• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Ep. 1, aka that podcast with Shawn, N'Gai, Jeff, Luke, and Robert

On the rap "tip" (as the kids say) I have to recommend Sage Francis. I don't know if anyone else has in this thread, but if you like Def/Kwali/Rappers who have a brain in their head -- he's another.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
excellent work. the fact that you guys sustained a topic for well over an hour is impressive and refreshing, considering how many podcasts bounce around topic to topic without ever sinking their teeth into anything.

maintain that focus. it will make your show different and in the long run much more quality.

Kade

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Iron Galaxy" by Cannibal Ox. It's the instrumental but go get The Cold Vein by them right now, do not pass go.

Will do. I've always hated most of the Def Jux stuff, but I'm beginning to like it now.

Barrett2

About 30 minute in... seems like pretty good quality of discussion considering the Skype limitations of not being in the same room, etc.

DangerStepp

lawblob said:
About 30 minute in... seems like pretty good quality of discussion considering the Skype limitations of not being in the same room, etc.

Yeah, sound quality is a non issue. I could listen to these guys talk through a garbage can full of water.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the oranges sound awesome. i'm going to have to hunt some down now.

i've been hooked on ambrosia apples lately. so perfect.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DangerStepp said:
:lol
In that case, I'll keep on the lookout. Though, I doubt I'll find many in Louisiana.

did a little google searching and found this place where you can order them when they're in season:

CITRUS GROVES

i'm adding my name to their mailing list and ordering a case when available.

DangerStepp

beelzebozo said:
did a little google searching and found this place where you can order them when they're in season:

CITRUS GROVES

i'm adding my name to their mailing list and ordering a case when available.
Thanks, man. I'm going to look into that if the price isn't too outrageous.

totally agree with what Shawn was talking about with the parts in RE5 where you can either fight or run from a situation. In one point in chapter 5 I saw a huge enemy and a path out of there, and because both Sheva and I were low on health, I decided to run for it up those stairs and this caused a QTE to pop up. Second time I did this I decided to stay and fight, killed the enemy, then walked up the stairs without any QTE and just a casual romp. The best part was that I was greatly rewarded for killing that boss, almost like the game appreciated that I took the effort to take out this strong enemy when I didn't need to.

Stuff like that is really cool to me. So many games really focus on you winning / clearing out a room before you could advance that you never have odds this big stacked against you. Games that make that kind of gameplay work for the narrative is also really cool; the original ZoE ended with
a boss battle you couldn't win no matter how good you were and how hard you fought.
RE5 doesn't really do that, but it's still more than most games.

Tetsuo9

Crescendo170 said:
Good show. I do wish there was more gaming-discussion, because the RE5-segment was definitely the most enjoyable imo.
I agree, maybe one chapter could be a little more gaming focused than others.

Looking forward to the next episode :D .

Just finished listening. I really liked the 'what are you consuming' segment rather than just gaming. I don't really care what the focus is, this podcast should be a lot of fun to listen to.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Linkzg said:
totally agree with what Shawn was talking about with the parts in RE5 where you can either fight or run from a situation. In one point in chapter 5 I saw a huge enemy and a path out of there, and because both Sheva and I were low on health, I decided to run for it up those stairs and this caused a QTE to pop up. Second time I did this I decided to stay and fight, killed the enemy, then walked up the stairs without any QTE and just a casual romp. The best part was that I was greatly rewarded for killing that boss, almost like the game appreciated that I took the effort to take out this strong enemy when I didn't need to.

also true of RE4, if you'll recall. killing right hand was totally optional.

FartOfWar

Banned
Idea for a segment in a forthcoming episode: Submit an mp3 of yourself asking for dating and/or longterm relationship advice. It'll fit in a larger conversation, but I want to go Love Line on this shit for a minute.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
FartOfWar said:
Idea for a segment in a forthcoming episode: Submit an mp3 of yourself asking for dating and/or longterm relationship advice. It'll fit in a larger conversation, but I want to go Love Line on this shit for a minute.

Really? :lol

(Dude, what's the best kinda movie to watch when you're gonna chill with a sexy lady? I was thinking something in the line of a sci-fi movie?)

border

FartOfWar said:
I don't think anyone here trusts you enough to submit anything personal lest they become a Twitter superstar, but it sounds fun :lol

Flavius

Eel O'Brian said:
I didn't care for WWZ, but I really enjoy The Walking Dead (although I think Robert Kirkman has a tendency to over-dialogue).

For me, it was just the opposite, not that WWZ was particularly well-written or anything. Some might argue the approach was "cheap," but it was like taking every kick-ass zombie action sequence Brooks could fathom and painting a short story around it (the raid on the elitist's compound, the escape from the apartment building, the ship, etc). In my head, those moments were incredibly fucking cool.

As for The Walking Dead, I don't know. I've only read the first collected edition (6 issues, I think), but it didn't suck me in to the story or anything. I'm not sure if it's the writing, the art, or something else. I'll probably order up the second collected edition and give it a read, but if it doesn't grab me after that, I think I'll move on to another book (Patient Zero looked interesting...I'll grab it after I finish up Bogost's dense, yet fascinating book on game criticism).

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
needs more
focus.png

Doytch

The part where N'Gai mentioned that he prefers to remember things how he remembers them was extremely timely. I'm not like this at all wrt my childhood. We didn't really have that much money, so we only have a few photos, and the only memories I have of when I was three or four years old were not really photogenic moments (doing errands with my mom) but I still remember them vividly.

That said, the reason it was timely was because the day before I'd been going through some album covers/booklets, and read this:

My first memory has always been of me and my mom on a cold grey day down at some beach in Washington, along the Puget Sound somewhere near Seattle. I would be around two or three years old and we're wiht a friend of mine from the neighborhood and his mom, walking around among the driftwood looking for crabs. Even now, I can remember the smell and temperature of the air, the feeling of the sand and the swaying tall grass. I can even remember looking over at my friend and how his face looked when he smiled back at me. Another memory that I'll sometimes recall as my first memory is dressing up in the dead of winter as Jack London, with tennis rackets on my feet and wearing my Dad's hiking pack, in the middle of summer after having seen Disney's (terrible) version of White Fang, or theres the memory of stealing my neighbors big wheel and riding it halfway down the block before getting caught and having to turn around defeated, or of wearing a fisherman's outfit while washing my parent's car, or eating an orange popsicle from the ice-cream truck.

These are and always have been some of my most distinct and persistent memories of childhood, so it came as a disappointment to me when, one day as a teenager, I opened up a photo album and found pictures of each and every one of those memories. I didn't have a single memory that didn't belong to or somehow grow from pictures my parents had taken of me when I was growing up. Even the scenes I remember so clearly in my head are from the same angles as those photographs and I don't really know what to make of it. I'm going to guess that I'd seen all these photographs at some point, forgotten they were just photographs, and over time made them into my most tanglible memories. That's scary to me in a way.

This leads me to something wierd about the power that music has, its transportative ability. Any time I hear a song or record that meant a lot to me at a certain moment or I was listening to at a distinct time, I'm instantly taken back to that place in full detail. Whenever I hear "Feel Flows" by the Beach Boys, I'm taken straight to the back of my parents car on the way to my grandparents' place, fourteen with Surf's Up in my walkman and the cascade mountains going by in the window. Any song of Radiohead's Kid A brings back the sounds and atmosphere of the airport near Seattle, from when we were on the way to Colorado for a wedding and Kid A was the only record I brought or wanted to bring. "Philadelphia Songs" Denison Witmer is the whole winter of last year, and Brian Wilson's solo version of Surf's Up will take me back to driving my parents car around town alone at the age of sixteen with the windows down at night.

