• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi shows concept art of new Mistwalker game, hopes to unveil in ~1 yr

WolvenOne

Terra Battle is turn based. It rocks.

Terra Battle is probably one of the best games I've seen on mobile, but it's still not what I'm looking for in a game experience. Conversely many of my best gaming memories involve playing Sakaguchi's console productions. I don't think it's unreasonable to want more of that, when that's the sort of experience you're missing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
WHEN THE FUCK DID SAKAGUCHI GO BACK TO CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT!?

He specifically said he'd never do that!

I hope its on PS4 anyway!

prwxv3

I hope it's a collaboration with SE or something. I don't think MS wants to invest in JRPG games anymore like they did with the 360.

Terra Battle is the only mobile game I've legitimately enjoyed that was specifically designed around a phone. There is an interesting amount of depth just positioning characters while bumping other characters into correct positions.

I'm excited to see what Mistwalkers has brewing, even if it's in the same world/universe as Terra Battle.

Probably an NX game, hence the 'hope to unveil in one year' wording. It probably isn't for the bone because that would just be career suicide at this point, with that console struggling to sell triple digit units weekly in Japan which I'm assuming is a target market for him. If it were a PS4 game he would need a publisher and Mistwalker have yet to make a game with any third party for console.

Mistwalker has been around for about a decade now and have produced three console games. Two published by MS and the third published by Nintendo. But not one third party publisher have made a game with them, why is that? You would think a studio like Mistwalker, with Sakaguchi and that famous composer whose name escapes me, would have been able to secure a publishing deal with a Japanese publisher, especially after the praise for LO and LS. Is his reputation still tarnished by the spirits within, is it because of his history with MS, is he difficult to work with? It's baffling to me that someone who was behind some of the best games made during the golden years of the nineties is not regularly pumping out games with a Bandai Namco, a Tecmo Koei, or some other third party.

Or is the real reason that all those publishers would want a PS4 version of whatever he makes and Sakaguchi is still holding a grudge against Sony such that he would rather not make a game at all than make one on their platform... and thus we have him making games for MS and/or Ninty once every five years when they have an extra couple bucks to spare.

MilkBeard

WHEN THE FUCK DID SAKAGUCHI GO BACK TO CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT!?

He specifically said he'd never do that!

I hope its on PS4 anyway!

I don't think he ever actually said that he wouldn't. He just wanted to focus on mobile and chill, and surf and travel and take pictures of clouds.

Byvar

Wow! I would have been happy even if this was a mobile game, but judging from the fact that 3D is confirmed and they are doing some pretty complex stuff with the art style it looks like a console title! I'm soooooo excited - The Last Story was my favourite game (well, close second to FF9) and the artwork looks so much like it. The one with the kids and the huge friendly-looking creature in the background is especially beautiful and gives a feeling of intimacy just like The Last Story had. I loved that. And I love the description of the art style already - very Cry On-like.
Can. Not. Wait! :D

Please let it be cry on related in some fashion. Oh, and bring this to xbox one and follow it up with a beautiful followup to blue dragon, lost odyssey, or both.

Kieli

I dunno if you guys on the first page skipped the OP, or it was updated, but it says probably current-gen from the Gooch himself.

duckroll

I dunno if you guys on the first page skipped the OP, or it was updated, but it says probably current-gen from the Gooch himself.

Nothing is confirmed:

Hi there. So as stated I'm the guy who was at the talk/Q&A. Just to clarify a few things:

- The art is courtesy of Fujisaka. Part of the reason Sakaguchi wants the game's art to have that sort of sketch 3D look is because of how much of a fan he is of Fujisaka's artwork.
- He didn't state definitively if it was going to be console or mobile. However, an answer to a question seemed to indicate that it was very much a possibility. Unfortunately, I personally don't have a recording of the question (or any). Given that the game will have a 3D art style, that does at least push it a bit more towards the console side (at least in my eyes). Thankfully, my school did record the talk. Hopefully that will be uploaded somewhere soon. In which case, I'll make sure to post a link.
- Beyond that, there was very little actual discussion of the game in question. More than anything it was a question and answer session.

