• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera reflects: This place sucks. We want GAF back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
I've already explained away this kind of "concern" multiple times.

These threads are the most active. They're where I get the most replies to my comments. The other threads are quite slow. So obviously I will be more active here.

Please don't try to twist this to mean something it doesn't.

I have literally explained why I was unwilling, reasonably so, and said I will if we can do this, so drop the pettiness already. If you don't I will simply choose to ignore you, I have no interest in this kind of low quality debate.

Ok, good starting point, thank you.

Anyone else?

What does SJW mean?

Both terms are pretty nebulsous a lot of the time and merely point to more extreme opinions on either side, and both this forum and Era have their fair share. Era is much more apparent sue to the echo chamber brought on by the stupid moderation, and this site is much smaller and less active, but it's still here.

I'm not "concern" trolling and your explanation is weak, so I'm not buying it. I'm not telling you to go away; I'm telling you to go and participate in the main part of the forum before posting in threads that are a cathartic release for people who put up with the bullshit for years before the purge. You don't know the context because you've been here for 2 minutes so your opinions on this topic are close to irrelevant.

I'm not "concern" trolling and your explanation is weak, so I'm not buying it. I'm not telling you to go away; I'm telling you to go and participate in the main part of the forum before posting in threads that are a cathartic release for people who put up with the bullshit for years before the purge. You don't know the context because you've been here for 2 minutes so your opinions on this topic are close to irrelevant.

I've covered all of this before, you can drop it now thanks.

The rest of the thread moves very slowly.
I get the most replies here.

The activity is justified. I am trying to engage in other threads, but if I get a bunch of replies here should I just ignore them because I haven't fulfilled some quota elsewhere?

Your stance here is unreasonable and petty.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I've covered all of this before, you can drop it now thanks.

The rest of the thread moves very slowly.
I get the most replies here.

The activity is justified. I am trying to engage in other threads, but if I get a bunch of replies here should I just ignore them because I haven't fulfilled some quota elsewhere?

Your stance here is unreasonable and petty.

No, you haven't covered it, because your explanation is inadequate and not accepted. There are plenty of active threads in OT / Politics that you can participate in to build up your credibility before shitting this one up by constantly calling everyone here alt-right (and Nazi sympathisers by proxy). You apparently weren't here before the purge and refuse to educate yourself on the context of why these threads exist.

Papa

Banned
alt right means white supremacist I thought. Haven’t seen any of that here

Alt-right is synonymous with:
  • White supremacist
  • Nazi
  • Deplorable
  • Racist
  • Sexist
  • Misogynist
  • Transphobe
  • Islamophobe
  • Any other -ism or -phobia that the accuser wants to throw at you
It's the real dehumanising term and there's a great irony in NPCs crying about the alt-right.

louis89

Why do so many of our British posters have an unhealthy obsession with American politics and a radical left viewpoint? It seems to be really, really common....
British people are embarrassingly obsessed with America in general. Just look at BBC News; endless coverage of US midterm elections that have nothing to do with us, when nothing like that level of coverage is given to elections in other countries.

As for left wing viewpoints, those are just the ones that shout the loudest on the internet. The majority of British voters voted for Brexit. The Conservative Party is leading the polls and was the most voted for in the last three elections. Britain is actually quite a conservative country; you just don't hear from the average person across the country because they don't rage about politics online, unlike the people you hear from.

bitbydeath

British people are embarrassingly obsessed with America in general. Just look at BBC News; endless coverage of US midterm elections that have nothing to do with us, when nothing like that level of coverage is given to elections in other countries.

As for left wing viewpoints, those are just the ones that shout the loudest on the internet. The majority of British voters voted for Brexit. The Conservative Party is leading the polls and was the most voted for in the last three elections. Britain is actually quite a conservative country; you just don't hear from the average person across the country because they don't rage about politics online, unlike the people you hear from.

Australian media is the same way sadly.

Majority was by a few percent, so it's not just a small minority speaking against it. It was almost a 50/50 split, and that was at the time of the vote years ago...

