• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi shows concept art of new Mistwalker game, hopes to unveil in ~1 yr

I guess there was no talk about the port of Terra Battle to console ? Something Sakaguchi promised to after 1 million download even though he had actually no idea of how to proceed.

You know, assuming Mistwalker would need a developer in order to make a current gen game, could this be that PS4 game CyGames are developing?

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/cygames-opens-ps4-focused-osaka-studio
They announced the opening of their new PS4-focused development studios 8 months ago.
And, for a big scale title like Lost Odyssey, it would probably take 2 years until it's ready for announcement, so "He said he’ll probably be able to fully reveal the game in a year." seems to fit

Maybe? Mistwalker is mostly based out of Honolulu, creatively. Given that Sakaguchi lives in Hawaii, I don't know if he'd move back to Japan to work on it. Who knows, though.

I guess there was no talk about the port of Terra Battle to console ? Something Sakaguchi promised to after 1 million download even though he had actually no idea of how to proceed.

Not specifically, no. However, he was showing off 3D stuff related to Terra Battle (in the video). So, possibly? I thought to ask that question but I wasn't able to.

anaron

Hi there. So as stated I'm the guy who was at the talk/Q&A. Just to clarify a few things:

- The art is courtesy of Fujisaka. Part of the reason Sakaguchi wants the game's art to have that sort of sketch 3D look is because of how much of a fan he is of Fujisaka's artwork.
- He didn't state definitively if it was going to be console or mobile. However, an answer to a question seemed to indicate that it was very much a possibility. Unfortunately, I personally don't have a recording of the question (or any). Given that the game will have a 3D art style, that does at least push it a bit more towards the console side (at least in my eyes). Thankfully, my school did record the talk. Hopefully that will be uploaded somewhere soon. In which case, I'll make sure to post a link.
- Beyond that, there was very little actual discussion of the game in question. More than anything it was a question and answer session.

I shot a video of him discussing the artwork (as well as some artwork for some upcoming Terra Battle stuff). In that video you can see an early prototype of what they're trying to go for in the game's look. It's uploading as we speak. It's about 9 minutes long, and the stuff specifically relevant to the new game are in the back half of the video. I'll post a link to that once it finishes uploading.

awesome info. thanks for sharing! :)

Maybe? Mistwalker is mostly based out of Honolulu, creatively. Given that Sakaguchi lives in Hawaii, I don't know if he'd move back to Japan to work on it. Who knows, though.

Not specifically, no. However, he was showing off 3D stuff related to Terra Battle (in the video). So, possibly? I thought to ask that question but I wasn't able to.

Thanks sir squirrel !

Pooya

Is it bad that I assumed it is for a canceled game before entering the thread? :eek: actually surprised they have a console game seemingly. cool.

desmax

Good point; can't really see him going for Japan even if it was Square Enix.
He could work from his office too, I guess

btw, congrats for getting his autographs!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hashimoto said they have more surprises for this year. A SE X Mistwalker console game would be bigger than NieR: Automata in terms of surprise (at least for me).

Recently Famitsu (or Jump, I don't remember) posted a video of Sakaguchi playing Brave Exvius. What's happening? lol

I think one positive out of the collapse of the Japanese dedicated industry is that egos across the board have largely evaporated and the walls between publishers, other publishers, and even former staff have eroded.

Publishers are very frequently willing to work in collaboration with other Japanese publishers, and I get the sense that publishers are also more open minded toward working with their old staff again. Like Capcom and Platinum seem to be on a relatively positive note at this point as well, which was probably not considered a super likely business partnership five years ago.

Similarly no one is embarrassed to publicly mention they play and are inspired by titles by other companies anymore, which was not always a thing.

Is it bad that I assumed it is for a canceled game before entering the thread? :eek: actually surprised they have a console game seemingly. cool.
Not really. Mistwalker has a lot of cancelled stuff, unfortunately. :(

Also, seemingly is the important word there. I wanna stress that he never said definitively (that I can remember) that it was going to be console. Just the vibe I got based on how he talked about the game.

