• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch (PC/XB1/PS4) releasing by June 21st, "Origins Edition" [Up2: Not F2P]

kenbo

Dude you're comparing a multiple world spanning RPG with thousands of items to a game with 21 heroes within a handful of maps. Way different in terms of scope of games.
Don't forget multiplayer only

Its hard to justify the 90aud asking price it it has in aus

All the heroes forever. Wish we got the same promise here and I would be okay with the price tag.
Hey, who knows, maybe they will do that. It's just as valid a prediction as any of the other doomsday scenarios everyone is acting like will 100% most definitely happen. I'd like to know too, it would be kinda nice, but they've basically priced the game at $40 for the content as is, not as a f2p platform that everyone is still thinking about it as.

Everyone compares this to TF2 so I'll make one. When TF2 came out the whole internet wasn't sitting around stroking their chins over what the content plan for TF2 was, or how it would be delivered, or how/if it was priced. It was "This is TF2. This is how much it costs. Have fun, we'll see what happens." And it worked out fine.

Cuzco

Banned
It was "This is TF2. This is how much it costs. Have fun, we'll see what happens." And it worked out fine.

But dude its so much more fun to stay up all night on GAF and dispute the half truths and things that might happen! Who actually plays the game anymore? So casual.

Salamando

Hey, who knows, maybe they will do that. It's just as valid a prediction as any of the other doomsday scenarios everyone is acting like will 100% most definitely happen. I'd like to know too, it would be kinda nice, but they've basically priced the game at $40 for the content as is, not as a f2p platform that everyone is still thinking about it as.

Everyone compares this to TF2 so I'll make one. When TF2 came out the whole internet wasn't sitting around stroking their chins over what the content plan for TF2 was, or how it would be delivered, or how/if it was priced. It was "This is TF2. This is how much it costs. Have fun, we'll see what happens." And it worked out fine.

Team Fortress 2 was released as part of the Orange Box, one of the best values in gaming ever released. Doesn't help the argument there.

Anyway, this debate is boring. If you don' like the lack of an answer, don' pre-order the game until their plans are clear. Pre-ordering any game is stupid anyways.

RedFury

Team Fortress 2 was released as part of the Orange Box, one of the best values in gaming ever released. Doesn't help the argument there.

Anyway, this debate is boring. If you don' like the lack of an answer, don' pre-order the game until their plans are clear. Pre-ordering any game is stupid anyways.
Aww man but that widow alt though...

squidyj

Ughhhhhhh, need more people playing. I hate dropping a game because my team is full of inbred morons only to wait five minutes and wind up back in the same fucking game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this sentiment at all. I'm not asking for one or the other. I'm going to buy the game but I have friends who will not. Why not have some kind of version for them (call that version what ever you will)? Say it has a rotating roster so what he doesn't have a hard counter, I do because I bought the game. Now my friend is having fun and wants to be more competitive he goes out and buys the game. I don't know call it a demo I guess. Would the word demo with a rotating roster make people feel better? Because it seems like people just really hate the word F2P.

This is the point at which the game becomes pay-to-win. Either pay $40 to get all the heroes or struggle through an incomplete version of the game with a hamstrung roster of heroes.

Kosma

Banned
Blizzard has always been great with their games, so Id say any fears are really unjustified at this point.

Ive never been disappointed by a Blizzard product (except D3 SP non existant difficulty)

The seperate pricing for it was $20 if I remember right, that was a bit after release though. Before that if you wanted just TF2 then it wasn't a great deal at all because you had to drop $50 on a bundle of other games you didn't want. But that's neither here nor there.

Full multiplayer experience (unlocks, skins) for 40$ = in.
Free to play with microtransactions = in.
40$ and any new/premium content behind a paywall = out.

Most publishers would get crucified for releasing arena multiplayer only game for 60$ with microtransactions. PC has a better value with 40$ tier, but consoles get shafted. Blizzard doesn't even know post-launch business model of Overwatch...

A good compromise would be a 20$ in-game currency for every player. Huge value proposition for players. Majority aren't going to spend additional $ on skins anyway. However, whales and collectors will buy more than 4 skins anyway.

RedFury

This is the point at which the game becomes pay-to-win. Either pay $40 to get all the heroes or struggle through an incomplete version of the game with a hamstrung roster of heroes.
You keep saying pay2win but it's a full release and should be treated as such. If your giving people the chance to play or get a taste for FREE. It's a glorified demo. They could be upfront about it. Like I've suggested before let them use all characters for a couple of hours. Let them know the game is meant for full roster and counter each other's team composition. Again this isn't perfect and I'm simply trying to find the best way to get the game outside the pay wall. Instead of saying "this won't work" do you have any ideas or something that makes financial sense?
Edit: in case anyone is misunderstanding I'm talking about the paywall that is PS+/XBL on consoles.