And, again, politics are global and affect us all. This is a unrealistic view. And the average person right now is far more engaged than ever, political talk is common in all of my social circles.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Majority was by a few percent, so it's not just a small minority speaking against it. It was almost a 50/50 split, and that was at the time of the vote years ago...

And, again, politics are global and affect us all. This is a unrealistic view. And the average person right now is far more engaged than ever, political talk is common in all of my social circles.

I agree. In the 21st century, the argument of foreign politics being irrelevant to your own country just doesn't hold up. What happens in America affects us all.

L0wMax

There has been an increasing number instances where the users were alienated by the admins and mods with ridiculous bans like this. The community will eventually revolt if they keep repressing open discussion. They claim they want a safe space for minorities and LBGTQ but in reality it's a repressive regime where free speech is banned in the most literal sense of the word.

louis89

• User banned (5 Days): Ignoring modpost and dismissing concerns of transphobia
I get their intention with the tweet, but I don't share it at all.
That was stupid CDP. Very tone-deaf and stupid. Fix your social medias.
Holy shit. Do I win? Can anyone top this in finding the most ridiculous ban?​

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
supermassiveblackhole supermassiveblackhole I've given you a temp reply ban from this post and the other one. Branch out to other topics. You seem to equate fast moving threads with IM or Twitter. A forum is not a chat room. The biggest game of thebl year is about to drop, there are at least 64 other 'controversies' at any given time. There is plenty to discuss.

On top of this your posts are resembling copy and pastes. Given we read most of these posts, we've given you a lengthy time to provide your own 'receipts' I don't think you're actually bringing anything to this thread except asking the community to justify itself.

Ogbert

Why do so many of our British posters have an unhealthy obsession with American politics and a radical left viewpoint? It seems to be really, really common....

There's a significant proportion of the left in the UK that blame America for everything. They simply hate the country. If you look at the likes of Corbyn, even though young people think he's a breath of fresh air, he's actually just an unreconstructed leftist from the early 70s (the whole world revolved and came back to find him in the same position), with all the usual dislikes. He hates the US. Hates Nato. Likes Russia. LOVES countries that stand up to the US - hence his cheering for Venezuala and any Central / South American country that defies Washington. And, obviously, goes potty over Israel. None of this is necessarily a criticism - his prejudices are clear. If you share them, vote for him.

My compatriots that annoy me are our actors. I apologize that we export our most attractive thickos to lecture you on politics, whilst they rake in millions of dollars for playing some vapid dickhead or tart in their latest pointless movie.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Actually the majority voted for left/centre parties if you look at share of vote, but due to first past the post and lots of gerrymandering the Tories got in. That said I agree that the media that Americans likely see (ie the BBC) does a poor job of reflecting the true range of British opinion, being quite heavily SJW and anti-Trump (I don't like Trump much but even I can see the bias). On the other hand, our written media is pretty heavily right-wing biased, with only two left-wing papers (the Mirror and the Guardian) against a vast swathe of right-wing stuff like the Mail, the Sun, the Times, the Telegraph, etc. I will say that the BBC and other left-leaning media utterly failed to get the Brexit thing, which actually has a leftist case for it that's not really been presented in any of the media, but that's a conversation for another day.

Ogbert

but due to first past the post and lots of gerrymandering the Tories got in.

Well, if the interest of balance, let's not forget that UKIP fostered 4 million votes, equaling a single vote in Parliament. Surely an electoral sham? First past the post has benefited *everyone*. Even Blair at his heights only mustered 30% or so support.

I will say that the BBC and other left-leaning media utterly failed to get the Brexit thing, which actually has a leftist case for it that's not really been presented in any of the media, but that's a conversation for another day.

That's a very important point and one that you and I touched on a few days back. The absence of any left wing economic discussion. There's a reason Len McCluskey (head of our Unions, for our American chums) has gone public and said that any second referendum, should it pass, must not contain an option to remain in the EU. People insist on viewing Brexit as left / right. It's not. Wales voted exclusively out. They have one Tory MP. The North of England voted almost exclusively out. Do they even have a single Tory MP :) ?