Apparently the video was already uploaded to iCloud by the time I tried to put it on YouTube, because the video on there is 360p (it's not still processing). So, I have to redownload it from iCloud and reupload it. All 1.6 GB (damn you 1080p60 recording and my 16GB phone). So it's gonna be a hot minute before the video is up.

duckroll

Looks good. Wonder what developers Mistwalker are working with now. If they're moving ahead with Terra Battle consumer edition and this, they must have new partners, seeing how AQI is kinda dead.

I think one positive out of the collapse of the Japanese dedicated industry is that egos across the board have largely evaporated and the walls between publishers, other publishers, and even former staff have eroded.

Publishers are very frequently willing to work in collaboration with other Japanese publishers, and I get the sense that publishers are also more open minded toward working with their old staff again. Like Capcom and Platinum seem to be on a relatively positive note at this point as well, which was probably not considered a super likely business partnership five years ago.

Similarly no one is embarrassed to publicly mention they play and are inspired by titles by other companies anymore, which was not always a thing.

Hopefully all of this is true since it could only mean great things in the future, especially when we consider potential partnerships.

After Kamiya started asking people on twitter about a possible new project with Capcom, it made me remember when Clover was still alive and Capcom was one of the most amazing publishers in terms of line-up and quality. If they could work with Platinum nowadays I'm sure we'd see something incredible. There's still time for that.

wmlk

Hopefully all of this is true since it could only mean great things in the future, especially when we consider potential partnerships.

After Kamiya started asking people on twitter about a possible new project with Capcom, it made me remember when Clover was still alive and Capcom was one of the most amazing publishers in terms of line-up and quality. If they could work with Platinum nowadays I'm sure we'd see something incredible. There's still time for that.

A proper sequel to Ōkami.

Believe.

Alrighty. Video is up. But first, here's a fullshot of the villain princess art. Part of it was cut off from the photo I originally posted. Not too much was cut off but I figured I might as well post it anyway.
vyNIRFx.jpg

As for the video, here ya go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myx_M8kEiro

Oh, so he wasn't forced to develop solely for a particular system because some other company funded the project for him?
No, he is not "forced" to do anything.

Sakaguchi/Mistwalker is an independent contractor, they work with publishers for big projects that need money (as many independent developers do) and self-fund/self-publish their smaller projects.

Izuna

Banned
I have an unused first press copy of The Last Story (Japanese) -- sadly I haven't played it because I don't have my OWN Wii (okay my family has one, so what), but I LOVE Sakaguchi.

Lost Odyssey was remarkable and so is Blue Dragon. I want them both to hit BC or a remaster with 60fps.

Lost Odyssey was remarkable and so is Blue Dragon. I want them both to hit BC or a remaster with 60fps.
I think I heard they were high on the list for BC.

By the way, you really should crack that Last Story open and play it, it's such a unique game.

You missed out on the multiplayer though, which was so much fun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just make The Last Story 2. It is what everyone needs.

is it an demonstration of what they hope to achieve with Terra Battle or the unannounced future project?

I think it might be both? The first character is clearly meant for Terra Battle. However, the second is probably also a character for Terra Battle that they decided to experiment with the sketch look that he wants for the new game. Specifically the animations of the girl in yellow at around 3:24. The ones he brings up of the same character is probably also another test of the same idea but a bit cleaner.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

This is a really fascinating interpretation. I agree... I never really thought about it that way before, but yeah. I agree.

Boss Mog

Whatever he makes, it needs to be on PS4. The fact that his big games were on 360 and Wii last gen really hurt him cause the audience for JRPGs just wasn't there, especially in Japan.

Boss★Moogle;193426013 said:
Whatever he makes, it needs to be on PS4. The fact that his big games were on 360 and Wii last gen really hurt him cause the audience for JRPGs just wasn't there, especially in Japan.

The fact that his big games were funded by MS and Nintendo should indicate to you that the problem was elsewhere.

Top Bottom