I shot a video of him discussing the artwork (as well as some artwork for some upcoming Terra Battle stuff). In that video you can see an early prototype of what they're trying to go for in the game's look. It's uploading as we speak. It's about 9 minutes long, and the stuff specifically relevant to the new game are in the back half of the video. I'll post a link to that once it finishes uploading.

IzzyF3

The Last Story reminded me how good Sakaguchi games were and I kind of felt Xenoblade stole a lot of its thunder. I hope his new game can get a bigger release overall. I'm a console guy, but if coming out to PC gives it the attention it needs, like Valkyria Chronicles, then do it.

theofficefan99

Not a fan. Bring back the artist of The Last Story please.

I want Sakaguchi to make a game with writing as good as Lost Odyssey's (except with a non-horrible antagonist), with gameplay and art as good as The Last Story's (minus the unnecessary overview of the terrain before every fight, and the extreme linearity).

Pyrrhus

I'm intensely interested in any Sakaguchi project. Really wished I'd seen this thread yesterday when the video was still up. His presence is something the industry and the RPG genre in particular both still badly need. It's a shame we've seen so relatively little of him in the last decade or so.

The Last Story reminded me how good Sakaguchi games were and I kind of felt Xenoblade stole a lot of its thunder. I hope his new game can get a bigger release overall. I'm a console guy, but if coming out to PC gives it the attention it needs, like Valkyria Chronicles, then do it.

Agreed. I think Last Story was a more compact, much better paced experience that had fresher characterization and world design than XB. They were both pretty amazing titles, though.

I don't think he ever actually said that he wouldn't. He just wanted to focus on mobile and chill, and surf and travel and take pictures of clouds.

More likely he didn't have a choice (and still doesn't). Mobile games is all he could do without support from any console game publisher.

More likely he didn't have a choice (and still doesn't). Mobile games is all he could do without support from any console game publisher.

Basically this. Some people just don't get how Mistwalker works. Unless a publisher comes in and say "We want you to make a game. Here's a team and money", we'll only get mobile efforts. Either that or kickstarter.

Squalor

People in here are acting as though The Last Story sold three million copies to give Mistwalker the bankroll to just do whatever they wanted for a bit.

If that had been the case, Cry-On wouldn't have been canceled for "financial instability."

duckroll

People in here are acting as though The Last Story sold three million copies to give Mistwalker the bankroll to just do whatever they wanted for a bit.

If that had been the case, Cry-On wouldn't have been canceled for "financial instability."

You know what would be funny? If more people played the Last Story sequel event in Terra Battle than people who played Last Story itself. :)

Squalor

You know what would be funny? If more people played the Last Story sequel event in Terra Battle than people who played Last Story itself. :)
Goddamn, that would be hilarious. I didn't know there was a sequel event in it. That's cool, though.

To be honest, It's really not out of the realm of possibility, either.

Just speculating, but if its headed for a home console, its likely for NX.

I can't imagine the relation between Sony and Sakaguchi to have been rekindled. The probability for Microsoft being behind it doesn't seem very likely.

Diffense

I briefly thought of mistwalker when Iwata spoke of a "Nintendo-like solution" for having third party games at launch. Obviously this game could be for anything but this thread brought that thought back to my head.

I bought both Xenoblade and Last Story and while I preferred Xenoblade I appreciated TLS as well. It felt like a Sakaguchi game which was nice since the last one I played was FFIX.

Not at all worth the bump. It's not like they're at lunch or phil is at the studio. They're literally both at a press event for an announced game he's not working on.

*Raises flame shield*
I want it on mobile. I loved Terra Battle there despite some of the gacha jank as I have seen it called. If it's not on mobile I probably won't have the time to play it on another platform. Already too many battles for the tv in my household. I also commute via public transportation for hours of every day. 3 hours yesterday. So sorry for being "evil" but mobile is the best platform for my needs personally.

Top Bottom