• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

Mahathir Mohamad won this battle. Still kicking around with his pacemaker. And yes, they both have met before.

p2YM4NR.jpg

AJUMP23

A major shift is coming. Best wishes to her family.

one of the funny or touching things was seeing William call her GRAN in unguarded moments. Hopefully the family will follow her lead and stay out of stuff.

lukilladog

I don´t get it. A kid dies in the world every 5 seconds, and 30k people will die of hunger today... but the western news agencies think this is a day of mourning for humanity?.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
RIP

No knowledge of how it affects UK or what royalty does in the country but I can always sympathize with people losing their loved ones.
The coverage has been interesting. Im learning as well. I think its a deep sentimental symbolism for the continuity of the country basically. 1000 years. British identity is an interesting contradiction of rationalism mixed with a deep emotional patriotism I guess. Pretty interesting. Never really followed the royal family stuff.

anthony2690

Banned
I am glad my mum wont be able to trick me like when The Queen Mother died. She took me up to London on the premise we were going to Hamley's to buy me some toys, but instead when we got there we stood in a line for 5 hours to look at a coffin, and then went home. All I got was a comic book from WH Smiths.
I'm disappointed I can't surprise Pikachu face this post :(

dottme

She was Queen before I was even born. And I’m not that young.
It will be a big change and I hope the best for the new King.

RIP.

Hard to believe it's real, despite how inevitable it was. RIP to a most beloved monarch and God save the King.

That dumpster fire of a Reeeee thread really illustrates how the dipshits who live in that bubble are the lowest common denominator. Sniveling, pathetic lowlifes who have no place in actual society.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Queen Elisabeth: "My is the longest reign, I lived the WW2, met Churchill, Stalin, 8 US presidents, 15 UK prime ministers, Marylin Monroe and the Beatles"
Era: "Almost the same. I beat FFXV twice and I have 4 pronouns"
Her uncle even made a deal with Hitler to get his throne back.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As is the life of other people.
It just means their country is very old. It's a reminder of a past age, similar to an emperor in Japan. They hold on to it for tradition as part of their collective identity as far as I can tell. If it doesn't make sense to you, it is from a previous era when we had real monarchies hundreds of years ago, and they honor the tradition of it as a way of paying respect to the long history of their country. It's a tiny remnant of their distant past that they hold onto. I think even they would acknowledge it doesn't 100% make sense, since they are likely to have another debate of the role of the monarchy into the future, and change is always a possibility. They're finding the balance between tradition and modernity. Reminds me of Japan.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Why you guys keep conflating the intention of my post?. I´m talking about media and western news agencies. It´s perfectly fine if you see her like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom