• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Flash Sale "Survival Deals" coming this weekend (10/16-10/19)

Replicant

It is absolutely not like Until Dawn. Rapture is a walking simulator in a beautiful environment, good music and a fine story/Narrative and like zero gameplay beside the walking. Fine if you like this Kind of game, otherwise it is boring.

I'll pass for now then. I want something like Until Dawn. I guess I have to wait until Heavy Rain Remastered is out.

Or when Life is Strange gets discount..... Just sayin'
please?

metro redux are both great games.....double platinum trophy :)

Does it ever explain the stuff I use? Like, this guy gave me some charging thing and I have these icons on my selection wheel that I have no idea what they do. Do I have to charge my light or something?

thematic

how is Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture?
the graphics are nice but I'm looking for a *very* good story for this kind of games.

Thanks!

Skii

You're in for a treat. Great dub.

So I've heard. Got some of my favourite voice actors from the likes of Persona so I can't wait!

Do you need to have played 999 to play VLR?

For virtue's last reward. Never played it before.

You have to play 999 before VLR. It is absolute nonsense if anyone suggests otherwise. Some of the revelations hold absolutely no weight without your knowledge of 999 events. It just doesn't. I implore you to find a way of playing 999. It is a superb game like no other. It will increase the enjoyment you get from VLR 100 fold.

Proc

Too much nostalgia to pass on lunar for $6 :).

Nice sale Sony! Everyone gone to the rapture and that black and white game seem pretty interesting.

EGttR looks interesting but really just not my type of game... I dunno the reviews are good and the price is low so I just might.

Played a bit of metro 2033 and man,is the shooting weird in that game. I need more feedback that I'm actually hitting something

Does it ever explain the stuff I use? Like, this guy gave me some charging thing and I have these icons on my selection wheel that I have no idea what they do. Do I have to charge my light or something?

These are two of my exact thoughts lol. If you haven't already, turn up the sensitivity all the way, it doesn't help with the feedback but it makes aiming less sluggish.

Everyones gone to the rapture, gets cheaper than the pre order price a month later! I should have waited and yet to play the game :(.

I am ZHP on sale makes me happy. Been drooling over that game for a damn long time since its announcement.

Hows the Lunar remake port? I remember reading they messed a bit with the story. Also didnt they use some of the famous ps1 translation or is it botched in many ways?

stuminus3

I just had this problem using Safari. I tried Firefox and had no issues. Rapture deal is awesome so I just picked it up. :)
Couldn't get it working on any browser on any computer but I was able to buy it directly on my PS4 using the same saved billing information. PSN is weird sometimes.

Boogiepop

Have you trying purchasing the games on the actual systems?

Tried it on PS3 and PS4, tried removing and readding my payment, tried removing and readding the items to the cart... I think I've literally tried everything I can on my end, and still nothing. Man the PS Store sucks :(

Guess I'll try Customer Support with the preface of "I've already tried literally all of these things" and hope they can somehow be useful, but... I have my doubts.

Jesus just signed on to my US account (I'm UK) to buy the Neogaf theme and saw the flash sale. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture $8!!! Crazy cheap price!

It makes perfect sense that Jesus is interested in a game about the Rapture. Didn't know he lived in the UK or was a fan of NeoGAF tho.

Is PSN screwing up for anyone else? I can't check out with my order using either a credit card or Paypal, it just tells me "We've encountered an error while processing your order. The transaction has not been completed" or a variant that says it can't show me my basket (even though it's right there).

Boogiepop

Is PSN screwing up for anyone else? I can't check out with my order using either a credit card or Paypal, it just tells me "We've encountered an error while processing your order. The transaction has not been completed" or a variant that says it can't show me my basket (even though it's right there).

This is what I've been dealing with, and seemingly nothing will fix it.

