• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi shows concept art of new Mistwalker game, hopes to unveil in ~1 yr

Maniel

Banned
Terra Battle has been fun for the time that I spent with it, but I'm ready for some classic rpg action. Make it happen Sakaguchi.

harSon

Banned
Hopefully not single platform exclusive. This would effectively kill his new game. I hope for the sake of Mistwalker that this isn't the case. It better be PS4/Xbox One, with an eventual PC release.

If it's on current gen consoles then it's going to almost assuredly be a console exclusive. He had to many lukewarm returns on investment last generation for a 3rd party developer to risk bankrolling a moderate/large budget JRPG.

Alvarez

Banned
Hironobu Sakaguchi is my uncle. I have more details for everyone:

- The name of the game is Tea Time Trine: End of Evergraves ~Ludocrixia~. Shortened, the title is T3-E2 ~Ludocrixia~.

- The game is inspired by old-school RPGs such as FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Undertale.

- The game will be released across multiple platforms: iOS, Mobile, and the SH-M02-EVA20. Episode I will be iOS exclusive, Episode II will be Mobile exclusive, and Episode III will be SH-M02-EVA20 exclusive. Sakaguchi says that he wants the effort to play the entire game to be a "unique journey spanning platforms in search of unification".

- Ludocrixia will be completely free. Players will have the option to purchase extra content in the game's e-shop. Extra content includes music, story, characters, combat, and gameplay--none of which will be offered in the base game, to "preserve the purity of the game's artistic value". Alternate costumes for the game's female characters will also be available.

- The woman in the first screenshot is actually named Ludocrixia. She is a princess with a mysterious pendant who gets kidnapped.

- To show an enduring partnership with Square, Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning can also be purchased in the game's e-shop.

- Ludocrixia does not actually exist yet. Ludocrixia is a crowdfunded project that will go live on January 29, 2018. If the project does not meet its crowdfunding goals, then it will be made clear that the fans don't care about Sakaguchi at all and never want any games from him ever again.

Squalor

I wonder if Mistwalker would have remained relevant had they developed for the PlayStation so that their games could have had a chance to actually sell well.

Looks like Bravely. Wonder how that chibi-style would translate to current-gen 3D though.

If it's on current gen consoles then it's going to almost assuredly be a console exclusive. He had to many lukewarm returns on investment last generation for a 3rd party developer to risk bankrolling a moderate/large budget JRPG.

Yep. Could see MS pitching in for it; they seemed fairly happy with Lost Odyssey's performance - at least critically - if I recall.

Xbox One exclusive?

I think thuway said something about it on twitter around 2 years ago.

If exclusive, hopefully at most it's a Windows 10&Xbox One exclusive. Would have far better chances of success. Am not confident that the Xbox audience would be enough on their own.

Ridley327

I wonder if Mistwalker would have remained relevant had they developed for the PlayStation so that their games could have had a chance to actually sell well.

Since virtually all of their output prior to the mobile shift had first party backing, I'm not sure I could really see Sony backing them with the other devs they had in the same situation. Muscling out the proven likes of Level 5 and From Software for Mistwalker wouldn't have been the smart play for them, even with Sakaguchi's credits. That's even after discounting the alleged beef between Sakaguchi and Kutaragi at that time.

What happened to cry on?

Cancelled, likely due to MS losing interest in funding original JRPGs once they secured FFXIII.

If it's an xbone exclusive MS would probably be footing the entire developement bill. I'm not saying it won't be the case but I really don't see why they'd do that. The game aint gonna sell consoles and nobody in japan cares.

The art looks purdy though.

If it's an xbone exclusive MS would probably be footing the entire developement bill. I'm not saying it won't be the case but I really don't see why they'd do that. The game aint gonna sell consoles and nobody in japan cares.

The art looks purdy though.
16 people with Xbox ones care and thats all that matters. Deal with that.

Would love a new console game by Sakaguchi. Honestly, he's one of the most respected developers in the industry who can still pull out fresh new ideas in my opinion

Sakaguchi is as relevant as he wants to be, dude is independent and apparently likes it that way.

Also, all Mistwalker projects prior to mobile were publisher funded, so if there wasn't a PlayStation game, you would blame Sony for that.

Izayoi

Banned
Destined to be kusoge, which is damn shame because I fucking love the HoL/BD art style... Great art imprisoned in phone game hell. RIP ;_;

It's probably not. (Yoshida is a director at CyGames now.)

It's more likely Kimihiko Fujisaka.

Sure it's not Hideo Minaba?

animu.ru-ash-archaic-sealed-heat-%281024x768%29-wallpaper-002.jpg

EDIT: Guess I was wrong.

