• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

lord_lad

Banned
If we focus solely on my friend Justin's house, the XB1 has 100% of the market cornered. Sony and Nintendo better step it up.

If we also focused on bill gate's household, windows phone has 100% of the market cornered. Google & apple better step it up! /S

Javin98

Banned
Man, this is by far the slowest NPD thread of all. Previous NPD threads already reached 30-40 pages at the same point of time. Next month's threads will be far more lively if the XB1 wins. But then we'll get the 'consoles are dead' crowd again.

lord_lad

Banned
Man, this is by far the slowest NPD thread of all. Previous NPD threads already reached 30-40 pages at the same point of time. Next month's threads will be far more lively if the XB1 wins. But then we'll get the 'consoles are dead' crowd again.

Has ZhugeEX commented and post his graph yet?

lord_lad

Banned

An analogy...

Breaking news! US is more Democratic than Iran.

The people: yawn

Breaking news! Iran just passed US in democracy index.

The people: Wut.....tell me more!

Javin98

Banned
Unfortunately, Zhuge is still banned. Don't ask for the reason. It's so ridiculous you'll never believe it.

It'll get interesting October-December.
Like I said, it will get interesting in August too if the XB1 wins.
Anyway, Xbox has already announced a huge amount of bundles and SCEA is still sleeping for now. If they don't go big with Black Ops III and SW Battlefront they are a lost cause.
This is another reason that I think a price drop is coming. The way I see it, Sony will announce a price drop either next month or October, then announce the bundles for the holidays.

My guess is that TR2 exclusivity was cheap enough for MS (SE didn't ask for too much), that exclusivity makes more sense than just marketing (even when bundling is included).
Unfortunately we will never know. Keep in mind that at this time
Uncharted still was announced for holiday
Maybe fallout exclusivity was not under wraps yet
Everything looked far worse PR- and sales-wise

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Like I said, it will get interesting next month too if the XB1 wins.
Yeah, I know where this is going. Sales + Forza 6 launch = dis gun b good.

Fall's gonna be interesting for Xbox partisans, spring is gonna be interesting for Playstation partisans, gamers will win out regardless.

Javin98

Banned
Will it? It's not like Xbox never won a random month in the pre-season this year, and August is legitimately a strong month for them with Rare,Gears & Samsung TV bundle.
The XB1 does have a good chance of winning, but right now, I can't say that it will undoubtedly win August. The Samsung TV+ XB1 deal is moving a lot of XB1's, but according to Abdiel, the PS4 was still ahead. Of course this may not represent the results for the whole of the US and may change, but right now, I'd give it a 50/50 chance. And it will definitely be interesting.

Yeah, I know where this is going. Sales + Forza 6 launch = dis gun b good.

Fall's gonna be interesting for Xbox partisans, spring is gonna be interesting for Playstation partisans, gamers will win out regardless.
Just to clarify, I was referring to August NPD. Forza 6 launches in September IIRC.

HooYaH

If Xbox doesn't win next month then that would be interesting. Sony doesn't have much for August unless Until Dawn has an Uncensored Hayden mode.

In America or worldwide?

I think the consoles will be similarly priced this holiday season. The bundles should be amazing
America of course. That's what counts for MS, or at least for Spencer to keep his division alife...

But what if sony really does not cate about winning the US and sees the global pic, where they dominate ad they want and there is no real danger.

Lowering the price in the US normally should lower the price globally, too. But the big question is if they want to give up worldwide profit they could easily cash in just for playing a little joke on MS (destroying them on their home turf).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unfortunately, Zhuge is still banned. Don't ask for the reason. It's so ridiculous you'll never believe it.

OT, but...Could you send me a PM about Zhuge's ban? I saw it was banned all of a sudden, and it seems no one can talk about it here for whatever reason :lol Thanks :p

If Xbox doesn't win next month then that would be interesting. Sony doesn't have much for August unless Until Dawn has an Uncensored Hayden mode.

I'll probably spend like the first 2 hours of the game trying to find a way to make her drop the towel, I swear.

Wonder if that game will be a hidden gem, when does the review embargo hit that one?

I don't expect critics to go for the throat, the expectations seem much more measured compared to the Order.
The Order was announced as masterpiece, this one screams guilty pleasure.
So critics should take it for what it is.
"only" thing it has to do right: entertain.

ZhugeEx was banned for console wars posting. We know you're sad that someone you like is banned, but please relax; he'll be back in like a week, and that time will not be shortened by complaining about it.

Feel free to talk about NPDs in this thread.
Thanks for explanation. Always good that a mod takes the time to offer reasons. Npd GAF sticks together and when someone is missing he, well, he will be missed.
If he got too extreme in console Warfare it's okay to let him calm down as long as he comes back. No exception, even for the best.
I dont see him as a console fanatic, he seems more neutral than most of us. Anyway.

I think people should also keep in mind that a psychical bundle has more value than a one with a DD code .
So that could also be a factor .

This bundle should do well in the North West then.

hqdefault.jpg

someone in this thread said:
No, but it doesn't matter. All the recent NPD data is freely available on the web if you look.

What this thread does include, though, is some truly fantastic charts from Terry Travis, about same-month sales of previous generations. These numbers are much, much harder to search for or discover, and give a fuller view of the evolving market than the trickles leaked from NPD nowadays....

...But they don't feed into the current console war, so of course not a single person has mentioned them.

To partially rectify that, I'll note two things: first, Halo was putting in work in 2004! Over 2 years since launch, and still hitting almost 100k in a month...that's incredible legs for a core game (though maybe also indicative that there wasn't much else desirable on Xbox). And given that Goldeneye was a similarly huge hit well after launch the previous gen, I wonder how many N64 kids made the transition to Microsoft there.

Second, I bet strategists at EA are desperately hoping that the player rights/likeness issues with college sports get straightened out soon. It was never Madden, but not being able to field a million-selling NCAA version of football annually anymore must chafe.

Once again, thank you very much for your continuous excellent contributions, Terry Travis. You make GAF better by your presence and commitment.

Shin-chan

I wonder if the continued improvement of digital storefronts and deals on consoles will enable them to rival Steam for its ability to provide legs to sales. After a certain point the biggest advantage of PC will remain its ability to keep older titles selling through deep discounts which consoles will struggle with simply because they don't have the library.

It's pretty telling that the PSN charts are heavily influenced by discounts though, so I think the legs might already be improving over last gen. It's a healthy model for the industry as it allows much deeper discounts than at retail whilst keeping comparable margins. Obviously there is still a lot of room for improvement but progress is still progress.

allan-bh

JULY Historical Sales Charts!

This month I expand the NPD TOP10 to TOP15.

We've got the top sellers for each generation going all the way back to the 16-bit era (data where available):

*W1 = first week

I'm really enjoying this travel to past sales.

Can you post july hardware sales for 16 bits and PS1/N64? I don't have these.

It's pretty telling that the PSN charts are heavily influenced by discounts though, so I think the legs might already be improving over last gen. It's a healthy model for the industry as it allows much deeper discounts than at retail whilst keeping comparable margins. Obviously there is still a lot of room for improvement but progress is still progress.
Discounts are a sweet poison. Not everyone in the industry is happy about steam sales and bundles.
PSN and XboxStore are not as discount-driven (yet). Might have it's advantages.

Lowering the price in the US normally should lower the price globally, too. But the big question is if they want to give up worldwide profit they could easily cash in just for playing a little joke on MS (destroying them on their home turf).

I kinda agree with this post on the part where it says that Sony probably see lowering the price in USA as a prelude to a global drop of price, but I think that the lesser profit made on the consoles sales could be probably offset by grown profits in software and subscritions.
After all, most european countries are even more budget sensible that USA and I suppose Sony wants to allow them to migrate from PS3 to PS4 as soon as possible.

Ce-Lin

hard to follow this thread when most of the time a lot of posters take for granted that the US = WW, at this rate it would be better to have different threads for sales in USA and sales in the rest of the world.

I kinda agree with this post on the part where it says that Sony probably see lowering the price in USA as a prelude to a global drop of price, but I think that the lesser profit made on the consoles sales could be probably offset by grown profits in software and subscritions.
After all, most european countries are even more budget sensible that USA and I suppose Sony wants to allow them to migrate from PS3 to PS4 as soon as possible.
If I was sony i would drop the price. But i am not and so far their managament was top notch. So i do not question their decisions.

According to our banned member, PS4 is ahead by 0.8M in the U.S. Microsoft will have to go some to pass Sony this Xmas.

I do wonder whether Sony will bundle and have a small price cut. If they bundled Star Wars, COD, Assassins and did a big value bundle with 3-4 older first party games in tandem with a small price cut, things would be very interesting. I'd imagine they are making more profit on each console sold than the size of that price cut so it won't hurt them all that much. They'd make any bundle money for copies back with a PS+ sub.

Europe, it's all over. UK will again be interesting this year.

lord_lad

Banned
If I was sony i would drop the price. But i am not and so far their managament was top notch. So i do not question their decisions.

Sony is in the business of making money and increasing their profit margin....so, no...i don't think they will drop the price. Maybe they will just drop the price for US & UK to remain competitive but globally, i think they can remain the same for another year.

Cassovia

Why no one is mentioning there is also a One Piece 3 (August).
At least for me, this is the only game that I will buy this month.
Surely, it is not a high profile game and it will also be available on other platforms, but still it is a first One Piece on PS4.

Fat4all

Banned
I still feel like a price drop before the holidays are likely. Increases their exposure during the important months along with bundles, increases attach rate of other games, increases attach rate of PS+, increases attach rate of accessories like extra controllers.

Bundles I'm thinking...

1TB CoD Bundle with 1 year of PS+ for $399
1TB Battlefront bundle with 1 year of PS+ for $399
500GB AC Syndicate bundle for $299
500GB God of War 3 (and/or Uncharted Collection) bundle for $299

There's probably a chance the $299 guesses end up being $349 instead, if they want to keep them more profitable.

Why no one is mentioning there is also a One Piece 3 (August).
At least for me, this is the only game that I will buy this month.
Surely, it is not a high profile game and it will also be available on other platforms, but still it is a first One Piece on PS4.