Actually just contacted customer support, and in retrospect the guy must've had no idea and was BSing me. He claimed my "account was locked for 48 hours due to too many failed attempts" and I was like "at what, I logged right in, and I've used this card a ton in the past", to which he responded "oh, sometimes legitimate cards are rejected because of the Verification something something (I'm not a tech guy and I don't remember, but it was a three letter thing) or something on your bank's end". But... one of the last things I tried was adding and deleting a card (which worked but didn't solve the problem), and none of the error messages said jack about anything being locked. And why would only purchasing stuff yet nothing else be locked, and why would it not tell you, and why would customer support not be able to unlock it? Plus he gave me this article (https://support.us.playstation.com/...ntering-Billing-and-Credit-Card-Information/?) and was like "that'll totally fix everything next time", but it's got nothing to do with the issue at all! (I hadn't read it before ending the chat, which was my bad).

And I really don't like the idea of giving up and accepting his "solution" of just buying PSN cards, which is giving them more money and, you know, doesn't permanently solving the issue or even properly identifying it.

I don't know, thinking about contacting them again and trying to be a little more aggressive on the "that doesn't make sense, fix my damn issue" train of thought instead of trying to be polite and understanding. It's so damn sloooooow though, so I'm not looking forward to it.

BTA

Wait, is ZHP even on PSN? I tried finding it last time NISA titles were on sale and I'm pretty sure I couldn't find it; I knew the periods messed up searching sometimes but I thought I couldn't find it at all even with that in mind, huh. I'll probably double dip and get my PSP save on my Vita in case I'm ever itching to finish that; it's a pretty great game that I never completed.

Probably gonna pick up Rapture too, since I forgot to grab that as a pre-order.

Roldan

I own a Vita for two years, and even after playing 999 and reading everyone praising VLR, I haven't played it yet. I think the time has come. :p

I was dealing with this. I bought some PSN cards off Amazon and put that money into my account. That worked. I've heard of quite a few people dealing with this too. You are not alone.

Tizoc

Wait, is ZHP even on PSN? I tried finding it last time NISA titles were on sale and I'm pretty sure I couldn't find it; I knew the periods messed up searching sometimes but I thought I couldn't find it at all even with that in mind, huh. I'll probably double dip and get my PSP save on my Vita in case I'm ever itching to finish that; it's a pretty great game that I never completed.

Probably gonna pick up Rapture too, since I forgot to grab that as a pre-order.

Here's a quick way to find it
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/all-psp-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPALLPSPGAMES||name~desc

Arrange by Title Z-A, voila!

You have to play 999 before VLR. It is absolute nonsense if anyone suggests otherwise. Some of the revelations hold absolutely no weight without your knowledge of 999 events. It just doesn't. I implore you to find a way of playing 999. It is a superb game like no other. It will increase the enjoyment you get from VLR 100 fold.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a way to play 999 anyways. I mean, I played it on my phone using an emulator.

Boogiepop

Actually just contacted customer support, and in retrospect the guy must've had no idea and was BSing me. He claimed my "account was locked for 48 hours due to too many failed attempts" and I was like "at what, I logged right in, and I've used this card a ton in the past", to which he responded "oh, sometimes legitimate cards are rejected because of the Verification something something (I'm not a tech guy and I don't remember, but it was a three letter thing) or something on your bank's end". But... one of the last things I tried was adding and deleting a card (which worked but didn't solve the problem), and none of the error messages said jack about anything being locked. And why would only purchasing stuff yet nothing else be locked, and why would it not tell you, and why would customer support not be able to unlock it? Plus he gave me this article (https://support.us.playstation.com/...ntering-Billing-and-Credit-Card-Information/?) and was like "that'll totally fix everything next time", but it's got nothing to do with the issue at all! (I hadn't read it before ending the chat, which was my bad).

And I really don't like the idea of giving up and accepting his "solution" of just buying PSN cards, which is giving them more money and, you know, doesn't permanently solving the issue or even properly identifying it.

I don't know, thinking about contacting them again and trying to be a little more aggressive on the "that doesn't make sense, fix my damn issue" train of thought instead of trying to be polite and understanding. It's so damn sloooooow though, so I'm not looking forward to it.

Following up on this, they refused to give me anything but the same damn canned response of "your account is locked, nothing we can do, nothing a supervisor can do, you just have to buy cards and wait it out". I'm really, really grumpy about this, since they were like "yup, it's our error but there's nothing we can do, anything else I can do for you?" And then the complaint website they gave me was broken. :|

For people wondering, the thing that apparently makes it unfixable is that, even though it never says this, trying and failing 10 times with your credit/paypal (which are apparently somehow screwy right now) causes it to lock you paying with them for 24 hours, and then if you keep trying it then it bumps to 48 hours, and for some godforsaken reason Customer Support apparently has no means of unlocking it.

So yeah, I'm annoyed, half considering switching from chat to a phone call to be like "this is bs, you guys screwed up and it's cost me time and effort, and your solution seems to involve me paying you more money then I need to spend at this time" to someone in person at least. Not great with those kinds of things, though. But yeah, this is really, really dumb and frustrating and is giving me a way worse view of Sony than I already had.

(Should I just make a separate thread at this point? Since I feel it's kind of off topic...)

Skii

It shouldn't be that hard to find a way to play 999 anyways. I mean, I played it on my phone using an emulator.

999 itself won't have as much effect without the two screens of the DS. I assume almost everyone has a DS/DSi/3DS so there is no excuse not to play it the way it's supposed to be played.

So there are conflicting opinions on Lunar. Some people say the PSP remake that's on sale ruins the original with different VA work, some music issues and a lack of difficulty, but others say it is fine and a good remake.

Interested in checking it out, but unsure whether I should if it really is worse than the PS1 version.

Anyone also have an opinion on Ys Seven? I'm basically collecting them at this point, because Seven would be the last except Ark of Napishtim that I don't own of the ones available by modern methods (5 I think would be the only one?). However, I've really only had time to play Memories of Celcetta on Vita, and unfortunately its story keeps on dragging me down. I like the gameplay but the stiff animation in scenes and the fairly uninspired feeling direction of the story make keeping interest difficult. Compared to any "Tales of" game for example, the story just isn't very excitingly presented or anything, even if both series seem to not have completely original stories most times.

I'm mainly asking, is Ys Seven better than Memories of Celcetta? I like the gameplay of that game, but its been hard to return to it since its story didn't grab me. Like I said before, I've sort of ended up collecting the games anyways, so its probably weird for me to ask this, but I thought I might as well.

Edit:

To the above, I too wholeheartedly recommend 999 on DS/3DS, but not everyone has one. The dual screens part is important, though then physically being separated is not in my opinion, so I'd agree with the poster who said emulating it on phone is alright. Buying the DS cartridge and doing that is what I'd recommend for people who don't have a DS but have a good phone and want to play the game.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I had to check twice, but.. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is $8?! From $20 to $8 in two months? Yeesh.. I feel bad for the devs. I'm tempted to buy it just for the Platinum.

So there are conflicting opinions on Lunar. Some people say the PSP remake that's on sale ruins the original with different VA work, some music issues and a lack of difficulty, but others say it is fine and a good remake.

Interested in checking it out, but unsure whether I should if it really is worse than the PS1 version.

Anyone also have an opinion on Ys Seven? I'm basically collecting them at this point, because Seven would be the last except Ark of Napishtim that I don't own of the ones available by modern methods (5 I think would be the only one?). However, I've really only had time to play Memories of Celcetta on Vita, and unfortunately its story keeps on dragging me down. I like the gameplay but the stiff animation in scenes and the fairly uninspired feeling direction of the story make keeping interest difficult. Compared to any "Tales of" game for example, the story just isn't very excitingly presented or anything, even if both series seem to not have completely original stories most times.

I'm mainly asking, is Ys Seven better than Memories of Celcetta? I like the gameplay of that game, but its been hard to return to it since its story didn't grab me. Like I said before, I've sort of ended up collecting the games anyways, so its probably weird for me to ask this, but I thought I might as well.

Edit:

To the above, I too wholeheartedly recommend 999 on DS/3DS, but not everyone has one. The dual screens part is important, though then physically being separated is not in my opinion, so I'd agree with the poster who said emulating it on phone is alright. Buying the DS cartridge and doing that is what I'd recommend for people who don't have a DS but have a good phone and want to play the game.

Can't tell you how it compares to Celceta (I know, I've only had it on my shelf for years now), but Ys Seven's story is pretty barebones compared to any Tales game. The franchise in general has always been much more about smacking things around and trying not to get killed by ridiculous bosses, and less about elaborate stories and character interactions. There is definitely a plot and characters to get attached to, don't get me wrong, but years later I don't remember Ys Seven's story nearly as well as, say, Tales of Vesperia.

Hopefully that helps you judge. For what it's worth, I still had plenty of fun with the game despite thinking of myself as a story-first player.

darklinkpower

Neo Member
I'd buy Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, altough I already have it on 3DS, but last time I tried to buy something, two CC were not accepted.

Played a bit of metro 2033 and man,is the shooting weird in that game. I need more feedback that I'm actually hitting something

I just played the demo but it should be included in the main game. If you go to options you can turn on hit markers, that should help.

Still wondering if anyone knows how Bastion plays on the Vita, or if anyone who has played the game knows what the controls are and if they can be changed if some commands are mapped to R2/L2/R3/L3.

Can't tell you how it compares to Celceta (I know, I've only had it on my shelf for years now), but Ys Seven's story is pretty barebones compared to any Tales game. The franchise in general has always been much more about smacking things around and trying not to get killed by ridiculous bosses, and less about elaborate stories and character interactions. There is definitely a plot and characters to get attached to, don't get me wrong, but years later I don't remember Ys Seven's story nearly as well as, say, Tales of Vesperia.

Hopefully that helps you judge. For what it's worth, I still had plenty of fun with the game despite thinking of myself as a story-first player.

Yeah, that's basically what I had gathered. It's strange, because isn't Trails in the Sky supposed to be a game with a really good story and character interaction? It's also Falcon though, so I wonder if they really do just have a completely separate development team or something, like for Ys they specifically don't bother involving their good writers because they don't want to tie them up from working on Trails games?

Main reason I was dissapointed back when I got it (I think the Golden Week sale after it came out) was because the story didn't really even compare to Zelda. Zelda has arguably a deeper gameplay than story focus, but the stories they tell are often told well and have interesting events that have big impacts on the game even though they don't spend cumulative hours with characters talking or having the story railroad the gameplay very often. "Tales of" and most JRPGs have stories that are pretty involved, but I didn't expect really that level of story in Ys, since many people had recommended the game by comparing it to the Zelda series.

Maybe the solo Ys games are more like this (like I mentioned before, I have all the ones besides 5, 6 & 7 I guess) but I haven't played the solo ones to verify this. For clarification, I mean "solo" as in ones without a set of AI partners who follow Adol around. I imagine the solo games would have a cleaner slate with only the one main character wandering around, because it wouldn't feel as dragged down by Adol's silence without the presence of other speaking party members increasing the awkwardness.

Perhaps I should just jump in only with the expectation of getting the gameplay experience. The only problem is that skipping dialogue and scenes feels really weird to me, and if I don't do it the story seems mostly like its simply "there" rather than bothering to be truly engaging to the player. Again, this is mostly dissapointing because of the Zelda comparisons sometimes made with Ys, because even though Zelda also doesn't have a huge focus on developing characters and having lots of interactions between them, it does a very good job usually with what it's got.

One thing I menrioned earlier but have to say again is that the presentation of the story itself is pretty boring usually. Just characters staring at each other with stiff animation and usually no voiced dialogue. The sound the text makes as it crawls along also isn't as appealing or as engaging in most other games that use the same technique, because it sounds very pedestrian and isn't very imaginative. Compare to something like Undertale that conveys a character not only by the writing of their dialogue, but the sound it makes as it is written on screen, all without any voiced dialogue.

Is Seven at least a great game mechanically, would you say? One thing I wish is if the Ys games aren't concerned with engaging narrative, that they'd try to be more like character action games (DMC, Bayonetta).

Black Rock Shooter for $4? How was that? I remember it being delayed and stuff, but barely any opinions on it.

I liked the basic gameplay: resembling a turn-based RPG but actually in real time, tasking you with managing dodge/weapon/ability cooldowns to make it through battles intact (and limited healing so you can't just mindlessly tank hits). Boss battles were pretty fun, and for a PSP game I thought it looked rather sharp. It gets a little grindy with its mission objectives and you run through the same areas a lot, though. And definitely don't go in expecting much of a story. With all that said, I had a lot of fun with BRS. For $4 I would absolutely give it a shot.

Shizuka

Yeah, that's basically what I had gathered. It's strange, because isn't Trails in the Sky supposed to be a game with a really good story and character interaction? It's also Falcon though, so I wonder if they really do just have a completely separate development team or something, like for Ys they specifically don't bother involving their good writers because they don't want to tie them up from working on Trails games?

Main reason I was dissapointed back when I got it (I think the Golden Week sale after it came out) was because the story didn't really even compare to Zelda. Zelda has arguably a deeper gameplay than story focus, but the stories they tell are often told well and have interesting events that have big impacts on the game even though they don't spend cumulative hours with characters talking or having the story railroad the gameplay very often. "Tales of" and most JRPGs have stories that are pretty involved, but I didn't expect really that level of story in Ys, since many people had recommended the game by comparing it to the Zelda series.

Maybe the solo Ys games are more like this (like I mentioned before, I have all the ones besides 5, 6 & 7 I guess) but I haven't played the solo ones to verify this. For clarification, I mean "solo" as in ones without a set of AI partners who follow Adol around. I imagine the solo games would have a cleaner slate with only the one main character wandering around, because it wouldn't feel as dragged down by Adol's silence without the presence of other speaking party members increasing the awkwardness.

Perhaps I should just jump in only with the expectation of getting the gameplay experience. The only problem is that skipping dialogue and scenes feels really weird to me, and if I don't do it the story seems mostly like its simply "there" rather than bothering to be truly engaging to the player. Again, this is mostly dissapointing because of the Zelda comparisons sometimes made with Ys, because even though Zelda also doesn't have a huge focus on developing characters and having lots of interactions between them, it does a very good job usually with what it's got.

One thing I menrioned earlier but have to say again is that the presentation of the story itself is pretty boring usually. Just characters staring at each other with stiff animation and usually no voiced dialogue. The sound the text makes as it crawls along also isn't as appealing or as engaging in most other games that use the same technique, because it sounds very pedestrian and isn't very imaginative. Compare to something like Undertale that conveys a character not only by the writing of their dialogue, but the sound it makes as it is written on screen, all without any voiced dialogue.

Is Seven at least a great game mechanically, would you say? One thing I wish is if the Ys games aren't concerned with engaging narrative, that they'd try to be more like character action games (DMC, Bayonetta).

You play the Legend of Heroes games for the story and the Ys games for the gameplay.

You play the Legend of Heroes games for the story and the Ys games for the gameplay.

Why not both though? Ys can have quick fighting plus good story, Trails/LoH can have its turn based SRPG(?) gameplay as well. I just don't get why they wouldn't put the same effort in...

