• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

Bgamer90

Banned
I don’t understand this? How come people keep moving goal posts with was is successful?

Infamous - successful
Killzone Shadow Fall - successful
MLB - successful
Until Dawn - successful
Blood Borne - successful
Knack - successful

The Order - bombed
DriveClub- claimed back success
SFV - bombed

More success than bombs here unless my math is wrong?

Not everything is going to be Splatoon or Smash brothers and sell 5 million units.

I never stated that every exclusive has been straight up flops. However, there is definitely a difference in how exclusives are doing this gen vs. last gen; Third party multiplats have really taken over.

ethomaz

Banned
Digital share is substantially larger than when those titles launched and PC is significantly over 1 million
Yeap I can see PC making it outsell Watch Digs easily but I'm having a hard time about Destiny.

Destiny digital was above avg. too due online only.

rhandino

Banned
And Capcom wanted SFV to sell 2 million copies before the end of the fiscal year... oh well. It seems this days the only people who know what they are doing are the ones in charge of Monster Hunter.

Twilight Princess did quite good but thats expected considering that the original was REALLY popular.

And Ubisoft remains king of launching new franchises.

I mean idk if I'd call until dawn a success Chart wise. Wasn't it below rare replay? But I suppose Sony may have been happy with what it was

Until Dawn looks to have had a very long and successful sales tail. From the looks of things, the game started catching steam after it got LP'd by a bunch of successful Youtube personalities.

Yeap I can see PC making it outsell Watch Digs easily but I'm having a hard time about Destiny.

Destiny digital was above avg. too due online only.

True true but Division is also online only which will increase its share and digital is doing better than ever.

I could see it beating Destiny but it was probably really close.

crinale

S8YwCPW.png
Could someone help me out with this?

It has to be PS4 ~329k and XB1 ~241k, or PS4 ~328k and XB1 ~240k.

So going by those numbers, we're looking at PS4 being down roughly ~12k units and Xbox One being up roughly 4k units over last year? So the month was pretty close to flat on both sides.

E: That was going by the estimates on the other NPD thread, which weren't as exact as the numbers here. PS4 up by 338 units is hilariously tiny, but hey, it counts!

I never stated that every exclusive has been straight up flops. However, there is definitely a difference in how exclusives are doing this gen vs. last gen; Third party multiplats have really taken over.
Even that I would rebuttal though. The only big exclusive that has really underperformed is Halo 5. Everything else released so far was never pegged to be 5-10 million sellers. I’m not really a MS fan, but I think Forza is in line with what they usually sell, maybe slightly less because of installed user base. And we’ll see what happens with Gears. Was QB really going to sell 2-3 million copies? A story driven game on the “shooter box”?

What exclusives are really up there with the big third party games, think about it, they haven’t come out yet. Sony’s WWS have been dumb slow, and Nintendo’s WWS is slaying as usual. (Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Smash, all did very well) if Uncharted 4, God of War 4, Gran Turismo Sport/7 come out and sell 500K then I’d say 3rd party have really taken over. I think it’s pretty much the same as most gens in perspective.

donny2112

Edit2:
PS4 - 328K
XB1 - 240K
3DS - 170K (Whoa!)
WIU - 66K
PSV - 12K

170K for 3DS! Whoa, whoa, whoa!! (O.O)

Edit:
For predictions, round to nearest 5K, since our base numbers are a little fuzzy ...

PS4 - 330K
XB1 - 240K
3DS - 170K
WIU - 65K

Calculating results!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think digital is increasing rapidly. Like REALLY rapidly.

yup. i was one of the guys setting 'realistic expectations' even a year ago where it wasn't that significant, about the digital/physical share. it's still title dependent, but in some cases the scales have already tipped.

so yea, the new consoles have been very good at digital conversions

phanphare

Banned
I don’t understand this? How come people keep moving goal posts with was is successful?

Infamous - successful
Killzone Shadow Fall - successful
MLB - successful
Until Dawn - successful
Blood Borne - successful
Knack - successful

The Order - bombed
DriveClub- claimed back success
SFV - bombed

More success than bombs here unless my math is wrong? I don’t want to hear stuff like “it was only because it was at launch” that’s nonsense. People like Killzone and Knack was a decent time at budget prices. Sales are sales.

Not everything is going to be Splatoon or Smash brothers and sell 5 million units.

I would just like to say I love the fact that we're at the point where we can say things like "not everything is going to be Splatoon" in regards to the performance of a first party game

warms my little squid heart

Top Bottom