• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi shows concept art of new Mistwalker game, hopes to unveil in ~1 yr

New game art looks real nice but is no one gonna mention how sweet those 3d terra battle characters look?

cant wait for the pc version of TB

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Does Terra Battle feature a narrative-dream adventure whereby players control characters across overworlds from point a to point b and so on?

duckroll

Does Terra Battle feature a narrative-dream adventure whereby players control characters across overworlds from point a to point b and so on?

Sort... of? I mean, it's still very much a gacha-driven mobile game where most of the non-combat interactions are menu driven. There's no exploration of towns or dungeons if that's what you're looking for. It does have a (really long) story though. The game starts as a rag tag group of adventures (specific names are never referred to in the story text because the party depends on who you pull at the start of the game) decide to seek out a tower to find an answer to the impending end of the world as the land starts to fall apart.

Each chapter in the game is accessed on a world map which traces your movement from place to place, so it's a glorified menu, but it looks nice. Chapters are basically a bunch of battles in a row with novel style story text between battles. The artwork and music is very nice. In addition, while the main story only refers to specific story characters by name, the characters you pull from the gacha do have personal stories and backgrounds of their own which you can read in their profiles, and the stories expand as you unlock their jobs. Some characters have connections with other characters, so when you pull characters who are connected, they have additional interactions added to their profile text.

There were 30 chapters when the game first launched, with an ending at the end. Since then they've added 4 additional chapters which act as a post-game sidestory of sorts with an ending as well. They've been talking about adding more story chapters in future, and there's a 4 chapter self-contained story being added in the near future written and designed by Matsuno.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Sort... of? I mean, it's still very much a gacha-driven mobile game where most of the non-combat interactions are menu driven. There's no exploration of towns or dungeons if that's what you're looking for. It does have a (really long) story though. The game starts as a rag tag group of adventures (specific names are never referred to in the story text because the party depends on who you pull at the start of the game) decide to seek out a tower to find an answer to the impending end of the world as the land starts to fall apart.

Each chapter in the game is accessed on a world map which traces your movement from place to place, so it's a glorified menu, but it looks nice. Chapters are basically a bunch of battles in a row with novel style story text between battles. The artwork and music is very nice. In addition, while the main story only refers to specific story characters by name, the characters you pull from the gacha do have personal stories and backgrounds of their own which you can read in their profiles, and the stories expand as you unlock their jobs. Some characters have connections with other characters, so when you pull characters who are connected, they have additional interactions added to their profile text.

Interesting, thanks.

Yeah, I'll admit some of that sounds disappointing; I'm very particular about my tastes. But it sounds like Mistwalker managed to interweave quite a bit of story into the gacha-esque framework, which is cool. I might check it out.

and there's a 4 chapter self-contained story being added in the near future written and designed by Matsuno.

Ha, cool.

duckroll

Interesting, thanks.

Yeah, I'll admit some of that sounds disappointing; I'm very particular about my tastes. But it sounds like Mistwalker managed to interweave quite a bit of story into the gacha-esque framework, which is cool. I might check it out.

It's definitely disappointing if you compare it with a PSP/3DS portable JRPG like say SMTIV. Expectations can be a real bitch. But as a F2P mobile game designed to be playable in short bursts on the go with simple mechanics which can get deeper as you gain more characters and progress further into the game, it's exceptionally well designed. The production values are also awesome considering the size of Mistwalker's team. Lots of great art, a pretty substantial soundtrack, and a story which surprisingly includes all the typical Sakaguchi-isms and spans a variety of locations.

I personally liked it so much that I happily threw 30 bucks into energy at one point even though the game has been so generous that I never felt I needed to spend a cent. I figured paying them for the time I enjoy with the game is worth it because it supports future efforts - mobile or otherwise.

correojon

Interesting, thanks.

Ha, cool.
The battle system is very cool too, a very nice mix of puzzle and strategy, specially at the begginning before you get the more overpowered characters. You can play it in short bursts, but there are also some challenges that will take more time. This is the mobile game I´ve sunk more hours into with a very big difference, really recommended.

