• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

Eh, i´ll wait for the xbone emulator and play the xbone exclusives that way.

No UWAs, no windows store, and will probably perform better thanks to no UWA restrictions.

I got time.

Lux R7

Zc9DDBD.jpg

926.gif

wapplew

Likely in this case but something like Tomb Raider shows it can be different for a PC version if the devs want it that way and not a UWA problem.

Not UWA problem, also mean write once publish everywhere is flawed idea.
The biggest reason make UWA is gone.

Maximo

Even if this game didn't require windows 10 and everything was fixed for a perfect port i sure as hell am not supporting Microsoft or any of its games, its Vista all over again except now its OS based not service based and their in charge of the ports. History repeats itself and Microsoft has shown it's hand countless times, there is always something to play on PC I'm fine with not playing their dodgy ports.

poodaddy

It's what happens when middle management says "make us money on our store, because Apple and Google are doing it, we need to be too." Then they try to throw things at the wall to see what sticks. The thought was probably something like "Gamers want to play our games on PC, they have told us this. Let's use our store, that's what it's there for."

If they did it correctly this could have been a successful push. Unfortunately rushing, and making bad decisions look like they are going to make a GFWL 2 situation instead of the real push they wanted. Then a bunch of programmers will get "laid off" because of these issues and the managers that caused it will get promoted.

Yup, couldn't of put it better myself. And now I'm kinda sad....

Durante

It was almost as if we all saw it coming.
I have to admit I didn't.
I really thought they would be exceedingly careful with and dedicated to making their first few flagship titles for the platform perfect.
(Or at least as perfect as they can be within the UWP constraints)

nynt9

This is the only "official" word we have from Remedy so far in the form of an FAQ from their official forums:

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/260554-quantum-break-windows-10-faq

I'm receiving a "File IO Failulre" error notice and the game doesn't launch.
It's an issue caused by having a Unicode based user account. We're working on fixing it ASAP, will update this thread with the latest status.

Fuck, I can't even play this if I wanted to. Having a name that has non-English letters, and using that name for my MS account, that probably means my account won't work.

Funnily, Remedy are Finnish and they have several letters like that too so they must have encountered this as well.

Fuck, I can't even play this if I wanted to. Having a name that has non-English letters, and using that name for my MS account, that probably means my account won't work.

Funnily, Remedy are Finnish and they have several letters like that too so they must have encountered this as well.

Hrm...

"we're all living in Amerika... Amerika ist..."

derFeef

I really thought they would be exceedingly careful with and dedicated to making their first few flagship titles for the platform perfect.

I counted on Remedy as well but I guess they were too time limited. At least that's what I like to think.

jelly

Not UWA problem, also mean whole of write once publish everywhere is flawed idea.
The biggest reason make UWA is gone.

Not really. Games mean little to Microsoft beyond more eyeballs and development for the store. They want UWA for mobile like apps and to become the iTunes/ Google Play app store. Everything else is a sideshow. Games are being thrown under the bus, Microsoft don't care about becoming a Steam platform. If PC games help the app store gain traction and better adoption of UWA with mainstream app support, job done. If all those PC games are underwhelming, well tough luck, we have Instagram, Snapchat and mobile shovelware now like Apple and Google plus Windows Mobile has a heartbeat. That's Microsoft's end game, not PC games.

wazoo

That's Microsoft's end game, not PC games.

MS killed PC gaming in 2001 by releasing the Xbox. To their biggest surprise, the beast is still alive, whereas their favorite option has some problems.

By transfering all PC games to UWP and making them run bad, this is a strategy to kill the beast once more.

riflen

I read that running the game when not logged in to the Windows Store is a trigger for the anti-piracy DRM. Why would you not be logged in, citizen? =)

wapplew

Not really. Games mean little to Microsoft beyond more eyeballs and development for the store. They want UWA for mobile like apps and to become the iTunes/ Google Play app store. Everything else is a sideshow. Games are being thrown under the bus, Microsoft don't care about becoming a Steam platform. If PC games help the app store gain traction and better adoption of UWA with mainstream app support, job done. If all those PC games are underwhelming, well tough luck, we have Instagram, Snapchat and mobile shovelware now like Apple and Google plus Windows Mobile has a heartbeat. That's Microsoft's end game, not PC games.