Edit:

Anyone able to recommend ZHP? I've seen some in this thread recommend it because of its roguelike elements, but what gets me into roguelikes isn't really that element alone, it has to have a lot more to it.

carlos

I wholeheartedly recommend ZHP, my favorite rougelike and a fun story. You cant beat the price either. Would love an updated sequel to this instead of more disgaeas.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just picked up Proteus. I hope it has deep, engaging gameplay mechanics.

autoduelist

What Sony is saying is all fairly standard in fraud protection. It does make sense, and they are doing the right thing even if in this case it's annoying for you.

You tried too many times in too short of a period; this locks down an account since it could be unauthorized access. The point of failure can be in multiple places -- it could be psn, it could be the cc authorization, etc. Usually it's a third party solution identifying potentially fraudulent activity and locking things down. They do not tell you it's locked down because that's sort of the point of fraud protection - as a security measure, you don't generally tell the person potentially committing fraud you've locked them out.

You also don't give customer service the ability to unlock accounts because you don't want someone to use social engineering to unlock an account [for example, if they had access to some of your personal info too, like SSN or address or whatever and convinced the rep they were you, reset the account, etc.]. Very standard -- some places do allow reps to free up an account, but it's actually preferred from a security standpoint not to allow this.

Following up on this, they refused to give me anything but the same damn canned response of "your account is locked, nothing we can do, nothing a supervisor can do, you just have to buy cards and wait it out". I'm really, really grumpy about this, since they were like "yup, it's our error but there's nothing we can do, anything else I can do for you?" And then the complaint website they gave me was broken. :|

For people wondering, the thing that apparently makes it unfixable is that, even though it never says this, trying and failing 10 times with your credit/paypal (which are apparently somehow screwy right now) causes it to lock you paying with them for 24 hours, and then if you keep trying it then it bumps to 48 hours, and for some godforsaken reason Customer Support apparently has no means of unlocking it.

So yeah, I'm annoyed, half considering switching from chat to a phone call to be like "this is bs, you guys screwed up and it's cost me time and effort, and your solution seems to involve me paying you more money then I need to spend at this time" to someone in person at least. Not great with those kinds of things, though. But yeah, this is really, really dumb and frustrating and is giving me a way worse view of Sony than I already had.

(Should I just make a separate thread at this point? Since I feel it's kind of off topic...)

They are telling you the truth. No point in making a thread.

The canned responses are intentional -- again, imagine someone trying to get around their security -- if everytime they set off a lockdown a rep told them why, they'd slowly be able to learn what not to do, and try again slightly differently. Canned, non-committal reponses are the proper response in this case. You don't tell the person how to get around it because you don't want the bad guys to learn how to get around it.

I know it sucks to not have them be able to unlock it for you, but trust me, if someone was trying to crack your account you'd be glad this was in place. It will sometimes negatively affect legitimate customers [like you] but the policies prevent actual fraud.

This really shouldn't be affecting your view of Sony negatively -- it's solid security, even if it sucks right now. It does tend to get people upset when they're accidentally locked out like you are but it's a cost of being secure -- this isn't sony being 'dumb' or 'bad', but being in the right.

[note- my wife works in the digital fraud prevention industry, though not Sony]

RedAssedApe

Banned
I know nothing about Everybody's Gone to Rapture, is it worth it for $8?

if you are into "walking simulators". i haven't played it but that particular one sounds extremely slow paced and not much in terms of gameplay. i would suggest reading reviews as it seems like one of those games where you'll either love or hate it. not really any middle ground.

i've personally decided to pass on it. gonna wait for soma, ethan carter, or life is strange

cchum

I know nothing about Everybody's Gone to Rapture, is it worth it for $8?

Yeah, it's about the right price for it. It's not really a game though, but more of an interactive cinematic. If you don't like things like that, you should pass. Also hold r2 to run if you do get it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, it's about the right price for it. It's not really a game though, but more of an interactive cinematic. If you don't like things like that, you should pass. Also hold r2 to run if you do get it.
YOU CAN FUCKING RUN?!?!

Top Bottom