I can ascribe exact memories to songs by The Microphones, Joni Mitchell, Built to Spill, Dungen, Harry Nilsson, and so many others, and it's a form of recall that I can actually trust. There's no visual element to complicate things, no chance of a planted memory that actually wasn't supposed to be there and that is reassuring to me. Maybe I should be concerned that I'm alone in almost all these memories, but I guess I was just a private kid and music was a private experience for me. I can even remember the certain kind of darkness my room would have when I was in there all alone listening to music. I can read a book cover to cover and never once forget I'm sitting in the middle of four slabs of plasterboard on a spring mattress in Seattle- same with movies and TV and anything else. I can listen to music and instantly be anywhere that song is trying to take me. Music activates a certain mental freedom in a way that nothing else can, and that is so empowering. You can call it escapism if you like, but I see it as connecting to a deeper human feeling than found in the day-to-day world.

That's from the cd sleeve of Fleet Foxes, ascribed to Warren Gamaliel Bancroft Winnipeg Harding, though I kind of doubt the Warren Harding had a chance to listen to Kid A.

Interfectum

Awesome podcast. Shawn, next episode please give us your current opinion of Lost. :lol I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

FartOfWar

Banned
prodystopian said:
Did you ever get this sorted out?
I've been really busy this week and haven't had much time to myself. I hope to have that done tonight. Thanks for the interest and topic suggestions. We have plans, but are totally amenable, too.

We do need some bit of art for itunes, though.

diss

Banned
between ambrosia apples, pixie mandarins and honeycrisp apples those growers have really lifted their game on making fruit sound even more damn delicious

The internet stuff was all over the place, but I guess that's expected considering the topic. Good show though. I look forward to more Luke Smith + 'fuck the world' type discussions. :D

Sulaco

Great podcast with lots of potential.

Luke is great when he rants and Robert and Shawn could make any topic funny or interesting but I wasn't mad about the whatcha been consuming section when it veered off gaming and into music and books.

Flavius said:
For me, it was just the opposite, not that WWZ was particularly well-written or anything. Some might argue the approach was "cheap," but it was like taking every kick-ass zombie action sequence Brooks could fathom and painting a short story around it (the raid on the elitist's compound, the escape from the apartment building, the ship, etc). In my head, those moments were incredibly fucking cool.

As for The Walking Dead, I don't know. I've only read the first collected edition (6 issues, I think), but it didn't suck me in to the story or anything. I'm not sure if it's the writing, the art, or something else. I'll probably order up the second collected edition and give it a read, but if it doesn't grab me after that, I think I'll move on to another book (Patient Zero looked interesting...I'll grab it after I finish up Bogost's dense, yet fascinating book on game criticism).

You should give it another try. I agree that Walking Dead tends to drag and meander in places, and thought the prison storyline went on way too long, but the payoff was terrific. You find out that when Kirkman says "No one is safe," he really means it.

Firestorm

FartOfWar said:
Create a topic in OT. You will see wonderful results.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Eel O'Brian said:
You should give it another try. I agree that Walking Dead tends to drag and meander in places, and thought the prison storyline went on way too long, but the payoff was terrific. You find out that when Kirkman says "No one is safe," he really means it.

At the end of Book 4 of Walking Dead, I was like WTF. The only thing that is crappy about reading the hardcover collections is that I have to wait a year to see what happens next.

I dug World War Z. I thought the scenarios were pretty interesting and were somewhat plausible if there was such an outbreak.

Nizz

Finally got a chance to check out the show. Pretty good! :D Other than the "awkward first date moments" due to using Skype, which is completely understandable. I'm the same way as Luke when it comes to not being up much on what's happening in my community.

I moved here to Florida a little over two years from New Jersey, and I've rarely opened a newspaper here. Or ever felt the need to really know what's going on down here. I still don't feel like a part of this state, like it hasn't fully sunken in yet that this is my new home.

I was just wondering the other day about the exact same thing regarding social networking and when you die. I'd probably ask for a family member to pm anyone on my friends' list that I'm no longer around, then have them close the account. Or something like that. Very interesting topics discussed in this podcast. I enjoyed it a lot.

I wonder what the timetable will be for this show? I'm guessing once a month? Great cast also. Thanks again for this Shawn, Luke, Jeff, N'Gai, Robert. :D

Top Bottom