• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Ep. 1, aka that podcast with Shawn, N'Gai, Jeff, Luke, and Robert

loving the commentary on social networking and the internet

N'gai made a great point in regards to what Luke was saying about local media and/or community.

Eel O'Brian said:
re: "Kicks Listen Up from playlist*

I've noticed statements like this in other threads. Why do people feel the need to crap on one podcast to announce their support for another? I mean, that's a pretty busted and childish way of showing your approval, don't you think?
Oh no nothing like that, I just happened to have it running when I noticed this thread. :p

No douchebaggery intended.

Zen

Banned
Is this 'the crew' or is it a one time thing? I don't want to say 'all they need is Shane' because with a lineup like that they don't need anyone, but Shane would pretty much complete this podcast.

GhaleonQ

1. I go to a college that sends a lot of people to high-profile jobs and that also has a reputation for heavy alcohol use. I don't think that there's going to be as much airing of indiscretions as you guys think. There are basically 3 groups:

-Maximalists who do crazy things but don't reflect on them. Think Bill Clinton.
-Kids very conscious of their status. They have the money to pay for search result erasures. They consciously try to get rid of any paper/picture trail. They make their social networking pages oriented toward public examination from the very beginning. At the political publication I work on, for example, graduating seniors have the option to delete or remove the byline from any of the pieces that they wrote.
-Introverted people who try to "stay off the grid" as much as possible. Even as undergraduates, they make sure that they avoid saying controversial stuff in debates, since it will likely be accessible in the future. They don't really use Facebook or go to parties. They don't do extracurricular writing and try to avoid associating with organizations (college or otherwise) until they're willing to take any future consequences.

2. According to a different podcast I heard, P. Diddy twittered a tantric sex session. So, yeah, the Twitter date barrier has been surpassed.

FartOfWar

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
1. I go to a college that sends a lot of people to high-profile jobs and that also has a reputation for heavy alcohol use. I don't think that there's going to be as much airing of indiscretions as you guys think. There are basically 3 groups:

-Maximalists who do crazy things but don't reflect on them. Think Bill Clinton.
-Kids very conscious of their status. They have the money to pay for search result erasures. They consciously try to get rid of any paper/picture trail. They make their social networking pages oriented toward public examination from the very beginning. At the political publication I work on, for example, graduating seniors have the option to delete or remove the byline from any of the pieces that they wrote.
-Introverted people who try to "stay off the grid" as much as possible. Even as undergraduates, they make sure that they avoid saying controversial stuff in debates, since it will likely be accessible in the future. They don't really use Facebook or go to parties. They don't do extracurricular writing and try to avoid associating with organizations (college or otherwise) until they're willing to take any future consequences.

2. According to a different podcast I heard, P. Diddy twittered a tantric sex session. So, yeah, the Twitter date barrier has been surpassed.

Super fascinating as always.

Cohsae

I'd just like to add that "The Cracker" is referred to as Soggy SAO in Australia, named after a popular brand of cracker.

GhaleonQ said:

You read about the NBA player who twittered during halftime of his game (Charlie Villanueva) :lol

Poolman

Banned
Fuckin' awesome. I don't know if it was worth the sleep I lost when I've got somewhere to be in 5 hours, but it was an awesome podcast nonetheless. The discussion on how the internet has affected this generation's lives hit pretty close to home. Thanks for all of the book recommendations too. Keep the circle jerks CUMIN' ;D See what I did there?

Erudite

Loved it- the last 5 minutes especially. A great mix of interesting discussion with good laughs. Hope it becomes a semi-weekly show, if not weekly.

Edit:
DuckRacer said:
I don't think it's on iTunes yet, but you can add/drag the RSS Feed to your podcast section in iTunes and it'll download into there, just like if you actually subscribed to something within iTunes. I figured that out recently.

edit: 1:56:09

Dude... Thanks for the heads up. Had no idea about this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see that this came to pass. Downloading now.

Thanks to everyone involved. :)

voltron

DuckRacer said:
I don't think it's on iTunes yet, but you can add/drag the RSS Feed to your podcast section in iTunes and it'll download into there, just like if you actually subscribed to something within iTunes. I figured that out recently.

edit: 1:56:09

holy shit, really? Thats the most amazing thing Ive ever heard. Can you then update it through iTunes too, by hitting "Update podcast"?

Thanks for the tip.

edit, also lolz at N'Gai giving away Lukes twitter account in his last tweet. I thought Luke said his twitter was private? Its not anymore:lol (unless this is a decoy LukeSmith)

voltron

Ok its a decoy. RedSmiffleBrown is not Luke Smith (his blog describes him as a student). Im thinking it was a joke they did to see how many followers they could get for some random twitter user names Luke Smith:lol

amusing

Deep Crow

Neo Member
This was a fantastic first episode. Unlike many podcasts out there today, the show never seemed to drag and the crew moved through topics at a great pace. The Facebook/new media discussion in the first segment was particularly great. I can't wait for more.

voltron

Deep Crow said:
This was a fantastic first episode. Unlike many podcasts out there today, the show never seemed to drag and the crew moved through topics at a great pace. The Facebook/new media discussion in the first segment was particularly great. I can't wait for more.

Do they talk at all about the games theyre playing? I really hope they do a little of that each podcast at least.

voltron said:
Do they talk at all about the games theyre playing? I really hope they do a little of that each podcast at least.
Ugh, I really hope they don't. I'm really tired of virtually every gaming podcast doing this for almost an hour each podcast.

voltron

Shalashaska said:
Ugh, I really hope they don't. I'm really tired of virtually every gaming podcast doing this for almost an hour each podcast.

Just briefly is all I want. I just want them to be able to mentions something about a game if they want, but dont necxessarily have to or do it every week.

What i mean is I hope the strictness of "no games" is flexible if need be.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Shalashaska said:
Yeah, I just hate when those gaming podcasts talk about games. They shouldn't be allowed to talk about their gaming experiences whatsoever.

Cohsae

IIRC there's some brief RE5 chat but I think that's about it for games. Instead of "whatcha been playing?" they did "whatcha been consuming?"

voltron said:
Just briefly is all I want. I just want them to be able to mentions something about a game if they want, but dont necxessarily have to or do it every week.

What i mean is I hope the strictness of "no games" is flexible if need be.
I could go along with that, 15-20 minutes max though. I've gotten to the point where I skip ahead of the 'What'cha been playing section' in iTunes before putting them on my iPod. Only one I bother listening to are the Giant Bomb guys because of the personalities. Which now thinking about it might actually work here as a couple of the guys are really hilarious to listen to.

Cdammen

Oh god. This is like the best thing that's happened to the video game radio/podcast world :D

Thanks guys, for making my commute fun today!

Cohsae said:
IIRC there's some brief RE5 chat but I think that's about it for games. Instead of "whatcha been playing?" they did "whatcha been consuming?"

Which lead to some awesome talk about what music Luke's been listening to. I'm now gonna check out that DJ Neil Armstrong mixtape N'Gai mentioned.

Mar

DuckRacer said:

You sir, are a god among men. You have no idea how much time this saves me. God I hate waiting for itunes to refresh.

Top Bottom