• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Carbon for PS3...what the f**k is this shit? JAGGIEZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
GaimeGuy said:
Well, that was stupid! ;)

But seriously: unfortunately for you, you can't really play 360 or PS3 on an SDTV and expect good results. :/

Sure you can. All the other games look just fine.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
just curious... which 360 games are full of jaggies?? I haven't played one yet..
DOA4 was the worst 360 game as far as aliasing goes for me so far.
It's not so much polygon as shader aliasing though - but it's pretty damn awful (especially compared to other 360 titles I've seen).

As much as I'm enjoying playing it, Ridge Racer 6 has the worst jaggies on 360.

But I agree with this thread - NFSC PS3 is dreadful. I saw the PS3 running for the first time yesterday and that was the first game I saw. I honestly though it was the PS2.

Akira

Someone posts a thread complaining about jaggies in a PS3 game.

Someone replies with a comment on jaggies in a 360 game.

Defense Force indeed. Ridiculous.

p3tran

Banned
Fafalada said:
It's not so much polygon as shader aliasing though - but it's pretty damn awful (especially compared to other 360 titles I've seen).

I call

doa4as5.jpg

doa4-09.jpg

doa002ak2.jpg

;)

Brannon

...damn you all.

The real question is, before I fall asleep due to massive Yggdra Union/Enchanted Arms fatigue, how does it handle the microrapements on PS3? Hard hitting question right there!

f@luS

More than a member.
nice replay shot for DOA...u can show aliasing like that yeah.
anyway , the game doesnt have that much aliasing , but the market arena , has really a lot of aliasing and stuff , really not good looking arena....but overall its ok

f@luS

More than a member.
flipswitch said:
Um, there's virtually no jaggies in GOW, I think you may need collaborate your set man.It looks very clean.I posted some images on another gaming forum just to show how well it looks.
dsc0004752x500md8.jpg
while u dont move its looking perfect , if you move , u can see its not as clean at all...still good looking of course

Xavien

[Nintex] said:
I sure hope for Sony that Nvidia fixed that problem. Is the geforce 8800 capable of that?

The 8800GTX/GTS is capable of 128-bit HDR (most HDR right now in games is either 32 or 64-bit) and 16xAA at the same time. So yes they fixed that problem and then some.

Shame, because the RSX is based on the 7-series and still has that glaring flaw. Ofcourse we all know that ATI's newer GPU's do not have that problem at all, which explains how the Xbox 360 can do FSAA and HDR at the same time.

But ofcourse there are two different types of HDR on games right now, the HDR that the source engine (HL2) uses (which 7-series cards can perform FSAA on) and the other kind that Farcry, Oblivion and others use (which 7-series cards cant perform FSAA on), which makes me think that Oblivion on the PS3 is going to be a jaggy-fest.

ram

Tellaerin said:
If PS3 and X360 boxes were labelled 'HDTV only - this product is not compatible with SD televisions', you might have a point. But since they're not, developers still have a responsibility to accomodate gamers with standard-definition sets. That means readable fonts for SD displays (I'm looking at you, Capcom) and no ultra-jaggy images at SD resolutions. Don't make excuses for developer laziness.

what should europeans do? half of the xbox360 games running only in 60Hz on SD TV? and if you have an uber old tv, you cant play the games at all. my point is, if you dont have an hd tv now, you dont need to buy a next gen console, stick with ps2, xbox whatever. but if you buy an next gen console, without having a hd tv, dont complain about the issues.

developers should concentrate to make the games look best on hd resolutions.

mintosen said:
So PS3 @1080P is a jagfest if HDR16 is used?
or is it just notable at 720P?
:(
Depends. There are multiple implementations of AA as well as multiple implementations of HDR. Additionally, some games use tricks to give the illusion of AA without actually carrying out FSAA or MSAA, like Gears of War. It all comes down to the engine and the developer, basically.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mintosen said:
So PS3 @1080P is a jagfest if HDR16 is used?
or is it just notable at 720P?
:(

Seems to echo my experience from TGS showfloor, where all the games were running on Bravia X series 1080p panels - Resistance, Motorstorm, DMC4 and Warhawk all had lots of jaggies.

