• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parks and Recreation S3 |OT| Come Visit the Great City of Pawnee, IN. Renewed for S4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cosmonaut X said:
Absolutely fantastic finale, and my only concern now is that the setup for S4 could shake things up too much - Tom off with Jean-Ralphio at Entertainment720, Leslie potentially off to political office (or at least campaigning etc.), Chris's shakeup of the other P&R staff etc.

Perhaps a lot will be rolled back in the first episode or two of S4, but it seems like there's potential for it to go wrong. For example, if Tom sticks with Entertainment720 then what was a fantastic little part of the last ep could easily outstay its welcome, and too much Jean-Ralphio could ruin that character.
My guess is that Entertainment720 will last about a month and Tom will be back at P&R by the very first episode of Season 4.

That's the impression I got during the end credits scene.

Ashhong

I can't wait to see Tammy 1. Amazing seeing Tammy 2 cuss and run away
KuGsj.gif

Mindlog

I forgot to note my favorite moment from the finale'. Ron's 1 man honoUr guard really hit a sweet spot for me. That was probably my favorite gag for the whole season.

BertramCooper said:
My guess is that Entertainment720 will last about a month and Tom will be back at P&R by the very first episode of Season 4.

That's the impression I got during the end credits scene.

I don't see it lasting very long either, which would be totally realistic.

rinker

Episode could have been better if Anne was wearing a see through shirt again like last week, but oh well.

Anyone know if the DJ from the end is Randy's DJ?

SO I went on Hulu just now to see last weeks episode (snakebite) and Im like "WTF, 4 episodes, howd I get so far behind!?!)

Anyway....amazing episode. Andys barf at the shoe shine was hilarious. Rons dance was hilarious. Everything was hilarious.

Nobility

Banned
Now THAT is a season finale.

I was a little lukewarm for the first episode (did have some good moments though), but the second one absolutely destroyed everything.

I will be screaming if Parks lose out during Emmy time. I need to know Tammy 1 now!

Can't wait for September.

Jasoco

Banned
Ron Swanson in the rotating desk was gold. I wish they could have kept it. My god. And the second episode, well I always watch on Hulu the next day and if there's a Producers cut which there is a lot of the time, I watch it instead. So good.

Can't wait to find out who Tammy 1 is. Even Tammy 2 was afraid of her.

And Ron without eyebrows... holy shit.

Didn't really think any of the twists besides Tammy 1 were big. Kind of assumed Tom would leave because that just seems like an NBC sitcom thing these days.

The first episode of the night was amazing. Loved the swivel desk, astronaut keyboard, and April's moving around the office on the wheel desk.

numble

One thing that can prevent the P&R universe from getting stale is that there is a lot of variety in the topics they can do with their universe of an Indiana town.

There's only so much you can do with an "office for paper sales," which is probably why they resorted to turning everyone into different variations on Homer.

numble said:
One thing that can prevent the P&R universe from getting stale is that there is a lot of variety in the topics they can do with their universe of an Indiana town.

There's only so much you can do with an "office for paper sales," which is probably why they resorted to turning everyone into different variations on Homer.
Yes, this is a key difference between the two.

In P&R, the cast can participate in a big event or project and it doesn't feel fake - it's just part of their job.

In The Office, those sorts of episodes always felt forced and out of place. They just didn't jive with the show's original concept.

Mindlog

I would almost prefer it if they kept Tammy 1's identity a secret. They should just keep using the aftermath of her visit as a running gag throughout the season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Surprised nobody has mentioned my favorite line of last episode:

Jean-Ralphio: "I hope you brought extra clothes because your eyeballs are about to piss tears."

I was laughing so hard my eyeballs were actually pissing tears.

ezekial45

Banned
I was just catching up on episodes i missed in the first two seasons. The jump in quality is just unreal. Was there like a change in producers or writing staff? I remember watching it when it first aired and i thought that it wouldn't last long because it didn't seem too interesting, but after the third season, the difference in quality is extremely noticeable.

It's mind boggling, really. I'm really happy they found their footing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ezekial45 said:
I was just catching up on episodes i missed in the first two seasons. The jump in quality is just unreal. Was there like a change in producers or writing staff? I remember watching it when it first aired and i thought that it wouldn't last long because it didn't seem too interesting, but after the third season, the difference in quality is extremely noticeable.

It's mind boggling, really. I'm really happy they found their footing.
Season one was rushed because NBC desperately wanted it on the air ASAP but Poehler was pregnant. There was no break between the pilot and the rest of season one, so no chance to reconsider things after one episode. They really figured out her character, and the whole show, during the several month break between production on season one and two. That's really the big thing.

Mindlog said:
I would almost prefer it if they kept Tammy 1's identity a secret. They should just keep using the aftermath of her visit as a running gag throughout the season.
Yeah, i'd kinda love it if she became Maris/Vera-type unseen character of this show. Ron's descriptions would probably be more funny than any on-screen persona could deliver. If Tammy 2 is shit scared of her, i can't imagine how evil Tammy 1 would be. It would probably be too ridiculous and over the top for this show to attempt.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rewatching 2x20 ("Summer Catalog") and there's a conversation between Leslie and Ron where she says that she'd like to be the head of the parks department, but that she doesn't want to bump him off, so maybe she should move to Eagleton. The conversation goes on for maybe 20-30 seconds and the way Ron replies to her makes it clear that this is a totally out of left field thing to say.

Not that continuity is a huge deal in a light sitcom like this, but it's pretty clear that this season's Eagleton episode A-plot is something they came up with after the fact and it doesn't really fit in retrospect.

(Also noticed that the old woman who sings in the beauty pageant is also the old woman who sings in the telethon episode; and Joe from sewage from Season 3 is also the guy who shows up at the telethon to hit on April--amazing how many of the random Pawneans have been in a couple of episodes!)

Raiden said:
Wow so much S1 hate, i have yet to finish S1 and i like it. Looks like good times await me.

Yeah, I thought S1 was fine too! And I've rewatched it like a dozen times!

I was bored as hell this afternoon and decided to check out this show. Aubrey Plaza is so goddamned cute here, which is strange because she did absolutely nothing for me in Scott Pilgrim.

big ander

Jack Scofield said:
I was bored as hell this afternoon and decided to check out this show. Aubrey Plaza is so goddamned cute here, which is strange because she did absolutely nothing for me in Scott Pilgrim.
I think because in the Scott Pilgrim movie her character is really stuck in "coarse bitch" mode. But in P&R, she has a real personality.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Stumpokapow said:
Rewatching 2x20 ("Summer Catalog") and there's a conversation between Leslie and Ron where she says that she'd like to be the head of the parks department, but that she doesn't want to bump him off, so maybe she should move to Eagleton. The conversation goes on for maybe 20-30 seconds and the way Ron replies to her makes it clear that this is a totally out of left field thing to say.

Not that continuity is a huge deal in a light sitcom like this, but it's pretty clear that this season's Eagleton episode A-plot is something they came up with after the fact and it doesn't really fit in retrospect.

(Also noticed that the old woman who sings in the beauty pageant is also the old woman who sings in the telethon episode; and Joe from sewage from Season 3 is also the guy who shows up at the telethon to hit on April--amazing how many of the random Pawneans have been in a couple of episodes!)

Yeah, I thought S1 was fine too! And I've rewatched it like a dozen times!

Love how Joe from sewage always talks about his truck lol. They also need to use those animal control guys more, they're hilarious. "Ey homie, how you know my name"?

TheOddOne said:
Ok. Somebody tell me how to love S1, its so bland.

Bacon wrapped shrimp.

Jasoco

Banned
Anyway, as I somehow posted in the Community thread, I'm rewatching the first two seasons and I don't get the hate for Season 1. It's not that bad. But whatever.

I'm on "The Practice Date" now and I have one question.... where the hell has Duke Silver been? Season 4 needs a return of the Duke.

Lijik

Jasoco said:
Anyway, as I somehow posted in the Community thread, I'm rewatching the first two seasons and I don't get the hate for Season 1. It's not that bad. But whatever.

I never found it awful so much as kind of dull. Like early episodes of Perfect Couples.
Then later on both shows started ramping up in enjoyment

Jasoco

Banned
"Remember, you take a man Kaboom-ing, he Kaboom's for a day. But teach a man how to Kaboom.. Kaboom! Kaboom! KaBOOM!!"

"I'm high on Kaboom! Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness."
"That's right, you never did ask for permission, did you? Well I'm sorry to burst your ka-bubble, but I just had my ass ka-handed to me by the city manager, and now this entire department is ka-screwed!"
"Ron, I am so, so, so sorry!!"
"What the ka-fuck were you thinking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom