• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 27 Mar - 2 Apr

ioi

Banned
Mario 64 DS is doing better than Mario Advance:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Super+Mario+64+DS&name2=Super+Mario+Advance

And Mario Advance 2:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Super+Mario+64+DS&name2=Super+Mario+Advance+2

Mario and Luigi 2 is doing about the same, may possibly do better in the long run:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Mario+%2B+Luigi%3A+Superstar+Saga&name2=Mario+%2B+Luigi+2%3A+Partners+In+Time

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, Wario Ware etc etc. Have to wait and see how Starfi sells and others...

Mainly due to the legs it has had in the last few months with DS sales increasing as they have.

Does this not show that if anything, "traditional games" are benefiting from this success?

You know, I hope the 360 gets some momentum in Japan. That way we might some more Jap games for the system, and hopefully anime downloads on Western XBL.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Mr. Pointy:

> You know, I hope the 360 gets some momentum in Japan.

It won't. PS3 and Rev will be out before the "big" RPGs hit and then it'll be all over (as if it wasn't already).

> That way we might some more Jap games for the system, and hopefully anime
> downloads on Western XBL.

If you want Japanese games get a PS3 and/or Rev. In fact, you should be glad Xbox 360 is bombing because that means there's one less system that you need.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
It also outsold Gran Turismo 4... nice to see Mario reclaim the top racing spot in Japan. :)

I thought GT4's sales were pretty low in all regions. Wonder if Prologue and lack of online hurt it.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't like any of the top selling games on DS, but I do on GBA, N64 and GC. Is that a problem? Not too big, but it is for me if the trend is going to change into releasing more games like DS top selling ones.
I really don't think this is a long-term problem. As was pointed out in that Penny Arcade article months back, part of Nintendo's success is to try and get to some new genre or sub-genre first, and benefit from being the only choice at first, and the recognizable name later. They've done this with Brain Training. However, if 10 more publishers each release a Brain Training type game each year, it will be impossible for them all to have such high sales, and Nintendo will have the advantage due to being there first. Capcom might find it desirable to release a Brain game, but it's not going to be such an amazing success that they lose all desire to sell the Rockmans and Breath of Fires.

To make an analogy, there are many more reality television shows now than in 2000. However, on average they're far less successful than the first few big hits, and haven't caused the end of scripted shows.

mj1108

JoshuaJSlone said:
I really don't think this is a long-term problem. As was pointed out in that Penny Arcade article months back, part of Nintendo's success is to try and get to some new genre or sub-genre first, and benefit from being the only choice at first, and the recognizable name later. They've done this with Brain Training. However, if 10 more publishers each release a Brain Training type game each year, it will be impossible for them all to have such high sales, and Nintendo will have the advantage due to being there first. Capcom might find it desirable to release a Brain game, but it's not going to be such an amazing success that they lose all desire to sell the Rockmans and Breath of Fires.

To make an analogy, there are many more reality television shows now than in 2000. However, on average they're far less successful than the first few big hits, and haven't caused the end of scripted shows.

One huge advantage that Nintendo will have with the Brain Training titles over any competitor titles on any other systems (PSP, for instance) is the use of the touch screen. It makes it more interactive than just choosing "A, B, C or D".

cvxfreak

Not to mention the development of these titles... half a dozen people in a few months with minimal cost. The worst that might happen is the PSP losing much of its potential audience (adults) to the DS, but that's Sony's fault for not making a system that appeals enough to them in the first place.

Does someone have a rough figure of how many GBA-enabled players are in market in Japan right now? 20 Million?

RaijinFY

cvxfreak said:
I thought GT4's sales were pretty low in all regions. Wonder if Prologue and lack of online hurt it.

Lack of online? Unlikely IMO, but Prologue? Definitely in Japan at least.

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Does someone have a rough figure of how many GBA-enabled players are in market in Japan right now? 20 Million?
My rough guess would be...

9m GBA
7m NDS
6m GBA SP
.5m GB micro
.5m GC+GB Player

23m Total

DS sales from 09 jan to 03 apr 2005 : 528.393
DS sales from 08 jan to 02 apr 2006 : 1.212.791

PSP sales from 09 jan to 03 apr 2005 : 657.074
PSP sales from 08 jan to 02 apr 2006 : 552.494

need more comment?

RaijinFY

GT4 Prologue. ;)
It's a very very dumbed down version of the real GT4, like a demo, expect you have to pay it! Quite expensive moreover...

cvxfreak

RaijinFY said:
GT4 Prologue. ;)
It's a very very dumbed down version of the real GT4, like a demo, expect you have to pay it! Quite expensive moreover...

