• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge |OT| - Slightly unf*cked, now for PS3/360

TylerD

So it looks like the verdict on this is I should just continue to play NGS2 and maybe pick this up when it goes bargain bin?

NGS2 for PS3 turned into one of my favorite games of this generation. That, and it doesn't make my PS3 go into vacuum cleaner fan mode :/

danmaku

So it looks like the verdict on this is I should just continue to play NGS2 and maybe pick this up when it goes bargain bin?

NGS2 for PS3 turned into one of my favorite games of this generation. That, and it doesn't make my PS3 go into vacuum cleaner fan mode :/

Try the demo. The combat is very similar to NG2, to the point that it could be a standalone expansion pack.

collectibles are done right in this game. i found 47/50 scarabs and all skulls on my first pt. no bullshit.

i don't regret the purchase. the core game is fun.

isual

This game is fun as hell. Am I the only one that noticed the input lag is far less severe than in the demo ?

so much content, so much replayability. Worth 35 USD definitely

Mesharey

Oh well I have 47/50 scarab, I don't know where the rest are, I don't want to play all the chapters. :/
I think Ayane's levels. -.-"

TylerD

Playing the demo now and right after playing NGS2 i'm not really enjoying it. Playing on normal with Ryu and fighting the Tetris Sphere-spamming mages.

Eww. I don't get the sense of total control that I am used to with Ryu :(

My favorite part so far is the title music.

edit: Ayane is awesome. Why does Ayane feel better than Ryu FUCKING Hayabusa?

edit: OK, Ryu with lvl 2 talons is pretty good :)

I'm warming to it now. Starting to get the fighting flow down a bit.

danmaku

Ryu is slower in this game, and his moves have more recovery frame than before, so he feels less responsive. Gotta get used to it (also, the demo seems to have more input lag than the final game). Ayane is faster but she does less damage.

I'm on day 5 of my hard playthrough and so far I only had problems at a couple of bosses (day2 and day3 -
the helicopter fight is sooo awful
). On the other hand, day4 boss is really fun, and fighting normal enemies is amazing. I don't mind the repetitive waves of enemies, there are so many ways to take them down that it never feels boring. The "dream" parts, when Ryu fights the curse, are ridiculous; the soldiers go for red attacks much more often so you're tearing through them with crazy SoB chains all the time.

Aske

Ryu is slower in this game, and his moves have more recovery frame than before, so he feels less responsive. Gotta get used to it (also, the demo seems to have more input lag than the final game). Ayane is faster but she does less damage.

You're right that Ryu is designed to be somewhat slower and heavier, but the kunoichi seem to tear through enemies with power appropriate to their weapons and fighting styles rather than their stature. I'd swear I was bringing down larger enemies quicker with Kasumi than I was with Ryu; and despite wielding swords, she and Ayane both seem to take off limbs with the frequency of Ryu's claws rather than his katana.

Again, I have to say Kasumi is still the best thing about this game. So swift, and so brutal. Her combo strings are butter smooth, her UT is like a blender, and I never get tired of seeing that flying swallow OT.

Iorv3th

How is the framerate on hard mode? For vanilla 3 I turned into the german kid slamming his keyboard and cursing at the monitor. I then promptly returned the game.

Also which version runs better, ps3 or 360?

isual

How is the framerate on hard mode? For vanilla 3 I turned into the german kid slamming his keyboard and cursing at the monitor. I then promptly returned the game.

Also which version runs better, ps3 or 360?

Hard mode ? Same thing as normal. Master ninja level, same thing. The enemies come at you by waves now, unlike in ng2.

As i've stated before, for someone that has beaten ngs on master ninja and received that iconic avatar, the difficulty levels seem downgraded. Normal is easy, hard is normal, master ninja is hard, UT is master ninja .

bidguy

Banned
man the last fight of this game is so freaking cheap.
having to fill that long ass bar with these hyper evasive metal demons is a chore.

Iorv3th

Hard mode ? Same thing as normal. Master ninja level, same thing. The enemies come at you by waves now, unlike in ng2.

As i've stated before, for someone that has beaten ngs on master ninja and received that iconic avatar, the difficulty levels seem downgraded. Normal is easy, hard is normal, master ninja is hard, UT is master ninja .

Well I remember in regular 3 when you played on a higher difficulty there were more enemies and the framerate was much worse (like in the single digits or teens at times). If they fixed it I may have to pick it up.

OSHAN

man the last fight of this game is so freaking cheap.
having to fill that long ass bar with these hyper evasive metal demons is a chore.

If you position yourself in the upper left corner of the stage, and try to stay there, it's a relatively safe position.

I found using the claws built meter very quickly.

Foffy

Banned
How does this handle compared to the Wii U version? I heard claims that the Wii U version had more performance issues than the original game did, and I was curious if there were any improvements in these releases. Knowing Team Ninja Dog, they tend to make the best versions on PS3 since Itagaki left, so I suppose the same possibly holds here, too.

How does this handle compared to the Wii U version? I heard claims that the Wii U version had more performance issues than the original game did, and I was curious if there were any improvements in these releases. Knowing Team Ninja Dog, they tend to make the best versions on PS3 since Itagaki left, so I suppose the same possibly holds here, too.

i've finished the game on normal and hard. it runs really well. i haven't noticed any slowdown on PS3.

Aske

Hard is the same as normal, no major game braking slowdowns.

However I am now playing master ninja mode and there are definitely some framerate issue. PS3 version.

Agreed. This is currently my experience too. I generally notice it when there are an excessive number of enemies on screen all taking hits at once during a UT. It hasn't screwed up my gameplay so far, and it's not even close to the slowdown of NG2.

fi1ip

Master ninja is much harder than hard mode.

Unfortunately you are pretty much limited to SoB which is so incredibly overpowered compared to every other attack. Almost everything else will be blocked or if you start a combo on one enemy the other will interrupt you. The other option that works is charging UTs and there is also that one very overpowered move with Scythe (360 triangle). With just this you can clear master ninja, so in that regard it is not that hard. However you must master the game to a degree that you know every enemy attack pattern and know when is the right opportunity for you to attack.

How hard is master ninja and ultimate ninja ?
Like NG 2 ?

I just finished Master Ninja. It is definitely very difficult, but imo more fair and balanced than NG3's Master Ninja. It doesn't send waves of 100's of enemies at you per scene and the besides the bosses, the damage didn't seem quite as severe as before. The last boss can be a nightmare though on MN. Look out. Steel and bone is almost a must at certain points of the game and it really helped me out. Honestly, though only a few of the bosses gave me a really hard time. Most of the enemies weren't that difficult to deal with if you know what you are doing.

Ultimate Ninja is RIDICULOUSLY and undeniably difficult. I mean I still on the first mission. I must admit, that I only tried a few times, but it seems insane so far and enemies like to bombard Ryu from all sides like never before. Of course the damage they cause is higher than Master Ninja and I think more waves of them come out than before.

Compared to MN in NG2, I think it's a tad easier, but Ultimate Ninja is harder than MN in NG2 imo. At least it appears that they got rid of those ultra cheap one hit throws from NGS2.

Call me crazy, but I think this arguably could be the best playing Ninja Gaiden title to date. All of the new characters play amazingly well and I think it has the most moves out of any of the Ninja Gaiden games. That is an accomplishment. I love the Steel on Bone and the teleport moves.

Master ninja is much harder than hard mode.

Unfortunately you are pretty much limited to SoB which is so incredibly overpowered compared to every other attack. Almost everything else will be blocked or if you start a combo on one enemy the other will interrupt you. The other option that works is charging UTs and there is also that one very overpowered move with Scythe (360 triangle). With just this you can clear master ninja, so in that regard it is not that hard. However you must master the game to a degree that you know every enemy attack pattern and know when is the right opportunity for you to attack.

The Dash is GODSEND on Master Ninja.

bidguy

Banned
How hard is master ninja and ultimate ninja ?
Like NG 2 ?

dont know about ultimate ninja but master ninja is by far the easiest ( on master ninja) ng campaign to date. the first level is probably the hardest. once you get your sword to lvl 2 it becomes a cakewalk. just OT enemies to fill your ninpo bar and SOB everything in your way.
if you got all scarabs you can skip most of the annoying fights by casting true inferno once in a while. just charge your ninpo for true inferno at crystal skull challenges.

the trials though are different. they are obviously made for 2 players unlike the ones in ng2.
i completed them all on gold back then (the ones in ng2) and they are still the hardest missions of all ng games.

isual

well, this just happened on my xbox

I loaded up my game then all of a sudden it froze up on me with pixels. I turned it off again and then it froze just after the xbox screen when you turn it on.

I tried googling, apparently this means the graphics card has/will almost die out.

NG3 Razor's edge was the last xbox game I bought for 360.

Had this 360 version zephyr since Dec of 2007

I tried playing ultimate ninja...gonna skip that, way too masochistic for me

I do think it demonstrates how the game is meant to be played on a high level...just not sure if it's worth the effort

Kasumi's izuna drop is amazing. anybody else noticed her improved boob jiggle? it looks like they gave special care to her.

i shouldn't be surprised.

L Thammy

I tried playing ultimate ninja...gonna skip that, way too masochistic for me

I do think it demonstrates how the game is meant to be played on a high level...just not sure if it's worth the effort

Haven't tried this myself, but I've read that steel on bone makes Ultimate easier than other modes. Dodge a grab and heavy attack = chain of instant kills and tons of Karma.
Bosses are probably still horrible though, just with more health.

paolo11

There is not much slowdown in Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja. What are you guys talking about?

( I beat the game in Ultimate Ninja mode so I know).

How do I get SOB? I have gotten it several times, but I can't pin down my actions that cause it to happen and the tutorials in this game are lackluster. Anyone offer any help?

danmaku

How do I get SOB? I have gotten it several times, but I can't pin down my actions that cause it to happen and the tutorials in this game are lackluster. Anyone offer any help?

When an enemy glows red, he's going to do an unblockable attack (usually a throw). Dodge it and press Y to start a SoB chain.

When an enemy glows red, dodge it and press Y, triangle or hard slash to initiate a steel on bone combo and keep pressing weak slash or strong slash. Now, on certain enemies, I like to add a slide dash into the attack for protection while the enemy is glowing red and then I can press hard slash.

danmaku

Cleared hard mode, now going through Master Ninja: any suggestion on which upgrade should I purchase?

I'm on day 2 and so far I only got the level 2 dragon sword (or should I say Jinran-Maru?), Wind Path, Counter Attack and level 1 Scythe. Level 2 sword is pretty much mandatory for Izuna Drop and damage, the Scythe is great against bosses but I'm not sure about the other weapons. Lunar is good for crowd control but has the big problem of not being able to chain SoB and its damage was severely nerfed (rightfully so, it was broken in NG2). Dual katanas are cool but gameplay-wise feel redoundant compared to the single sword and the Kusari-gama is awesome but hard to use on Master Ninja. I hate the talons and don't want to use them. Should I concentrate on the sword and scythe until they're maxed out? I'll also need to keep enough karma for health upgrades, since they're the only way to get health during boss fights. As for the ninpos, I think I'll max out Inferno (not True Inferno) and then go for Piercing Void, Wind Blades seem terribly underpowered in comparison, it doesn't even kill the standard soldiers.

Cleared hard mode, now going through Master Ninja: any suggestion on which upgrade should I purchase?

I'm on day 2 and so far I only got the level 2 dragon sword (or should I say Jinran-Maru?), Wind Path, Counter Attack and level 1 Scythe. Level 2 sword is pretty much mandatory for Izuna Drop and damage, the Scythe is great against bosses but I'm not sure about the other weapons. Lunar is good for crowd control but has the big problem of not being able to chain SoB and its damage was severely nerfed (rightfully so, it was broken in NG2). Dual katanas are cool but gameplay-wise feel redoundant compared to the single sword and the Kusari-gama is awesome but hard to use on Master Ninja. I hate the talons and don't want to use them. Should I concentrate on the sword and scythe until they're maxed out? I'll also need to keep enough karma for health upgrades, since they're the only way to get health during boss fights. As for the ninpos, I think I'll max out Inferno (not True Inferno) and then go for Piercing Void, Wind Blades seem terribly underpowered in comparison, it doesn't even kill the standard soldiers.

Honestly, I think I did really good primarily using the Dragon Sword at level 2 and then eventually level 3 as soon as it became available. It handled the enemies well, gave me izuna drop, removed limbs fairly easily, dealt great damage to enemies and even managed to handle most of the bosses effectively. The scythe worked quite well on the final boss form due to it's reach and damage, but I think the Dragon Sword or whatever it's called worked out a little better for me. The scythe is good for the T-Rex boss though if you hit him with the UT when he is charging at you though lol. The Lunar Staff is great for crowd control and building up the Ninpo meter. Also, try to use your health upgrades wisely because they will give you full strength back if you are in trouble. If you found 45 scarabs, if I remember correctly you will unlock level 5 health upgrade. Piercing Void is decent because it doesn't take much to fill it up, does admirable damage and gives you some health back. I mostly stuck with Inferno though, but when I needed faster Ninpo out of desperation, I selected Piercing Void and used it if I wasn't close to filling up the Inferno Ninpo. It gives you some health back if you make contact and does some average damage.

danmaku

Thanks! I think I'll stuck with DS + Scythe for now. Also, I noticed that going for the Test of Valor (or whatever they're called in this game) is always a good idea: even if you can't complete it, you get a full health refill at the end and you keep the karma you gained. I got my level 2 DS in the first ToV.

Thanks! I think I'll stuck with DS + Scythe for now. Also, I noticed that going for the Test of Valor (or whatever they're called in this game) is always a good idea: even if you can't complete it, you get a full health refill at the end and you keep the karma you gained. I got my level 2 DS in the first ToV.

Nice. I thought you got to keep your Karma only if you completed it by defeating the boss there. Good news.

it upsets me that i have this game and i simply cant be bothed to play.

i get to that dinosaur boss and just give up.

dammit hayashit.

Yeah, he is annoying. Try hitting him in his feet and dash away when he is getting ready to charge. When he flops on the ground, jump over the hazardous smoke and slash him a few times in the head and then run away. If you have the scythe in your possession, you can try to Ultimate Technique him whenever he is getting ready to charge you. It takes a while, but it works fairly decent if you can get the timing down.

Top Bottom