Brexit was a result of white, working class people sticking two fingers up at anyone that would listen. They are the traditional Labour voters that have been abandoned. At least Len McCluskey remembered his audience.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if the interest of balance, let's not forget that UKIP fostered 4 million votes, equaling a single vote in Parliament. Surely an electoral sham? First past the post has benefited *everyone*. Even Blair at his heights only mustered 30% or so support.

That's a very important point and one that you and I touched on a few days back. The absence of any left wing economic discussion. There's a reason Len McCluskey (head of our Unions, for our American chums) has gone public and said that any second referendum, should it pass, must not contain an option to remain in the EU. People insist on viewing Brexit as left / right. It's not. Wales voted exclusively out. They have one Tory MP. The North of England voted almost exclusively out. Do they even have a single Tory MP :) ?

Brexit was a result of white, working class people sticking two fingers up at anyone that would listen. They are the traditional Labour voters that have been abandoned. At least Len McCluskey remembered his audience.

Oh absolutely UKIP's representation was a disgrace (and for the record I think they're twunts, but unfairness is unfairness whichever side it affects). That said, UKIP collapsed at the more recent election, probably a mix of falling apart after they got what they wanted and the problem of the wasted vote (plus the Tories went further right to mop up those UKIP votes).

On Brexit, I'll do a short version but I posted a thread a while back where I detailed my thoughts a bit more accurately - essentially the EU was a noble idea but it got a bit out of hand, and free movement has hurt the working classes the most, with wages at the bottom of the market suppressed by an increase in supply of workers and no corresponding increase in demand. Try getting a job as a cleaner or working on a building site some time when you're British. There's a lot of good, such as rules on working hours etc, but unfortunately that single failure did so much harm as to drown it out, and unfortunately if you say anything about it you're racist. As someone who migrated for a few years I saw the impact Brits and other Europeans had in Asia so I was able to see it from the other side and understand the impact my own people were having - it allows you to think about this stuff without being racist, and then transpose that freedom to other situations.

L0wMax

andre_tweet.png

So this just happened.

Last edited:

L0wMax

I didn't follow exactly what happened, but why would anyone be upset over a leak?
Supposedly some of the forum members with inside information were hinting that it was fake, but couldn't say outright because of NDAs I would assume. Breakdowns in the thread ensued and one thing led to another.

Brizzady

Banned
-Arguing in bad faith
- History of behavior
- whataboutism
- gas-lighting
- racist behavior

These are just a few of the labels the dumbshit mods at Resetera will apply to a post of someone who shares an opinion contrary to their own. The only people dumber than their mods are their web designers. Have you seen the newer themes? Holy crap they're awful.

Last edited:
-Arguing in bad faith
- History of behavior
- whataboutism
- gas-lighting
- racist behavior

These are just a few of the labels the dumbshit mods at Resetera will apply to a post of someone who shares an opinion contrary to their own. The only people dumber than their mods are their web designers. Have you seen the newer themes? Holy crap they're awful.
Yeah, they're a ban happy group for sure. They also tend to lock topics where they ban people to hide it too.

I will disagree with the design. ERA definitely has a better design than GAF. It's so much easier to navigate, especially on a phone. The quick buttons at the bottom are fantastic. My biggest complaint is that the night theme is gray and not fully black. Would save battery if it was black (OLEDs don't power black pixels)

L0wMax

-Arguing in bad faith
- History of behavior
- whataboutism
- gas-lighting
- racist behavior

Technically anyone can be banned for "trolling" or "concern trolling" (lol) because any independent opinion will result in dogpiling and derailed threads.

eot

Banned
  • User banned (5 Days): Ignoring modpost and dismissing concerns of transphobia
I get their intention with the tweet, but I don't share it at all.
That was stupid CDP. Very tone-deaf and stupid. Fix your social medias.
Holy shit. Do I win? Can anyone top this in finding the most ridiculous ban?​
Even setting aside the issue that the reason given doesn't apply to the post at all, I don't see how "dismissing concerns" is a bannable offense.

Freeman76

If they come back then GAF will return to being as wierd as it was before they left. Era is a really sickening place, its not far from a cult of misguided weaklings who moan about everything. Ive never seen anything so cringeworthy. Please dont let them all back here.

I'm a huge fan of mod-posts and red text in OP - they usually close all possible responses of people who don't agree with whatever is current outrage.

If they come back then GAF will return to being as wierd as it was before they left. Era is a really sickening place, its not far from a cult of misguided weaklings who moan about everything. Ive never seen anything so cringeworthy. Please dont let them all back here.

Gaming side isn't so bad - they even often try to stop the crazies within boundaries that they are given by moderators.

It kinda reminds me of comunism in Poland - where a lot of people played a cat and mouse game against regime trying to preserve as much as was possible against the government.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I doubt it. The moderation team does well in keeping the peace and letting discussions flow. We have had a number of members return from Era (or partake in both) that have been removed due to their toxic attitudes. Just look at PheonixRising, Do Make Say Think, and others.

petran79

Banned

First they'll need to unban their accounts and many of them are already exposed.

Freeman76

I'm a huge fan of mod-posts and red text in OP - they usually close all possible responses of people who don't agree with whatever is current outrage.

Gaming side isn't so bad - they even often try to stop the crazies within boundaries that they are given by moderators.

It kinda reminds me of comunism in Poland - where a lot of people played a cat and mouse game against regime trying to preserve as much as was possible against the government.

I dunno man, some threads are ok but even on the gaming side its pretty pathetic most of the time. Such a bunch of nasty buggers to people who have a different opinion. Have you seen the RDR2 OT for example? Usually its the same people who were a nightmare here before the 'fall' too.

Blam

First they'll need to unban their accounts and many of them are already exposed.

Anyone who hard balled their shit for ERA probably got their accounts banned. Honestly I don't want anyone from ERA who was banned to ever come back to this site. Really tough shit and better luck next time is all I gotta say.

Last edited:

L0wMax

What's really interesting to me is the "fake gamer girls" thread on here. It's a thread that would be closed instantly and the OP would be banned for "sexist trolling and misogyny" at Era, but it remains open and an actual discussion about it is taking place. Yea there's posters that seem to hold "gamergater" views or whatever you want to call it, but they're in the minority. They said their bit, and most people simply ignored them instead of going crazy and calling them all sorts of names. This allowed the discussion to continue and the thread seemed to reach a general consensus of: "who really cares?/leave it be"

We can think of a forum as a melting pot, with each member banned and each thread closed, the diversity of ideas boil off bit by bit, and what's left in the pot is one thread, and one idea, that is socially acceptable. The purpose of a forum is to exchange ideas and discuss them. With less ideas in the pot, there is very little discussion to be had, so the pot quickly comes to a boil and burns.

Blam

What's really interesting to me is the "fake gamer girls" thread on here. It's a thread that would be closed instantly and the OP would be banned for "sexist trolling and misogyny" at Era, but it remains open and an actual discussion about it is taking place. Yea there's posters that seem to hold "gamergater" views or whatever you want to call it, but they're in the minority. They said their bit, and most people simply ignored them instead of going crazy and calling them all sorts of names. This allowed the discussion to continue and the thread seemed to reach a general consensus of: "who really cares?/leave it be"

We can think of a forum as a melting pot, with each member banned and each thread closed, the diversity of ideas boil off bit by bit, and what's left in the pot is one thread, and one idea, that is socially acceptable. The purpose of a forum is to exchange ideas and discuss them. With less ideas in the pot, there is very little discussion to be had, so the pot quickly comes to a boil and burns.

if that thread is talking about what I think it's talking about which is TikTok "gamers" then it makes sense, but those are preteens to teenagers. So I don't see why they'd need to be outraged at it lol

L0wMax

if that thread is talking about what I think it's talking about which is TikTok "gamers" then it makes sense, but those are preteens to teenagers. So I don't see why they'd need to be outraged at it lol
Neither do I. But go post the thread there and see what happens. Go ahead, it'll be our little social experiment.

Blam

What happened? If you dont mind me asking.
Was kicked off because they accused me of leaking the logos one of which was mine, then they accused me of leaking the invite keys because I was in the Canadian Deals discord.

Except the mods/admins on there can sorta confirm that I've never used a invite code, and actually never seen one. Whole lotta bullshit but blame Nicole basically. Since during the exodus i had mentioned I would continue using NeoGAF, so she singled me out and kicked me from the design team, and off of the admin team. Then both teams shittalked me.

Nothing they said was proven because I never got proof.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Was kicked off because they accused me of leaking the logos one of which was mine, then they accused me of leaking the invite keys because I was in the Canadian Deals discord.

Except the mods/admins on there can sorta confirm that I've never used a invite code, and actually never seen one. Whole lotta bullshit but blame Nicole basically. Since during the exodus i had mentioned I would continue using NeoGAF, so she singled me out and kicked me from the design team, and off of the admin team. Then both teams shittalked me.

Nothing they said was proven because I never got proof.
You were a part of CanadaGAF?

Fuck those guys. I was basically shunned and kicked from the Discord because I said I didn't see the appeal of Labo.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I got banned for 3 days for posting a Jordan Peterson video (whom I admire greatly as a helpful psychologist) in response to someone who was struggling with Mental illness. The reason they gave was 'spreading propoganda from an Alt Right figurehead'. Its wrong on so many levels I actually wished there was somewhere I could report them for it.

Even on the gaming side you have people with serious mental health issues, high levels of narcissism and addiction, running riot and ganging up on people who like their hated game. Guys thay buy every fucking game released, pop up in every single OT just to point out whats wrong with the game, even though they cant possibly have time to invest properly into any of them (ex GAFFER Leng Jai for example had a rep for that on here, and on Era he is just one of many now).

All this is made worse by the fact they hold that site in high regard. They basically stole GAF and made it ten times worse. I'm glad some people remained here to rebuild it. Fuck ERA.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I got banned for 3 days for posting a Jordan Peterson video (whom I admire greatly as a helpful psychologist) in response to someone who was struggling with Mental illness. The reason they gave was 'spreading propoganda from an Alt Right figurehead'. Its wrong on so many levels I actually wished there was somewhere I could report them for it.

Even on the gaming side you have people with serious mental health issues, high levels of narcissism and addiction, running riot and ganging up on people who like their hated game. Guys thay buy every fucking game released, pop up in every single OT just to point out whats wrong with the game, even though they cant possibly have time to invest properly into any of them (ex GAFFER Leng Jai for example had a rep for that on here, and on Era he is just one of many now).

All this is made worse by the fact they hold that site in high regard. They basically stole GAF and made it ten times worse. I'm glad some people remained here to rebuild it. Fuck ERA.

Anyone with half a brain knows that Peterson is as much a member of the alt-right as Hillary or Obama (which is to say, he is not at all a member). Sorry to hear what happened, but stick around and post some cool new threads.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah tbh I don't have any issues with Jordan Peterson, in that he argues a point forcefully but eloquently and with good grace. I may or may not agree with everything he says, but I respect his right to say it, because he says it well and it needs someone to say it.

L0wMax

I personally don't find his arguments very convincing (admittedly I didn't watch a whole lot), but it definitely shouldn't be a bannable offense to share a youtube video.

pel1300

I agree. In the 21st century, the argument of foreign politics being irrelevant to your own country just doesn't hold up. What happens in America affects us all.

A girl from New Zealand asked me what Independence Day is in America. I answered. So then she said "Does that mean England owned them?"

The next day at a multicultural meeting, I asked a group of people how common it was for a 21 year old from New Zealand to not know this. The replies I got were:

"That's nothing strange. People don't care about the US"

10 min later...

"Why do I harbor a grudge against the US? Because their policies affect the entire world!!!!!"

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I personally don't find his arguments very convincing (admittedly I didn't watch a whole lot), but it definitely shouldn't be a bannable offense to share a youtube video.

If you can remember, which arguments do you specifically disagree with? I’ve seen a lot of misrepresentation of his arguments and people just parroting those misrepresentations, the most obvious example being the “enforced monogamy” comment, which was painted as some kind of dystopian Handmaid’s Tale proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom