• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Network purchases to be taxed starting April 1st 2017

Audioboxer

It probably will ed up boiling down to wherever your account location is gets the taxes. Thus Non-americans will flock to the states that don't have sales tax while Americans they will attempt to audit it. There is also the difference that not just statewide taxes are different but they can vary from city to city within the state. Aka my job moved from a city that had income tax to one that didn't and since I was in a school district which tax was a property tax I payed no income tax outside the state and federal level. Saves few hundred a year. Lol just I can imagine in the future when some town of 1000. Puts in a sales tax of 1% where everywhere else is 7% just to get boatloads of internet tax revenue from people who don't actually live there.

I guess taxes go hand in hand with companies like Amazon and Apple stating their "HQ" is some shabby run down building... in the state with the least taxes, lol.

Gamers just need to say their "spiritual home" is in a state with no PSN tax.

Of course, in the ideal world people wouldn't be doing anything dubious, or potentially even actionable. However, it's not always black and white when it comes to money and the spending of it. I guess.

Xenus

I guess taxes go hand in hand with companies like Amazon and Apple stating their "HQ" is some shabby run down building... in the state with the least taxes, lol.

Gamers just need to say their "spiritual home" is in a state with no PSN tax.

Lol the difference there is states/towns fight over large companies like Amazon going as far as to give them large tax breaks to move there. While I don't see that ever happening for the general consumer.

Audioboxer

Lol the difference there is states/towns fight over large companies like Amazon going as far as to give them large tax breaks to move there. While I don't see that ever happening for the general consumer.

Nah, of course not. It was a bad attempt at humour. I do wonder what the future will hold, though. Without a doubt putting aside morals, and even legalities, people residing in America will fudge their PSN address, let alone people outside of it sign up for "fake" accounts.

I guess the say just now lies with Sony and what their T&C say, but more importantly what they actually bother to act on. I mean I'm sure the T&C will say somewhere in more eloquent language, "don't create fake accounts in locations you don't live for cheap games." Of course they turn a blind eye as $ is $, just like MS let you switch your account region to buy directly from another Xbox store on the same account. I mean sure MS, I lived in Russia for 15 minutes whilst I bought an XBL game before moving back home.

Tarrin

So this is US only currently right?

PSN and Steam are the only two online gaming services that don't tax here in Canada (to my knowledge).

Whenever this sort of thing comes up I'm mostly glad I live in a state with no sales tax. A small part of me still feels its a "civic duty" to pay various taxes in order to maintain a prosperous commons (something I've done proudly when under the misconception that most of my taxed money actually helped people). But as I've gotten older it's become apparent that the vast majority of the citizenry's tax money is wasted on bullshit like corporate subsidies & an international war machine, a somewhat smaller but not insignificant amount is frittered away on administrative waste/redundancy/boondoggles, while only a tiny percent is actually used for that so-called commons which has been allowed to erode and fall apart to the point it barely exists in large swaths of the country.

Yeah, I know all this is way beyond the scope of this thread and sales taxes are supposedly used for a variety of things depending on the state. But, until/unless we restore an election system with integrity (as opposed to the banana Republic "whomever cheats the best wins" system we've had for at least 25 yrs)... And we get money out of politics so we have politicians and policies that represent the people again...I'll count myself among those who are gradually becoming happier with each day to "starve the beast".

TL/DR: Fuck sales tax. (LOL)

I got this email today too (Nebraska). PSN was my last tax-free haven after Amazon started on January 1st. It was quite a ride.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's crazy to me that I can preorder a game on Amazon, get it day 1, a physical copy and 20% off as a prime member

or i can pay far more for a digital copy

Not a big deal, legally you're supposed to be declaring these purchases on your tax forms at the end of the year and paying it then anyways. Just saving us law abiding citizens from having to do that.

Whenever this sort of thing comes up I'm mostly glad I live in a state with no sales tax. A small part of me still feels its a "civic duty" to pay various taxes in order to maintain a prosperous commons (something I've done proudly when under the misconception that most of my taxed money actually helped people). But as I've gotten older it's become apparent that the vast majority of the citizenry's tax money is wasted on bullshit like corporate subsidies & an international war machine, a somewhat smaller but not insignificant amount is frittered away on administrative waste/redundancy/boondoggles, while only a tiny percent is actually used for that so-called commons which has been allowed to erode and fall apart to the point it barely exists in large swaths of the country.

Yeah, I know all this is way beyond the scope of this thread and sales taxes are supposedly used for a variety of things depending on the state. But, until/unless we restore an election system with integrity (as opposed to the banana Republic "whomever cheats the best wins" system we've had for at least 25 yrs)... And we get money out of politics so we have politicians and policies that represent the people again...I'll count myself among those who are gradually becoming happier with each day to "starve the beast".

TL/DR: Fuck sales tax. (LOL)

Take half an hour and actually look at your state's budget sometime before ranting about "starving the beast." Roads, schools, parks, fire, EMS, police etc. Sales taxes aren't funding the "international war machine."

Some people on here REALLY need to take a civics class. ;)

I think I have my US PSN account set to Alaska.

Will I be Taxed?

Edit: Seems Alaska, Delaware, NH, Montana, Oregon are safe according to nolo.com

TalonJH

Wait, is Tax applied when you add funds to your wallet from a CC? Or on checkout when buying a game?

Should be the later. Think of it like you would buy a gift card at a restaurant. You wouldn't normally pay tax on the card but the meal you buy with the card would have tax applied.

Dat Trump effect.

giphy.gif

XpAcErX

Neo Member
I believe these taxes are simply because Sony has a physical presence in that state for business operations whether it be a data center or remote office etc. Amazon charges taxes in select states similarly where they have physical businesses presence.

big fake

This shit better NOT affect Canada. I went digital partially because of goddamn taxes.
This. I bought games I wouldn't mind having digital because of saving money on tax. This will basically stop me from buying digital here on Canada for games that already have a physical release priced the same.

Top Bottom