Interestingly the ones not having this problem were Heavenly Sword and Genji - it seems there is a rule set in PS3 silicon "IF GAME BASED ON ACCURATE JAPANESE HISTORY, THEN JAGGIES = OFF".

p3tran

Banned
Chittagong said:
Seems to echo my experience from TGS showfloor, where all the games were running on Bravia X series 1080p panels - Resistance, Motorstorm, DMC4 and Warhawk all had lots of jaggies.

Interestingly the ones not having this problem were Heavenly Sword and Genji - it seems there is a rule set in PS3 silicon "IF GAME BASED ON ACCURATE JAPANESE HISTORY, THEN JAGGIES = OFF".
:) ...then H.S. better be pouring giant crabs from the sky

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pimpbaa said:
If the RSX is based on the Geforce 7 series, then he is right. It cannot do AA and FP16 HDR at the same time.

If only there was something like - not sure what the technical term is, but lets call it 'another chip'. This 'other chip' might be able to help out with some of that, rather than just being forced to leave all graphics creation up to the RSX.

Such a shame Sony only put the RSX in there...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
what set up were you playing on?
Samsung LCDs - the same type MS mainly used for demoing 360 (I've got one at home, and every XBox kiosk here seems to use them). It looked particularly bad side by side with some other 360 titles.

again, i have issues with DOA4, but jaggies ain't one of them :/
Jaggies is the wrong word I guess - the closest analogy I would have is the type of aliasing that is prevalent in most PS2 games and most Japanese developed XBox games (thanks to Japanese devs dislike of mipmaps and filtering) - where highly inclined surfaces would have lots of pixel crawl.
Except that in DOA4 as far as I can tell it's shader aliasing as opposed to texture sampling alone (specular and reflective stuff suffers most from it). It's most noticeable in motion as opposed to screenshots.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Luckyman said:
Good luck finding jaggies in Resistance.

like said, I've only seen it in trade shows. Once in E3 and once in TGS. Both times it was running on a 1080P 46X2000 panel, and out of those only in TGS it had huge jaggies on that. Have you seen the launch version on a 1080p and can confirm no jaggies? If so, great!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Fafalada said:

Can't say I've ever noticed that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chittagong said:
like said, I've only seen it in trade shows. Once in E3 and once in TGS. Both times it was running on a 1080P 46X2000 panel, and out of those only in TGS it had huge jaggies on that. Have you seen the launch version on a 1080p and can confirm no jaggies? If so, great!
Every 720p game looks fairly jaggy on a 1080p panel.

Resistance is insanely clean on a 720p display, however. It's much cleaner than, say, Gears of War or basically any other shooter on the 360.

p3tran

Banned
Fafalada said:
Samsung LCDs - the same type MS mainly used for demoing 360 (I've got one at home, and every XBox kiosk here seems to use them). It looked particularly bad side by side with some other 360 titles.

Jaggies is the wrong word I guess - the closest analogy I would have is the type of aliasing that is prevalent in most PS2 games and most Japanese developed XBox games (thanks to Japanese devs dislike of mipmaps and filtering) - where highly inclined surfaces would have lots of pixel crawl.
Except that in DOA4 as far as I can tell it's shader aliasing as opposed to texture sampling alone (specular and reflective stuff suffers most from it). It's most noticeable in motion as opposed to screenshots.
I really don't know how can you say that!
every graphic detail that one can accuse DOA4 of not being excellent is only noticed in still shots.
when in motion, its flawless.

anyway, however you try to put it, you must understand that you are WAY out of reality when you go saying stuff like "DOA is pretty damn awful", "has the worst aliasing" etc.

Resistance didn't have any noticable jaggies as far as I could tell. But it did have some crappy textures. Enemies looked great - high poly counts, nice details etc. But when they're laying down dead on a floor that looks lifted straight out of a PS2 game it wasn't quite so impressive. Also, there were barely any next gen effects being used - paralax mapping am cry.

Shompola

Banned
mrklaw said:
If only there was something like - not sure what the technical term is, but lets call it 'another chip'. This 'other chip' might be able to help out with some of that, rather than just being forced to leave all graphics creation up to the RSX.

Such a shame Sony only put the RSX in there...

CELL help with AA? Sounds like bad design if a game manages to do that.. Unless a major part of the rendering pipe line is put on CELL for whatever bizarre reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kid Chameleon said:
paralax mapping am cry.

when its looks as shit as PDZ you can keep your parallax mapping. Although I'm only up to the conversion depot in Resistance and it does look fairly bland, I hold out hope based on recent posts from Bebpo that it'll pick up later on

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Jaggies is the wrong word I guess - the closest analogy I would have is the type of aliasing that is prevalent in most PS2 games and most Japanese developed XBox games (thanks to Japanese devs dislike of mipmaps and filtering) - where highly inclined surfaces would have lots of pixel crawl.
Except that in DOA4 as far as I can tell it's shader aliasing as opposed to texture sampling alone (specular and reflective stuff suffers most from it). It's most noticeable in motion as opposed to screenshots.<<<

This is exactly what I see. Polygon edges are really clean, though.

anti-aliasing costs fillrate and bandwidth on RSX, and that's NOT a good thing when the fillrate & bandwidth is low (for HD resolutions) to begin with.

p3tran

Banned
vspectra06 said:
I haven't seen any aliasing in DOA4 either. It's actually one of the most clean 360 games I have.

del8bu2.jpg

&#927;WW!!! MY EYES!!! PLEASE HIDE THIS PIECE OF FREAKIN' ATROCITY AND WORST JAG FEST OF AWFUL GRAPHICS AND PIXEL CRAWL EVER ON 360, RIGHT NOW!!!!!

/buys fafalada a pair of glasses

DOA4 has really bad jaggies on my sony wega 30 inch HDTV. It is the CRT version.

However I have heard the game is rendered at 1080p and scaled down, perhaps it looks funky on 1080i sets and better on 720p?

Not sure but yea the jags were bad, the only real game 've owned for the X360 with bad jaggies.

The battlefield and Prey demo had bad jags on my set too.

Gears doesn't, looks amazing on every technical level.

Raistlin

Xavien said:
Shame, because the RSX is based on the 7-series and still has that glaring flaw. Ofcourse we all know that ATI's newer GPU's do not have that problem at all, which explains how the Xbox 360 can do FSAA and HDR at the same time.

fp10

[EDIT - what the **** is up with GAF? This thread showed up on the front page. The most recent post (other than this) was last year?

4D?]

Banned
EBCubs03 said:
Is NFS Carbon Wii out? I don't think I've seen any reviews for it, but I dunno.

I've got it, basically a gamecube game, but for some reason i'm really loving it. The Wiimote with Nunchuk makes a great, ergonomic & truely ambidexterous standard controller!

And holy pants that DOA photo looks graphically amazing!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
Every 720p game looks fairly jaggy on a 1080p panel.

:/

I'm so confused about whether or not upgrading my set from 720p to 1080p.

Looks like 720p is better than 1080p for gaming after all. I know there are 1080p games out or coming out, but I couldn't stand the jaggies on the 720p ones.

Does anybody know if HDMI 1.3 will be supported by 720p panels or is there some kind of rule which ties HDMI 1.3 to just the 1080p panels?

Raistlin

TTP said:
:/

I'm so confused about whether or not upgrading my set from 720p to 1080p.

Looks like 720p is better than 1080p for gaming after all. I know there are 1080p games out or coming out, but I couldn't stand the jaggies on the 720p ones.

Does anybody know if HDMI 1.3 will be supported by 720p panels or is there some kind of rule which ties HDMI 1.3 to just the 1080p panels?

Not sure what dark10x is talking about.

720p games do not always look jaggie on 1080p TV's ... it matters the scaler in the TV, and the game.

I have a 55" 1080p SXRD ... and have not noticed extra jaggies due to the upscaling. For example, Resistance is pretty jag-free.

DOA4 looks amazing on my samsung 940mw, why are people saying its "jaggy"?... oh you mean slight lack of polygons on round corners? that's not exactly a pixel jaggy is it.

Still looks amazing for a near launch game, haters burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom