to wonder if AA is the majority of gamer's first and only experience with the legal system

Verelios

For what it's worth, Franziska is my least favourite prosecutor.

Also I should clarify I'm fine with spirit channeling because it only takes centre stage in one case, which is when the rules have long since been established
Franziska is a garbage prosecutor, but that's why I like her. Outside of court that is. Every other prosecutor whose names weren't Gavin, have been generational geniuses. These are the guys that take defense Attorneys to the circus and make them Moe's bitch. She's really stuck in the middle here. Her father was Herr motherfucking Von Karma, prosecution legend before legends were a thing. His protégé is even more unbelievable at this point, especially because he's legitimately decimating the competition. Edgeworth can fuck your day up, bring you back with hope and then fuck you again with two sentences. They didn't need external punishment because their presence was huge in court.

Between them, yeah, Fran is a garbage prosecutor, but I like the character, especially when she's being a sidekick. It's really telling how she connects with Adrian A.

Junahu

Comments like this (along with "A GHOST DID IT!!!11") seem to be appearing with startling frequency. Why on earth do you guys even play these games if you're that put off by the supernatural elements? Channeling has been a huge part part of the series from the very first game!
Channelling in the first game was a private affair along the lines of "I am your mentor and I believe in you, now stop failing and win this case". You could strip that out, pretend that Wright was hallucinating, and the cases would still make sense.
You never had to consider the scenario of a murder where one person was channelling another from beyond the grave. Mia-Maya was a part of your wacky misfit lawyer team, and it was ignored by virtually everyone else in the game.

Edit: I'm actually legitimately excited to see Maya again. With the more level headed Wright we have now, we need a character to drag him back out of his comfort zone. And Maya has thus far been the best at doing that.

I'm really starting to look forward to this game.

Also, ignoring everything else, it's nice to finally know what Maya ended up looking like as an adult, after years of speculation and fan art.

Tookay

I haven't played the original three games in a while, but did other characters ever notice or refer to Maya channeling Mia and her appearance change? Or was it only observable to Phoenix?

FluxWaveZ

I haven't played the original three games in a while, but did other characters ever notice or refer to Maya channeling Mia and her appearance change? Or was it only observable to Phoenix?

No, other characters notice it. It's usually hand-waved away, but there are examples of characters like the Judge saying stuff like "The girl next to you seems... different, somehow," and Wright going "It's just your imagination!"

Dice//

Banned
Like her new design, good to have her back, cool that she's grown up a bit!! *sniff* They're all up so fast...!

I like Trucy more. :p

Hmm, I kinda wonder if they'll do 3D remake treatment for the first three games at some point; they've re-released it about a billion times over, so I wonder if that'd ever be in the cards.

Tookay

No, other characters notice it. It's usually hand-waved away, but there are examples of characters like the Judge saying stuff like "The girl next to you seems... different, somehow," and Wright going "It's just your imagination!"

Okay, guess I must have forgotten that part. They definitely downplayed it.

FluxWaveZ

I hope they don't play it off as if it's been years since Wright and Maya have met each other, though. AA4 and even AA5 implied that they still kept in touch and saw each other once in a while, so it'd be silly for AA6 to retcon that for dramatic effect.

Fandangox

The parrot cross examination feels ridiculous because the first game is fairly grounded outside of spirit channeling. This was before Wright had cross examined ghosts, robots, orcas and yokai. People seem eager to point out that part when saying the first game is just as out there as the newer ones, but I think it really shows the opposite.

So wouldn't that just mean that only the first game was somewhat grounded while the rest are not? You said "Series" not first game. Even then the series, from the first game, has always been way too wacky for something like channeling, which has been introduced since the first game, to seem weird. I don't even like the channeling plots, and specially a whole game of it, but it doesn't seem out of bounds with the series has always dealt with.

There's also a more important instance in which Godot notices and becomes really silent for a while as he tries to process it. He also notices again at the end of the game, in the famous finale to the final case.

MrBadger

So wouldn't that just mean that only the first game was somewhat grounded while the rest are not? You said "Series" not first game. Even then the series, from the first game, has always been way too wacky for something like channeling, which has been introduced since the first game, to seem weird. I don't even like the channeling plots, and specially a whole game of it, but it doesn't seem out of bounds with the series has always dealt with.

Well, that was more me going on a tangent on how the parrot cross examination's usually framed. But yeah, spirit channeling is the only aspect of the series that's supernatural, no matter how ludicrous other aspects are. Which is what I meant in my initial comment about why people dislike it.

But to be clear, despite my preferences, I'm totally down for anything Ace Attorney wants to do so long as it's written well. The spirit channeling was something I was iffy about when it's introduced (especially the way it was introduced) but I never had an issue with it staying.

Hmm, I kinda wonder if they'll do 3D remake treatment for the first three games at some point; they've re-released it about a billion times over, so I wonder if that'd ever be in the cards.

I'm hoping they'd do a remake in Apollo quality sprites, took me a long time to get used to 3D models.

Characters are ehh... really only get away because they're used just like their sprite counterparts, but when you view them outside of the usual angles they just look eh?
Also some expressions just don't work as well in my opinion (Athena's shock)

One thing they did well with the models were the eyes, they're just textures but they looked really good and its something 3D models can't compromise on.

I'm glad to see they're going to do more with the 3D models in AA6, especially for cut scenes - I swear many 3D Japanese games do not even bother with cut scenes anymore and go for the visual novel text base approach.
Which Ace Attorney is but, with 3D there's just more ways they can build the world and setting with.

Ugh, I ranted way too much.. I just thought it was a wasted opportunity not improving on AA4's sprites...

FluxWaveZ

I don't think the dog was shown during the stream, was it? Cute.

And of course, singing Jesus, in all his glory. I like that they adapted verses to the testimony, kinda like they did with Marlon Rimes in AA6.

Top Bottom