• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

ZhugeEX

Banned
No one got the South Park reference?

Ok.....

Anyway, Metal Gear Solid 4 remains the best selling game in the Metal Gear Solid series during its first month in the USA.

Metal Gear Solid 5 will need more than 1 million unit sales (including bundles) to beat the record.

Metal Gear Solid 2 comes in a close second, Metal Gear Solid 3 had a lower opening with less than 300,000 units sold through in the USA at retail during its first month.

Best Buy had the worst deals of all the big retailers last November. What he said was only for his stores.

The $50 price-cut for Xbox bundles applied to all stores, and for Black Friday, both Best Buy and Gamestop were offering the AC bundle for $330 without Kinect and $430 with Kinect. I believe in that NPD thread, Shogun stated that the Xbox One sold a sizable sum more, whereas Abdiel stated it was too close to call.

I think he also stated the same for December, and the result was still a 250K win for the Xbox One, and this was when most bundles sold were of AC (as they were the only ones in stock) at $349. The discrepancy may be region-wide, chain-wide, or simply in his district, but I suspect there is some sort of discrepancy.

It's stated right there the bundle sold 41K units, which is a number not to be dismissed. Are you talking about this in regards to software sales or hardware sales, because you framed it previously in the context of hardware sales?

Boke1879

It looks like a SCEA thing, they're not promoting the game at all unlike SCEE and SCEJ.

The only thing they did was Retweet one of the perfect scores the game got. I'm wondering if it was just an oversight. Just don't see how they didn't manage to get a bundle for the US.

Conduit

Banned
It's stated right there the bundle sold 41K units, which is a number not to be dismissed. Are you talking about this in regards to software sales or hardware sales, because you framed it previously in the context of hardware sales?

No, i talked about software sales. Last year Madden on PS4 sold more than on Xbone even with bundle included. Anyway, Madden bundle helped to boost Xbone sales, but not enough. Difference in HW sales was 30k in PS4 favor.

I think they mean the LE console boosting PS4 sales.

Oh. Well sure it will. That's why they make custom consoles.

PS4 similar to Destiny itself like last year.

It gets real tough to try to assign X% of a lift or a sales number to a particular, specific event. But sure... it should help.

The limited edition consoles and bundles also have the benefit of keeping the average retail price higher than if they were only selling non-bundled, standard edition consoles. Wins all around.

RPGamer92

Banned
No one got the South Park reference?

Ok.....

Anyway, Metal Gear Solid 4 remains the best selling game in the Metal Gear Solid series during its first month in the USA.

Metal Gear Solid 5 will need more than 1 million unit sales (including bundles) to beat the record.

Metal Gear Solid 2 comes in a close second, Metal Gear Solid 3 had a lower opening with less than 300,000 units sold through in the USA at retail during its first month.
MGS V is on 5 systems and has the whole month. Should be able to do that pretty easily right?

Square2015

It's ridiculous that we can't even get the top selling title (SKU) for this month...
S9xjoaO.png

ethomaz

Banned
Damn, I actually promised that I would skip taken king, but my resolve is weak. I just paid it off.
To be fair Bungie is making TTK in a way most gamers won't skip it anymore.
Even the gamers that criticized it at launch will be surprised how they are managing to change a lot of things.

Thanks for the info about MGS.
Such a strange series. Amazing numbers.
If black friday was nearer i would have said they keep a bundle until then...

Boke1879

With MGSV. The great reviews, the fact it's on every platform pretty much and it has a whole month to chart and isn't September 5 weeks?

I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell 1 million. It should do that WW quite easily.

Fiznu

Banned
It has 2. Halo MCC, and the 1TB. The Madden and Gears are literally just starting. So we'll need to wait for the results of those.

Also yes you're right, Amazon didn't have it in stock until the 22nd, and that's when it dropped off (the regular Halo MCC).

Do we have other charts to compare to? like Gamestop for reference?

Madden will result in a SLIGHT bump, but nothing like what you are expecting. And the multiplatform MGS V will get TONS more attention than either Madden or Gears.

People on forums like to think it's the exclusive titles that move console hardware, but in reality, the multiplatform games (which are 90+% of all games being released this gen) have FAR more impact.

Bottom line? Sony has it locked up for the rest of the year. You have MGS V, Destiny Taken King, CoD, and probably the biggest title this fall, Star Wars Battlefront (which happens to release right before the new movie). Madden and Gears...and indeed, even Halo 5, aren't going to do much against firepower of that magnitude!

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I know is too soon for talk about numbers, but do you think PS4 will sell in September?
Possible close to 400k ?

Also, will XB1 continue to be up YOY? September 2014 was pretty strong even for the Bone.

Boke1879

Madden will result in a SLIGHT bump, but nothing like what you are expecting. And the multiplatform MGS V will get TONS more attention than either Madden or Gears.

People on forums like to think it's the exclusive titles that move console hardware, but in reality, the multiplatform games (which are 90+% of all games being released this gen) have FAR more impact.

Bottom line? Sony has it locked up for the rest of the year. You have MGS V, Destiny Taken King, CoD, and probably the biggest title this fall, Star Wars Battlefront (which happens to release right before the new movie). Madden and Gears...and indeed, even Halo 5, aren't going to do much against firepower of that magnitude!

I see MS taking October with Halo 5. That will be huge. I still see the Uncharted Collection selling very well.

I fully expect Sony to win August but I wouldn't be shocked if MS squeaks in a win. But yes with sony having marketing with COD, and Battlefront in November and all the crazy bundles they can do. It'll be tough for MS to win Nov and December.

I have no idea where you got that from I wasn't expecting anything, all I said was gears and Madden are late this month so we'll have to wait and see.

Great!

Alright, let's pack it up people.

See you all in January where we'll pick the conversation up again.

Out of curiosity do we have NA LTDs for Madden 15? Or if not at least monthly?

I know I saw someone post 1.1. million for the first month of last year, but what about since then?

I'm just wondering if Madden is still big or if Fifa is pretty much alone in the sports category, after the disaster that was Madden 25, my casual friends never talk about Madden much.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Out of curiosity do we have NA LTDs for Madden 15? Or if not at least monthly?

I know I saw someone post 1.1. million for the first month of last year, but what about since then?

I'm just wondering if Madden is still big or if Fifa is pretty much alone in the sports category, after the disaster that was Madden 25, my casual friends never talk about Madden much.

Madden is still bigger than Fifa.

Madden would regularly sell 4m+ on PS3/360.
Fifa would struggle to sell over 1.5m PS3/360.

I don't know about after 2013 though.

Square2015

I miss the time with all leaks from publishers sales, was amazing to follow software sales.

Btw, did you has first month sales for MGS 1?
I'm with you there man, the NPD had promised GAF the top ten with sales #s...what happened?

Metal Gear Solid (1) was #1 In October '98 with 253,000 sold.

Conduit

Banned
This one, right? I think this deal will help the PS4 quite a bit since Gamestop holds the plurality of the US marketshare.

I presume you can get Madden 16 for free with Batman AK bundle also? Well, just asking when TLOU bundle is on the list.

I see MS taking October with Halo 5. That will be huge. I still see the Uncharted Collection selling very well.

I fully expect Sony to win August but I wouldn't be shocked if MS squeaks in a win. But yes with sony having marketing with COD, and Battlefront in November and all the crazy bundles they can do. It'll be tough for MS to win Nov and December.

I'm also taking the fact that the Stars Battlefront LE bundle was announced without a price and no pre-order option to mean a price drop is coming.

ZhugeEX

Banned
MGSV will sell more than 5 million in September WW.

In order to achieve 50 million series sales worldwide, Metal Gear Solid 5 will need to achieve cumulative sales of more than 8 million units across all platforms.

I believe that would also make it the best selling game in the series.

Roronoa

Banned

ehhhh...I think PS4 will take it with NBA 2K16 and Uncharted Collection.

Top Bottom