• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wrestlemania said:
The Mario/MW2 bet didn't specify a region. It's probably close to outselling MW2 on all platforms combined worldwide.

Well Reggie specifically mentioned NPD numbers, which are US only...

Barrett2

I cannot think of a less interesting topic than Reggie's bet. Who gives a flying shit?

Considering how much advertising MAG had, it should have sold well.

The final verdict on whether or not Reggie lost his bet....in 6-7 hours

Seriously, though this is the third straight month this stupid shit has been discussed at length. The answer is pretty clear. Modern Warfare outsells out of the gate, but Mario sells more LTD.

desh

Oyashiro said:
Wow, I'm so sad for Bayonetta :( Easily one of my favorite games this gen. I was really expecting to sell a lot more, but it guess it's not really... uhh... targeted at a wide audience.

Darksiders charted, and it doesn't fit any of that criteria.

syllogism

Peff said:
1 week numbers which are bigger than what Dragon Age did in a full month on three platforms. So yeah.
We don't actually have PC numbers, do we. So yeah.
Fredescu said:
ME2 sold two million worldwide in one week. Dragon Age sold 3.2 million in a bit over three months. I wouldn't be suprised if ME2 has already overtaken DA.
Shipped

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was trying to decide which game between Darksiders and Bayonetta would be the "OMG IT TEH BOMBEDZ DOOM3D" Gaf reality =/= actually reality game. Since Bayonetta didn't make the top 10 I guess its the one. All three consoles underperformed what I thought. I figured they have slightly higher than normal from post Christmas shopping, but it looks like they went back to pre holiday numbers pretty quickly.

Tretton says half a million MAG sold so far in a thank you letter/PR statement to PS3 owners:

Games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves are surpassing our lofty expectations as it outsold the franchise’s first PS3 game and is now closing in on three million copies sold worldwide. Over half a million of you have already chosen your allegiance in MAG, and have played over 270,000 games in the Shadow War.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/thank-you-for-a-great-2009/

Edit: Also, the UC2 number appears to be closer to 3 million than 2.5.

Peff said:
So after the Bayonetta bomba (damn you America) what will happen to Yakuza 3? Will retailers be willing to accept as many copies of the game?

Well, let's see: Yakuza bombed, and then Yakuza 2 bombed like ten times harder. Sooooo...

MisterHero

lawblob said:
I cannot think of a less interesting topic than Reggie's bet. Who gives a flying shit?
I do!

:D

Would you rather have many of the thread readers complain about the marketability of games they haven't played?

daebo

Interesting, well from my point of view. I saw infinitely more Darksiders ads/commercials than they Bayonetta. I guess it does make sense to advertise.

xbhaskarx

Adam Blade said:
The poor sales for ME2 mean that it never should have been console exclusive. Such a shame that Microsoft has to moneyhat everything.

Is this a joke?

ME2 came out January 26 and still finished second with 570k, so what does that say about every other game?

Mrbob

syllogism said:
But I'm leaving PC out and just comparing the sales on consoles; it's highly likely Dragon Age PC sold better than Mass Effect 2 pc.

I'm almost sure ME2 6 days of sales in Jan 2010 was about the same as 360 Dragon Age in Nov and Dec, the two top selling months of the year. There is a reason why Dragon Age came out in the holidays and ME2 came out post holiday.

Dragon Age has the benefit of a PS3 version as well, but there is no doubt ME2 will overtake Dragon Age in total sales.

Reginald P. Linux said:
My first NPD thread :D Thought i'd contribute by seeing how things are looking compared to last January.

Code:
                 January 2010    January 2009    Difference
PlayStation 2  	 41.6K  	 101.2K   	 -58.9% 	   	 
PlayStation 3 	 276.9K 	 203.2K  	  36.3%	  	 
PSP 	         100.1K          172.3K          -41.9%	  	  	  	 
Xbox 360 	 332.8K          309.0K           7.70%	  	  	 
Wii 	         465.8K          679.2K	         -31.4%  	  	  	 
Nintendo DS      422.2K          510.8K          -17.3%

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are the only systems to see increased sales so far this year. Interesting!

Getting things to line up right in code tags takes a long time, by the way :lol

Okay, I figured it out: sell so pitifully in one year that even lukewarm sales in the subsequent year seem like a noteworthy success. Got it.

Boring.

WTF is with that Dance game? it has been kicking but on Amazon. Are dance games going to replace ___ Hero & Rockband games? Naw . . . gamers are too fat & lazy. But it is definitely the new Nintendo buzz.

Down 13%. :-( Publishers continue to struggle. This economy sucks.

Salute to the PS2 . . . unbelievable that the PS2 keeps selling at all.

2010, the Year of the PS3! Oh wait . . .

Ashodin

kinggroin said:
Maybe I have to play Mass Effect 2, but those pics make no fucking sense to me :lol
Wii: Batarian smiling at his money over everyone!
DS: OMG ITS A JUGGERNAUT WE CANT STOP IT
360: Business as usual.
PS3: omg im getting shot aughghug
PSP: Taking a hard look at itself
PS2: "You ate a rocket."

FrankT

syllogism said:
But I'm leaving PC out and just comparing the sales on consoles; it's highly likely Dragon Age PC sold better than Mass Effect 2 pc.

Well if you are leaving it out then you would know that ME2 just outsold both versions of DA in 6 days versus a full month.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes, yes, but is NMH2 going to outsell Bayonetta on one platform by March NPD?

dani_dc

So Bayonetta did flop, silly me taking Sega shipped numbers as actual sales.

Nice game fails at selling, no surprise here.

JesseZao

daebo said:
Interesting, well from my point of view. I saw infinitely more Darksiders ads/commercials than they Bayonetta. I guess it does make sense to advertise.

The over-saturation of Bayo ads on gaming sites caused me to sour towards the game. A first look at each game, darksiders looked more interesting from ads.

Hanging the hardcore crowd out to dry for dismal Bayo sales is the worst idea for an internet rage ever. The game wasn't the second coming.

stupei

I can't even believe there is a discussion going on about whether or not the niche RPG or the shootery RPG is going to have better sales.

How boring is this NPD?

syllogism

Jtyettis said:
Well if you are leaving it out then you would know that ME2 just outsold both versions of DA in 6 days versus a full month.
Yes, and I said it would sell better overall, not that it sold better first month. It's going to be difficulty for ME2 to perform on one platform as well in February as a Dragon Age did on two in December. Also an established franchise vs a new one.

Grecco

Wow didnt notice the Army of Two drop as well. Holy Crap. No wonder its already 39.99

Wasnt that supposed to be an "important" game for EA going forward?

Ulairi

Banned
JesseZao said:
The over-saturation of Bayo ads on gaming sites caused me to sour towards the game. A first look at each game, darksiders looked more interesting from ads.

Hanging the hardcore crowd out to dry for dismal Bayo sales is the worst idea for an internet rage ever. The game wasn't the second coming.

It's not about the hardcore crowd and more about how stupid the responses in NPD threads have been when a Wii core game doesn't chart.

goldenpp72

JesseZao said:

Bayo is in the top 10 of this generation entirely, so yeah, it deserves more, but it's content is a bit too off beat for some I guess.

Zachack

It's obvious that the bet was over the 360 version of MW2. During the end of the interview Geoff's hands are moving in a back and forth motion, thereby indicating that as leader of a biker gang, the bet also includes his hog as collateral. Reggie, clearly aggrieved at the notion that a rival bike gang could control his turf, therefore bets both his ride and access rights to KXNC, the local radio station where Reggie's girl works as a receptionist and can slip the winner the key for late-night rowdy broadcast sessions.

Now, given the high stakes, do you really think that the leader of the Hell's Satans (Geoff) would bet on a PS3 game? Everyone knows that the Yakuza have long since stopped refinancing the loan on that house of motorcycles, and it's really hard to hit the brake lever when you're missing thumbs due to an honor-severing, so the odds of a PS3 game beating NSMBWii are basically nil.

Unfortunately for Reggie, losing the bet means that he'll go blind and hair will grow on his palms.

Cheez-It

The Faceless Master said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/77?ch=1&sd=1

click on the "MW2 vs NSMB Wii" segment (4th segment marker) and you will clearly hear Geoff cut in while Reggie is talking and accept an answer from a previous question as te answer for "on Xbox 360"

'game journalism'

Thanks for posting this.

It's one thing to interrupt someone while they gather their thoughts (Reggie was reflecting the question back, and then answering, with an interruption in the middle), it's another to assume that your interruption was heard and instantly processed, and then blab about it on twitter. What a whore.

stupei

Ulairi said:
That game doesn't count. It's a sequel to a succesful franchise. PS3 and 360 owners do not want hardcore games, just look at the sales of that one game.

And okay, it's just starting to get funny how many people don't get what you're doing. :lol

Barrett2

MisterHero said:
I do!

:D

Would you rather have many of the thread readers complain about the marketability of games they haven't played?

Let me tell you why Baronettle didn't sell. Not enough multiplayer witch boobs! And Sony's terrible marketing!

Top Bottom