• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

FrankT

Taurus said:
You have to be joking? Because that isn't what Reggie made the bet for.

He said: "NSMBW will outsell MW2 on one specific platform (=PS3). It might not happen rightaway, but you have to give me time by the end of January." Not exact words but you get the point.

@abellwillring Yeah it was misreported a few places. Reggie said single platform, I said "360?" and he said yes.
4:54 PM Jan 14th from Power Twitter in reply to abellwillring

http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley

Right there.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
jj984jj said:
Aside from the 360, everything is lower than I expected actually. Even the SW seems kinda low. I can't believe Just Dance is in the top 10 and Bayonetta isn't.

Why is this so hard to beleive?

Rolf NB

Reginald P. Linux said:
My first NPD thread :D Thought i'd contribute by seeing how things are looking compared to last January.

Code:
                 January 2010    January 2009    Difference
PlayStation 2  	 41.6K  	 101.2K   	 -58.9% 	   	 
PlayStation 3 	 276.9K 	 203.2K  	  36.3%	  	 
PSP 	         100.1K          172.3K          -41.9%	  	  	  	 
Xbox 360 	 332.8K          309.0K           7.70%	  	  	 
Wii 	         465.8K          679.2K	         -31.4%  	  	  	 
Nintendo DS      422.2K          510.8K          -17.3%

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are the only systems to see increased sales so far this year. Interesting!

Getting things to line up right in code tags takes a long time, by the way :lol
Pro tip: use a text editor with a monospace font -- I'll go ahead and recommend mousepad and gedit, your username and all -- to lay down your post, then copy&paste.

TehSw1tch said:
But the bet was that it would outsell Modern Warfare on ONE platform, and didn't say which one. NSMBWii outsold the PS3 version in it's first month.
bu-bu-but Geoff SWEARS on Twitter that Reggie means 360! despite anyone with ears listening to Reggie hearing clearly what Reggie actually said...

The poor sales for ME2 mean that it never should have been console exclusive. Such a shame that Microsoft has to moneyhat everything.

Willninho said:
If you watch the actual video, Reggie is saying he can beat it on one platform, and is asked 360? during his statement and he says yes but in a way that could also mean he was trying to change subject/not really answering.

Wow why is everyone taking this so seriously?

At the end of the day (or year I should say) the game will eclipse both and in a couple years, could outsell them combined. So, who cares about this bet?

evangd007

Adam Blade said:
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with America? You had built up so much good will with us Sony faithful, yet now you let us down by buying more Xboxes? I'm going to go smash something right now, because I might write something down now that I might regret doing later. PEACE.

ME2 was a better exclusive than MAG (with respect to sales of course, have not played either so I can't comment). That's what is comes down to. I was also in the line of thinking that the PS3 would beat Xbox360 this year quite consistently, but these statistics as well as a re-examination of the 360's exclusives this year are making me rethink that stance.

wizword said:
Bayonetta made money which is the only thing that matters. It probably sold 200k across platforms for the first month which is great for that type of game. I would say it was not heavily advertised or had a massive blockbuster budget. Army of two 40th day underperformed and sold 1/3 the original on xbox 360 first month.

I'm going in for the kill, I'm doing it for a thrill...

Saw this every week last month.

Ulairi

Banned
eznark said:
With the aesthetic it's a niche title and sold as such.

No. I think it shows that Xbox 360 and PS3 owners do not want hardcore games. Add this to titles like Area 51 and we now have a clear history of hardcore games not selling on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

wizword said:
Bayonetta made money which is the only thing that matters. It probably sold 200k across platforms for the first month which is great for that type of game. I would say it was not heavily advertised or had a massive blockbuster budget. Army of two 40th day underperformed and sold 1/3 the original on xbox 360 first month.

No. What matters is how well a game does on NPD not how it compares to the budget and expectations of the publisher.

Dennis

Banned
Ulairi said:
PS3 and 360 owners do not want hardcore games, just look at the sales of that one game.
OK, so Wii owners don't want hardcore games and the PS3/360 owners dont want them either - so who do you think want hardcore games, exactly ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Adam Blade said:
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with America? You had built up so much good will with us Sony faithful, yet now you let us down by buying more Xboxes? I'm going to go smash something right now, because I might write something down now that I might regret doing later. PEACE.
Adam Blade said:
The poor sales for ME2 mean that it never should have been console exclusive. Such a shame that Microsoft has to moneyhat everything.
Will you please stop trolling the thread.

Edit:

Unless you're kidding that is. I can't check posting records, and this would sadly be believable. :lol

psrock

A little surprised 360 is doing so well

PS3 is doing better than ever

Wii is almost impossible to find : Expect low numbers for Feb too.

PSP= Going nowhere

PS2= dying of old age.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
this is totally stupid and i can't believe it's being discussed again but it sounded to me like he was saying something like "outsell one version in the us through january? yes, I definitely think so" and geoff interrupted him in the middle to say, "you mean on the 360?!?!" and reggie just kept on talking so geoff took that as an answer

but anyway it's dumb because it was reggie giving a bullshit video game company pr response to a stupid video game non-journalist question, so the fact that people honestly want to prove him wrong or right is pathetic

Dennis

Banned
Adam Blade said:
wat

Oh, you meant this to be some kind of funny post I suppose.

Touchdown

Banned
jj984jj said:
Aside from the 360, everything is lower than I expected actually. Even the SW seems kinda low. I can't believe Just Dance is in the top 10 and Bayonetta isn't.

If you check Amazon's best selling games list, Just Dance has been close to the top practically the whole month. I still find it incredible how Nintendo just keeps dominating month after month. Did people expect Mario to outsell Mass Effect 2 for the month? I wasn't expecting that at all. I also can't get over Mario Kart Wii. Nintendo needs to have those legs insured.

Ulairi

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
bu-bu-but Geoff SWEARS on Twitter that Reggie means 360! despite anyone with ears listening to Reggie hearing clearly what Reggie actually said...

Watching the clip and it's clear that Reggie was ignoring Geoff, it's what most people do.

FrankT

The Faceless Master said:
if you LISTEN to the actual interview, Geoff said 360 IN THE MIDDLE of Reggie talking, and then he tried to spin it for controversy.

anyone who actually listens to the footage can clearly hear that Reggie did no say what Geoff claims on Twitter. Geoff just wants attention or something...

Hmm okay then. Pretty sure I watched the video and never noticed the difference. Again I don't really care just reporting exactly what he said.

Dabanton

Adam Blade said:

That's a good one. :lol

But you've got to be more subtle than that.

farnham

Banned
Touchdown said:
If you check Amazon's best selling games list, Just Dance has been close to the top practically the whole month. I still find it incredible how Nintendo just keeps dominating month after month. Did people expect Mario to outsell Mass Effect 2 for the month? I wasn't expecting that at all. I also can't get over Mario Kart Wii. Nintendo needs to have those legs insured.
i was expecting nintendo to do a lot better after the astonishing december sales...

wii at above 600k at least and NSMBWii selling more accordingly.. looks like the shortage problem hurt them once again

Ashodin

Wii:
35buxw6.jpg

DS:
24fixa8.jpg

360:
72y72h.jpg

PS3:
x2o0tj.jpg

PSP:
2m6l651.jpg

PS2:
k9drag.jpg

Adam Blade said:

October 2009

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 537,000

January 2010

Mass Effect 2 572,100

Fredescu

syllogism said:
Pretty unimpressive ME2 number; it will probably do less overall than Dragon Age did.
ME2 sold two million worldwide in one week. Dragon Age sold 3.2 million in a bit over three months. I wouldn't be suprised if ME2 has already overtaken DA.

Top Bottom