• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Network purchases to be taxed starting April 1st 2017

Daedardus

I too am upset that I don't get to hand the government 13% on all my psn purchases.

To be honest, I have to pay 21% taxes on luxury goods, but I got a free much needed doctor's visit this week and got my medicine almost for free so sometimes paying taxes isn't that bad.

OmegaFax

Pulled this off the ol' Wikipedia page for digital taxation. If you're grey then you're okay. (and if you're green then you're really okay).

Map_of_States_in_the_USA_by_the_status_of_taxation_on_digital_goods.svg

Khrno

I have a US PSN account where I just bought Persona 5 today for $60 and have $60 sitting there to buy Atelier Firis.

I don't live in the US but I haven't gotten any email about taxes.

I just checked, I have some Miami fake address on the account.

RootCause

Booooo!!! This sucks. So now I'll have to spend $20 for any dlc that's priced at $9.99.

Because there's absolutely no way in hell im putting my card on psn.

GLAMr

One day I want to live the dream of working in Washington and living in Oregon.

Would having different addresses on your account and CC billing address put you at risk for getting banned for suspected fraud?

simmias

Pulled this off the ol' Wikipedia page for digital taxation. If you're grey then you're okay. (and if you're green then you're really okay).

North Carolina residents have paid sales tax on digital purchases for years. I wonder how many other states are wrong in that map.

Fisty

North Dakota is the Cayman Islands of PSN, good to know!

Looks like you could also set your PSN address to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and youll be clear too

KaoteK

So I guess everyone will "move" to Oregon?

Edit: OK according to that map, California is fine (I "live" there in Sony's eyes, I don't, I live in Cambodia)

Mooreberg

I do too little digital purchasing (outside of Steam) to see a big difference with this, but these companies are doing a shit job at trying to migrate people to digital. If this did occur in my state and I bought one full MSRP game a month, that would be $204 a year in price differences vs. amazon prime. Somebody is fucking something up badly if a disc in a box can arrive in my mailbox on the same day it is available to play digitally, for $17 less. $204 is a year of Amazon Prime without a discount, GCU, a few months of Gamefly, and a bunch of stuff from Steam sales. They keep giving discs a stay of execution.

Had no idea some (most?) people didn't pay tax on PSN purchases. It's been a thing for me for as long as I can remember (Utah).
I'm in Utah also and I've never been taxed. Except for one week at the end of this January, and even then I got an email saying I was incorrectly charged tax, and I was credited the extra funds back.

This sucks but it's not unexpected, especially after Amazon started collecting tax here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dumb question but do Nintendo and MS get taxed on purchases made on their systems through their online stores? Or are they now going to be?

calder

Hah threads like this make me remember how young a lot of people here are. Some very... unexpected reactions ;)

nath999

Interesting, I never realized we weren't taxed in Canada until now. That Ontario 13% tax on psn items is really going to suck and our prices are already ridiculous.

Anyone from Canada get a similar email?

krae_man

PSN was taxed in Canada until the hack and it suddenly stopped when PSN came back after the hack. I just assumed someone forgot put it back in and nobody noticed until it was too late and they didn't want to take PSN down again to fix it.

Welp guess i'm buying everything physically now

EDIT: i'm in california and haven't recieved anything so guess i'm okay then

pezzie

Set your address on your PSN profile to a random Oregon address, buy PSN credit from Amazon, problem solved.

slit

Yeah, how the hell was this not the case until now?
You could buy stuff on US PSN and not be paying tax?!? That sounds bonkers.

The same way you can go to other online marketplaces and not pay. Sales tax is collected by states, not by the federal gov't. If the business is in another state, they are under no obligation to collect the tax for the state of the purchaser. That's why it took so long for them to start collecting for Amazon.

Top Bottom