• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticut [27+ dead including 20+ children]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reason we're seeing all these conspiracies float up is that Adam Lanza have been more careful than most with destroying traces.

At the Aurora shootings they got the guy who did it and at most other shootings there are pretty obvious motives. Klebold and Harris, the Columbine kids, apparently did 200 hours of videotapes detailing their plans, and their reasons for doing what they did.

This guy, extremely reclusive and by all accounts a loner, thoroughly destroyed his computer, killed the only person who seemingly had any real contact with him for the last 2 years and went on a rampage on school he does not seem have had any real connection to.

The police have said that they believe the know the motive, but they have as far as I know not shared it. It's not surprising that people start to speculate. I myself have discussed it with my friends, though I fundamentally believe this was just a very unhappy kid with a lot mental issues.

Hopefully in the coming days and weeks enough information will surface that people will get a sense of understanding what happened.

Look man. I'm not retarded, an idiot, a loony, or whatever the heck you guys want to call me. I'm just very open minded. About everything. You guys are actually the crazy ones for seeing everything so one dimensional. I don't live my life like that. Sorry. I question everything.

Heh.

Questioning things that there's some uncertainty about is healthy. There is 0 uncertainty about what happened here, just like there is zero uncertainty about whether the Earth rotates. Not .0000000000000001 uncertainty. 0. Do you question whether the Earth is flat, or whether magnets attract metal, or whether oxygen is required for life?

If you did, it would be just as insane as the things you are questioning.

You seem to think that "questioning everything" is a good trait. When you actually mean everything, it's just silly

Forever

Banned
Look man. I'm not retarded, an idiot, a loony, or whatever the heck you guys want to call me. I'm just very open minded. About everything. You guys are actually the crazy ones for seeing everything so one dimensional.

I'm not crazy! You're the ones who are crazy! I'm the only one who's not crazy!

KHarvey16

If I had a nickel for every time someone used "but I'm open minded!" as an excuse for believing stupid shit, I wouldn't have had to take money for helping organize the controlled implosion of building 7 at the World Trade Center.

Zophar

Look man. I'm not retarded, an idiot, a loony, or whatever the heck you guys want to call me. I'm just very open minded. About everything. You guys are actually the crazy ones for seeing everything so one dimensional. I don't live my life like that. Sorry. I question everything.

Heh.

If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out. You'd do well to watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

My favorite thing about the "question everything" narrative is that 9 times out of 10 it's the hallmark of someone looking for easy answers and not actually asking questions at all.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Anyone else read this in Jeff Bridges voice?

Heh.

If you truly believe everything you say, I hope, for your sake, someone that loves you helps you get help. God bless you.

Heh.

And I didn't call you any of those things. I challenged you to look at the reasons behind your believing this stuff. I don't think you read the rest of my post.

I also think its kinda uncalled for for you to call me crazy when I called you nothing of the sort. I am sorry that assumed I did. Please address the points I made in my post, and then we can discuss it without resorting to name calling.

Amory

Sorry to bump this depressing topic, but they put a new sign up today at my old middle school to welcome the Newtown transplants.

Untitled.jpg

Some of my family volunteered in getting the classrooms ready for them, and they said everything's set up really nice. Hopefully the rest of the school year is at least somewhat enjoyable for them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/22/167883378/near-replica-of-sandy-hook-made-nearby-for-students

Jesus, didn't even know this was going down. Much respect to your family for helping out with the preparations, and my thoughts are with the families of the victims and surviving students struggling to locate normalcy in the aftermath.

edit: @above, no one's going back to Sandy Hook, at least not for some time now. Looks like volunteers put in a lot of work making a decent replica though.

Man, I don't think I could be in a room where something so horribly sad happened. Poor kids, teachers, everyone.

They won't be. The entire school is being relocated to Jockey Hollow, about 10 - 15 minutes away, just one town over in Monroe, CT. They're taking all the equipment, like desks, chairs and whatnot, but it'll be a totally different school in a different town.

EDIT: And beaten. :p

goomba

Banned
I really Worry about the kids that witnessed that day.... Hope they get free professional support for the rest of their lives
bet they won't :(

Amory

I really Worry about the kids that witnessed that day.... Hope they get free professional support for the rest of their lives

It'll be way worse later in life when they understand exactly what they lived through. Newtown is a fairly affluent community, though, especially the Sandy Hook area. I don't see psychiatric support availability being a problem down the line

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I'm not entirely convinced that "professional support" is the best thing here. They're kids, they will mostly take things in their stride (hell, when I was 8 a schoolfriend of mine had both his parents murdered and he turned out just fine). Having some professional grief-counsellor turn up every month for the next fifty years ain't exactly going to help them get over it is it?

This isn't a bash at the children, but it is a bit of a bash at the "caring professions" who sometimes do more harm than good.

I don't know man, even most adults would go through some kind of PTSD if they were played in that type of situation. I wouldn't be shocked if those kids go through some very tough times as they get older. Random loud bangs sending them into episodes. :(

besada

Banned
I'm not entirely convinced that "professional support" is the best thing here. They're kids, they will mostly take things in their stride (hell, when I was 8 a schoolfriend of mine had both his parents murdered and he turned out just fine). Having some professional grief-counsellor turn up every month for the next fifty years ain't exactly going to help them get over it is it?

This isn't a bash at the children, but it is a bit of a bash at the "caring professions" who sometimes do more harm than good.
As a sample of two, they had one of the fathers on NPR. His daughter, who was there, seemed to be handling it fine, but his son (who'd had previous nightmares about school shootings) who was at another school has had a full-on breakdown and can't stand to be left alone at school. In a couple of months those roles might reverse or they might not.

Different people have different levels of resiliency. The care should be available to all the victims and their families, but not forced without concern for how the individual is handling the trauma.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

You aren't open minded, you are super impressionable. Anyone who honestly questions whether or not the Earth is really spinning in today's modern world is either very ignorant, or just believes whatever he reads or watches.

I'd love to have a thread made by you where you just post the latest conspiracy or new theory or facts you've recently learned. That would be entertaining in it's own space and time. However, your comments about this massacre at a school, well that's just plain immature and dumb, sorry.

Ahhhh

Knock it down. No way anyone should have to go back to that.
I get what you're saying, but financially that's not really an option.

I don't know why they made a replica of the school. I would want it to be different.

Also, yeah tear it down or turn it into a memorial.

I guess with children, throwing them into a an unfamiliar environment can be jarring enough as it is, but after a traumatic event like this, it's made much worse. The idea is to give them a sense of normalcy in order to easier cope.

For the most part, I think these kids will be alright. Children are much more resilient than they're often given credit for.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Surprised it took this long for the vultures to come out.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...rvivor-seeks-to-file-100-million-lawsuit?lite

MERIDEN, Connecticut -- A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on Dec. 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

The shooting, which also left the gunman dead, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother at their home in Newtown before going to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom