• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL QB Colin Kaepernick sits during Nat. Anthem; cites America's oppression of POC

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that still gets me is something that Trump said in the debate with which I actually agree. It was something to the effect of "Politicians only make promises during election season and then it's the same old thing after the election is over." He was grasping at straws at that point and I really doubt he believed what he said, but there's a lot of truth to that. With that said, one important step is to not just vote for the presidential race, but to vote for local and congressional races. Change has to happen in all areas of the government.

atr0cious

Like what?

Uh....
The maybe future president of America is admitting there is racial bias, that we have to completely change policing, that we need to raise the minimum wage, to finish what she started with universal healthcare and better education for all children, not just liberal cities, and you want to ask when.

Don't vote then, but don't complain, because you're the enabler.

The maybe future president of America is admitting there is racial bias, that we have to completely change policing, that we need to raise the minimum wage, to finish what she started with universal healthcare and better education for all children, not just liberal cities, and you want to ask when.

Don't vote then, but don't complain, because you're the enabler.
When did I say I wasn't going to vote?

Everything there is basic Democrat stuff in 2016. Really?

Trump has got you guys losing your minds.

Causes without critical analysis to improve aren't worth shit. Causes that don't actively fight against being complacent and accepting of lesser options will succumb to them.

What are you even saying? "Don't say don't vote" if you really just mean "don't say bad things about Hillary because we need her" is weak as fuck. Dude can say anything he wants just like he can take a knee anywhere he wants.

Calling someone a lesser shade of evil is not actually critical analysis you know.

Ryzaki009

This doesn't take away from what Hillary is doing, especially when it could mean losing votes. For kaep to say they're the same, especially at a time when change can truly happen, shows he'd rather look a leader than be one.
They should.

I'm not saying anything about Hillary. I'm just saying Obama literally couldn't do the same because the his blowblack would've been massive.

One thing that still gets me is something that Trump said in the debate with which I actually agree. It was something to the effect of "Politicians only make promises during election season and then it's the same old thing after the election is over." He was grasping at straws at that point and I really doubt he believed what he said, but there's a lot of truth to that. With that said, one important step is to not just vote for the presidential race, but to vote for local and congressional races. Change has to happen in all areas of the government.

This is exactly right, and terrible turnout for anything outside of a general election is the reason why even the strongest politician isn't gonna be able to keep all their promises, either because they don't have a progressive majority in the first place, or not enough time to do what actually needs to be done.

Young people don't understand this, and they fucking need to.

I mean that's not really true either.

Politicians, at the Presidential level, keep most of their promises.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/

atr0cious

Kaepernick has clearly read a lot of revolutionary writing, and he's coming at this whole election from that most basic of perspectives. Any BLM leader would tell you the same things as him, because it's on their website. When they talk about "state violence," do you think Hillary as a politician is exempt from that criticism?
so because kap is just now reading up means everyone else's work means nothing, got it. She can share a small part of the blame for publicly supporting as the first lady, but not only was the bill called for by blacks, no one expected to be so gross in it's reach. And I don't see anyone yelling at uncle Joe for writing the fucking thing. Besides that, she's apologized for it and has policy plans to reverse the effects.
When did I say I wasn't going to vote?

Everything there is basic Democrat stuff in 2016. Really?

Trump has got you guys losing your minds.
This isn't the time to be a fence sitter. This is something doctor who can't fix, it's a moment to choose the right side. 20 years from now, fine, play both sides, but to act like right now doesn't matter is farcical. You must vote and vote Democrat to save this country.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this is not the time for "lesser of two evils". he knows god damn well comparing clinton to trump on the evil scale is about the same as comparing a pin prick on your finger to getting your arms and legs chopped off.

as for his issue with clinton, it's pretty clear it's regarding race/minorities since he specifically says "they're trying to debate who is less racist". there is no debate about that. this isn't the time to second guess, or to bring the two into the same arena (i.e. both are evil!). it is a dangerous position to take because he does have a lot of supporters, and those supporters could come out and say "you know what... they are both evil! i'm not voting for either one of them!" a non-vote for clinton is a vote for trump in my eyes. and trumps policies/ideas as they relate to minorities are infinitely worse than clinton's so he needs to cut this shit out. it's the second time he has attacked clinton and trump as president will make things drastically worse so whatever he thinks about clinton he needs to make it clear that there is no real comparison. constructive criticism is great but again this isn't the time to boiling it down to "the lesser of two evils"
i actually didnt have a problem with Hillary's answer about the race stuff. I mean she hit the highlights of causes and solutions and she did it in 2 minutes. Not really sure what Kaep expects out of a politician in two minutes.

This isn't the time to be a fence sitter. This is something doctor who can't fix, it's a moment to choose the right side. 20 years from now, fine, play both sides, but to act like right now doesn't matter is farcical. You must vote and vote Democrat to save this country.
It feels like you're exclusively viewing this election from the lens of Democrat vs Republican than as a full system. I'm not fence sitting anything; I'm voting for Hillary Clinton. You're being ridiculous with this telling people who to vote for shit.

It's still appropriate and factual to call her a liar and lawbreaker just like it's appropriate and factual to talk about Obama's drone strikes and unprecedented amount of deportations of immigrants. I don't give a fuck about the two parties because I don't associate with either of them right now. Hillary's objectively the better choice, but nothing Kaep has said about her is wrong.

atr0cious

It feels like you're exclusively viewing this election from the lens of Democrat vs Republican than as a full system.
No I'm viewing it as a white supremacy continues vs not point of view. You keep adding to what I'm saying instead of taking me at my word. It seems your sexism won't let you give Hillary credit for her extensive history working for us.

damisa

Calling someone a lesser shade of evil is not actually critical analysis you know.

Agreed. It's incredibly intellectually lazy and uninformed. If you want to get into semantics then everyone has some evil in them because we're all imperfect human beings, but when you use the phrase "lesser of 2 evils" You are saying that both options will result in black lives getting worse, just one would get worse less. There is absolutely no reason to believe this unless you are an ignorant

i fully support BLM continuing to protest and hold politicians accountable, but you super left people throwing these crazy exaggerations (Hillary is a white supremacist? Wtf) are only hurting your own cause and making left leaning people think you're all nut cases

It feels like you're exclusively viewing this election from the lens of Democrat vs Republican than as a full system. I'm not fence sitting anything; I'm voting for Hillary Clinton. You're being ridiculous with this telling people who to vote for shit.

It's still appropriate and factual to call her a liar and lawbreaker just like it's appropriate and factual to talk about Obama's drone strikes and unprecedented amount of deportations of immigrants. I don't give a fuck about the two parties because I don't associate with either of them right now. Hillary's objectively the better choice, but nothing Kaep has said about her is wrong.

So, Hillary belongs in prison?

So, Hillary belongs in prison?
You guys have been spending too much time arguing with fucking racists online. I don't care about any of this partisan politics shit, and I don't give a shit about her being in prison or not. I'm voting for her, and I'll be glad if she moves fast on racial justice issues, but my perspective is that right now she's pandering to white America worried about racists just like Donald Trump is doing the same thing to diet racists who don't know it. I'd love to be proven wrong, just like I'm assuming Kaep would.

atr0cious

You guys have been spending too much time arguing with fucking racists online. I don't care about any of this partisan politics shit, and I don't give a shit about her being in prison or not.
You should read your tag and reflect on 30 years of targeted harassment on someone championing you and yours and how they feel knowing you lump them in with their attackers.

captive

You guys have been spending too much time arguing with fucking racists online. I don't care about any of this partisan politics shit, and I don't give a shit about her being in prison or not. I'm voting for her, and I'll be glad if she moves fast on racial justice issues, but my perspective is that right now she's pandering to white America worried about racists just like Donald Trump is doing the same thing to diet racists who don't know it.

A) why did you bring it up if you dont care
B) what law, specifically, did she break?

You should read your tag and reflect on 30 years of targeted harassment on someone championing you and yours and how they feel knowing you lump them in with their attackers.
What does this have to do with anything I've said about her? Have you even read anything I've ever said about Hillary? Even in this very thread, I acknowledged she likely has to be "evil" to be a successful woman in politics for this long:

I'm not about to throw Kaep under the bus because he called her evil. Dude's right, even if she has to be to be a successful woman in politics.

You guys are going out there just because you saw something bad said about Hillary. You're not even taking in the contexts.

I'm looking for some clarification here, Kaep has said this, so was this factual, appropriate and responsible? Does this help the cause?
If your concern is "the cause" over what's right, you're really no better than your political opponents. :/ I have no interest in anyone towing party lines over something as fucking monumental and oppressive as institutional racism.

Law breaker? Not factual

Liar? Define liar because she's the most honest politician out of any of the ones who ran in either primary and is about as much of a truth teller as Obama.

So not really factual either.

captive

I think the point is that Kaepernick said that if anybody else did what she did with the e-mails, she'd "be in prison."

kaep and anyone else who says that are patently wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-womack/stop-pretending-you-dont-_b_12191766.html
When the Bush administration was discovered to have erased millions of emails illegally sent by 22 administration officials through private, RNC-owned accounts, in order to thwart an investigation into the politically motivated firing of eight US attorneys, just one talk show covered it that Sunday.

When Mitt Romney wiped servers, sold government hard drives to his closest aides and spent $100,000 in taxpayer money to destroy his administration’s emails, it was barely an issue.

When Hillary Clinton asked Colin Powell how he managed to use a Blackberry while serving as Secretary of State, he replied by detailing his method of intentionally bypassing federal record-keeping laws:

I didn’t have a Blackberry. What I did do was have a personal computer that was hooked up to a private phone line (sounds ancient.) So I could communicate with a wide range of friends directly without it going through the State Department servers. I even used it to do business with some foreign leaders and some of the senior folks in the Department on their personal email accounts. I did the same thing on the road in hotels.

... There is a real danger. If it is public that you have a BlackBerry and it it [sic] government and you are using it, government or not, to do business, it may become an official record and subject to the law.

Yet the fact that Hillary Clinton emailed through a private server and didn’t use it to cover anything up is somehow the defining issue of her campaign. “My God,” people cry, “anyone else would be in jail!”

Law breaker? Not factual

Liar? Define liar because she's the most honest politician out of any of the ones who ran in either primary and is about as much of a truth teller as Obama.

So not really factual either.
It's been a while since I've been on the other side of lefty GAF!

Hillary's great. I loved her debate performance, I think she'll be phenomenal as a general leader, and I think she has the experience, qualifications, and temperament necessary to be president. I also think she's generally honest, and a hell of a lot more honest than Trump. I also think Kaep's perspective on her is valuable and informed, and I think she needs to be held accountable for her positions and the changes she enacts for minorities in America.

Big difference, and you're the one pretending context doesn't exist, instead using some nebulous "opinion is a fact" logic.
Explain.

atr0cious

If your concern is "the cause" over what's right, you're really no better than your political opponents. :/ I have no interest in anyone towing party lines over something as fucking monumental and oppressive as institutional racism.
Literally no clue what you're talking about now.

If Martin Luther king told jfk to fuck off and keep him in prison, doubtful the civil right act happens.

I mean, would it be totally unreasonable to say Hillary has platooned her numbers with white voters for the sake of reaching out and appealing to minorities more so than any other candidate in history?

Even Obama, in regards to language and policy didn't go as far as she is right now from what I can remember. Like not only is she not pandering to white voters who don't want any part of these sorts of conversations, she isn't even trying.

She really could have played the "all lives matter", "both sides", "protest but take the flag out of it!" arguments this cycle due to how off the rails Trump has gone, but she hasn't.

Literally no clue what you're talking about now.

If Martin Luther king told jfk to fuck off and keep him in prison, doubtful the civil right act happens.
I'm speaking to DontBeThatGuy's statements in the last few of his posts about a vague "cause" he wants to protect, and my assumption from their words and context is that holding Hillary accountable for change isn't as important right now as putting her in a position to make it. To me this feels very similar to the Bernie protest threads, but I might be misreading their intent.

It's been a while since I've been on the other side of lefty GAF!

Hillary's great. I loved her debate performance, I think she'll be phenomenal as a general leader, and I think she has the experience, qualifications, and temperament necessary to be president. I also think she's generally honest, and a hell of a lot more honest than Trump. I also think Kaep's perspective on her is valuable and informed, and I think she needs to be held accountable for her positions and the changes she enacts for minorities in America.

Explain.

The extent of Kaepernick insight into Clinton is that she's a shade of evil, a liar and a criminal.

Things you previously defended as factual...

But now you just said you believe she generally tells the truth... so that makes her factually not a liar.

We know she's not a criminal. The FBI literally said no one would go to jail and that the only way they'd ever have treated Clinton specially or differently is if they had arrested her. So again not factual.

That leaves us with a shade of evil and that's frankly the least factual of them all... soooo...

Where is the informed perspective on her?

Like I said you can't just call someone evil and call it a day.

It needs to be more than emotions, there needs to be solutions.

Saying Hillary is a criminal that belong in prison isn't what's right, it's just not, and it's a dangerous thought to put into the minds of impressionable young folk, particularly during this election. It's not about toeing the line, it's about using the system that's in place to your advantage, in order make and maintain progress, as incremental as it might turn out to be. You need young people to understand this, not turn them against the process, potentially leading to decades of running in place, if not something worse.

damisa

I like how lui kang's trying to change the subject into accountability now. Like calling someone an evil liar who should be in jail and a white supremacist is totally fine because it can hold people accountable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shes called black youth predators before.

"Super Predators" and I'm not about revisionist history, but you should look at both her subsequent apologies and the context at the time. There was genuine, widespread, albeit completely unscientific belief that drugs and crime were expressions of something more fundamentally "evil" than what they were - which was expressions of poverty and the now-obvious result of a pointless and badly articulated "war on drugs."

The Clinton government absolutely dropped the ball, but so did everyone at the time. Drugs were a boogeyman and a distraction from the real problems of race and poverty at the time. And of course black folks suffered the most from this political and moral catastrophe - but the idea that those beliefs were somehow formed ina vacuum is wrong. At the time, this stuff was popular in both black and white communities as a potential solution to gang violence, the crack epidemic, etc etc. Of course African American communities quickly realized what was actually happening was morally indefensible abuse of the law and social charters.

Now we look back on it the same way Surgeons look at leeches. It's shameful and awful. But we've learned from it and are making changes to the war on drugs (finally) that Hillary has acknowledged and now supports.

If you want to say they're both the same (Colin) then you should look at their current beliefs and statements. Because when Hillary was saying that stuff, Trump was calling for the literal lynching of innocent black teens, and has ridden a wave of racism to his present prominence.

Kaep is welcome to say both sides are shitty, because they are, in countless ways, but to say they're both equally shitty is ignoring the difference between pellets of rabbit feces and the dinosaur mound from Jurassic Park.

If Trump is elected this fall, the Supreme Court will become a rubber stamp for Tea Party and Race-driven religious garbage and corporatism.

It's like a cult of personality . It's all emotion, no solutions.
That's what I'm saying!

Saying Hillary is a criminal that belong in prison isn't what's right, it's just not, and it's a dangerous thought to put into the minds of impressionable young folk, particularly during this election.
Yo, people can think for themselves. It's not like I've needed to be coddled to avoid seeing that statement all over the Internet. Critical thinking skills are more important than protecting some hypothetical innocence, because that's what makes a person analyze that statement instead of believing it outright.

I like how lui kang's trying to change the subject into accountability now. Like calling someone an evil liar who should be in jail and a white supremacist is totally fine because it can hold people accountable.
This is the quote from the post that started this whole thing. I'm aware of his past comments about emails and jail, which is what I imagine is the context for the liars part of this quote:

“I watched a little bit of it,” Kaepernick told reporters, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “To me it was embarrassing to watch that these are our two candidates. Both are proven liars and it almost seems they’re trying to debate who’s less racist. At this point . . . you have to pick the lesser of two evils but in the end it’s still evil.”
"they’re trying to debate who’s less racist" is very important to analyze here, because this thread is focusing on the emails and lying history.

damisa

That's what I'm saying!

Yo, people can think for themselves. It's not like I've needed to be coddled to avoid seeing that statement all over the Internet. Critical thinking skills are more important than protecting some hypothetical innocence, because that's what makes a person analyze that statement instead of believing it outright.

Maybe Trayvon Martin really deserved to be killed. Who cares about hypothetical innocence. He could have been a thug that deserved to be killed. People can think for themselves

The extent of Kaepernick insight into Clinton is that she's a shade of evil, a liar and a criminal.

Things you previously defended as factual...

But now you just said you believe she generally tells the truth... so that makes her factually not a liar.

We know she's not a criminal. The FBI literally said no one would go to jail and that the only way they'd ever have treated Clinton specially or differently is if they had arrested her. So again not factual.

That leaves us with a shade of evil and that's frankly the least factual of them all... soooo...

Where is the informed perspective on her?

Like I said you can't just call someone evil and call it a day.

Somebody give me the 411 on her involvement in the prison industrial complex. So you are saying that private prison lobbyist didn't pay her to vote against prison reforms?

kinggroin

Banned
No I'm viewing it as a white supremacy continues vs not point of view. You keep adding to what I'm saying instead of taking me at my word. It seems your sexism won't let you give Hillary credit for her extensive history working for us.

Whoa, wtf did I miss here?

atr0cious

This is the quote from the post that started this whole thing. I'm aware of his past comments about emails and jail, which is what I imagine is the context for the liars part of this quote:

"they’re trying to debate who’s less racist" is very important to analyze here, because this thread is focusing on the emails and lying history.
So non truth is something you think should be repeated by the black youth vote of America, especially those listening and learning from kap right now. You can't be this obtuse.

That's what I'm saying!

How the fuck is calling her a criminal an act of critical thinking?

Do you actually understand what critical thinking is?

Dude Abides

Banned
Why would anyone care what he says about the election? It's great he had the balls to protest against police brutality in such a visible way but that doesn't make him some deep or insightful thinker.

PopeReal

Kaepernick dividing us, y'all..😢

And I didn't mean it to be that way. I just kind of was surprised when I saw the clip on the news this morning.

In the end, it is not a big deal. The goal is the same. The focus is the same. Just think of how much the spotlight has increased recently because of Kap.

Infinite

Honestly why does it matter if he's not enthusiastic about Hillary, saying she's the lesser of two evils? He didn't say he wasn't voting and he definitely didn't say he was voting for Trump. if Colin feels she's not a complete candidate by his standards especially in regards to what she's actually gonna do in regards to instutional racism and what her foreign policy agenda is going to look like then he is free to think that. I hardly think that takes away from the movement he started because he isn't singing the praises of your favorite candidate. Personally I'm very pragmatic and I will be casting my vote for the candidate who won't go out their way to oppress minorities and nothing from Kaep's statement says he won't be doing the same. Please relax guys.

Lui Kang admitted she's been fighting for her entire life for us and is the most qualified candidate, but thinks a football player who read some headlines at the most has a "better read" than all her black supporters.
Literally not even close to what I've been saying.

Honestly why does it matter if he's not enthusiastic about Hillary, saying she's the lesser of two evils? He didn't say he wasn't voting and he definitely didn't say he was voting for Trump. if Colin feels she's not a complete candidate by his standards especially in regards to what she's actually gonna do in regards to instutional racism and what her foreign policy agenda is going to look like then he is free to think that. I hardly think that takes away from the movement he started because he isn't singing the praises of your favorite candidate. Personally I'm very pragmatic and I will be casting my vote for the candidate who won't go out their way to oppress minorities and nothing from Kaep's statement says he won't be doing the same. Please relax guys.
This.

How the fuck is calling her a criminal an act of critical thinking?

Do you actually understand what critical thinking is?
How do you guys agree with me so much elsewhere but then turn into this when it's about Hillary? Was I also not using critical thinking all the times we agreed?

phanphare

Banned
Kaep is welcome to say both sides are shitty, because they are, in countless ways, but to say they're both equally shitty is ignoring the difference between pellets of rabbit feces and the dinosaur mound from Jurassic Park.

did he ever say that both sides are equally shitty though? he used the age old "lesser of two evils" phrase which comes with the given that one is not equal to the other.

signed

atr0cious

Why would anyone care what he says about the election? It's great he had the balls to protest against police brutality in such a visible way but that doesn't make him some deep or insightful thinker.
Because right now he represents something blacks have been clamoring for. When he was just a bench warmer you could say he was a nobody, now he's a civil rights icon, and for him to be ignorant at a very particular time in our history, if trump wins, could be viewed as betrayal when history shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom