• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 27 Mar - 2 Apr

Raw64life

cvxfreak said:
DS + Lite LTD: 6,477,077

Wow.

The LTD is actually 6,859,743 if the numbers on game-science are correct. You took DS+DSL number from this week (209,247) and added them to just the original DS LTD from last week (6,267,803) instead of the DS+DSL LTD (6,650,469).

ahmad

Banned
LanceStern said:
6.9 million DS'S?! That's almost 7 MILLION DSES!!!

THAT'S ALMOST 10 MILLION DS'es in a year and a half!!!

THAT'S ALMOST 11 BILLION GAZZILLION DS'es in 2 years!!!!!

Yes, I looked at my chart and realized that was Nintendogs, since after that release PSP didn't outsell it again.

Gotta love landmarks

cvxfreak

kia said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think DS + Lite LTD = 6,859,716

Raw64life said:
The LTD is actually 6,859,743 if the numbers on game-science are correct. You took DS+DSL number from this week (209,247) and added them to just the original DS LTD from last week (6,267,803) instead of the DS+DSL LTD (6,650,469).

Hahahahahahaha. Oops!

:D

Archie said:
The thread where the Easter catchphrase started will turn a year old tomorrow. Time flies. :(

I was about to say...a year ago it was amazing that the DS outsold the PSP.

And now.... :lol

But its amazing that the DS and PSP sales are almost constant from a year ago. PSP hasnt suffured, and DS has...well, its the DS

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Archie said:
The thread where the Easter catchphrase started will turn a year old tomorrow. Time flies. :(

Good god, that's amazing. I wasn't a gaffer until August, I think, yet I feel as though I can remember being here. *sniff*

So what are we gonna call this Easter? Easter 2: The Reckoning? We have to plan these catchphrases ahead of time, people.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Add at least 850k (for April) to this number and the DS user base will be around 7.7m - 7.8m by the end of April. Another 700k for May and the number goes up to 8.5m by the end of May :D
A few months ago I predicted 12m DSs by the end of the year and it seems it'll be on track.

Hero

Archie said:

Jeez, really?

Can someone find the original post claiming Easter was the reason the DS was selling so well?

:lol

mj1108

Oblivion said:
Good god, that's amazing. I wasn't a gaffer until August, I think, yet I feel as though I can remember being here. *sniff*

So what are we gonna call this Easter? Easter 2: The Reckoning? We have to plan these catchphrases ahead of time, people.

We've had Easter, Easter Break (PSP ahead of DS because of shortages), MLK Day (PSP ahead of DS due to Martin Luther King Day) and now....I'm not sure what we're calling it. Easter 2: The Sound of Printing Money sounds good....

Anyone remember this?

CHARTOFSUCCESS2.jpg

Needs to be updated.

Shalomi said:
Holy shit, those numbers look so low now.
Nah, they're pretty close actually, with most of them actually being more...

except for the extra 150,000 DS Lites.

And wow...time really does fly, I specifically remember this pic:
readme.JPG

Add at least 850k (for April) to this number and the DS user base will be around 7.7m - 7.8m by the end of April. Another 700k for May and the number goes up to 8.5m by the end of May
A few months ago I predicted 12m DSs by the end of the year and it seems it'll be on track.

That might be stretching it. I say monthly it'll go:

APril: 750k
May: 670k

Yea? Not too much off but I don't think regular DS sales will keep that high.

Anyways, my OWN DS + Lite toal = 6,859,706

We can all agree it's in the 6,859,7XX range right?

mutsu

LanceStern said:

You forgot New Super Mario Bros is coming in May, even though it is end of May, it will still definitely boost even more sales of the DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Alcibiades said:
wtf, I don't even remember being involved in the easter discussion, yet I was one of the people who asked? lol
You started Easter and you didn't even know it.

Shalomi

PuertoRicanJuice said:
Nah, they're pretty close actually, with most of them actually being more...

except for the extra 150,000 DS Lites.

And wow...time really does fly, I specifically remember this pic:
readme.JPG

What I meant specifically was that the #10 seller on that chart was Donkey Konga 3 at around 15k units.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
LanceStern said:

Nintendo said 700k DS Lite in April, add another 150k (35k weekly) for regular DS (and I'm sure with this momentum and upcoming games, all of the shipments will be sold out quickly)

Golden Darkness said:
Anyone remember this?

CHARTOFSUCCESS2.jpg

Needs to be updated.

heh... ive always had issues with that chart. I feel like the ps2 is a bigger sucess than ps1. and since it is for a japan thread, the xbox "level" is ridiculous.

it also needs jobs. surely the nds would be a white mage as it has definitely put the heal on the japanese industry. plus it cast life on grandma-gaming.

Mrbob

Ok, DS numbers are up even with the DS Lite out. That is crazy.

Also, PSP numbers are rising too when a brand new 19,800 yen package has been announced for nearly a month. I don't get that either.

apotema

We should bring back all our classic GIF, specially Miyamoto and Iwata laughing, and Reggie pic saying "Not my problem"

After 5 weeks, DSL is 179,737 ahead of GBASP and 240,543 ahead of GBM. Actually, this week DS Lite passes Game Boy Micro's lifetime sales by over 60K.
20060407spgbmdslltd.png

After 5 weeks, "DS after DSL" is 103,080 ahead of "GBA after GBASP".
20060407gbadsltd.png

Adding DS and DSL, DS's share between DS and PSP is 85.0%, a new record for the third week in a row, not counting 100% launch week. The lifetime share goes to 68.0% DS and 32.0% PSP. This bests the recent peak of 67.8% the week of December 26, 2005. The last time the DS had a higher share was the week of February 7, 2005.

Another interesting thing to note. In making those charts earlier I was looking at numbers from 2002. We look at the GBA numbers and it seems like DS has eaten them up, but that's less the case than I thought. The year after the GBA released, GBC didn't even hit 100K; GBA has already passed 140K this year.

Emotions said:
Hmmmmmmm GBASP selling more than GBM weird....
That's been the case from GBM week 13 and on.

jamesinclair said:
Anyone have last years sales? I wouldnt be surprised if the original DS is selling HIGHER than at this week last year, completely disregarding the DSLite.
That is the case. The original model has outsold its 2005 self most weeks, with 3 exceptions. The weeks of January 30 and February 6 were shortages (February 6 was the 10K) week. And last week was 40K, which was down compared to last year's famous "Kirby + new colors + Easter" boost to 55K. For the full year, original model DS is up 28.8%. DS as a whole is up 129.5% compared to last year.

Alcibiades said:
wtf, I don't even remember being involved in the easter discussion, yet I was one of the people who asked? lol
Yeah, when the subject comes up I credit you for bringing it up and Amir0x for including it in his reply. :)

apotema

Hey what happened with Gentle Brain Training in the Famitsu charts? It vanished like 3 weeks ago for no reason apparent

Anyway, great numbers for DS, next week: nothing, then next week we will see Odama bomb (maybe), and Starfy 4, then week of April 20th we will see DBZ for PSP, Mother 3, FFXI and NNN for 360 (will they surpass the 5k level?), Ookami and Dragon Quest Yangus for PS2 and finally for DS we will see those maps or non-games from Nintendo, Thai, China ans South Korea

Usually, Id think to myself "this obviously has to end, the bubble will burst, and we'll be seeing 20,000 a week. Afterall, everybody who wants one will buy it".

But then I see PS2 sales holding steady....

Will 100,000+ a week be normal for the rest of the year? (combined DS)

Alcibiades

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, when the subject comes up I credit you for bringing it up and Amir0x for including it in his reply. :)
hmm, looking at the links make it a bit more familiar maybe... I do remember Easter being brought up, but the real significance came weeks later when it was still selling well and "easter" never seemed to end, then months later the joke kept going, and that's mostly what I remember... also I have been on-and-off with GAF depending on how busy I am, so maybe being away fuzzled my memory and of course not being active I might not have kept up with how the Easter thing developed over the course of a year...

I just sort of assumed that several members pointed as Easter having helped (don't know if I was one of them haven't looked through the whole thread or remember my thoughts from back then) but that it was so cool that the DS momentum didn't let up so everybody jokingly kept saying it was Easter the rest of the year...

ha, now I know I helped start it...

jamesinclair said:
Usually, Id think to myself "this obviously has to end, the bubble will burst, and we'll be seeing 20,000 a week. Afterall, everybody who wants one will buy it".

But then I see PS2 sales holding steady....

Will 100,000+ a week be normal for the rest of the year? (combined DS)

judging by the upcoming line-up, quite possibly. NSMB and Zelda PH are coming out plus there will certianly be a billion nongames. and was FFiii slated for this year? what about the c: dos sequel? seems like the DS is giving more and more reasons for gamers and nongamers alike.

EDIT: can we please get an updated GC v. 360 chart?

cvxfreak

Excellent work Joshua! It's amazing to see the DS Lite doing so well. It's also still possible that the original DS can reach 7 Million before being completely killed off (either by adequate DS Lite supply, loss of general interest, discontinuation, or all). I believe the original GBA reached about 9 Million.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
meltpotato said:
judging by the upcoming line-up, quite possibly. NSMB and Zelda PH are coming out plus there will certianly be a billion nongames. and was FFiii slated for this year? what about the c: dos sequel? seems like the DS is giving more and more reasons for gamers and nongamers alike.

If all else fails(chances are pretty damn slim now), Pokemon will save the day.

Top Bottom