• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Ep. 1, aka that podcast with Shawn, N'Gai, Jeff, Luke, and Robert

Was there some big event that happened with social networking sites recently? first the Borecast talks about it, now the first episode of this podcast is talking about. Not to say that it isn't an interesting topic or anything, it just leaves me curious.

And so far it's good stuff. Audio quality isn't as bad as it was talked up to be; only real issue is the volume is lower than most other podcasts, but I guess that's what the volume slider is for.

lowrider007 said:
Great podcast, I deleted my twitter acc after listening to the show so thanks for that, and 'Lost Highway' is one trippy film, still don't quite understand what the hell was going on.

GAF continuing to take other people's opinions way too seriously. Needing someone else to make you feel cool for social networking or not is just pathetic regardless of who you are. If you want one keep it and if you don't care then don't but don't be like "X game journalist made me feel like I shouldn't so that's now my opinion".

border

Linkzg said:
Was there some big event that happened with social networking sites recently? first the Borecast talks about it, now the first episode of this podcast is talking about. Not to say that it isn't an interesting topic or anything, it just leaves me curious
Everyone interested in gaming has been doing Twitter lately, since for a while they were using it to keep up with fired 1Up-staffers or former GFW editors. Twitter itself has been the darling of the techno-rati for at least a year now.

For a normal person I don't see the appeal. I have so much shit to read or listen to between podcasts and forums. I can't imagine what pleasure you get from opening up a feed full of glib 1-sentence remarks.

As Tom Scharpling once said, "Twitter is for people who think Facebook is too intense."

NYR

cr_blah_blah said:
GAF continuing to take other people's opinions way too seriously. Needing someone else to make you feel cool for social networking or not is just pathetic regardless of who you are. If you want one keep it and if you don't care then don't but don't be like "X game journalist made me feel like I shouldn't so that's now my opinion".
100% agree.

GAF groupies can be fucking pathetic, sometimes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
cr_blah_blah said:

It's not really that, it's just after they we're talking about how sad it is to have a twitter acc where your following loads of people but hardly have any followers yourself, it just hit home a bit, as I am one of those people, so I thought fuck it, can't be arsed with this shit, it's ok if your Jeff/Shuan or whoever as they can use it to announce shit on there and cut out the middle man, or just use twitter as 'fan management', so tbh they have a valid excuse to fall back on for their use of twitter so I suppose that gives them a free pass to be a little hypercritical. TBH I initially joined twitter to follow what the old 1up crew were up to, not to talk or interact with them, kind of like an RSS feed if you will.

I love what these guys do professionally (or rather did do professionally in some cases), Twitter was a way of just keeping tabs on them as I knew if they were going to be doing any new articles or podcasts etc they would probably twitter it first, then I could follow their work easily, but after listening to this show it made me feel like I was a 'crazy nerd fan' rather than a normal guy that was just using twitter as a way of following what these guys were doing on a professional level.

You see what they didn't seem to cover was the different reasons why people use twitter, they either presumed you we're a 'crazed fan' that was looking to get reply from an 'Internet celeb' so you could then tell your friends how awesome you are, or your using it to announce to the world boring and mundane extracts from your life as you go about your day, they didn't seem to grasp that there are many people out there that use twitter solely as a way of being closer to the 'source', rather than waiting to hear information (announcements etc) from a third party.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
voltron said:
Twitter is everywhere. Not just gaming but mainstream media.
Congressdouches twittering during the pseudo State of the Union seems kind of rude.

FartOfWar said:
I zipped him up a sampler with El-P, Cage, Brother Ali, Doom, Sage, Aesop, and some other shit to get him started.
Liked your little "dead but they think you just checking your Myspace" allusion from the new Cage stuff, unless that was just coincidence.
Also, I had to laugh at the thought of how many would-be politicians your twitter ruined if it does come down to digging up internet-viewing dirt. Jesus, if someone ever saw me having been on some of that shit out of context...I shudder for when that day comes.

I really liked it. I almost lost it when Robert was talking about Facebook statuses.

"Robert now has one parent." :lol

Even Croal, who I usually don't like to listening to on gaming podcasts is very enjoyable here.

LukeSmith

Cohsae said:
Luke have you got Black Star yet? Respiration is amazing. Seriously. And this is from someone who was a rap hater for many years.

Just for more context, I've been listening to stuff like Jay-Z (and I'd consider Jay-Z/Tupac/BIG/Wayne all 'pop rap') on and off for ages. So I have a pretty solid foundation of stuff there, but now, I want to get some stuff that is much more off the radar - an easy analog (especially considering my own personal music taste/history) would be that Pavement and Nirvana existed at the same time, I listened to Nirvana and came to Pavement much later.

A college buddy of mine, Christian Hoard, gave me a burn of the Blackstar record my sophomore year when he graduated - I still have the CDR it came on [don't worry, def and kweli, I bought it for my work machine].

Flavius

lowrider007 said:
*Stuff taken way to seriously.*

Relax.

You ARE a crazy nerd...on a forum FULL of crazy nerds...talking about a podcast HOSTED by a bunch of crazy nerds!

Do you need a manly, reaffirming punch in the arm or something? ;)

kaskade

Doesn't Cheapy D just use skype? I know their podcast sounds pretty good, once they get the audio issues sorted out this is going to be even more amazing.

voltron said:
subjective much?

one mans interest is another mans toilet paper.

He's hardly claiming to speak for the group.

That said, parts of it were obviously a bit rough. The next one will probably be miles better.

DustoMan

Banned
ThePeacemaker02 said:
Doesn't Cheapy D just use skype? I know their podcast sounds pretty good, once they get the audio issues sorted out this is going to be even more amazing.

This forum post talks about how the CAGcast is recorded. Cheapy and Wombat record their audio locally and use Skype to just converse. After the show, Wombat sends Cheapy his local recording and Cheapy puts the two files together.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166793

EazyB

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Just for more context, I've been listening to stuff like Jay-Z (and I'd consider Jay-Z/Tupac/BIG/Wayne all 'pop rap') on and off for ages. So I have a pretty solid foundation of stuff there, but now, I want to get some stuff that is much more off the radar - an easy analog (especially considering my own personal music taste/history) would be that Pavement and Nirvana existed at the same time, I listened to Nirvana and came to Pavement much later.

A college buddy of mine, Christian Hoard, gave me a burn of the Blackstar record my sophomore year when he graduated - I still have the CDR it came on [don't worry, def and kweli, I bought it for my work machine].
You should check out Binary Star (got it confused with Black Star) and even more so when one the CD SONOGRAM which is a solo album one of their members, One Be Lo, made. It's good shit.

Binary Star - Reality Check

One Be Lo - enecS eht no kcaB
One Be Lo - Axis

Oh, and you've probably heard of Jurassic 5 but in case you haven't, you should definitely give them a shot. They're probably my favorite hip hop group.
What's Golden
The Influence
Improvise

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
ItsInMyVeins said:
I totally agree with Robert Ashley about reading on the internet, by the way. It's kinda crappy unless it's a short text. I'd much rather read a magazine on my couch, so mostly I simply stay away from longer reviews or articles on the internet.

Word, I can't stand online textbooks that some professors make you buy.

Flavius

Tashi0106 said:
Word, I can't stand online textbooks that some professors make you buy.

Some of my colleagues have pushed for more online texts. I don't have a problem with it, so long as it's optional and there's a published equivalent available to the student. That said, they're generally cheaper and some allow you to purchase specific chapters within the text.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Flavius said:
Some of my colleagues have pushed for more online texts. I don't have a problem with it, so long as it's optional and there's a published equivalent available to the student. That said, they're generally cheaper and some allow you to purchase specific chapters within the text.

I think part of it might be, for me at least, is that the internet is so distracting sometimes. I like to just close my laptop and open a textbook and do work from and not have people IMing me and stuff like that.

Stealth

Zeliard said:
Black Star has a tendency to convert the greatest of non-believers.

It really is a great idea to start with Mos and Kweli, grab Black on Both Sides and Reflection Eternal, and work your way out from there. Common's Like Water For Chocolate, some Tribe, the Roots, then something more abstract. Maybe Del the Funkee Homosapien, De la, etc. Doom is always win, too. Currently I'm listening to a bootleg album called RAGU - Raekwon and Ghostface United, and it's pretty solid. If you like Ghostface and/or Wu-Tang, Ghost has been super productive lately, and this is def. worth a listen.

It really is who you are and who you're affiliated with more than what you actually do these days. Would anyone give a shit about my retarded link dump if I wasn't formerly affiliated with gaming mags/sites? I don't kid myself. I've seen thousands follow "I woke up today/Feeling hungry/Ate a hot dog/Going to bed." Think about that. Had I phoned my very best friend ten years ago to tell him that I'm eating a hot dog and feeling happy, he'd say fuck you, stop calling.

I think about that all the time. The only difference that I can see is that the girl is working the system to build themselves up, and you actually built a following by actually having a job which put you in the public eye. Has your twitter account magnified the attention drawn to you? You'd know more than I would. Either way, it wouldn't bother me. I just find myself stunned again and again by my society, that it can support so much inane bullshit: day after day of procedural crime dramas on CBS, Dancing and cooking reality TV shows in prime time slots, the "SyFy Channnel", etc., etc. The trouble with life in the digital age is that the old opiate of the masses has multiplied itself a couple dozen times, and it gets a bit annoying wading through the crap. Then again, maybe I've just got rose-tinted glasses on, and it was the same shit, different asshole back then. "Fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

EazyB said:
You should check out Binary Star (got it confused with Black Star) and even more so when one the CD SONOGRAM which is a solo album one of their members, One Be Lo, made. It's good shit.

Binary Star - Reality Check

One Be Lo - enecS eht no kcaB
One Be Lo - Axis

Oh, and you've probably heard of Jurassic 5 but in case you haven't, you should definitely give them a shot. They're probably my favorite hip hop group.
What's Golden
The Influence
Improvise

Damn, thanks for the links. Ever since Shawn linked Cage in a tweet I've been looking out for modern old-school rappers, especially since I hear crunk shit all day from my roommate. Soulja Boy and Lil' Wayne can piss off for all I care, this is where it's at.

JKBii

I wish someone from Gen Y was there to defend the people who vastly prefer Wikipedia and internet-based research to books. If you're interested in a topic, every minute you spend reading a book that dances around the topic is a minute that could have been devoted to actually doing the research. The only time I ever cited books in a paper is when some other source cited it and then I'd read the related sections of the book only. Reading for fun is fine but you shouldn't be forced to spend 50% of your time on a school assignment reading them if you don't think that's a useful way to spend time.

Also, is this going to completely be a non-gaming podcast or was this an oddity? I wish you guys would have one segment, a 30-45 minutes or so, about games. Even if it's just the news so you have a lot of freedom in what you discuss instead of just processing the same games a thousand other podcasts have processed.

lowrider007

Flavius said:
Relax.

You ARE a crazy nerd...on a forum FULL of crazy nerds...talking about a podcast HOSTED by a bunch of crazy nerds!

Do you need a manly, reaffirming punch in the arm or something? ;)

Well I don't feel like a nerd, I don't really have any nerdy friends, and my past history (police record etc) certainly isn't really indicative of a nerd's demeanour (that is if there is such a thing), and people usually look at me in amazement when I tell them that I post in forums about games on the internet, one guy in work last year just point blank refused to believe me, it wasn't until it was confirmed by a few of my work collogues that he came around. I dunno really, it guess it comes down to how you determine someone is a nerd, personally I just see this as a single facet among a greater many in my personality, I've never really been a 'stereotypical' person.

You can give me that 'reaffirming punch in the arm' now. ;-).

lowrider007 said:
Well I don't feel like a nerd, I don't really have any nerdy friends, and my past history (police record etc) certainly isn't really indicative of a nerd's demeanour (that is if there is such a thing),

<animu avatar>

lowrider007

Drinky Crow said:
<animu avatar>

You see that's where your wrong, I don't even like anime, it just goes to show how wrong perceptions on the interent can be, you look at that avatar and see 'anime', when I first found that avatar (on a hi-fi forum I might add) I thought 'wow that's a good headphone avatar' becuase I love headphones, anime didn't even cross my mind, I acutally find it quite interesting how some people perceive my avatar, it usually give me a small insight into that persons personality.

lowrider007 said:
You see that's where your wrong, I don't even like anime, it just goes to show how wrong perceptions on the interent can be, you look at that avatar and see 'anime', when I first found that avatar (on a hi-fi forum I might add) I thought 'wow that's a good headphone avatar' becuase I love headphones, anime didn't even cross my mind, I acutally find it quite interesting how some people perceive my avatar, it usually give me a small insight into that persons personality.
Anime avatar.

=D

I can read scans of old golden and silver age comics on my netbook for hours, the screen is the perfect size for it. Text, though, can't take much of that unless the background is a neutral color.

I made a mock twitter a little while back because I thought that it might be fun to play a character on there, but I lost interest pretty quick.

lowrider007 said:

I know, right? I love teeth, but I keep getting questioned about this "Brutal Legend" thing.

lowrider007

Bpatrol said:
Anime avatar.

=D

Ha ha Awesome, I take it your a fellow headphone nut as well ?, did you make that avatar yourself ?, I shamelessly stole mine from a chap @ head-fi.org, :-O.

lowrider007 said:

yeah, yer a weeaboo

lowrider007 said:
Ha ha Awesome, I take it your a fellow headphone nut as well ?, did you make that avatar yourself ?, I shamelessly stole mine from a chap @ head-fi.org, :-O.
Nah it's from the Young Folks video, by Peter Bjorn and John.

Eric WK

LukeSmith said:

You may have been recommended P.O.S. already, but I'll do it just in case you haven't. I saw him in New York in late 2005 when he was opening for Atmosphere and he completely stole the show, for lack of a better expression. Just had so much more energy than Slug.

He basically came out of the Minneapolis Hardcore scene, so his beats are pretty hard but it works. I don't want to overhype him because he's not like top tier hip-hop, but I dig him and he's worth checking out.

P.O.S. - "Half-Cocked Concepts"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMHPeibm2g

P.O.S. - "P.O.S. Is Ruining My Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZWYZLg0R1M

P.O.S. - "De La Souls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUt5g1AiJ8

I'm sure folks have mentioned Murs, but he's worth mentioning again. Incredibly talented - certainly one of the best emcees in the indie rap scene or whatever, in my opinion. He also put out a couple albums with Slug under the name Felt. That's definitely worth checking out, especially for the Murs verses.

Murs - "What Do You Know"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZ4ylxAlAw

Murs - "Freak These Tales"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QXYpK8FNE

Murs - "Bad Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWTZWtE2yM

Murs on Metacritic

Other than that Cold Vein from Cannibal Ox and the self-titled cLOUDDEAD album are absolutely essential, although cLOUDDEAD isn't for everyone. I could name a dozen other artists, but I'm sure it's stuff you know or have heard about from Shawn or elsewhere - People Under The Stairs, CunninLynguists, El-P, Sage Francis and such.

ETA: Oh shit and also check out Edan, especially the album Beauty And The Beat. Awesome stuff.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wow, what an all-star lineup. This is going straight to the top of the queue.

FartOfWar said:
It really is who you are and who you're affiliated with more than what you actually do these days. Would anyone give a shit about my retarded link dump if I wasn't formerly affiliated with gaming mags/sites? I don't kid myself. I've seen thousands follow "I woke up today/Feeling hungry/Ate a hot dog/Going to bed." Think about that. Had I phoned my very best friend ten years ago to tell him that I'm eating a hot dog and feeling happy, he'd say fuck you, stop calling.
But now, thanks to the power of the internet, you can easily reach out to hot dog eating fetishists. I'm sure they'll relish your tweets.

Remember to vote SapientWolf for worst GAF poster of 2009

DangerStepp

I would, without hesitation, dispense of all my other podcasts if it came down to ultimatums involving this one.

In a heartbeat.

Just finished listening, good stuff and its only gonna get better.

The name sucks though, you guys should work on that.

And yes World War Z is fucking awesome.

lowrider007

Drinky Crow said:
yeah, yer a weeaboo

Considering as a child I used to obsess about wanting to live in America (I'm from the UK) I'd say your assumption couldn't really be much further from the truth even if you tried, I even had posters up in my room that I got from my local travel agency of the states, I grew up with the Statue of Liberty and the names of all the states on my wall, even my favourite quote ("Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.") is from the great man himself ;-), I remember my mum always used to joke and say 'one day I'll throw you on a plane going to America with a one way ticket' if I you think you'd love it so much over there, so a weeaboo I am certainly not.

Peronthious said:
I know, right? I love teeth, but I keep getting questioned about this "Brutal Legend" thing.

The headphones in my avatar are high quality Audio Technica's, they are not there just for decoration, people that know their headphones will recognise them, it's like a secret nod to those in the know.

Bpatrol said:
Nah it's from the Young Folks video, by Peter Bjorn and John.

Thanks for that, awesome track, never really heard much of their stuff before, listening to their other stuff on the tube and really liking them, cheers.

Yasser

Eric WK said:
I'm sure folks have mentioned Murs, but he's worth mentioning again. Incredibly talented - certainly one of the best emcees in the indie rap scene or whatever, in my opinion. He also put out a couple albums with Slug under the name Felt. That's definitely worth checking out, especially for the Murs verses.
i will second this recommendation, murs is excellent. also:
atmosphere_lemons.jpg

atmosphere is awesome and early dilated peoples is pretty good too

Top Bottom