True.
I guess when they say write once publish everywhere they meant Candy crash and minesweeper.
Good luck on windows mobile thou.

aeolist

Banned
That 720p 30fps baby butt smoothness.

if the xbox version doesn't have the frame timing issues then even at 30fps it'll look smoother

i have to think that this as well as gears are a result of MS's xbox -> UWP automatic conversion tools being used without much fine tuning

RoKKeR

MS releasing bad PC ports really defeats the entire purpose of their big cross-platform push. Not exactly encouraging going forward...

Bummer to hear the port isn't very good.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like I saw this coming when they released the specs and they were insanely high. Especially after the Gears of War remaster, although people did try to say it wouldn't be the case with this.

JaggedSac

MS killed PC gaming in 2001 by releasing the Xbox. To their biggest surprise, the beast is still alive, whereas their favorite option has some problems.

By transfering all PC games to UWP and making them run bad, this is a strategy to kill the beast once more.

Well, they are really goofing up the Embrace part of their evil strategy, lol.

hesido

This is the only "official" word we have from Remedy so far in the form of an FAQ from their official forums:

Also check if the cloud save has picked up your Xbox One game version gamma/brightness settings and pumped up the PC settings simultaneously.

Oh, nice use of cloud.

mxgt

Banned
Disappointment after disappointment.

Shame, was really looking forward to playing it. Hope they fix it up soon.

Saul

Banned
how are we not forced to put up with this bullshit when we want to play these games?

That's like complaining about EA forcing Origin upon you. It's the publisher's right to decide how gamers play their game. Microsoft happens to want to push the Xbox Live ecosystem to PCs, so it's only logical for them to bring console exclusives to the Windows Store.

Now after Steam, Origin and Gog.com we have a fourth ecosystem. I think it's a good thing for PC gaming. Competition is good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it was indeed too weird that Remedy managed to make a proper PC port ready for launch same time as console version, they're a small team after all, not famous for release in multiple platform at the same time, stop blaming UWP or Windows Store, the problem here is that this is essentially a copy/paste from console, due to lack of time for a proper PC porting

(LEAVE PHIL SPENCER ALONE! Sorry, but: No.)

...Which is a UWP problem. Microsoft have touted "CODE ONCE, PORT TWICE!" as a UWP function (read: "you make the game once and it can run on Windows and X-box no problem, easy peasy lemon squeezy"). The lack of UWP giving the PC version a quit button-in game is a symptom of the problem. Remedy released a console version (good), and then quickly used UWP at Microsoft's behest to release a PC version (bad, currently. Remains to be seen if MS actually will fix these problems or just throw their hands up again on their PC initiative) through the "UWP wrapper" (ugh for lack of better term) to quickly get a PC port up.

Remedy didn't put in enough time to give a proper PC port, that much is certain. But it is squarely on MS's head in regards to forcing them to do a UWP port to try to show you can do quickie console ports and have them "just work" on PC.

Composer

I posted a response in the PC performance thread but I wanted to echo it here.
I've played the game on an i7 4770k + 760GTX 2GB system on most low (set textures to medium), and its all been rather smooth..

I know there alot of people unhappy with the image quality (IQ) for the game, but like I expressed in that thread, it is a stylistic and engineering decision, not a porting issue. Its a really effects heavy game, relying less on resolution. Also, closing the app is a non-issue. Just do what you would normally do with any Win10 app.

Idk if its 'unoptimized', but I am able to play it and its a fun game.

That's like complaining about EA forcing Origin upon you. It's the publisher's right to decide how gamers play their game. Microsoft happens to want to push the Xbox Live ecosystem to PCs, so it's only logical for them to bring console exclusives to the Windows Store.

I think it's a good thing for PC gaming. Now after Steam, Origin and Gog.com we have a fourth ecosystem. Competition is good.
Yeah, a fourth ecosystem that eliminates most of the things that make PC gaming great. An ecosystem whose only benefit is that you can literally not buy some of its games anywhere else.

Such good competition. Surely this will improve PC gaming a hundredfold.

Now after Steam, Origin and Gog.com we have a fourth ecosystem. I think it's a good thing for PC gaming. Competition is good.

What have you been reading about Microsoft store all these weeks/months?
Microsoft store is not just another PC store like Uplay, Origin, GOG, etc. You have no clue at all.

Saul

Banned
The lack of UWP giving the PC version a quit button-in game is a symptom of the problem.

Have you actually tested this? I guess that's just a thing of people not knowing how to use universal apps. You should be able to close the game simply by hovering to the top right corner of the screen, where an X will appear, like it is the case for ALL universal apps.

Water

Not really. If I was in IT, I'd always make the user accounts with basic ASCII only, precisely because there are bad apps that throw a fit from Unicode. Something as commonplace as Irfanview (image viewer) fails when path has Asian characters. When I'm installing development tools, SDKs and libraries, I tend to not even put them anywhere that has spaces in the path because I've encountered some where the build scripts can't even handle that...

Still a sign of rushed game that something so basic would fail, but it's not a mystery by any means.

wazoo

What have you been reading about Microsoft store all these weeks/months?
Microsoft store is not just another PC store like Uplay, Origin, GOG, etc. You have no clue at all.

Exactly. If you want to change some store settings, you have to dig into the OS settings. It is just a tip on how much invasive this store will be on the principles and foundations of Windows itself. Let him grow and the store will become the only source of valid applications. Not now, not tomorrow, but someday.

Maximo

Yeah no this isn't competition, Microsoft is actively trying to strangle it.

dr_rus

It's MS, if they can't do this with their flagship OS product you shouldn't expect them to fare any better with games made by an external developer. This was expected really as the whole UWP idea is built on a false premise and it will take some beating for MS to realize this - as usual.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Have you actually tested this? I guess that's just a thing of people not knowing how to use universal apps. You should be able to close the game simply by hovering to the top right corner of the screen, where an X will appear, like it is the case for ALL universal apps.

"You should be able to alt-F4 out like all universal apps!"

WHOOSH. That's not the point. The point is if Remedy put in the time they would have an in-game "close this application" option in-game for controller (you know the people Microsoft is trying to court onto PC with this sort of initiative) people to not have to get up, get their mouse/keyboard and ALT+F4/X out. They shouldn't have to blindly rely on MS to provide that option under UWP for the application to throw it into the main-menu on port.

Guilty Gear: XX: The Midnight Carnival: Accent Core + R had no "quit button"/function for controllers on Steam release a year ago. You know what Arc did after people complained? They added it, quickly.

epmode

Holy shit, there are more than three digital stores/ecosystems on PC. Microsoft has had one for years now, well before the Windows 10 store! Do you know anything about the platform?

It's perfectly reasonable for Microsoft to keep their games exclusive to their store*. That's not what people are complaining about. They are complaining about UWP in particular, because it introduces restrictions that literally no other distributor has. Restrictions that cut out the heart of what makes PC gaming so interesting.

*although after GFWL and the closure of Xbox 1.0, I don't trust MS to keep the store open indefinitely.

And how you do this with a 360/xbone controller?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Competition in general is good.

Microsoft's specific brand of competition is fucking garbage.

No one is pushing for less competition on PC. We just want Microsoft to stop trying to make PC gaming worse in order to exert more control on the platform and make it more like the closed Xbox system.

JordanKZ

Competition in general is good.

Microsoft's specific brand of competition is fucking garbage.

No one is pushing for less competition on PC. We just want Microsoft to stop trying to make PC gaming worse in order to exert more control on the platform and make it more like the closed Xbox system.

Exactly my feelings on the matter. Plus, it's a closed pricing model... And a bloody expensive one at that. £50 for a digital PC game? Not a chance.

Top Bottom