• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Square2015

Now that we have some updated Square-Enix figures we can update our ALL-TIME Square-Enix RPG USA graph. Color coded for console.
click to enlarge
Titles are in chronological order by system
Cz54Ick.png

* = last updated Feb 2009 so those figures are out of date

If anyone can help fill in the gaps please tell...I may have missed some updates.[/QUOTE]
#repost for next page#

Guevara

Alright, it's been awhile yes, I'm sorry about that. So I extended NoA's legacy console graph beyond just the first year...

Click to enlarge
93JSIC5.png

The SNES figures are MY estimates ONLY, hopefully soon we'll get the 16-bit NPD figures with the recent interest in the 16-bit console wars again (ie. with the book and movie in production).

WiiU vs. DC, GC...
mnrn0Xb.png

Thanks for doing these.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Don't worry, it has legs, as do lots of other Nintendo games. Few Wii U games have passed 700K or even 350K, but New Super Mario Bros. U definitely did.

Not going to comment on non-USA data.

In the USA:

Launch (Nov. + Dec.) attach rate was like 65%.

And 845K is way off for launch (Nov. + Dec.) Wii U numbers. :p

845K is off? Really? Wow, is my memory that bad. I remember the NPD numbers for Wii U in November 2012 being 420K and December 2012 being 425K...

Game Guru

Now that we have some updated Square-Enix figures we can update our ALL-TIME Square-Enix RPG USA graph. Color coded for console.
click to enlarge
[SNIP]

If anyone can help fill in the gaps please tell...I may have missed some updates.
#repost for next page#

You know, I find it interesting that FF13 sold only 100,000 less than FF12 in North America.

sörine

Banned
click to enlarge
Cz54Ick.png

If anyone can help fill in the gaps please tell...I may have missed some updates.
The old data is amazing. Do you have figures for the GBC Dragon Warrior games too?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Where are you getting 425K from? Wii U sold 425K in November 2012 and ~460K in December 2012.

I guess my memory is just off then... Now that you mention the actual numbers I remember >_>.... Thanks.

Also you mentioned that a few titles have sold over 350K in the US on Wii U... are there any outside of NSMBU (unbundled & bundled), MK8, Nintendo Land (bundled) and 3D World?

also

Banned
click to enlarge

KH Re: Chain of Memories is a PS2 game not a NDS one.

Square2015

sörine;117470738 said:
The old data is amazing. Do you have figures for the GBC Dragon Warrior games too?

This was from data posted on GAF back in 2002.

As of May 02:
DWIII 146,000
DW I&II 172,000
DWM Cobi 62,000
DWM Tara 45,000

and from July 03 - 06:
DWIII 4,300
DW I&II 1,000
DWM Cobi 13,000
DWM Tara 21,000

Projections from $ sales:
DW Monsters 250,000

This probably is how much they LTD'd:
DWI&II 180,000
DWIII 180,000
DWM 250,000
DWM Cobi ~110,000
DWM Tara ~100,000

pretty iffy on DWM2 though

Very strange lack of updates (not directed at OP or mods but at companies apparently not wanting to give us statements.)

Don't see it being that strange given the context. Sony doesn't seem keen on creating the appearance of monthly sales updates in case they falter and are not top of the charts. [Not to mention the Vita exists] Microsoft will have PR next month but skipped this month because their numbers were so bad, I wonder the last time a Xbox console sold that poorly? And Nintendo is continuing its march to irrelevance with its current platforms

jcm

Great sales for Watchdogs and pretty good for Mario Kart. But console hardware sales don't seem so good to me. The Wii U bump wasn't spectacular. I guess it did 30K or so the last week, so I'd guess June will probably be down to 8-15K a week for a total of around 50K. It's a fair bit better than last year but still poor.

Xbone down to 77K which was kind of expected after the big drop last month. The price cut announcement may have hurt sales too but then I also think Watchdogs would have increased sales for this month. I don't think it's guaranteed that it will sell over 100K a month over the next few months.

PS4 was flat at just 200K but again would have been boosted by Watchdogs and maybe MLB. Looks like the baseline through the summer may be closer to 150K a month which isn't great for the market leading console.

Last gen obviously down a lot although handhelds did ok. Vita had a nice bump but I don't know what if any momentum it can sustain. 3DS continues it's modest decline from last year but at least is pretty stable.

It's funny you see the 3DS's glass half full and the PS4s half empty. PS4 is way up Gen over Gen and 3DS is way down. Here are the numbers again in case you've forgotten. Handhelds did ok compared to what?

Year Over Year
Code:
           2014  2013  % Change
XB1          77          
360          57   114      -50%
PS4         197         
PS3          36    85      -58%
WIU          61    35       74%
WII          11    36      -69%
3DS          97   114      -15%
NDS                34   
PSV          56    15      273%
PSP                 4     

Family                  
MSFT        134   114       18%
SONY        289   104      178%
NINT        169   219      -23%

HAND        153   167       -8%
CONSOLE     439   270       63%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console    2014  2007  % Change
360               155   
PS2               188   
WII               338   
PS3                82    
TOTAL       439   763      -42%

Handheld   2014  2008  % Change
NDS               453   
PSP               182   
Total       153   635      -76%

heidern

It's funny you see the 3DS's glass half full and the PS4s half empty.

3DS sales are stable and have actually improved compared to the first few months of the year. I don't see evidence to suggest 3DS sales are likely to decline in the short term. PS4 sales have significantly declined compared to the first few months of the year when it was sold out. The short term trend is downwards hence why I look at it "glass half empty". It might stabilise at 200K, but it is more likely to decline a bit. Worst case scenario being it follows the Xbone into severe monthly declines although I think that's unlikely. Best bet for increasing sales is Destiny but that's not till September. Is there anything significant before then?

The short term trend is that it's May.

Everything typically declines in May. I really don't get why after 38 pages people still don't realise that.
This May was exacerbated by extenuating circumstances, namely the announcement of a cheaper SKU for June.

Meanwhile I have no idea how one reconciles a 9% M/M decline due to the monthly transition being stable, while a 1% decline is apparently omg terribadtrend. Or how selling 50% of Jan-Mar in the current quarter so far amounts to a major improvement compared to selling 44% of Jan-Mar.

Total handheld HW TTM is at its lowest point for more than a decade, half of what it was with the GBA alone, and continuing to slide. While home console HW TTM is up despite Nintendo's home TTM continuing to slide, pretty much entirely due to PS and Xbox managing to bring growth again. How anyone can take that as being rosy for handhelds and poor for home consoles is frankly just strange and ignoring reality.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The short term trend is that it's May.

Everything typically declines in May. I really don't get why after 38 pages people still don't realise that.
This May was exacerbated by extenuating circumstances, namely the announcement of a cheaper SKU for June.

Meanwhile I have no idea how one reconciles a 9% M/M decline due to the monthly transition being stable, while a 1% decline is apparently omg terribadtrend. Or how selling 50% of Jan-Mar in the current quarter so far amounts to a major improvement compared to selling 44% of Jan-Mar.

Total handheld HW TTM is at its lowest point for more than a decade, half of what it was with the GBA alone, and continuing to slide. While home console HW TTM is up despite Nintendo's home TTM continuing to slide, pretty much entirely due to PS and Xbox managing to bring growth again. How anyone can take that as being rosy for handhelds and poor for home consoles is frankly just strange and ignoring reality.

I still think the GBA is somewhat of an unfair comparison especially in the US. The console sold 23m in its short lifetime in the US iirc. I think the stats were in JP the 3DS is ahead easily (already passed the GBA's LTD), in the US 3DS < GBA by quite a bit, and in Europe last I remember, it was about equal. Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a time after the original GB apart from now where Nintendo's handhelds weren't dominating the handheld market fairly easily...

I still think the GBA is somewhat of an unfair comparison especially in the US. The console sold 23m in its short lifetime in the US iirc. I think the stats were in JP the 3DS is ahead easily (already passed the GBA's LTD), in the US 3DS < GBA by quite a bit, and in Europe last I remember, it was about equal. Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a time after the original GB apart from now where Nintendo's handhelds weren't dominating the handheld market fairly easily...
I'm not really specifically comparing the GBA to any particular system, it's simply a proxy for the handheld market at the time, as it had something of a monopoly on the dedicated handheld market at the time (and info on other systems is scarce, besides other systems would only make the comparison even less favorable for the current market).

The system (GBA) had an annualized sales rate of about 7-8.5M. That expanded to around 9-11M in the NDS period for Nintendo's handhelds, and the PSP actually added 3-4M to the annualized rate during its prime. The current rate of handheld sales is about 4.3M, with a little under half a million of that coming from the PSV.

Celine

click to enlarge

A bit messy chart.
Secret of Mana shipped 330K in total outside Japan.

Did the GAF really never get Dragon Quest IX sales...at all??
It opened with 132K in US.
Total shipment outside Japan/Asia is at 1,11M

3DS sales are stable and have actually improved compared to the first few months of the year. I don't see evidence to suggest 3DS sales are likely to decline in the short term. PS4 sales have significantly declined compared to the first few months of the year when it was sold out. The short term trend is downwards hence why I look at it "glass half empty". It might stabilise at 200K, but it is more likely to decline a bit. Worst case scenario being it follows the Xbone into severe monthly declines although I think that's unlikely. Best bet for increasing sales is Destiny but that's not till September. Is there anything significant before then?

No.

Its natural for sales to decline from the holidays and from March to June. Anyone who thinks PS4 sales are worrying by itself doesn't know what they are talking about.

PS4 May 2014 : 197k

360 May 2006 : 221k
360 May 2007 : 155k
360 May 2008 : 186k
360 May 2009 : 175k

And yet 3DS sales aren;t worrying because their stable.......its under 100k but I guess its okay because its stable.

mo60

X1 will have a bump for sure. They are heavily advertising the 399 price tag across television stations all over. If price was truly the only factor, they should at least hit 6 digits.

I am of the persuasion that price was not a meaningful factor into the X1's poor sales. I believe it goes deeper than that, with Brand strength being lower for MS currently and Stronger for Sony at this point.

It will be interesting to see how NPD plays out, but ultimately it will also be interesting to see if the US sales stay in middling numbers and the worldwide numbers are what truly help the consoles hit the various milestones as they fight for that ever delicious 100 million consoles sold.
Japan won't help the consoles that much. Japan may actually kill the chances of any console selling over 100 million if worldwide numbers(mostly in other parts of the world besides Europe) are also not high enough to make up for potential loses in Japan this gen. The PS4 will do great worldwide and in the US, but I'm not sure if it will actually ever beat the 360 in the US or even in NA at this point of time especially if support slows down for by like 2019.All the consoles will have to find a way to make up for lost sales in weaker markets(like Japan) this gen. I do not know if they will all be able to do it.A safe LTD prediction for the PS4 will probably be in the 90 million range for now.

Pociask

I'm not really specifically comparing the GBA to any particular system, it's simply a proxy for the handheld market at the time, as it had something of a monopoly on the dedicated handheld market at the time (and info on other systems is scarce, besides other systems would only make the comparison even less favorable for the current market).

The system (GBA) had an annualized sales rate of about 7-8.5M. That expanded to around 9-11M in the NDS period for Nintendo's handhelds, and the PSP actually added 3-4M to the annualized rate during its prime. The current rate of handheld sales is about 4.3M, with a little under half a million of that coming from the PSV.

Damn. Looking more and more like the day will come when my grandchildren sit on my knee, and ask me what was it like when America played video games on dedicated handheld devices. RIP in peace.

Rolf NB

No.

Its natural for sales to decline from the holidays and from March to June. Anyone who thinks PS4 sales are worrying by itself doesn't know what they are talking about.

Oh wow thank you. I'm so sick and tired of all the "industry doomed" posts in the summer months by partial amnesiacs who can't remember how years work. Maybe you can swing by the MC threads once in a while, I'm running out of energy opposing this nonsense.

And yet 3DS sales aren;t worrying because their stable.......its under 100k but I guess its okay because its stable.
There's logical reasons for everything. Things you take with you on vacation trips are not suffering from summer lulls as much as things you'd rather leave at home, for one.

heidern

If you're going to reply to me there's no point twisting and exaggerating what I say. It's dishonest and hinders any meaningful discussion.

3DS sales are ok, not rosy.
It's sales have shown an improvement over the first quarter, not a major improvement.
They have declined compared to last year but are stable, the rate of decline is not increasing, the opposite actually.

A 1% M/M decline for PS4 is not omg terribadtrend but it is not great, especially considering Watchdogs likely boosted sales for the month. Makes a tough proposition for June to match.
PS4 sales are not poor but they are not great at the moment. Launch window great, but it's still finding its baseline post launch. If the X1 is an indication it could be headed much lower than anyone thought, but we'll find out over the next few months.

Oh wow thank you. I'm so sick and tired of all the "industry doomed" posts in the summer months by partial amnesiacs who can't remember how years work. Maybe you can swing by the MC threads once in a while, I'm running out of energy opposing this nonsense.
And I'm getting tired of pointing out that one single platform doing "middling" does not a healthy industry make.

Home console sales in May 2007 were much higher, in 2006 quite a bit higher. Handheld sales are down an insane level in 2014 versus 2006 and 2007 as well. The dedicated gaming market is shrinking. Higher initial sales on home consoles but a much much more drastic drop off.

Whether that means "industry doomed" depends on if you think market contraction of at least 100 million units in home consoles and 150 million units in handheld is doomed. I do. Especially given that budgets are rising exponentially with a much lower userbase to sell too.

No.

Interestingly enough, Sony's 197K PS4 sold this month actually outclasses any prior PS3 performance except for May 2008:

May 2007 PS3 - 82K
May 2008 PS3 - 209K
May 2009 PS3 - 131K
May 2010 PS3 - 154K
May 2011 PS3 - 175K
May 2012 PS3 - 129K
May 2013 PS3 - 85K
May 2014 PS3 - 36K

No wonder SCEA is happy with PS4's monthly performance. It's a shame they don't have a PS2-effect this gen since their PS3 sales are quickly fading away into nothing.

3DS sales are ok, not rosy.
It's sales have shown an improvement over the first quarter, not a major improvement.
They have declined compared to last year but are stable, the rate of decline is not increasing, the opposite actually.

A 1% M/M decline for PS4 is not omg terribadtrend but it is not great, especially considering Watchdogs likely boosted sales for the month. Makes a tough proposition for June to match.
PS4 sales are not poor but they are not great at the moment. Launch window great, but it's still finding its baseline post launch. If the X1 is an indication it could be headed much lower than anyone thought, but we'll find out over the next few months.
You're conflating m/m and y/y declines and absolute sales.

3DS sales are not particularly okay. They are considerably lower than the equivalent PSP tracking. Its percentage declines y/y were lower these last two months, from already low numbers. It will likely see a much greater y/y decline next month from last year's 225k. It's m/m declines are par for the course. That doesn't make its sub-100k sales okay for this part of the cycle.

PS4 sales are okay. We have no y/y comps. Its m/m trends are perfectly normal. And its absolute numbers are okay. It isn't hard to match in June because June carries an extra week. The XBO sales this month aren't an indication of anything besides that announcing a lower priced SKU earlier will negatively affect sales.

Whether that means "industry doomed" depends on if you think market contraction of at least 100 million units in home consoles and 150 million units in handheld is doomed. I do. Especially given that budgets are rising exponentially with a much lower userbase to sell too.
Double post but on phone so lazy.

The talk of losing, future tense, x million units leading to industry doom never really makes sense to me. It should really be past tense. The effect of the Wii's collapse and the effect of handheld market slide have been in effect for years. It's like saying the loss of x million units of music games and peripherals going forward amounts to doom. I.e. if the industry is to be doomed then aren't we already there?

It's a shame they don't have a PS2-effect this gen since their PS3 sales are quickly fading away into nothing.

A sub-$100 PS3 would do it, but Sony seem either unwilling or unable to do it.
They could be unwilling as a super cheap PS3 potentially distracts from their plans for PS Now, they could be unable because of the esoteric nature of the Cell.

They could be unwilling as a super cheap PS3 potentially distracts from their plans for PS Now, they could be unable because of the esoteric nature of the Cell.

While Sony with PS3 is certainly more in need of a price cut on the PS3 ASAP, I'm surprised that neither them nor MS dropped price this E3 considering their last gen sales. Are pricedrops more common during winter perhaps for the holidays?

AniHawk

While Sony with PS3 is certainly more in need of a price cut on the PS3 ASAP, I'm surprised that neither them nor MS dropped price this E3 considering their last gen sales. Are pricedrops more common during winter perhaps for the holidays?

microsoft and sony don't care about the bigger market or families a whole lot (microsoft did, but pretty much stopped after a year). you can still buy an xbox 360 for $299.99 for chrissakes. the ps2 stopped being $299.99 in early 2002.

microsoft and sony don't care about the bigger market or families a whole lot (microsoft did, but pretty much stopped after a year). you can still buy an xbox 360 for $299.99 for chrissakes. the ps2 stopped being $299.99 in early 2002.

It's odd to me I guess as limiting yourself to a smaller market perhaps even a more lucrative market potentially at least per user seems short-sighted. Sony has to know how much of PS2's install base came at the cheaper sales points so I guess it is a straight up choice on their part

I think PS Now is in part a reaction to the fact that Sony isn't going to be able to make the PS3 super cheap due to its idiotic architecture. They needed another way to attack the low end of the market.

Imru’ al-Qays;117666164 said:
I think PS Now is in part a reaction to the fact that Sony isn't going to be able to make the PS3 super cheap due to its idiotic architecture. They needed another way to attack the low end of the market.

Possibly, but it seemed to me that PS Now is more of an attempt to further future proof whats looking like the end of dedicated gaming consoles by transitioning into software as a service so "playstation 5" is an app you install on your [whatever].

I think it's unlikely the PS3 and 360 could last three or four years into this new cycle, even at a lower price point, in the same way the PS2 did. The latter had only had 5 years on the market. We're 2-3 years past that (depending on if one considers the Wii U a suitable transitional successor for the 7th gen HD platforms).

Who exactly is buying the PS3 or 360 now if not late-adopting demographics...? Who has been buying them for the last couple years?

Is the suggestion that the number of people who buy a system mid-cycle grew significantly last gen and that lasted for an extended period, and that there's still a large untapped late-cycle market? Wouldn't it make sense that these late adopters have already been buying these systems, even with the higher pricepoints, and they're therefore just at a saturation point.

There's probably some degree of overlap between them, but up to half the households in the US have one or the other. How high is the penetration supposed to get? How long do people wait for something that will probably never happen (e.g. $100 PS3).

There's probably some degree of overlap between them, but up to half the households in the US have one or the other. How high is the penetration supposed to get?

Bolded the significant part.
The PS3 is an excellent media player apart from its games capabilities and at a sub-$100 pricepoint isn't just tempting to 360 only owners (of which there are more of in the US) but also to potential Roku / AppleTV / Chromecast buyers.
EDIT: or of course just as an alternative to a generic bluray player

It would be ludicrous if there is no price drop for both this fall

Is it a possibility that Sony will discontinue the PS3 instead of dropping the price?

I mean, 35K indicates extremely low demand / not all that much stock refreshes. I can't imagine retailers will want it that much longer.

Maybe PS3 will mirror PS2's November / December 2010 and still manage ~150K over the holidays.

Is it a possibility that Sony will discontinue the PS3 instead of dropping the price?

I mean, 35K indicates extremely low demand / not all that much stock refreshes. I can't imagine retailers will want it that much longer.

Maybe PS3 will mirror PS2's November / December 2010 and still manage ~150K over the holidays.

No way. PS3 will likely get a price drop and maybe a new sku that was rumored about a month ago. I don't see them stopping production anywhere until 2015. I don't see them stopping production for US until 2016 unless a new gen is as close as some people are expecting.

No way. PS3 will likely get a price drop and maybe a new sku that was rumored about a month ago. I don't see them stopping production anywhere until 2015. I don't see them stopping production for US until 2016 unless a new gen is as close as some people are expecting.

It's interesting that Sony is remaining so steadfast to their "10 year plan"...

I don't think people in this thread know about all of these numbers...PS2 sales became extremely rare in Sales-Age as the PS2 reached its twilight years.

Regardless, here is an interesting tidbit: so far, the very late life of the PS2 (think PS2 2010 sales) looks eerily similar to the current situation for the PS3 (2014 sales):

PS2 January 2009: 101K
PS2 February 2009: 131K
PS2 March 2009: 112K
PS2 April 2009: 172K
PS2 May 2009: 117K

PS2 January 2010: -61% YOY
PS2 February 2010: -22% YOY
PS2 March 2010: +5% YOY
PS2 April 2010: -74% YOY
PS2 May 2010: -72% YOY

Compare this to the following:

PS3 January 2013: 202K
PS3 February 2013: 263K
PS3 March 2013: 211K
PS3 April 2013: 101K
PS3 May 2013: 85K

PS3 January 2014: -67% YOY (ADJ)
PS3 February 2014: -61% YOY
PS3 March 2014: -68% YOY
PS3 April 2014: -65% YOY
PS3 May 2014: -57% YOY

The numbers fluctuate a bit from month to month, but their overall 2010 / 2014 progression, and their May numbers, are quite similar.

This gives me an indication that PS3 will continue to mirror PS2's 2010 / 2011 / 2012 trends, but at a faster rate. So what took PS2 three years to slowly fade away into irrelevance, I'm guessing will happen to PS3 over 2014 and the first part of 2015.

Top Bottom