WOawiqx.jpg

Javin98

Banned
I still feel like a price drop before the holidays are likely. Increases their exposure during the important months along with bundles, increases attach rate of other games, increases attach rate of PS+, increases attach rate of accessories like extra controllers.

Bundles I'm thinking...

1TB CoD Bundle with 1 year of PS+ for $399
1TB Battlefront bundle with 1 year of PS+ for $399
500GB AC Syndicate bundle for $299
500GB God of War 3 (and/or Uncharted Collection) bundle for $299

There's probably a chance the $299 guesses end up being $349 instead, if they want to keep them more profitable.
I fully agree with that list of bundles. If Sony goes into the holidays with these bundles, they have a pretty solid chance of winning. Plus, throw in a Black Friday bundle like $399 1TB for Battlefront & COD BO3 and they pretty much have November on lock down, as long as they have enough stock. Also, isn't AC Syndicate launching in late October and Sony has marketing deals for it? I see an AC Syndicate bundle at $349 in October to counter the huge launch of Halo 5. Might not be able to win them October, but at the very least, the PS4 will be quite close to the XB1 in sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
According to our banned member, PS4 is ahead by 0.8M in the U.S. Microsoft will have to go some to pass Sony this Xmas.

I do wonder whether Sony will bundle and have a small price cut. If they bundled Star Wars, COD, Assassins and did a big value bundle with 3-4 older first party games in tandem with a small price cut, things would be very interesting. I'd imagine they are making more profit on each console sold than the size of that price cut so it won't hurt them all that much. They'd make any bundle money for copies back with a PS+ sub.

Europe, it's all over. UK will again be interesting this year.

what is estimated LTD for xbox and PS4 in the US? 0.8M gap sounds fairly close. And Xbox one did some decent damage to the gap last holiday period, and this year Xbox seems quite a lot stronger on the software front.

Shin-chan

Discounts are a sweet poison. Not everyone in the industry is happy about steam sales and bundles.
PSN and XboxStore are not as discount-driven (yet). Might have it's advantages.

Is this true? Aren't all sale prices on Steam given by the publisher? I thought that Valve maybe recommends drops but the publisher has the final say with what happens.

I suppose it's fairly clear that Take 2 want to keep GTAV at max price for as long as they're able, since they resorted to creating a 'discounted' bundle that ultimately turned out the ordinary price for the game with some of their monopoly money.

I can't really think of another example. EA left Steam to avoid paying the royalty, but Titanfall was being sold for peanuts weeks after release so they're obviously not against deep discounting.

Activision is stingy as always on every platform, but then I'm not sure their games are particularly popular on PC anyway (isn't CS:GO more popular than CoD on Steam?).

One of the biggest advantages of PC is that there are numerous digital retailers offering keys for Steam. You don't see this much with PSN or Xbox Live, although I know Amazon sell specific game keys as well as just the currency. The console manufacturers should open places like GMG to selling keys to their stores too. I'm not sure they have any incentive to, though.

Wynnebeck

Banned
ZhugeEx was banned for console wars posting. We know you're sad that someone you like is banned, but please relax; he'll be back in like a week, and that time will not be shortened by complaining about it.

Feel free to talk about NPDs in this thread.

I think this is literally the first time I've seen a mod actually explain what happened instead of sweeping it under a rug. Good on you.

what is estimated LTD for xbox and PS4 in the US? 0.8M gap sounds fairly close. And Xbox one did some decent damage to the gap last holiday period, and this year Xbox seems quite a lot stronger on the software front.

Issue is, if it's anything like last holiday, Microsoft will win it through fire sales and then lose any ground gained through next year into the holidays. Much like what happened this year.

BadWolf

Issue is, if it's anything like last holiday, Microsoft will win it through fire sales and then lose any ground gained through next year into the holidays. Much like what happened this year.

Especially with SFV and Uncharted 4 coming out early next year.

Is this true? Aren't all sale prices on Steam given by the publisher? I thought that Valve maybe recommends drops but the publisher has the final say with what happens.
They have the final say if they want to become invisible, drop out of charts and storefront and sell nothing or if they want to join the discout-party.
Anyway, back to topic.

Sorry if it sounded like I was, I just meant to add my consideration on why Sony could decide to drop the price in the immediate future outside of simply winning mindshare in USA vs Microsoft.
Surely Sony's executives have far more datas of what we have and a lot of other factors are going to weight on their decisions.
Just saying that I wouldn't be too surprised if they'll decide to do it and that I don't think Microsoft have all that much to do with it.

Madden Bundle too, it's basically a lock for Xbox.

Just like all the other months which have been locks for Xbox and PS4 still sold more?

The one random month(non-Nov/Dec) Xbox One won came basically out of no where.

The months they were supposed to win they haven't.

Like others have said, I'm a little disappointed by Witcher 3's steep drop off. Not that it is something new, but I was hoping it would have the legs of some of the more mainstream titles.

Also, the popularity of the Lego games never ceases to amaze me. I'm assuming it's moms buying games for their kids over summer, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom