• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Ep. 1, aka that podcast with Shawn, N'Gai, Jeff, Luke, and Robert

voltron

guys I whipped up a quick image for use in iTunes podcast feed. (just go right click - get info add artwork). feel free to use it obviously.

OOTG.png

doesnt look too bad I reckon:

Untitled-3copy.png

GhaleonQ

FartOfWar said:
Super fascinating as always.

Much appreciated. I don't know if it was by luck or by plan, but the show flowed really well. Each topic got enough time, and you offered a direction when each one was exhausted. As long as someone has a surplus of ideas, the show seems like it'll be great.

Proc

Good discussion to go along with some great topics. I'd totally love to have a drink with all of the members present and discuss the hell out of everything, which means to me it must be a great podcast. Here's hoping we get more to listen to.

Gowans

Dragged straight to iTunes podcast section, thanks for the tip.

Downloading and really can't wait to listen to what the guys have produced.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished listening. Good opening episode. There was perhaps a bit of an absence of chemistry between some of the guys at the beginning, but I'd imagine that that was just a result of the whole first episode of a new Skype podcast thing. By the end of the episode things started warming up. I'm looking forward to seeing where you guys take this in the future.

This made for good background listening as I was blasting some zombies in Mercenaries mode in RE5.

Thanks, as always, to the whole group. It was very entertaining, and interesting. Much appreciated.

Willeth

Re digital death:

One of my brother's friends tragically died recently. He was a backpacker before he went to university (where he met my brother) and had friends all around the world, who he kept in touch with through Facebook (which, as an aside, he wouldn't have been able to do pre-Internet).

Facebook became a great place for people to communicate and express their wishes and memories of him, especially those halfway around the world who couldn't be there in person. People wrote readings for the service and posted them there for everyone to read.

My brother could probably speak better to whether it helped bereavement, but from my perspective it seemed to help him. It was how his family got in touch with his friends to let them know what had happened - it was the only way to contact some of them, because of course he had friends that his parents didn't know.

It did lead to a weird situation which is very emblematic of the Internet's instant dissemination of information, where my brother had to almost race to tell certain people (who were very close to his friend) in person or on the phone. He was adamant that the first they hear of it not be through Facebook.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I turn 35 next month so I'm pretty much in the same group of the pre digital advent like Shawn and Jeff, I was one of the last high school classes that had to take a typing class. A lot of the stuff like Facebook and twitter isn't necessarily foreign to me, but kind of superfluous. I can see the appeal of Facebook I guess, I don't see any appeal in twitter. I'll probably never participate in either. Message boards are pretty much my ceiling for digital interaction. Great podcast!

andycapps

For everyone with Zune Marketplace, you can drag and drop into that as well I believe. Don't have my laptop right now so not completely sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dave Prager, one of the guys behind Rev3, twittered as someone was breaking into his house.

On TWiT, his explanation was that it was "natural" to just post on his twitter AND set up a live ustream of the guy walking around his house at 4 in the morning.

That's what the world is coming to.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
voltron said:
guys I whipped up a quick image for use in iTunes podcast feed. (just go right click - get info add artwork). feel free to use it obviously.

OOTG.png

doesnt look too bad I reckon:

Untitled-3copy.png

:lol :lol Nice joke

DKehoe

Looking forward to more of those in the future.
Seems like Twitter is getting mentioned everywhere these days; nice to hear people talking about it critically instead of the usual sort of discussion of people fawning over it. That sort of thing always reminds me of when journalists write articles about Second Life being the future of the internet because Nike started selling virtual shoes there. The thing N'Gai mentioned about Newsweek having a regular feature about what game industry people have been posting on their twitters sounds pretty bad though.

andycapps

At the point in the podcast where they're talking about Twitter. I could see it being challenging for them drawing the line on what updates to post on there when you've got over 3000 people following you. I think I have 25-30 right now. So the difference there is obviously that the people that are on my Twitter are the people I actually know. So I'm able to basically have conversations with them via posts, replies, direct messages, etc. I think of it as a modern chat room. But if I had 3000 followers, my posts and replies would be much more general and stuff that I didn't want people knowing about my life.

Downloading now, and I can't wait to listen. I respect the opinions of Jeff, Shawn, and Luke 100% even if I only agree with them 50%. I've never thought so highly of people I'll never meet.

N'Gai and Dr. Max Chill - I like you guys too, don't get me wrong. I've just not been listening to you as long.

/banana ride over

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I enjoyed the podcast. Thought-provoking. Sometimes it is fun just to think about what life was like before.

Flavius

andycapps said:
At the point in the podcast where they're talking about Twitter. I could see it being challenging for them drawing the line on what updates to post on there when you've got over 3000 people following you. I think I have 25-30 right now. So the difference there is obviously that the people that are on my Twitter are the people I actually know. So I'm able to basically have conversations with them via posts, replies, direct messages, etc. I think of it as a modern chat room. But if I had 3000 followers, my posts and replies would be much more general and stuff that I didn't want people knowing about my life.

I skipped through the podcast here and there last night and plan on giving it a full listen on the ride into my office tomorrow, so I apologize if I'm misinterpreting folks on the podcast. Didn't someone (was it Robert?) mention something about wanting to use Twitter to carry a conversation? That seemed bizarre to me in that, if I really wanted to have a conversation with someone, I'd choose a method of conversing with someone that didn't limit me to 140 characters (or whatever the hell the limit is).

I think of Twitter as a sort of invitation to carry or continue a conversation elsewhere (aka planting a seed of a discussion to be continued on a forum, on a podcast, in chat...or even a one-party, self-contained conversation within the reader/follower's own mind), and as a game that involves seeing how creative you can be within the constraints of the character limitations.

Someone referenced Twitter as being somewhat superfluous, and to an extent, I agree. Like most, I enjoy conversations on a number of topics. Given a choice, I prefer these discussions be carried out face to face, or at least via phone and not something so impersonal and lacking in intonation as email or chat. But when it comes to discussing games, ludology, game criticism and the like, I have limited options, particularly when compared to the range of other topics I can discuss at work (a local university), at home, or in various social settings. Were you to check my twitter, you'd see that I am following a rather limited number of peeps (I think around 40 or so), and have substantially less than that following me. I am perfectly fine with that. For me, Twitter is simply another means of keeping up with something that I enjoy and seeing if something piques my interest within the realm (videogames) that led to me establishing my account in the first instance.

zaidr

I really wish they were all in the same room when doing this podcast.

That said, just listened to about half of the podcast, and I have to say, very interesting, at least hearing these peoples side of coping with becoming internet personalities.

I am happy to hear N'Gai and Robert addressing the problem of serendipity in an information space that is moving towards becoming more and more narrowed for each individual. I've heard the same concerns brought up on TWiT a few months ago, where people are becoming like "2 ships passing in the night", each caught up their own little world.

Theres maybe enough just video game news to get soak up all your free time on the net these days, let alone anything else you may be interested in...but getting a broader perspective is getting lost on the net. I personally never read newspapers anymore, but I guess I try and get that from reddit these days. Still, aggregated news and news compiled by "news professionals" can be very different, I understand.

Just addressing the Jenkem topic, don't bash it till you try it.
j/k :D
But seriously though, the old media (tv news, talkshows) becoming the playthings of the new media is not only highly entertaining (Opra saying "Theres over 9000 pedophiles on our forums alone"), but its kind of ominous in a way...we all know the prevailing nature of the internet, and to see that force so easily play with the stalwarts of old media is awe aspiring and frightening in a way.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm halfway through, gonna take a break. Loving it so far. Quality is better than acceptable. I really like the Twitter/Facebook talk. I'll listen to it later, after I hit some Butt-hash.

1-D_FTW

zaidr said:
I really wish they were all in the same room when doing this podcast.

That said, just listened to about half of the podcast, and I have to say, very interesting, at least hearing these peoples side of coping with becoming internet personalities.

I am happy to hear N'Gai and Robert addressing the problem of serendipity in an information space that is moving towards becoming more and more narrowed for each individual. I've heard the same concerns brought up on TWiT a few months ago, where people are becoming like "2 ships passing in the night", each caught up their own little world.

Theres maybe enough just video game news to get soak up all your free time on the net these days, let alone anything else you may be interested in...but getting a broader perspective is getting lost on the net. I personally never read newspapers anymore, but I guess I try and get that from reddit these days. Still, aggregated news and news compiled by "news professionals" can be very different, I understand.

Just addressing the Jenkem topic, don't bash it till you try it.
j/k :D
But seriously though, the old media (tv news, talkshows) becoming the playthings of the new media is not only highly entertaining (Opra saying "Theres over 9000 pedophiles on our forums alone"), but its kind of ominous in a way...we all know the prevailing nature of the internet, and to see that force so easily play with the stalwarts of old media is awe aspiring and frightening in a way.

I purposely have my RSS homepage (that I select from while eating breakfast) plugged with a bunch of diverse sites (including a number of hard news sites) just for that very reason. It's way too easy to become insular in your news if you don't consciously make efforts.

border

If this were a gaming podcast I'd be happy to hear Shane get DP'ed by Shawn and Luke, but it isn't.

Shane would not really fit in with this crowd and these topics.....he's not really that thoughtful or interested in this sort of thing. I really don't care what he has to say about Facebook or Twitter.

LCfiner

almost done with the episode.

yeah, there's some hiccups early on with the skype lag and people talking over each other but I figure they'll all get over that with time.

Loved the first topic about growing up in the digital age. I've thought about a lot of this myself the last couple years as I got into facebook and twitter and it was nice to hear some different viewpoints on the topic.

Most of my real life friends are luddites when it comes to this stuff so I don't use twitter to keep up with friends. I'm a total consumer of content on the platform. My incoming twitter feed is like my list of RSS feeds. something to check up on during work breaks or in the grocery line. And I like following people that view twitter as a lightweight entertainment platform.

And all the early N'gai haters can suck it. He was damn good on the show... Although I admit I was thinking it's "totally an N'gai move" to bring up a Lynch movie right away. :lol

I hope the guys can keep doing this every couple weeks. It'd be good to hear these guys interact on a regular basis.

also, I think I heard some snickering when Luke mentioned listening to the Velvet underground in college. Eff that. The VU are awesome and groundbreaking. And following up with Lou Reed's solo albums is a great Rock and Roll education.

Top Bottom