I hope it's a console game. I'm dying for a new Sakaguchi console RPG. I know people ragged on The Last Story, but I gotta be honest, I enjoyed EVERY minute of it. It had that sort of spirit/soul you just don't find much in modern RPGs that harkened back to older RPGs of the 90s.Maybe it's just the Gooch's touch, which makes his RPGs helluva endearing to me. With the PS4 being a great focus for JRPGs, Sakaguchi, bring it on! All are welcome!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to make an unorthodox guess and say that Square Enix will fund their next game on the basis they're bothering to make mobile crossover events with Mistwalker.

The Eidos side of the company also seems to be having an impact on corporate culture because they were willing to hire someone who left for another publisher and came back and put them as a project lead on a new project, which is very common in the West, but quite uncommon in Japan.

Squalor

Sakaguchi is as relevant as he wants to be, dude is independent and apparently likes it that way.

Also, all Mistwalker projects prior to mobile were publisher funded...
That's a nice thought, but your very next clause debunks that.

Anyway, I'd love to play another Mistwalker game, but it would have to be a console game, which this won't be.

Ridley327

I really don't see MS going for this, even for diversification purposes. They have the big JRPG titles coming to the Xbox One through the sheer economics of their productions, and they didn't show any interest in reaching out for less successful franchises or growing new IPs once they made sure they were in a position to get the real big titles.

I mean, look at their Japanese portfolio this gen: a holdover from the 360 in Crimson Dragon and a big project from Platinum Games that's doing its damnedest to not look like a Platinum Games title. Not exactly Tales of Vesperia, two Tri-Ace titles and a multi-game deal with the creator of Final Fantasy!

Man, I love these designs.

It's also the only Mistwalker game I never got to play. :-\

Looking up Minaba's artwork, I found it interesting how many different games he's done art for outside of Square. He did it for Crimson Shroud and Granblue Fantasy.

Reading the details in the first post, a console RPG with a graphical style that looks like living art(sorta cel-shaded-esque, but looking like stylized color pencil in 3D) would be awesome.

Mr. RPG

Apparently this game's official reveal is still about a year away.

That's going to be a long and difficult wait.

Hi there. So as stated I'm the guy who was at the talk/Q&A. Just to clarify a few things:

- The art is courtesy of Fujisaka. Part of the reason Sakaguchi wants the game's art to have that sort of sketch 3D look is because of how much of a fan he is of Fujisaka's artwork.
- He didn't state definitively if it was going to be console or mobile. However, an answer to a question seemed to indicate that it was very much a possibility. Unfortunately, I personally don't have a recording of the question (or any). Given that the game will have a 3D art style, that does at least push it a bit more towards the console side (at least in my eyes). Thankfully, my school did record the talk. Hopefully that will be uploaded somewhere soon. In which case, I'll make sure to post a link.
- Beyond that, there was very little actual discussion of the game in question. More than anything it was a question and answer session.

I shot a video of him discussing the artwork (as well as some artwork for some upcoming Terra Battle stuff). In that video you can see an early prototype of what they're trying to go for in the game's look. It's uploading as we speak. It's about 9 minutes long, and the stuff specifically relevant to the new game are in the back half of the video. I'll post a link to that once it finishes uploading.

I'm going to make an unorthodox guess and say that Square Enix will fund their next game on the basis they're bothering to make mobile crossover events with Mistwalker.

Hashimoto said they have more surprises for this year. A SE X Mistwalker console game would be bigger than NieR: Automata in terms of surprise (at least for me).

Recently Famitsu (or Jump, I don't remember) posted a video of Sakaguchi playing Brave Exvius. What's happening? lol

desmax

It's probably not. (Yoshida is a director at CyGames now.)

It's more likely Kimihiko Fujisaka.

You know, assuming Mistwalker would need a developer in order to make a current gen game, could this be that PS4 game CyGames are developing?

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/cygames-opens-ps4-focused-osaka-studio
They announced the opening of their new PS4-focused development studios 8 months ago.
And, for a big scale title like Lost Odyssey, it would probably take 2 years until it's ready for announcement, so "He said he’ll probably be able to fully reveal the game in a year." seems to fit

What's going on with 1st girl's arms?

According to Sakaguchi, those are swords. Apparently she has swords for arms. I dunno. She's the princess of the villainous faction. That creature behind her is a dragon.

Isn't VoltySquirrel a member on GAF

Clearly I am. :p

I think he is, but I don't recall for sure.

Gooch signed his copies of FFIX and Lost Odyssey too!

He did. I was happy like you wouldn't believe. I was really scared asking him but he was cool with it. (link to pics: https://twitter.com/VoltySquirrel/status/692144833281069056)

Top Bottom