• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Square2015

MAY NPD HISTORICAL SALES REPORT:

An in depth analysis of the past five cycles for Nintendo. At the bottom are the significant game releases, so comparisons should be made with what titles were available between generations. The list includes titles that charted high or debuted over 100k. Click to see it all.
[I would like to be able to get the entire generation on one chart eventually :p]
8Th8Vev.png

@ = LTD, shortened for convenience for the typer.

WiiU - MAY 2015

Splatoon (#5) debuts strong in its first week with 136k, likely lifting WiiU from the post-Easter slow period in the final week of the month and keeping sales flat MoM. The other next-gen consoles saw double digit declines MoM. ...not that any of this makes much difference as WiiU holds a distant 3rd place, with just 21% share this gen (thanks ZhugeEX).

Wii - MAY 2009

Wii sells 290,000 and reaches 20 million LTD this month, that would be 17% of households in the US (at the time). WiiU sales are still nearly double the competition this month (175,000 for X360 and 131,000 for PS3). Sales were mostly flat for all consoles MoM.

Wii Fit (#2) which was the best seller last month falls one rank and sells another insane 353,000 @7.3m LTD, knocked out by UFC 2009 for X360 (680k sold!). EA's Sports Active debuts (#3) strong with 346,000. The sequel to the NES 2million seller, Punch-Out!! (#8), debuts with 157,000 and Mario Kart Wii (#7) LTD passes 6 million!

GC - MAY 2004

Gamecube sales slow to 78,000, down from 96k last month. PS2 had a price drop to $149 and sales reached a quarter million for the month pulling it back ahead of XB. XB had a surprise early price drop last month, the big one that would propel the system to see its best year yet.

The #1 title is Red Dead Revolver (PS2) with 135k. The highest GC title is March's hit Pokémon Coliseum (#4) with 57,000 @ 555,000 LTD. The "cube" version of Shrek 2 (#15) debuted lowest among the three consoles with 54k. Nintendo's Custom Robo (#17) debuted with a modest 48,000. Harvest Moon: a wonderful life (#44) sells 28,000 @ 132k.
Next month Zelda: four swords adventure!

N64 - MAY '99

N64 sells 114k, down slightly from 120k last month. Sales are offset by the new Star Wars: Ep 1 racer bundle just released. Star Wars Episode One, the movie, was release this month, so for all those who remember, you remember the "mood" of this month. The PSX sold 165k a greater drop % wise MoM compared to N64.

Super Smash Bros for N64 ;) was #1 for its first full month with an impressive 278,000 sold, 400k total now. SW Episode One: Racer, stand alone edition (at #2), debuts with 140,000. February's hit, Mario Party (#4), holds strong with 69,000 @ 654k LTD...wow! We have a platinum seller on its way.
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest (#29) debuts poorly with just 26,000...where's the hype guys? Beetle Adventure Racing fades to #34 @ 122k LTD.
Next month: Superman 64!

SNES - MAY '94

SNES sells just under 120k, sales are flat for the month thanks to another super set bundle, this time with Star Fox. These bundles prove to be successful as the SNES tops the Genesis this month, a first in quite some time. The Genesis sells just under 110k.

Number 1 is NBA Jam (Genesis version) again with another 100k sold putting sales at 920k, just the Genesis version. SNES version is at 560k LTD. Super Metroid (#2) moves up with 83,000 sold @ 140k. Ken Griffey Jr. (#5) sells a nice 56,000 @ 174k. Sega's World Series Baseball (#4) is one rank above Griffey with 63,000 @ 188k LTD...still so close, and impressive for NoA to be able to compete with Sega Sports with this brand new IP. February's groundhog day special, Sonic 3 (#6), narrows in on 500k LTD.

APR '15: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164498712&postcount=2484
MAR '15: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163487902&postcount=3799
XMAS report '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152533238&postcount=2394
SEP '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134923372&postcount=5568
AUG '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130360538&postcount=2855

Abdiel

I honestly think it's a mistake.

Maybe it was in another thread? Some of his language used was obnoxious/confrontational, but he wasn't throwing crap like some of the other banned Juniors from the last 2 months.

I swear, these threads are always really interesting for me to read, after my contributions in the predictions, and then just watching the analysis.

Ty4on

Dreamcast was not a homerun for Sega but seeing the gamecube sales, they should have kept the dreamcast going another 1-2 years and release a new console in 2003.
It was only able to sell that much after tons of discounts and marketing stunts. Sega used up all their money and couldn't keep it going. The one good thing with the WiiU is that Nintendo didn't spend a lot investing in software and price drops that many may have wanted and prevented it from draining more money. The Dreamcast had to make up for Shenmue which has the biggest budget on any game back then.
Why did Doctor get banned?
Didn't he claim to have insider knowledge?

DC1

Doctor was obviously an alt of a banned person. Not hard to comprehend.

Either
-Kissing up (nothing wrong with that),
-Hidden or public love affair (nothing wrong with that)
Or
Bribery, through a chocolate addiction

Reasons for name tag

It was only able to sell that much after tons of discounts and marketing stunts. Sega used up all their money and couldn't keep it going. The one good thing with the WiiU is that Nintendo didn't spend a lot investing in software and price drops that many may have wanted and prevented it from draining more money. The Dreamcast had to make up for Shenmue which has the biggest budget on any game back then.

Actually, I think he did. Maybe turns out......he didn't.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is it weird that I actually think of zhuge as a dynasty warriors character?

As opposed to what? haha

Being old, I'm having a real hard time adapting to aiming vertically with motion control. People say it takes time before it clicks but it's like trying to read Cyrillic for me right now.

I was always going to get the game but just don't have time to play it right now.

Tbh I'm not sure how the motion control works in this game. I may just turn it off if it's annoying. I assume you can do that?

Oh maybe that was it.

Despite Dreamcast selling a mere 32 units this month it still remains ahead of WiiU...but we're down to a gap of 11,167 units.
I'm fairly certain the Dreamcast sold 4.1 million in the USA?

It did.

His data must be wrong. There is no way the gap is that small yet.

So.

Do you guys think E3 will have an impact on June NPD?

Nintendo remains incredibly stubborn about Wii U's price, likely due to high sunk manufacturing costs and resignation towards Wii U's fate at USA retail, so I expect June Wii U sales a good deal below June 2014.

Nintendo's E3 was so hype-deflating that I'm actually expecting the widely-negative feedback to dampen Wii U hardware adoption in June.

The fact that NCL's Twitter account has already apologized about it is telling.

Sandfox

It did.

His data must be wrong. There is no way the gap is that small yet.

Nintendo remains incredibly stubborn about Wii U's price, likely due to high sunk manufacturing costs and resignation towards Wii U's fate at USA retail, so I expect June Wii U sales a good deal below June 2014.

Nintendo's E3 was so hype-deflating that I'm actually expecting the widely-negative feedback to dampen Wii U hardware adoption in June.

The fact that NCL's Twitter account has already apologized about it is telling.
I think the lack of a new Mario Kart will have a bigger effect than E3. I'm not really sure which audience is buying the Wii U at this point though.

I think the lack of a new Mario Kart will have a bigger effect than E3. I'm not really sure which audience is buying the Wii U at this point though.

The Wii U still attracts a smattering of hardcore and families. Every month more hardcore decide to buy one because the amount of exclusives reaches a critical mass where it becomes worth purchasing, and every month more families buy into the marketing on places like children's TV networks.

12 million unique viewers watched the pre-E3 press conferences on Twitch last year, many of those hardcore gamers who may consider a Wii U purchase.

That's why I'm expecting that their mediocre-at-best E3 presentation will adversely affect new Wii U sales in June somewhat. It would have been a big drop anyway because of Mario Kart's presence last June, but this will make the drop even steeper, even if just by 5-10K.

Welfare

So.

Do you guys think E3 will have an impact on June NPD?

I couldn't watch the Nintendo Digital Event, but I guess that was incredibly disappointing going by what I've seen. Like Grim said, it probably will dampen the sales for June, which is also helped by the high price point the Wii U has and no Mario Kart.

Sony announced a lot of games that aren't even for this year, so any uptick in sales would be from people that were going to buy one anyway and are going to start getting into the PS4 ecosystem, waiting for those games.

Microsoft had announcements for this year and beyond, but the only announcement that I could see having an impact on June NPD is backwards compatibility. 360 users now know the games they own will be able to be played on the One, and will be able to buy the new games that come out in the holidays.

However, I don't think the E3 effect will give either console a huge swing of sales one way or the other.

Sandfox

The Wii U still attracts a smattering of hardcore and families. Every month more hardcore decide to buy one because the amount of exclusives reaches a critical mass where it becomes worth purchasing, and every month more families buy into the marketing on places like children's TV networks.

12 million unique viewers watched the pre-E3 press conferences on Twitch last year, many of those hardcore gamers who may consider a Wii U purchase.

That's why I'm expecting that their mediocre-at-best E3 presentation will adversely affect new Wii U sales in June somewhat. It would have been a big drop anyway because of Mario Kart's presence last June, but this will make the drop even steeper, even if just by 5-10K.

The thing I'm curious about is the ratio between hardcore and families because the families probably won't be affected by this at all while core gamers possibly could be. Either way sales are going to be lower though.

I couldn't watch the Nintendo Digital Event, but I guess that was incredibly disappointing going by what I've seen. Like Grim said, it probably will dampen the sales for June, which is also helped by the high price point the Wii U has and no Mario Kart.

Sony announced a lot of games that aren't even for this year, so any uptick in sales would be from people that were going to buy one anyway and are going to start getting into the PS4 ecosystem, waiting for those games.

Microsoft had announcements for this year and beyond, but the only announcement that I could see having an impact on June NPD is backwards compatibility. 360 users now know the games they own will be able to be played on the One, and will be able to buy the new games that come out in the holidays.

However, I don't think the E3 effect will give either console a huge swing of sales one way or the other.
Agree. Backwards compatibility will help xbox a lot to convince people to finally jump.
If in the end they find out that backwards compatibility does not work for all games is another story.

That's why I'm expecting that their mediocre-at-best E3 presentation will adversely affect new Wii U sales in June somewhat.

Given we're more than halfway through the tracking period that doesn't seem likely.
If anything I'd imagine a slight hardware bump over May as Splatoon sales are taken into account.

Given we're more than halfway through the tracking period that doesn't seem likely.
If anything I'd imagine a slight hardware bump over May as Splatoon sales are taken into account.

I'm not talking about slight increases from May. Slight increases in June are natural, considering the five-week retail period, along with the fact that there is generally a natural surge in hardcore adoption in June *because* of E3.

I'm talking about steeper-than-normal declines year-over-year, even if the effect only ends up being 5-10K in the end.

Gaf

While Amazon doesn't give precise numbers but is recognized as indicative of the wider market trend, has anyone followed what's happened to that chart after each conference.

The hourly top 100 has belonged to PS4 since the Sony conference ended?

Kathian

Banned

Huh? They already have MK on Wii U? Why would another change hardware sales?

Nothing at E3 will impact next month. Everyone preaching to the converted.

Top Bottom