Apparently someone Periscoped part of the Q&A session. The recording of it is here: https://www.periscope.tv/SpyHI/1DXxyPLZBlvJM

I haven't watched it yet (am now) but there's not much in the Q&A session that was directly tied to the new project. If there is something that pop up of note, I'll post about it.

EDIT: Just an FYI: there's a heavy whine in the BG of the Periscope. It's fairly annoying, and if you have sensitive hearing it might piss you off a lot. Just a heads up.

Okay, yeah, nothing too specific. Really he just talks in broad strokes in that Periscope. More than anything he gets across his creative process. At the end he explains that in pre-production he tries to come up with "one genius idea a day" over the course of a month. By the end he'll have 30 genius ideas and then they have a game. He also mentioned that his primary goal for his games is to find a way to surprise players. So for example the visual novel sections in Lost Odyssey, which was a (at least in my mind) a clever way of telling Kaim's backstory in an emotional way.

He also talks about who he considers to be most important on his teams. The first is the programmer, because without them, no game. After that is the graphics designer. Given the fact that he spends a whole lot of the time talking about Fujisaka, that's not surprising in the slightest.

Those are the main takeaways that I found/remembered.

anaron

There were 30 chapters when the game first launched, with an ending at the end. Since then they've added 4 additional chapters which act as a post-game sidestory of sorts with an ending as well. They've been talking about adding more story chapters in future, and there's a 4 chapter self-contained story being added in the near future written and designed by Matsuno.

People: LISTEN TO THIS POST AND PLAY TERRA BATTLE

Acidote

I abandoned Terra Battle, a good game, because of it's F2P scheme. The usual "waiting game". I'm done with that, so here's hoping a more traditional approach.

And yes, I played it quite a bit, completed the whole first season 30 chapters and a few more available when I ditched it.

anaron

I abandoned Terra Battle, a good game, because of it's F2P scheme. The usual "waiting game". I'm done with that, so here's hoping a more traditional approach.
when did you abandon it? They've added a shitload of content and updates to it if you left early on.

Soriku

The fact that his big games were funded by MS and Nintendo should indicate to you that the problem was elsewhere.

Funding is only a short term benefit if the audience isn't there to cultivate the company past those few games. If this is a console game and it's not at least on PS4 then you can likely expect no sequel, and Mistwalker goes back to making all phone games.

Just as an update: Sakaguchi has asked me to take down the video. Seeing as he was very nice about the whole affair (and also come on, it's the Gooch), I obliged. Take of that what you will.

Raide

Grab it MS.

Then you can use BC Lost Odyssey to get people ready for the hype. And hopefully secure a LO sequel.

Funding is only a short term benefit if the audience isn't there to cultivate the company past those few games. If this is a console game and it's not at least on PS4 then you can likely expect no sequel, and Mistwalker goes back to making all phone games.

No game at all sure sounds like a better term plan. No game, no audience to worry about. The problem is, the way Mistwalker works, they don't have a developpement arm. They're basically like Sakurai's Sora LTD. They're the mind, but not the arms. And every of their big scale titles were co-developped... and funded by a first party. Because no 3rd party wanted.

Banned
Bravely Default Mobile.

Don't want to sacrifice a turn to stack up defaults? Buy defaults for only $0.99 each!

It kinda is weird how Sakaguchi never went with Sony or at least tried, he tried the whole partnership with both Microsoft and Nintendo... so why not?

Grab it MS.

Then you can use BC Lost Odyssey to get people ready for the hype. And hopefully secure a LO sequel.

Dream on.

I wouldn't complain.

LuuKyK

Gaiga and Samatha FTW! Terra Battle 4 lyfe! Haters go suck a lemon! Mobile Mistwalker is best Mistwalker!!!!!

I will never get over the fact that this game is not available in the brazilian app store. Ugh. At this point I've pretty much given up hope that it will eventually show up. Its so weird, there are a bunch of japanese and korean games that are much more niche that Terra Battle and are there. :(

Please be console but not Nintendo exclusive, i don't wanna see only way to play english with censorship especially like removing minigames...

Top Bottom