• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

My first NPD thread :D Thought i'd contribute by seeing how things are looking compared to last January.

Code:
                 January 2010    January 2009    Difference
PlayStation 2  	 41.6K  	 101.2K   	 -58.9% 	   	 
PlayStation 3 	 276.9K 	 203.2K  	  36.3%	  	 
PSP 	         100.1K          172.3K          -41.9%	  	  	  	 
Xbox 360 	 332.8K          309.0K           7.70%	  	  	 
Wii 	         465.8K          679.2K	         -31.4%  	  	  	 
Nintendo DS      422.2K          510.8K          -17.3%

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are the only systems to see increased sales so far this year. Interesting!

Getting things to line up right in code tags takes a long time, by the way :lol

Taurus

Jtyettis said:
I've got 6.156 million for MW2 360 versus 4.866 million for NSMBW. Looks like Geoff K wins after all.
You have to be joking? Because that isn't what Reggie made the bet for.

He said: "NSMBW will outsell MW2 on one specific platform (=PS3). It might not happen rightaway, but you have to give me time by the end of January." Not exact words but you get the point.

wizword

Banned
Bayonetta made money which is the only thing that matters. It probably sold 200k across platforms for the first month which is great for that type of game. I would say it was not heavily advertised or had a massive blockbuster budget. Army of two 40th day underperformed and sold 1/3 the original on xbox 360 first month.

FrankT

DrForester said:
To be fair, Mario will eventually top it. Just a matter of when.

I don't doubt that.

Taurus said:

He said: "NSMBW will outsell MW2 on one specific platform (=PS3). It might not happen rightaway, but you have to give me time by the end of January." Not exact words but you get the point.

I'm almost 100% certain Geoff K said 360, but I will check that twitter post.

ChoklitReign said:
I thought Bayonetta sold a million. I read it in an article.

It shipped 1.1 according to Sega. Always take company numbers as shipped not sold, IE, they sold 1.1 million copies to retailers.

NPD is most likely 130k or so 360, 80k or whatever for PS3, 200k Japan, whatever in Europe, maybe 5-600k sell through combined? That's not horrible for 1 month.

Frillen

Why do people always conclude that a title is a failure just because it didn't make the top 10? It sounds like every single title that didn't make the top 10 sold 0 copies.

I'm sure Reggie is really sad he did not beat MW2 on 360.

The real tragedy is that the limo driver that brings him to work didn't even ask him why he was crying.

TehSw1tch

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Geoff K said by the end of January per his twitter last month for the 360 SKU alone. It's pretty easy actually. I don't really care all that much but the numbers do speak.

But the bet was that it would outsell Modern Warfare on ONE platform, and didn't say which one. NSMBWii outsold the PS3 version in it's first month.

Touchdown

Banned
marioKart_wii_eggo.jpg

shwimpy

Taurus said:

Keighley said via his twitter that Reggie did in fact say the 360 version.

JesseZao said:
I liked playing Bayonetta, but I always hated the appearance of the character and can't imagine the two story neck Sarah Palin convinced many impulse buys. My point is proven by Darksiders showing up on the top 10.
oh I get it, you're making like a joke here.

nevermind, I thought you were seriously making some kind of factual statement backed by a fractured, tenuous connection between the physical appearance of characters and sales numbers.

Ulairi

Banned
Pills Here said:
Mass Effect 2 selling almost 600K in 6 days says otherwise.

That game doesn't count. It's a sequel to a succesful franchise. PS3 and 360 owners do not want hardcore games, just look at the sales of that one game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How is 40,000 units for PS2 bad? It's a decade old system. 40,000 is NOT a small number.

Elios83

Boring month and overall lower numbers than I expected. 360 did really good, solid PS3 numbers too.
Wii and DS disappointing (relatively to their own past perfomance and YOY).
PS2 is dying and PSP is following suit. Sony definetly needs to do something for these two platforms, maybe they don't care anymore about the PS2 after more than 10 years but for PSP they must definetly be planning a price cut (after 3 years without one) although I wouldn't be suprised if PSP 2 gets announced at E3 too.
Software wise, Bayonetta and MAG had disappointing sales :/

goldenpp72

Ulairi said:
That game doesn't count. It's a sequel to a succesful franchise. PS3 and 360 owners do not want hardcore games, just look at the sales of that one game.

I bet bayonetta on ps3 outsells madworld on wii

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well please let TatsuCap do well...

Ok, you can bring on the crow now. I thought the 360 was done after SONY introduced the Slim at the $299 pricepoint. That prediction was made with the understanding that MS would lower the top tier 360 to $250. When MS didn't drop it to $250 I laughed at any notion the 360 would be able to even compete at equal pricepoints. So yes, I admit, I was definately wrong.

[Nintex]

Arpharmd B said:
So here's some fuzzy math.

If the 360 has an 8 million lead in the US over PS3, and PS3 has a , what, 3 million lead on 360 in Japan, that would mean that the console sales are pretty much dead even for Europe and the rest of the world?
I watched Iwata's financial briefing thing out of boredom and I was shocked by one slide. Iwata just casually told that the EU gaming market was back to 2007 levels that retailers didn't stock as many games anymore and that console sales of Xbox 360/PS3 and Wii remained flat even after the pricedrops. They were pretty much selling on par(and very low numbers to boot) during the entire year. It wasn't untill the Black Wii and Mario that Nintendo sales were on the rise again and Sony only had a minor PS3 Sim bump in Europe.

Minsc

Gold Member
Reginald P. Linux said:
My first NPD thread :D Thought i'd contribute by seeing how things are looking compared to last January.

Code:
                 January 2010    January 2009    Difference
PlayStation 2  	 41.6K  	 101.2K   	 -58.9% 	   	 
PlayStation 3 	 276.9K 	 203.2K  	  36.3%	  	 
PSP 	         100.1K          172.3K          -41.9%	  	  	  	 
Xbox 360 	 332.8K          309.0K           7.70%	  	  	 
Wii 	         465.8K          679.2K	         -31.4%  	  	  	 
Nintendo DS      422.2K          510.8K          -17.3%

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are the only systems to see increased sales so far this year. Interesting!

Getting things to line up right in code tags takes a long time, by the way :lol

Yea, it is, I gave up on my little overly rounded code charts, but fyi, red means loss/negative normally in most data, so your info is a little confusing to read.

I see this year being a pretty boring one for console sales... except for one or two months with huge releases, this generation needs some sort of recharge.

farnham

Banned
DrForester said:
To be fair, Mario will eventually top it. Just a matter of when.
yeah but that wasnt the bet..

in the end of 2010 NSMBWii will still be at the Top 10 somewhere and will probably have sold more then MW2 on both systems.. but reggie and geoff said till end of january.. so geoff wins this one..

ShockingAlberto said:
So, since Bayonetta didn't make the NPD top ten, is it time to finally admit that hardcore games don't sell on the 360 or PS3 because this niche Platinum Games title didn't sell?

I think it clearly is.
That Capcom action game and average first person shooter didn't sell either. Time to abandon the HD consoles.

MisterHero

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm sure Reggie is really sad he did not beat MW2 on 360.

The real tragedy is that the limo driver that brings him to work didn't even ask him why he was crying.
NSBWii may (or may not have) lost the battle for the Americas but NSMBWii will win the war!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aside from the 360, everything is lower than I expected actually. Even the SW seems kinda low. I can't believe Just Dance is in the top 10 and Bayonetta isn't.

operon

BubbaStump said:
Ok, you can bring on the crow now. I thought the 360 was done after SONY introduced the Slim at the $299 pricepoint. That prediction was made with the understanding that MS would lower the top tier 360 to $250. When MS didn't drop it to $250 I laughed at any notion the 360 would be able to even compete at equal pricepoints. So yes, I admit, I was definately wrong.

Respect

Duke Togo

bcn-ron said:
I came unprepared, need to improvise.
Going with current themes of the conversation, I can offer "Man, the way Bayonetta sold you might think it was a Wii exclusive."
:lol Well played.

Willninho

Neo Member
If you watch the actual video, Reggie is saying he can beat it on one platform, and is asked 360? during his statement and he says yes but in a way that could also mean he was trying to change subject/not really answering.

Dark Void numbers are tragically low. Though I have been calling this for something like 2 years. It's as big or bigger bomb than Bionic Commando, and Capcom had insanely high expectations for it (why I have no idea).

Top Bottom