Squire

Banned
Understood 100%. It is just concerning that they are going to charge us upfront without more details and basically see if enough people buy it before going F2P. I'd prefer a fleshed out model one way or another, but this seems like they are trying to hedge their bets rather than be confident in their product.

We have a lot of time left. Honestly, I feel like people want all the answers to all the questions on day one and I don't think that seasonable. And I suppose the response to that is going to be "Well then I'm not going to pre-order" to which my response if "Don't!"

I haven't. Not because I don't want to or because I don't like the price it because I'm not excited. Because June is like ~8 months away.

We just have sooooo much time left. No one needs to make up their mind about anything in a single weekend.

The hate for well made F2P is stupidly irrational. Plenty of games do it well. Also a big bonus when it comes to F2P is getting friends to try out the game for free. Cosmetic microtransactions have never and will never bother me.

Definitely. There are plenty of of really great games that are F2P. There's nothing wrong with wanting Overwatch to be one of them, it just seems like the design of the game doesn't quite support that.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think what irks many is the fact blizzard are so hesitant on giving a straight answer, which is driving a bit of the hyperbole. It's a tad unnerving they are this far into development and don't have a solid plan on how to handle new heroes (have they confirmed there will be new ones?), but blizzard are one of the few good PC devs so there is that.

I'm certain they'll sell new heroes after the fact. If they wanted to give them away for free they would've happily announced it. This is Activision Blizzard after all. They'll do whatever they can to make extra money. Originally I thought OverWatch would be a free to play, but despite the initial charge I'm still under the assumption that it'll be worth the money.

Salamando

I think what irks many is the fact blizzard are so hesitant on giving a straight answer, which is driving a bit of the hyperbole. It's a tad unnerving they are this far into development and don't have a solid plan on how to handle new heroes (have they confirmed there will be new ones?), but blizzard are one of the few good PC devs so there is that.

Their official stance
- The number of heroes at launch is 21.
- There will be no hero store at launch, because you will have all the heroes.
- There are no current plans for additional heroes.
- If the meta is such that there is a demand for a certain type of hero, then one may be created to fulfill that demand.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Pay to Play = Less Cheater
That has never been the case. Cheaters will always be around, and having it be a game you purchase over a game that's free you'll still have cheaters. Look at GTA Online, cheaters get busted and just buy another key, it's a never ending cycle.

Their official stance
- The number of heroes at launch is 21.
- There will be no hero store at launch, because you will have all the heroes.
- There are no current plans for additional heroes.
- If the meta is such that there is a demand for a certain type of hero, then one may be created to fulfill that demand.
Good to hear, and that information should be shouted across all media to distill the fear of pay2play initially but pay2win later.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This may be true on PC but it is not the case for consoles which is why console and PC should be handled differently.

Why is that not the case for consoles?

That has never been the case. Cheaters will always be around, and having it be a game you purchase over a game that's free you'll still have cheaters. Look at GTA Online, cheaters get busted and just buy another key, it's a never ending cycle.

I said less, not no cheaters. You think twice before you pay 40 or 60 bucks just to cheat and risk your account.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You keep saying pay2win but it's a full release and should be treated as such. If your giving people the chance to play or get a taste for FREE. It's a glorified demo. They could be upfront about it. Like I've suggested before let them use all characters for a couple of hours. Let them know the game is meant for full roster and counter each other's team composition. Again this isn't perfect and I'm simply trying to find the best way to get the game outside the pay wall. Instead of saying "this won't work" do you have any ideas or something that makes financial sense?
Edit: in case anyone is misunderstanding I'm talking about the paywall that is PS+/XBL on consoles.

PS+ / XBL is necessary for any multiplayer game on those systems. By your logic people wouldn't play COD or Battlefront or Killzone unless there was a free multiplayer demo. Consumers generally understand that they have to pay $60 for a multiplayer game while also paying $50 for an online console membership.

I'm playing on PC personally, so to me it's just $40. Either way, I feel like the game will get a lot of undeserved hate if it launches with a free mode like you describe. Even if it is a glorified demo, people will complain that they can't compete with people who have paid $40. It's totally irrational but it will happen, and the game will get a reputation as a pay-to-win title. This is what Blizzard wants to avoid by not splitting the player base.

My idea is they should stick with the entry fee, and then either make all future heroes and maps free, or create annual expansion packs with new heroes and maps. Selling cosmetic items is not something I really want them to get involved with, since it muddies their story of "pay $40 and get everything."

Squire

Banned
They'll probably end up doing expansions, yeah. It'd be a style of contend add-ins that console players understand and it's just as conventional as the $40/60 package they've already committed to. People will complain about that too and it'll split the base as people decide they won't buy more stuff, but eh, what can you do? No way everyone that picks the game up in year one sticks with it. That just doesn't happen. They're gonna lose players. You have to consider what's good for the community, good for the games integrity, and just keep on keeping on.

Salamando

Good to hear, and that information should be shouted across all media to distill the fear of pay2play initially but pay2win later.

People know that, they just either don't believe Blizzard, or they think they'll reverse their decision anyway and so should have prepared for that eventuality. Can't say I blame them. Putting in new heroes just to shake up the meta and keep the game interesting and/or creating heroes/villains for stories and then loving them enough to want them in the game feels inevitable.

Ploid 3.0

People cheat no matter what. There were a ton of cheaters in Final Fantasy XI, you had to buy that, and pay a sub, and when caught you'd lose a ton of progress. It got to the point where people just didn't seem to care.

As for wanting more info on Blizzard's plans for the game, it's probably best if they didn't talk about what they want to do. They failed at making Diablo 3's PVP, and it's been a running joke.

RedFury

PS+ / XBL is necessary for any multiplayer game on those systems. By your logic people wouldn't play COD or Battlefront or Killzone unless there was a free multiplayer demo. Consumers generally understand that they have to pay $60 for a multiplayer game while also paying $50 for an online console membership.

I'm playing on PC personally, so to me it's just $40. Either way, I feel like the game will get a lot of undeserved hate if it launches with a free mode like you describe. Even if it is a glorified demo, people will complain that they can't compete with people who have paid $40. It's totally irrational but it will happen, and the game will get a reputation as a pay-to-win title. This is what Blizzard wants to avoid by not splitting the player base.

My idea is they should stick with the entry fee, and then either make all future heroes and maps free, or create annual expansion packs with new heroes and maps. Selling cosmetic items is not something I really want them to get involved with, since it muddies their story of "pay $40 and get everything."
No, it's not the same at all those are long running franchises that have a huge following. This is a FPS made by a company that console owners probably aren't familiar with and its competing against those juggernaut FPS franchises. I agree with the rest of your post though. Because the way it is being handled I'm buying it for PC because I'm afraid of the console community. Would have bought a ps4 version too (to play with my brothers) if it was clear my bought content would follow me. I have no intention of making skin purchases, future expansions, etc for each platform. That's asking a lot if that's the case.

Chaos17

People cheat no matter what. There were a ton of cheaters in Final Fantasy XI, you had to buy that, and pay a sub, and when caught you'd lose a ton of progress. It got to the point where people just didn't seem to care.

As for wanting more info on Blizzard's plans for the game, it's probably best if they didn't talk about what they want to do. They failed at making Diablo 3's PVP, and it's been a running joke.

Blizzard may be slow but they always ban cheaters.
Also, they've a really nice support team who take care your account if it has been hacked and gave you back everything before the hack without even you asking for their assistance (ex WoW player here).

People should stop doubting Blizzard, they may have made bad game design mistakes but they always handled and delivered good games.
That's why they've been loved for a long time now.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
That's thinking of the game at the pro level, and then it also becomes true for limited selection hero games like LoL and Smite. The vast majority of the userbase aren't going to make these decisions. They're going to grab the person who looks cool, and shoot at shit until they die. Rotate the heroes so that they have access to every class, and the selection would be fine for low level play, especially if you give them the option to earn credits and unlock heroes without spending real money.

This really isn't true imo. I played this game a good 7-8 times over the weekend at blizzcon. I would say most of us were new to playing it this weekend. And even with that little bit of inexperience for everyone it's blindingly obvious very quickly that you can be stonewalled against a team of heroes that counters your set up well and you will lose quickly if you're not willing to change. Blizzard wasn't joking when they said the core of the game was built around hero switching. There's kind of a Rock Paper Scissors balance about it and I think even casual players are going to realize that if they keep choosing rock they're going to lose a lot.

And that Rock Paper Scissors idea sadly doesn't extend to character roles in the sense that would allow a rotation to work well. A well positioned bastion only really needs to worry about a half decent pharah or reaper most of the time for example.

Ughhhhhhh, need more people playing. I hate dropping a game because my team is full of inbred morons only to wait five minutes and wind up back in the same fucking game.

I wonder if this is part of the matchmaking data that they want to collect--my teammates do it from time to time, and so do I. It is a very weird feeling recognizing the same names/voices, though. Not used to that when I play multiplayer games

mbmonk

The seperate pricing for it was $20 if I remember right, that was a bit after release though. Before that if you wanted just TF2 then it wasn't a great deal at all because you had to drop $50 on a bundle of other games you didn't want. But that's neither here nor there.

Games you didn't want? Like portal and half life 2. Two of the most acclaimed games in history?

People were tripping over themselves to avoid those games and buy tf2 solo..

Sn4ke_911

So bizarre people are freaking out about the pay model. I thought it was great news :/ All heroes available for a flat fee, what's the problem?

The problem is future content, nobody knows yet how Blizzard will handle it.

Games you didn't want? Like portal and half life 2. Two of the most acclaimed games in history?

People were tripping over themselves to avoid those games and buy tf2 solo..
I had the Orange Box on 360 but wanted TF2 on PC, I didn't need all the other games because I already had them. And I'm sure there are some people in this great wide world who simply didn't care about getting three Half-Life games, but we're still forced to buy them regardless.

I'm not saying I don't like Portal and Half-Life 2, but if for whatever reason you didn't want them then TF2 for $50 wasn't a stellar deal.

Blizzard can such assholes.

Was looking at my account and saw an overwatch section, got excited only to read "preorder now".

Seriously an ad in my account settings. FU Blizz. Sincerely FU.

AESplusF

Wow in that Kotaku article they actually sound sort of reluctant, or at least hesitant, after the backlash.

If they do decide to change it, I hope they go the CS:GO route and just charge 15-20$, they can create a more robust microtransaction system (that isn't intrusive) later on, and make bank off their large playerbase.

Won

Blizzard can such assholes.

Was looking at my account and saw an overwatch section, got excited only to read "preorder now".

Seriously an ad in my account settings. FU Blizz. Sincerely FU.

Just to add to the whole asshole thing: Klicking on any of the preorder buttons in the Blizzard Launcher brings you straight to the Origins Edition with no mention of the cheaper 40$ version. I find this very fascinating.

DeaviL

Banned
Just to add to the whole asshole thing: Klicking on any of the preorder buttons in the Blizzard Launcher brings you straight to the Origins Edition with no mention of the cheaper 40$ version. I find this very fascinating.

it brings you to the Origins edition, yes.
But there's huge tabs for both regular and CE right next to it.
Besides, Origins is the regular edition for consoles.

And before you even say it...

Yes, they are trying to get people to buy the Origins edition.
It's extra content is pure shit for 20 more though.

Jawmuncher

It's extra content are pure shit for 20 more though

It really is, especially for console buyers.

Sn4ke_911

This game has really nice character designs.

Yeah.

06682b729a920fc926c731b1b5ec96f3.jpg

Crazy how nature do dat.

Wondering how input will impact playstyle and hero popularity. I can imagine the more twitchy heroes being less prominent or used differently on consoles.

Edit:

Are you crazy? You already get 20 dollars worth of content in just the WoW pet and the HotS hero. And then you get even more stuff on top of that. If you don't like it don't buy it, but don't act like you aren't getting your money's worth with the Origins Edition.

I'll probably get it cause I like the skins, but that is admittedly pretty stupid on my part. The rest of the worth hinges on how much you play the other games. I have friends who play Hearthstone and HotS that are super happy about that stuff because I guess card backs are like the ultimate symbol of status and characters in HotS ain't cheap.

I do agree that it's a bum deal for console players though since they don't get half of that stuff, they should offer it digital for $40 on consoles and just make the physical verison the Origins Edition for the people who really want the skins.

Jawmuncher

I'll probably get it cause I like the skins, but that is admittedly pretty stupid on my part. The rest of the worth hinges on how much you play the other games. I have friends who play Hearthstone and HotS that are super happy about that stuff because I guess card backs are like the ultimate symbol of status and characters in HotS ain't cheap.

I do agree that it's a bum deal for console players though since they don't get half of that stuff, they should offer it digital for $40 on consoles and just make the physical verison the Origins Edition for the people who really want the skins.

Pretty much or if it's because of console tax or something a 49.99 version then.
Only benefit is that it might be easy to sell off those codes.

squadr0n

I said I wasnt going too but I went ahead and did it. Pre-Ordered the CE exclusively for the Source Book. Really hope they come out with a larger full version, I would love a coffee table size art book for this game. The heroes rival most comic book team ups and the art direction is just awesome.

Sounds to me like they will do expansions instead of releasing individual characters down the road. I think they just really dont know what the best way to handle stuff after release since this game is really its own beast. If anything you could compare it too a Street Fighter or TF2 before it went F2P. There really isnt anything like it yet and people on Reddit are just having a really hard time grasping the concept. Id be happy if this was the full game for awhile. I just want more depth if its just a MP only shooter. Stuff like Daily challenges and quests could go along way.

Ploid 3.0

If they do expansions I'll probably jump in when the first expansion is out, maybe they will discount the base game and the expansion much later. It's how I got Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls for $20, I was pretty much done with the crazyness of them trying to make D3 fun and I didn't believe RoS would help it. I'm actually glad I waited to buy RoS, not because of the lower price, but because they seemed to have fleshed some things out by the time I got it.

Top Bottom