If I remember correctly, what's funny was that in Japan in 2003, there was a PS2 + Prologue Bundle, and in 2004 a GT4 + PStwo bundle. :lol :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
:lol I guess I could understand why a few people would be disgruntled after that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
RaijinFY said:
Last year PSP benefited from its launch hype. Actually, I thought It would have even been lower.
2005's PSP number would've been higher during that time if it wasn't for shortages.

Fuzzy

cvxfreak said:
Sounds like a certain other portable we know in the here and now. :p
I'm jumping ship until Mono is back, someone must fight the good fight. :D

I'm as serious as AniHawk's HW numbers.

donny2112

Moor-Angol said:
DS sales from 09 jan to 03 apr 2005 : 528.393
DS sales from 08 jan to 02 apr 2006 : 1.212.791

PSP sales from 09 jan to 03 apr 2005 : 657.074
PSP sales from 08 jan to 02 apr 2006 : 552.494

need more comment?

GBA sales to date in 2005: 238,360
GBA sales to date in 2006: 146,767

DS '06 vs. DS '05: 684,388
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -104,580
GBA '06 vs. GBA '05: -91,593

Therefore, in an absolute value of drop in system sales, GBA has lost fewer sales than PSP in 2006.
Relatively speaking, PSP is keeping more sales than GBA, though. :p

P.S. The shortage for the PSP was over by this point in 2005 (by February, I believe), and the back 'demand' had already been filled. ;)

P.P.S. Also, DS sales for this week in Japan last year were 43,023, not that 64K number posted earlier. Nintendogs' year anniversary isn't until April 21st.

JPNHandhelds.png

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
seems that DSL & DS in japan are fliyin of the selves yet. I believe that shortages wiull be surpased on may.

Did we ever get exact numbers for anything beyond the top ten? What good are you japan gaffers if you cant feed me Contact numbers?

Fuzzy

Probationsmack said:
Did we ever get exact numbers for anything beyond the top ten? What good are you japan gaffers if you cant feed me Contact numbers?
You'll have to wait until Famitsu posts the numbers for this week on Thursday.

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
I really wish Japan would import more DSes from the US to get our sales up :(

The only way hardware sales are important is if it sells games for third party developers. Japanese importers wouldnt be buying tony hawk's american sk8land. :[

donny2112 said:
The heck? Is that supposed to be sarcasm?
Why would it be? If 2 million DS systems were sold in the US this month but software sales were the same as they would've been at 100K sold, what difference would it make?

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Why would it be? If 2 million DS systems were sold in the US this month but software sales were the same as they would've been at 100K sold, what difference would it make?

Probationsmack said:
The only way hardware sales are important is if it sells games for third party developers.

That's what I'm saying "the heck?" to. That is incredibly stupid logic. If the world was only made up of third party developers, it would make sense, but considering that a first or second party game selling is still a sale, the statement is critically flawed.

Edit: I agree that 2 million systems being sold in the U.S. is almost meaningless if there aren't software sales to go along with it, but that isn't what Probationsmack was saying.

donny2112 said:
That's what I'm saying "the heck?" to. That is incredibly stupid logic. If the world was only made up of third party developers, it would make sense, but considering that a first or second party game selling is still a sale, the statement is critically flawed.

Edit: I agree that 2 million systems being sold in the U.S. is almost meaningless if there aren't software sales to go along with it, but that isn't what Probationsmack was saying.

nintendo supporting their hardware is a given. Good third party sales are what needs to happen so that we get continued support from said devs.

bebpo wasnt banned guys, and he's more of a braintraing hating person than a sony syncophant, although his preference for rpgs understandably pointed him to the playstation brand.

Cheebs

Probationsmack said:
bebpo wasnt banned guys, and he's more of a braintraing hating person than a sony syncophant, although his preference for rpgs understandably pointed him to the playstation brand.
He left on his own for a month. He may not be banned but he is gone.

donny2112

Probationsmack said:
Good third party sales are what needs to happen so that we get continued support from said devs.

If you care about their games coming to your system, agreed. However, that's not what you said.

Probationsmack said:
The only way hardware sales are important is if it sells games for third party developers.

Since when have third party sales been the driving force behind hardware sales for a Nintendo system? The only way that having good third party sales would make or break a system is if that was the main thing the system had going for it. From the third party's perspective, yes, third party sales are critical for continued support of a system. However from the system's perspective, game sales (from whatever source) is what matters.

Top Bottom